Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:52 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:22 pm Big test against Loyola on Tuesday. Mid week trap game against a team that the Hoyas historically struggle against. Let’s see how this team responds.
Exactly!
I would be surprised if GU is not up for this game, after last year’s frustrating yet winnable game. They cannot let up even though Loyola has had a very tough year so far.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:05 pm
HGK wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:52 pm
rolldodge wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:22 pm Big test against Loyola on Tuesday. Mid week trap game against a team that the Hoyas historically struggle against. Let’s see how this team responds.
Exactly!
I would be surprised if GU is not up for this game, after last year’s frustrating yet winnable game. They cannot let up even though Loyola has had a very tough year so far.
This is one of those rivalries that transcends the specifics of the year. But I agree with you, that they hopefully learned their lesson from last year and will be ready.

Go Hoyas!
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Loyola is actually playing pretty well right now. They’ve won five of seven, with the two respectable losses to Army and BU. They took Duke apart.

Should be a good test for GTown.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:44 pm Loyola is actually playing pretty well right now. They’ve won five of seven, with the two respectable losses to Army and BU. They took Duke apart.

Should be a good test for GTown.
They have been. I was actually surprised by the BU score. Thought it would be a closer game. Should be a battle.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

BU scored a bunch in transition. Hopefully Gtown can replicate that and push the pace. Have watched Loyola a decent amount, their half field defense is very very good (save for the MD game in Feb). Pretty much shut Duke down earlier. Scratching my head at why they are just a .500 team.
HGK

Post by HGK »

As Rolldodge said you can throw out the records and rankings for this game. And agree the Loyola 6v6 defense is very good. Hopefully after last year’s clunker, the Hoyas are locked in and ready to go!
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Hoya Saxa!
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:55 am BU scored a bunch in transition. Hopefully Gtown can replicate that and push the pace. Have watched Loyola a decent amount, their half field defense is very very good (save for the MD game in Feb). Pretty much shut Duke down earlier. Scratching my head at why they are just a .500 team.

Us Hounds fans are equally perplexed. We just can’t seem to string together four good quarters. Even in the Duke game, we basically ran out the clock after going up huge.

At the risk of (and apologies for) mentioning this on the opponents thread…Here’s to the smaller Jesuit program coming out on top tonight!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Defense was nasty. Offense was uncharacteristically a bit undisciplined. Shot 14/54.

But it’s a good day when your offense plays sloppy and you double up on a team you haven’t beaten in 9 years (15 years at home). Lots of good material for film sessions.

Go Hoyas! On to the next challenge.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Nice to see the SC Top 10 for Watson and the program. Kid leads the country in goals per game and is tied second in total goals, 3 behind O’neill with 3 games in hand. He is not the prototypical attackman but he has to be in the top 6 AA conversation at the position at this point.

Team needs to finish strong. SJU and then a big Nova game for seeding and momentum.

Will be fun to have the BET on Cooper field.

Let’s go Hoyas!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HGK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:16 pm Nice to see the SC Top 10 for Watson and the program. Kid leads the country in goals per game and is tied second in total goals, 3 behind O’neill with 3 games in hand. He is not the prototypical attackman but he has to be in the top 6 AA conversation at the position at this point.

Team needs to finish strong. SJU and then a big Nova game for seeding and momentum.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Watson is prototypical of a certain type of attackman -- think Mac O'Keefe, Ryan Brown, Chris Cloutier .. Cormier for UVA. Or even throwback to Scotty U. He's arguably the best shooter/finisher in D1 and the stats back it up. Fortunately for us, he seems to be continuing to gain confidence and versatility as the season goes on.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Congrats to Bowen, McElroy, and Bundy for making the Tewaaraton nominee cut.

It's a shame Watson isn't up there too. Leading the NCAAs in goals per game and on a top 3 team. Seems like a good fit for Tewaaraton.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 pm
HGK wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:16 pm Nice to see the SC Top 10 for Watson and the program. Kid leads the country in goals per game and is tied second in total goals, 3 behind O’neill with 3 games in hand. He is not the prototypical attackman but he has to be in the top 6 AA conversation at the position at this point.

Let’s go Hoyas!
Watson is prototypical of a certain type of attackman -- think Mac O'Keefe, Ryan Brown, Chris Cloutier .. Cormier for UVA. Or even throwback to Scotty U. He's arguably the best shooter/finisher in D1 and the stats back it up. Fortunately for us, he seems to be continuing to gain confidence and versatility as the season goes on.
I don’t disagree he is in the mold of great players you mention. I guess my point was more he is not a scorer and feeder like a Gray, Kavanagh etc and i think that he is hurt by that comparison even though that is not his role. The Tewarton list i think highlights that. If he were classified as a midfielder, which he plays more like than an attackman, he’d be on it without a doubt IMO.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

The thing that impresses me about Watson is the amount of good shots he gets game in and game out. It’s not like he can just go get his shot off the dodge, but he is still constantly open. And I’m sure the defensive plan is to not allow him to get those shots.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Makes sense. I agree that as more of a pure scorer it’s harder to get recognition like the Tewaarton list.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:49 am The thing that impresses me about Watson is the amount of good shots he gets game in and game out. It’s not like he can just go get his shot off the dodge, but he is still constantly open. And I’m sure the defensive plan is to not allow him to get those shots.
This is a testament both to him and to the offense Phipps has put together.

Also impressive is the thought he puts behind shot placement, often taking a little off a shot to place it elsewhere when the goalie tries to find a pattern in his shooting.

McDermott had been much better this year in this regard also.
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

Glad to see that Cade Caggiano got some run today. I saw him practice more than a few times here in Charlotte (he was on my son's club team for a while, just a bit older) and he can really shoot the lights out.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Not to get ahead of ourselves but he does have a little Watson look to his game…
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

What happened to the St. John’s program? That could have been 35-6.

I remember them being at least respectable in the recent years
HGK

Post by HGK »

Stony Brook having a pretty good year but they, SJU and Hofstra have all really dropped off in past 5 years or so. Kids not staying on island for college as other schools offer such incredible facilities may be part of it. That divide has grown. Just look at the Thompson Center. Georgetown now has a very very legit facility to offer beyond just academics. Just a thought.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”