Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
MoralTerpitude

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:22 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:07 am Question for the Hopkins folks: if PM is run out of town, do you honestly have faith that Baker can replace him with a better candidate? (I certainly don’t). Seems like your energy would be better suited in finding a replacement for Baker. Promote her out of the athletic department or something.
Maryland is simply that good. They’ve embarrassed other good teams all year long. If anything, Notre Dame is looking better and better holding the Terps to 11 goals.

The Hopkins faithful have a great FO guy showing up right now, Logan Callahan. The kid did great yesterday, after doing great the week before. If I was a Hopkins fan, I’d be enthusiastic about this kids performance. A team can be built around a great FO guy. This kid is looking like the real deal.
Agree with all of this. Hopkins was abit unlucky in that the Terps played relatively poorly against aOSU on defense last week. Were caught ball-watching alot, too focused on Myers, gave up a bunch of inside looks for goals. You could tell how focused they were on D at Homewood. Also, Tillman mentioned in his presser that he brought up last year’s finale at Homewood to remind the team that they couldn’t get complacent. Terps were very motivated and prepared this week. When they’re at the top of their game, they embarass teams. They embarassed UVa and Rutgers, two top 8 teams.

Wierman definitely took some time to warm up at the FO dot, credit to the Hopkins guy. And yes, Notre Dame is looking better and better (particularly with Taylor intheir starting lineup), but I wouldn’t put too much stock into an early season game at Arlotta. There are some things the Terps have cleaned up since then.
Last edited by MoralTerpitude on Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm How many of you were actually at the game??? How many of you who were actually at the game, then stayed the entire game? How of many of you who stayed the entire game, then stayed in the stands AFTER the game?? If you are among the latter, then when did you realize that the Senior Day "celebration" was taking place?? It took me a while.

If ever there was a plain demonstration of incompetence, whether on the part of the Coach, and/or AD, and/or a Little Sht of a President, then having Senior Day AFTER the game was it. What the FCK??? You have a day when guys like Jessie Schwartzman and Joel Tinney were in the house, and you relegate what should be a celebration, an honoring, a thank-you, a hey-win-or-lose-you-are-part-of-a-very-long-tradition-you-are-one-of-us to an after thought when there were more Twerp fans milling around than anyone else (The Band stayed). I felt compelled to apologize to the parents of one senior. It's NOT how anyone should do it (I do not give one rat's ass if that's how Cornell did it, which I doubt they did). That was humiliating. That was insulting. That was just plain fking incompetent, stupid, dumb, moronic ... [you fill in the descriptors]. That smells to me like a Little Sht trying to kill something that I have loved for a very long time. I once ran a minor "Tony Mean$ No Mony" campaign. I'm tempted again.
I remember Senior Day as a celebration, conducted with dignity and solemnity, to honor the Seniors and their families for their contribution to the Hopkins lacrosse tradition. It was a celebration in which both the School and the fans could formally thank the seniors, before they played their last regular-season game at Homewood.

Yesterday's Senior Day was a hollow ghost of those of past years. What was it like for the seniors? What was it like for their families?

I do not have inside knowledge. Was there a compelling reason for holding the celebration after the game, when few were watching and most of the crowd was leaving?

I noticed that Epstein was the last player to leave the field yesterday.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I think I knew a bunch of players when I was at Hop that might not have given Chic high marks on EQ. It's funny how winning cures many ills. Take Nadelen for example - I find it extremely coincidental that when Sunday, Seider, Monahan and probably some others left that Nadelen forgot how to coach. Bob Scott too - guy could not coach to save his life in 1971 but then Thomas/Kowalchuk and Wittelsberger (and others) show up and he's a friggin genius going to 3 straight national championship games. Just such a coincidence
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:49 am And you missed the point of my question. OF COURSE better coaches can be found. BUT can BAKER find them? And hire them? That is the question. And to that, I say no.
From the Hopkins web-site:
Baker graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a degree in aerospace engineering and was a member of the Academy’s women’s lacrosse club team. After the Naval Academy, Baker spent seven years in the Navy, including three years as a pilot and four as a construction manager and facilities engineer. She later earned an MBA and a master’s in mechanical engineering from Cornell.

Real dumbbell - surprised she can find her way to campus in the morning. There's no indication here she has intelligence and can evaluate situations and come up with good solutions.
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:17 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:49 am And you missed the point of my question. OF COURSE better coaches can be found. BUT can BAKER find them? And hire them? That is the question. And to that, I say no.
Baker graduated from the United States Naval Academy with a degree in aerospace engineering and was a member of the Academy’s women’s lacrosse club team. After the Naval Academy, Baker spent seven years in the Navy, including three years as a pilot and four as a construction manager and facilities engineer. She later earned an MBA and a master’s in mechanical engineering from Cornell.

Real dumbbell - surprised she can find her way to campus in the morning. There's no indication here she has intelligence and can evaluate situations and come up with good solutions.
None of that has anything to do with running a successful athletics program. She has zero experience there.
Old Lax Fan

Post by Old Lax Fan »

I was sitting on the far side of the field and did not have a good view of the post-game activities. Was it Murphy who ran to the sidelines, grabbed the crab, and took it out to his teammates?

This Hopkins fan says congratulations to Murphy for playing a good game and to his teammates for winning in a convincing fashion.

Hats off to Benson, as well, who has remarkably remembered how to coach.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Never called her a dumbbell. Never questioned her intelligence. I merely stated I do not think she can make the hire that will change this program. I have a BA and MA from a reputable liberal arts college and own a business....but I could not coach the Baltimore Ravens this fall. One does not mean we are capable of the other.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

courtdog wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:20 am

None of that has anything to do with running a successful athletics program. She has zero experience there.
She was the Associate AD at Cornell, I think she’s more than qualified to run a D3 athletic department. Or did you forget that’s what Hopkins is?
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:52 am ...
Not to mention PM is a father of two whose wife is VERY socially liberal. Do we REALLY think his EQ is that low? Or do some of you just not care of this personality? Again, those are two very different things.
Not sure what having two kids or a "socially liberal wife" has to do with having a high EQ. Maybe I missed something in the literature...
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:28 am
Not to mention PM is a father of two whose wife is VERY socially liberal. Do we REALLY think his EQ is that low? Or do some of you just not care of this personality? Again, those are two very different things.
Not sure what having two kids or a "socially liberal wife" has to do with having a high EQ. Maybe I missed something in the literature...
If this thread is any indication of the Hopkins support base...I wouldn't want to interact with you all either :D
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:28 am
Knowing his wife, I find it very difficult to believe she would marry and have children with someone that does not practice empathy and compassion. Both of those are the cornerstone of high EQs and the cornerstones of her political leanings. That is what I meant.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hopkins is not the only school that does sr day post game. That was a bad mistake tho given what was likely to transpire w/the terps.
They also screwed up moving homecoming to march when for baltimore it's cold out.
The womens team has always been a joke and they got rid of some good things from my time there like villa spellman and the crew team which were beloved but kept a program that has never done anything.
The lacrosse podcasts have thrown bouquets at grant jr for 2 years since he was hired and I don't see anything or anyone he's done that's improved this club. The lack of offensive talent 2 years in has been terrible.
Too bad quint couldn't be bothered to find tinney and schwartzman in the crowd to show that on tv.
Patrick Stevens @D1scourse Earning its way onto the list of ideas that don't look so great in retrospect: Hopkins having its Senior Day ceremonies after this game.
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

get it to x wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 6:46 pm
flalax22 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 4:51 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:31 am Koleton Marquis is going to be a fun one to watch at Homewood:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cco0NzlMLCp/

If the Under Armour team is smart they'll put him in the All-America game this summer (at Homewood again) for the viral highlight potential alone.
wow
Not to state a blinding flash of the obvious, but patience is the watchword here. The program has been around since 1883. Give PM a chance to get his guys in there.
What guys??? What has he been doing? Did any players from Cornell come with him? How did he do in the transfer portal game?
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:32 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:46 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Yeah, I have no real insight into the off-field stuff or the Murphy situation. Aside from today's abomination, what I've seen so far is a team that is generally competitive (including x3 with Maryland last year) with some pretty glaring talent disadvantages (brought into stark relief today) vs the top teams. I've seen several of next years' recruits who I am confident will be very good D1 players. And given that this is not SEC football, Milliman's going to get a chance to turn this around, regardless of who might be calling for his head. So we'll see.
This place feels very much like the Navy thread a few years ago.
:lol: ...except there's no levity here. Just hope this one does not drag on for 8 years.
Maybe not 8 years but it will be a while. Enjoy the ride:

Mediocre coach who wont turn anything around to the overly high level of expectation anytime soon, but will certainly get to live out the remainder of his contract.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:24 am Never called her a dumbbell. Never questioned her intelligence. I merely stated I do not think she can make the hire that will change this program. I have a BA and MA from a reputable liberal arts college and own a business....but I could not coach the Baltimore Ravens this fall. One does not mean we are capable of the other.
You're mixing apples and oranges even more than I am. She's not coaching the team - she is an administrator - she's appears perfectly capable of evaluating candidates for a position and negotiating the particulars to make a decent hire. As IR pointed out she was an associate AD at Cornell reportedly responsible for all of Cornell's athletic facilities. I think she can hire a lacrosse coach - it's not rocket science - oh wait - she is a rocket scientist.

Plus again, it is not like she pulled Milliman out of you know where. She knew him???? OMG - NO - you're kidding. You're telling me - you're telling me that people in positions where they are responsible for hiring people sometimes hire people they know???? No way No way. Not buying it.

He was the coach at Cornell - then ranked #2 in the country. It's not like she hired her next door neighbor who coached the Severna Park JV. Whether it works out or not - it's a defensible hire. And as a good administrator she likely realized she was up against a time crunch to deal with recruiting. So she couldn't take months and months. Milliman may turn out to be a bust - certainly could happen but I think you do have to give him some time as ol Mother Hubbard did not leave hime a stacked cupboard.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:18 am Can someone put the 8 year old in timeout? It wasn't but a month or so ago Milliman was demanding results on the field and was a straight shooter. Now he can't coach his way out of a paper bag and has low EQ? How did Scott Marr's team do against Maryland? I heard that game was a barnburner - no wait - sorry producer speaking in my ear - Danes lost by 18???? Ooops. My bad. Oh and your other Baird man to coach the team - Nadelen - he's 12-21 since 2020.
Albany = JHU.

You heard it here first.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:14 am
Yeah, I have no real insight into the off-field stuff or the Murphy situation. Aside from today's abomination, what I've seen so far is a team that is generally competitive (including x3 with Maryland last year) with some pretty glaring talent disadvantages (brought into stark relief today) vs the top teams. I've seen several of next years' recruits who I am confident will be very good D1 players. And given that this is not SEC football, Milliman's going to get a chance to turn this around, regardless of who might be calling for his head. So we'll see.
:lol: ...except there's no levity here. Just hope this one does not drag on for 8 years.

Mediocre coach who wont turn anything around to the overly high level of expectation anytime soon, but will certainly get to live out the remainder of his contract.
If he had a modicum of sense he would find another position quickly before someone pulls the plug on him.
Any leadership changes at the top and he's history.
PM is not a fit for Johns Hopkins.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:18 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:14 am

If he had a modicum of sense he would find another position quickly before someone pulls the plug on him.
Any leadership changes at the top and he's history.
PM is not a fit for Johns Hopkins.
Agree, but where is PM gonna go that looks like a lateral move? NJIT, Providence, St Johns, Holy Cross ain't that.
Maybe PSU looks a little better. But why would they want PM over Tambroni?
PM's best bet is to stay put for as long as JHU will have him and then leak to Mike Preston that his hands were tied the whole time and find a coordinator position at a lower to mid major. Maybe start a h/s club team in a East Coast metro suburb somewhere and live off the fat of the land.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:16 am He was the coach at Cornell - then ranked #2 in the country. It's not like she hired her next door neighbor who coached the Severna Park JV. Whether it works out or not - it's a defensible hire. And as a good administrator she likely realized she was up against a time crunch to deal with recruiting. So she couldn't take months and months. Milliman may turn out to be a bust - certainly could happen but I think you do have to give him some time as ol Mother Hubbard did not leave hime a stacked cupboard.
What cupboard he had, he ruined.
1) running off key players who could have helped
2) screwing with the heads of other key players

This man is in over his head. Jen Baker did not do her due diligence with this abysmal hire.
I would bring Zim back pronto to serve as interim until the right coach can be found moving forward.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:16 am
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:24 am Never called her a dumbbell. Never questioned her intelligence. I merely stated I do not think she can make the hire that will change this program. I have a BA and MA from a reputable liberal arts college and own a business....but I could not coach the Baltimore Ravens this fall. One does not mean we are capable of the other.
You're mixing apples and oranges even more than I am. She's not coaching the team - she is an administrator - she's appears perfectly capable of evaluating candidates for a position and negotiating the particulars to make a decent hire. As IR pointed out she was an associate AD at Cornell reportedly responsible for all of Cornell's athletic facilities. I think she can hire a lacrosse coach - it's not rocket science - oh wait - she is a rocket scientist.

Plus again, it is not like she pulled Milliman out of you know where. She knew him???? OMG - NO - you're kidding. You're telling me - you're telling me that people in positions where they are responsible for hiring people sometimes hire people they know???? No way No way. Not buying it.

He was the coach at Cornell - then ranked #2 in the country. It's not like she hired her next door neighbor who coached the Severna Park JV. Whether it works out or not - it's a defensible hire. And as a good administrator she likely realized she was up against a time crunch to deal with recruiting. So she couldn't take months and months. Milliman may turn out to be a bust - certainly could happen but I think you do have to give him some time as ol Mother Hubbard did not leave hime a stacked cupboard.
I was responding to Sagittarius (I think) saying "Baker hired him because she knew him at Cornell. Bad reason to hire someone." I do not believe she hired him because she knew him at Cornell. I believe she hired him based on merit and positive feedback from those around her, and the concept that she knew him from Cornell and could speak to his character was an added bonus. I think you may have confused me with someone else. I never said she hired her next door neighbor, I think she hired someone based on the results of a legitimate search.

This is the kind of post that reminds me why I only wade into the Hopkins board waters every so often. Geesh.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”