Northwestern v. Maryland 4/23/2022 at 11:30 AM

D1 Womens Lacrosse
JoeMauer89

Re: Northwestern v. Maryland 4/23/2022 at 11:30 AM

Post by JoeMauer89 »

njbill wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:47 pm I can personally attest to that from my one time (aborted) 20 second personal inspection.

(This in response to the Kayla Treanor comment.)
It's 100% astroturf njbill, your suspicions are right. Not the easiest place to play.

Joe
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

More hardware ( BiG champions ) for woman’s lacrosse royalty in the flag trimmed whites!!

Good to see the swagger back.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 3:38 pm More hardware ( BiG champions ) for woman’s lacrosse royalty in the flag trimmed whites!!

Good to see the swagger back.
Great performance today. The Big 10 final/rematch should be a real dogfight.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Brutal game by NU...solid all-around game by Maryland. They deserved to win.

NO ONE, absolutely, NO ONE better tell me anything about Goalie play and what it is or isn't! Emily Sterling was simply outstanding! Great patience, sighted the ball well, solid fundamentals and techniques. SHE was the difference and the turnovers by NU. Not a good game by the group from Evanston, but they will bounce back.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:55 pm Brutal game by NU...solid all-around game by Maryland. They deserved to win.

NO ONE, absolutely, NO ONE better tell me anything about Goalie play and what it is or isn't! Emily Sterling was simply outstanding! Great patience, sighted the ball well, solid fundamentals and techniques. SHE was the difference and the turnovers by NU. Not a good game by the group from Evanston, but they will bounce back.
And KAH? No adjustments? Nothing? Cathy take it to her?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

If a tree falls in the woods does it make any NOISE?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:00 pm
LarryGamLax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:55 pm Brutal game by NU...solid all-around game by Maryland. They deserved to win.

Great questions. I'm very interested to hear the response. While waiting, what adjustments would you have made?
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:17 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 pm they play smart, sound fundamental lacrosse and they keep their mistakes and mental errors to a minimum.
I wouldn't call myself a huge Maryland fan, but this is one of the main reasons I find it hard to hate them. I have always respected their discipline & their brand of lacrosse.
And it's not just "this version". Have they had inferior talent at times , yes. But as you said, this is their brand.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:43 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:05 pm they play smart, sound fundamental lacrosse and they keep their mistakes and mental errors to a minimum.
I wouldn't call myself a huge Maryland fan, but this is one of the main reasons I find it hard to hate them. I have always respected their discipline & their brand of lacrosse.
And it's not just "this version". Have they had inferior talent at times , yes. But as you said, this is their brand.
By "this version", do you mean the '22 Terps? If so, I strongly disagree. They were making plenty of errors in '20 and '21. Those teams were clearly departures from what their brand is. This years team is starting to remind me of the '19 team. Rounding more and more into form as the season progresses. If they played JMU again, they'd handle them easily.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

I'm saying it wasn't a departure from their brand it was teams who had more difficulty executing it. Emily Sterling having a year makes a difference as well.
Regardless, Go Terps.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

No it's definitely not just this version. They've always played good lacrosse. Nothing super fancy, no smoke and mirrors, just very simple, effective, meat & potatoes lacrosse and I mean that as a compliment.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:34 pm
No it's definitely not just this version. They've always played good lacrosse. Nothing super fancy, no smoke and mirrors, just very simple, effective, meat & potatoes lacrosse and I mean that as a compliment.
I think you and I are in agreement. I should have quoted what I was responding too originally. The Terps as all the best teams have a culture, method, blueprint.
OuttaNowhereWregget

tothedraw wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:25 pm I'm saying it wasn't a departure from their brand it was teams who had more difficulty executing it. Emily Sterling having a year makes a difference as well.
Regardless, Go Terps.
I see. Thanks for explaining.
OuttaNowhereWregget

I like the prefatory footwork before making the save. (Swipe left to see if picture shows first.)

https://www.instagram.com/p/CctfCFFu7lJ ... MyMTA2M2Y=
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm If a tree falls in the woods does it make any NOISE?

If that tree falls on a jackass, does he scream for help, pass out immediately or file a lawsuit against the reason for the tree being on top of him?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

LarryGamLax wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 4:03 am
Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 5:48 pm If a tree falls in the woods does it make any NOISE?

If that tree falls on a jackass, does he scream for help, pass out immediately or file a lawsuit against the reason for the tree being on top of him?
Probably depends on the size of the tree, or better yet, the size of the jackass…or maybe even the amount of noise that tree (jackass) continues to make.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:01 pm

Great questions. I'm very interested to hear the response. While waiting, what adjustments would you have made?
First, I think Reese had a better game plan; she understood the need to move the ball very quickly. My guess is that during film sessions they as much as told May should we be a big option. The doubles to Cordingly (when she got the ball) and Leubecker (whenever she got the ball) were going to create space and open players in the middle and on the weak side.

Second, NU ran an offense that could be called "give the ball eventually to Lauren or Jill, set some picks and hope they can get their hands free." For all the talk about Kuykendall's passing acumen -- and she is an excellent distributor -- there was rarely anyone open in the middle to whom she could move the ball. A nice shot from No. 24 or 29, and a nice shot from No. 10 -- at tough angles -- were pretty much all the supporting cast gave NU. Maryland's on-ball defense was really good, and Bosco in particular was excellent. Behind by five at the half, NU came out and kept trying the same thing, over and over. They needed to move the ball faster and better, create overloads, provide lanes for Gilbert's extraordinary first step and speed, and didn't. Just not great offense, and really not using the talents of the five other players in the offensive zone very well, in my stupid opinion.

Third, in the end, Maryland had more good players and played as a unit on both ends much better than NU. In my view, this is a product of recruiting for sure, but also of coaching and game planning.

And fourth, Sterling was sterling.

For the record (here at FL), I was not a Maryland rejuvenation believer. Now I am. They played absolutely beautiful offense yesterday, and terrific "whole-unit" defense, backed up by a skilled and confident keeper. Those are the ingredients for a date in late May. I still think UNC and BC are better. But I am pretty sure Maryland could play with Cuse, Loyola and Stony Brook.
Maryland75

Post by Maryland75 »

Maryland I believe has shown that it is back in the mix. There has been talk about how they would fair when Northwestern face guarded Cordingly and that was answered yesterday. They have plenty of offensive weapons and their defense along with Sterling as gk was superb. I don’t know how far they’ll go in the tournament but they are a joy to watch.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

Terps are back.

They play a different type game than the others. They bait the defense into falling for a number of sneaky goals. They have a higher lacrosse IQ much like the men’s team. They are good at dodging but equally good at moving, picking and passing. They also have more speed than any other team. The swagger is back and the lower ranked they are… the more dangerous they are. They play happy and loose.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:00 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:01 pm

First, I think Reese had a better game plan; she understood the need to move the ball very quickly. My guess is that during film sessions they as much as told May should we be a big option. The doubles to Cordingly (when she got the ball) and Leubecker (whenever she got the ball) were going to create space and open players in the middle and on the weak side.

Second, NU ran an offense that could be called "give the ball eventually to Lauren or Jill, set some picks and hope they can get their hands free." For all the talk about Kuykendall's passing acumen -- and she is an excellent distributor -- there was rarely anyone open in the middle to whom she could move the ball. A nice shot from No. 24 or 29, and a nice shot from No. 10 -- at tough angles -- were pretty much all the supporting cast gave NU. Maryland's on-ball defense was really good, and Bosco in particular was excellent. Behind by five at the half, NU came out and kept trying the same thing, over and over. They needed to move the ball faster and better, create overloads, provide lanes for Gilbert's extraordinary first step and speed, and didn't. Just not great offense, and really not using the talents of the five other players in the offensive zone very well, in my stupid opinion.

Third, in the end, Maryland had more good players and played as a unit on both ends much better than NU. In my view, this is a product of recruiting for sure, but also of coaching and game planning.

And fourth, Sterling was sterling.

For the record (here at FL), I was not a Maryland rejuvenation believer. Now I am. They played absolutely beautiful offense yesterday, and terrific "whole-unit" defense, backed up by a skilled and confident keeper. Those are the ingredients for a date in late May. I still think UNC and BC are better. But I am pretty sure Maryland could play with Cuse, Loyola and Stony Brook.
Thanks very much for the generous response. Little by little, some of what folks in the know, like you, share and teach about the game, seeps into this hard head of mine. I appreciate it.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”