Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ruffled_Feathers

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:00 am Per the Kevin Brown game recap on IL:

"I’m proud of the seniors for what they’ve given this program and what this program is going to do to honor them. Where we go from here is going to reflect that," Hopkins coach Peter Milliman said. "I have confidence and assurance that we are going to handle this the right way and honor these guys the right way that these guys deserve because this is not the last game at Homewood that these guys will play."

Does anyone know what that last sentence means? Is he talking about seniors with the Covid year left that may stick around?
First round of B10 tourney next weekend is at home for us against PSU...
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:08 am
MoralTerpitude wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:00 am Per the Kevin Brown game recap on IL:

"I’m proud of the seniors for what they’ve given this program and what this program is going to do to honor them. Where we go from here is going to reflect that," Hopkins coach Peter Milliman said. "I have confidence and assurance that we are going to handle this the right way and honor these guys the right way that these guys deserve because this is not the last game at Homewood that these guys will play."

Does anyone know what that last sentence means? Is he talking about seniors with the Covid year left that may stick around?
First round of B10 tourney next weekend is at home for us against PSU...
Ah ok. Thanks.
old salt

Post by old salt »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:46 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Yeah, I have no real insight into the off-field stuff or the Murphy situation. Aside from today's abomination, what I've seen so far is a team that is generally competitive (including x3 with Maryland last year) with some pretty glaring talent disadvantages (brought into stark relief today) vs the top teams. I've seen several of next years' recruits who I am confident will be very good D1 players. And given that this is not SEC football, Milliman's going to get a chance to turn this around, regardless of who might be calling for his head. So we'll see.
This place feels very much like the Navy thread a few years ago.
:lol: ...except there's no levity here. Just hope this one does not drag on for 8 years.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:32 am
Yeah, I have no real insight into the off-field stuff or the Murphy situation. Aside from today's abomination, what I've seen so far is a team that is generally competitive (including x3 with Maryland last year) with some pretty glaring talent disadvantages (brought into stark relief today) vs the top teams. I've seen several of next years' recruits who I am confident will be very good D1 players. And given that this is not SEC football, Milliman's going to get a chance to turn this around, regardless of who might be calling for his head. So we'll see.
:lol: ...except there's no levity here.
I thought LaxPundit's “Jerry, it's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner's here. George is dead. Call me back!” was pretty solid....
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:34 am
I thought LaxPundit's “Jerry, it's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner's here. George is dead. Call me back!” was pretty solid....
I didn't go back that far in the thread, but it wouldn't matter since I was not a Seinfeld watcher.

This still does not diminish my happiness in ending Navy's losing streak at Homewood, which dates back to 1969 (which I attended).

JHU's AD is a USNA WLax club player. I hope she survives long enough to keep Navy & JHU playing every year.
I'd like to see Navy take advantage of these rebuilding years.
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

harflax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:49 pm
jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:28 pm
harflax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 pm Baltmore Sun writer Mike Preston eviscerates Millman, Hopkins.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

"The Johns Hopkins lacrosse community has to be disgruntled at this time. In nearly two years under coach Peter Milliman, the Blue Jays have shown little progress and were overwhelmed and embarrassed by No. 1 Maryland Saturday night at Homewood Field in Baltimore."
-I find the womens act more obscene. That coach finally being put out to pasture has been there a lot longer, has a brand created by the mens program and their social media looks like a country club/sorority who also happens to play lacrosse. Love how they represent Daniels diversity equity inclusion there too. I'm sure they also have a group that is 20 percent first in their family to attend college like the accepted students in the incoming freshman class. I look at the top 25 of the womens polls and I see a bunch of programs without the academics, tradition, or location of Hopkins.
-Benson recruited more of the players in that Hopkins lineup than he did maryland guys or pm did hopkins guys. That was his offense looking awful. Dan Snyder should hire Benson's press helpers.
-Michigan has had a program for 10 years, they've done nothing but play cleveland state tough.
-As 51 pointed out PM could not turn over the 58 active players that Petro left behind plus 2 classes of recruits in 2 years. There's just no way in a pandemic you cut all that fat. But the clearing, the turnovers, the fact he ran Bensons offensive folks out there for 2 years and did nothing with it. Yikes. It won't get easier next year when the team will presumably get a lot younger.
Janine Tucker, nice person, a very mediocre at best lacrosse coach. Pressure is on Baker and the athletic administration to find a good successor for Tucker. Right now their mens' hire seems to have the program going in the wrong direction.
I am no insider, not am I a coaching expert, but when I glance at the majors and academic accolades of the Lady Jays, it seems to me that her rosters resemble our D-III teams more than the mens'. I assume she does not have the recruiting latitude PM has (to say nothing of what Chic might have had back in the day), nor the latitude of some of the opposing coaches.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Maryland could have named the score. Worst home game loss in history. Previous was 14. This one could have been 20.Worst game i have seen Hopkins play.

When the new coaching staff was hired wanted to gain some insight. I grew up in Rochester so i placed a few calls. The lack of social skills with PM was mentioned a few times. Yesterday’s Senior Day “celebration was a disgrace compared to our tradition.

The Hopkins Hundred’s Breakfast was also a fail. Open sided tent and a cold morning with attendance reduced to two tables of parents and two of members. It used to be much greater in attendance. Coach did not go table to table to greet and thank the attendees for coming.

These kinds of things matter and are barometers
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Hopkins posted the presser - or some of it - Milliman looks absolutely stunned - he can't even find words - probably a natural reaction.

My primary thought over this is - What did you expect? One team is the #1 team in the nation undefeated and has averaged 20 goals per game over its last 6 games - including 4 identical opponents to Hopkins and the defending national champs - the other team was 6-7 and has tons of difficulty scoring more than 10 goals per game. This game was destined to be an 8-10 goal defeat at best. Not Petro, not Zim, not Chic, not Mr. Scott could have prevented it. They have better talent at every position and they can see they are 6 games away from a perfect undefeated season so they are motivated.

While in general - news articles - especially in this day and age are typically inflammatory - Preston is an idiot - on the one hand he blames Milliman - on the other he says Petro left him with no talent.

Hopkins has NO ONE that can consistently beat his man and cause the defense to do something. They are undersized and do not have blinding speed and quickness to completely offset that problem. A middie does an up top dodge and the opposing SSDM shoves him off the field. Maryland wouldn't slide to anybody with the possible exception of Degnon if it looked like he might get his hands free.

Janine Tucker is a very good coach - an even better person - and I thought she herself put to bed this "out to pasture" crap.

Murphy - so let me get this straight - Milliman gets hired in April of 2020 - and immediately takes a disliking to this kid - someone he quite possibly had never met in person and in the ultimate cut off your nose to spite your face move - runs an offensive talent off the team for missing a meeting? Last time I checked coaches like to win and their income typically increases through various means when they do win and they get to attract talented players because they like to be coached to win - so whatever Milliman is - I don't think he's stupid - so you'll have to excuse me in that I think there was more to be learned here. BTW - as I may have said before - Dave and B squared could play favorites with the best of them and in fact - one of the current players undoubtedly being referenced as an issue can be directly traced back to Petro.

One of the things I liked best aboout the team last year was they could have packed up their bags at several points in the season but they didn't - they kept fighting. It will be fascinating to see what happens in the BIG game given that your reward for winning that game is playing Maryland again. Do they really want to spend 10 or so more days together?

With respect to CBB's post - that is awful - I sat here trying to think of any explanation that has logic to it and I can't. But again, I sincerely doubt that decision rose to the level of Ron Daniels - it is much more probable that he was only generally aware there was a lacrosse game over the week-end. This is on Baker and Milliman. They owe those seniors and their families an explanation and an apology.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Question for the Hopkins folks: if PM is run out of town, do you honestly have faith that Baker can replace him with a better candidate? (I certainly don’t). Seems like your energy would be better suited in finding a replacement for Baker. Promote her out of the athletic department or something.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:07 am Question for the Hopkins folks: if PM is run out of town, do you honestly have faith that Baker can replace him with a better candidate? (I certainly don’t). Seems like your energy would be better suited in finding a replacement for Baker. Promote her out of the athletic department or something.

Millman is fine. The team will compete next year and the years after. If Miklman makes a mistake like when to hold Senior Day, he’ll learn; he doesn’t purposely make culture mistakes, c’mon.

Maryland is simply that good. They’ve embarrassed other good teams all year long. If anything, Notre Dame is looking better and better holding the Terps to 11 goals.

The Hopkins faithful have a great FO guy showing up right now, Logan Callahan. The kid did great yesterday, after doing great the week before. If I was a Hopkins fan, I’d be enthusiastic about this kids performance. A team can be built around a great FO guy. This kid is looking like the real deal.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:07 am Question for the Hopkins folks: if PM is run out of town, do you honestly have faith that Baker can replace him with a better candidate? (I certainly don’t). Seems like your energy would be better suited in finding a replacement for Baker. Promote her out of the athletic department or something.
I would like to hear Baker's exit interview after being fired. "Uh Jen - I know that only 4 teams at Hopkins have had losing records last year (including Men's Water Polo, Men's Wrestling, and Womens Swimming) and the Football team went 10-2, the basketball teams had a combined record of 45-9, men's tennis is 13-1, the women's cross country team won another title, field hockey was 22-1, and vollyball was 31-1 and you might win another D3 Director's Cup but we're going to have to go in a different direction" Is that how it's supposed to go?

She's getting a raise in all probability.
OCanada wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 am Worst game i have seen Hopkins play.
I saw Duke the 2010 and the 2017 versions - in the NCAA tournament - just as mismatched and just as bad.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

a fan wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 12:34 am
Very solid message board comedy. I agree.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

harflax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 pm Baltmore Sun writer Mike Preston eviscerates Millman, Hopkins.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

"The Johns Hopkins lacrosse community has to be disgruntled at this time. In nearly two years under coach Peter Milliman, the Blue Jays have shown little progress and were overwhelmed and embarrassed by No. 1 Maryland Saturday night at Homewood Field in Baltimore."
Go Mike Preston!
Man tells it like it is.
Now it's not just me saying this guy PM is a joke. The Baltimore Sun, who hardly ever writes about lacrosse anymore, just chimed in.
Maybe RD and JB will finally wake up and smell the coffee!!!!
Thank you Mike.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 7:33 am When the new coaching staff was hired wanted to gain some insight. I grew up in Rochester so i placed a few calls. The lack of social skills with PM was mentioned a few times. Yesterday’s Senior Day “celebration was a disgrace compared to our tradition.

The Hopkins Hundred’s Breakfast was also a fail. Open sided tent and a cold morning with attendance reduced to two tables of parents and two of members. It used to be much greater in attendance. Coach did not go table to table to greet and thank the attendees for coming.

These kinds of things matter and are barometers
Hey thanks for posting this. I've said before on here that PM had a very low EQ.
Everyone argues with me all the time, but this is the kind of evidence that supports this assertion.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:22 am

Millman is fine. The team will compete next year and the years after. If Miklman makes a mistake like when to hold Senior Day, he’ll learn; he doesn’t purposely make culture mistakes, c’mon.

Maryland is simply that good. They’ve embarrassed other good teams all year long. If anything, Notre Dame is looking better and better holding the Terps to 11 goals.

The Hopkins faithful have a great FO guy showing up right now, Logan Callahan. The kid did great yesterday, after doing great the week before. If I was a Hopkins fan, I’d be enthusiastic about this kids performance. A team can be built around a great FO guy. This kid is looking like the real deal.
He’s been anointed leader of this 130+ year program full of customs and traditions. I refuse to give him a pass and say it’s unintentional. All he has to do is walk 5 feet into Jamison’s office and ask what the history and expectation is and if he still wants to change it well then he most likely will hear about it like he is right now about HIS Senior Day debacle
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

I absolutely think better coaches can be found. Look down the road.
Baker hired him because she knew him at Cornell. Bad reason to hire someone.
This staff have proven themselves to be historically bad, JK excepted IMO.
PM has already cemented his legacy as the worst coach in Hopkins lacrosse history.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Hail to the Victors wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:58 pm
flalax22 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 pm
ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm How many of you were actually at the game??? How many of you who were actually at the game, then stayed the entire game? How of many of you who stayed the entire game, then stayed in the stands AFTER the game?? If you are among the latter, then when did you realize that the Senior Day "celebration" was taking place?? It took me a while.

If ever there was a plain demonstration of incompetence, whether on the part of the Coach, and/or AD, and/or a Little Sht of a President, then having Senior Day AFTER the game was it. What the FCK??? You have a day when guys like Jessie Schwartzman and Joel Tinney were in the house, and you relegate what should be a celebration, an honoring, a thank-you, a hey-win-or-lose-you-are-part-of-a-very-long-tradition-you-are-one-of-us to an after thought when there were more Twerp fans milling around than anyone else (The Band stayed). I felt compelled to apologize to the parents of one senior. It's NOT how anyone should do it (I do not give one rat's ass if that's how Cornell did it, which I doubt they did). That was humiliating. That was insulting. That was just plain fking incompetent, stupid, dumb, moronic ... [you fill in the descriptors]. That smells to me like a Little Sht trying to kill something that I have loved for a very long time. I once ran a minor "Tony Mean$ No Mony" campaign. I'm tempted again.
I’m glad someone said it. Senior Day festivities take place before the game. PM has changed it to post game. Humiliating defeat, then they have to wait while Maryland parades the Rivalry Crab around Homewood and oh hey let’s now celebrate our seniors. Absolutely embarrassing. The fact that Coach Koesterer hasn’t clued PM into some of the traditions says something of this coaching staff dynamic
If it was Millman's idea, then he's a horse's *ss. If it was directed by someone above him, then he's a p*ssy for not telling them "no."
Good observation.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Can someone put the 8 year old in timeout? It wasn't but a month or so ago Milliman was demanding results on the field and was a straight shooter. Now he can't coach his way out of a paper bag and has low EQ? How did Scott Marr's team do against Maryland? I heard that game was a barnburner - no wait - sorry producer speaking in my ear - Danes lost by 18???? Ooops. My bad. Oh and your other Baird man to coach the team - Nadelen - he's 12-21 since 2020.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 8:52 am
I absolutely think better coaches can be found. Look down the road.
Baker hired him because she knew him at Cornell. Bad reason to hire someone.
This staff have proven themselves to be historically bad, JK excepted IMO.
PM has already cemented his legacy as the worst coach in Hopkins lacrosse history.
Just for the sake of the exercise, are you certain that Baker hired PM solely because she knew him at Cornell? That cannot be the only reason. It seems more likely that she knew him at Cornell, he had success there (albeit brief), he impressed in the interview process, search committee offered positive feedback on him, etc etc.

And you missed the point of my question. OF COURSE better coaches can be found. BUT can BAKER find them? And hire them? That is the question. And to that, I say no.
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:18 am Can someone put the 8 year old in timeout? It wasn't but a month or so ago Milliman was demanding results on the field and was a straight shooter. Now he can't coach his way out of a paper bag and has low EQ? How did Scott Marr's team do against Maryland? I heard that game was a barnburner - no wait - sorry producer speaking in my ear - Danes lost by 18???? Ooops. My bad. Oh and your other Baird man to coach the team - Nadelen - he's 12-21 since 2020.
The whole EQ thing may be a bit over blown. Brian Kelly (Notre Dame/now LSU) was a horse’s ass. But he won a ton of football games at Notre Dame in a very similar situation (historically significant program, fallen on hard times, etc). He had them consistently in top 10 and went to multiple CFP. I don’t think the EQ thing is always top of list of needs. Not to mention PM is a father of two whose wife is VERY socially liberal. Do we REALLY think his EQ is that low? Or do some of you just not care of this personality? Again, those are two very different things.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”