Progressive Ideology

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: Progressive Ideology

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:11 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:05 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:01 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:23 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:03 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:21 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:53 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:40 am
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:23 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 9:18 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:05 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 5:25 pm Re Fryer:

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2021 ... uspension/

https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2021 ... o-harvard/

Very interesting guy, all sorts of interesting work...much of it controversial, sure, but Harvard, like other Ivies, actually embraces that sort of thing, including from conservative perspectives, much as that reality runs counter to the narrative of Ivies being bastions of solely hyper-liberal orthodoxy.

Especially untrue in many of the Economics departments, including Harvard's.
So, are we now agreed that the substack article that "came across (C&S's) phone" was complete journalistic malpractice, what we used to call bullsh*t?
So you think I'm lying about the article?? I receive dozens of different news blurbs on this app every day. I didn't look for it counselor, it showed up as one of many I get every day. I didn't realize it would cause so much chaos amongst some people on our forum. I certainly never thought so many of you would insinuate I'm lying about where I read it.
Who said you were lying? I am certain that article showed up on your phone. I am also not surprised that it’s dozens of articles every day delivered to you. That’s some app.
Those folks at Verizon know their chit. It is similar to something like the Drudge Report. They have national news, US news and even NYS news. It is a conglomeration of a bunch of different news organizations.
I am sure it does! I only get notifications from the Economist, Reuters, WSJ, CNN, Bloomberg, NYT, WP and my local Patch. I don’t have that app. Your app is better!
You can look it up. The app is called Newsbreak. Oddly enough it is owned by a Chinese business man. Hell for all I know I've been brainwashed by the ChiComs for the past 2 years.
I am certain of it.
The way I understand it that type of brainwashing is most effective on college graduates. Us blue collar folk are too dumb to comprehend.
Is this how they get to you?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Wq-wlaUta4A
Nope, I'm too stupid to be brainwashed. I just sit here and watch reruns of NASCAR and drool all over myself.
And you claim you don’t smoke weed but that’s the life of a lover of High Times…
Grasshopper, I stopped smoking weed before my son was born in 1987. Before that I smoked weed almost every day. I will be honest with you. My wife has a big fat doobie her boss at work gave her to mellow out. I don't know if I want to go back down that road again. I would have to defer to Dmac for his professional opinion.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

CRT (& assoc. cultural Marxism) teaches that America was fundamentally flawed from its inception and is irredeemable.

Some can't control America like they want, so they know they must completely divide it.

CRT is not history - it's a tool for dismantling a free country.

(Ron Desantis’ Deputy Press Secretary)
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:18 pm CRT (& assoc. cultural Marxism) teaches that America was fundamentally flawed from its inception and is irredeemable.

Some can't control America like they want, so they know they must completely divide it.
:lol: :lol: How do you tell your voter base that you're playing them for fools....while pretending that this statement applies to "the other side"?

They're not going to pee on your leg, and tell you it's raining Pete. They're going to pee on your leg, look you in the eye, and tell you they're peeing on your leg.

Takes a special mind to cheer on the team that's peeing on your leg, Pete! Nice job!

Good thing your State is "saved" from the menace that's CRT. You're all set now.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:44 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:18 pm CRT (& assoc. cultural Marxism) teaches that America was fundamentally flawed from its inception and is irredeemable.

:lol: :lol: How do you tell your voter base that you're playing them for fools....while pretending that this statement applies to "the other side"?

They're not going to pee on your leg, and tell you it's raining Pete. They're going to pee on your leg, look you in the eye, and tell you they're peeing on your leg.

Takes a special mind to cheer on the team that's peeing on your leg, Pete! Nice job!

Good thing your State is "saved" from the menace that's CRT. You're all set now.

It’s not simply CRT where the lunatic fringe of the Democratic Party is trying to subvert America, but gender theory as well.

I desperately wish you’d understand how tragic the overall movement is, because on November 9th, while you’re nursing a hangover, you’ll still be ranting how ‘all Americans are racists, bigots, sexists, and homophobes’…conveniently forgetting we elected a black President, we have a female VP, and no one cares if you’re gay or straight.

Read this editorial and try to understand what’s going on with the Democratic Party. I don’t hold out much hope because I think you’ve long gone over the edge, but for others, perhaps you’ll grasp the dangers of the lunacy of leftist ideology (there is NO NATURAL REGULATOR, leftism by default always ends up in the furthest ruin):

https://www.newsweek.com/new-homophobia-opinion-1698969
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

"we" Mrs. Lindbergh?

I don't recall the GOP electing a black President, a female VP or not opposing gay marriage...or...

Perhaps Petey means that he's been secretly voting for these?

No one I know is saying "all Americans are racists, bigots, sexists, and homophobes", that applies just to guys specifically like Petey....and DeSantis and much of the radical, populist GOP of today.

A minority of Americans....but in some regions, they are a majority... or at least desperately want to remain such.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:39 am "we" Mrs. Lindbergh?

I don't recall the GOP electing a black President, a female VP or not opposing gay marriage...or...

No one I know is saying "all Americans are racists, bigots, sexists, and homophobes", that applies just to guys specifically like Petey....and DeSantis and much of the radical, populist GOP of today.

A minority of Americans....but in some regions, they are a majority... or at least desperately want to remain such.

It’s a political euphemism, meant to convey that Americans are way past your racist shibboleths. All of us.

Heard of Senator Tim Scott? Justice Clarence Thomas? Representative Byron Donalds? Ambassador Ric Grenell? Etc etc etc etc.

The rest of your post is, yet again, beneath dignity to even reply to. What I’d like to say would simply get me kicked off here, which is why you feel free to call others names you’d never call to their face, especially if you actually knew them rather than dream up your caricature of them. Alas, social media.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

I'd like to understand the basis for the claim that CRT "teaches that America was fundamentally flawed from its inception and is irredeemable."

My understanding is that the message is quite the opposite, a call for positive action to address the institutional/legal biases that remain part of the system as a result of our history.

The first part of the statement, however, feels true...I'd also like to understand the objection to that portion...was America not "fundamentally flawed" at its "inception" as a result of slavery and related institutionalized realities? Or was it "perfect", in no need of improvement?

Are we really "past" these issues?

Sure looks to me like much of the populist GOP is not.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:41 am I desperately wish you’d understand how tragic the overall movement is, because on November 9th, while you’re nursing a hangover, you’ll still be ranting how ‘all Americans are racists, bigots, sexists, and homophobes’…conveniently forgetting we elected a black President, we have a female VP, and no one cares if you’re gay or straight.
:lol: Yeah, no I won't. And I don't think everyone is a homophobe. Just you, Pete. Clearly you're sorting through some issues...best of luck with that.

I'll sit back and enjoy the fruits of your party's game of making the Federal Government bigger than ever, all while handing me tax breaks because I own a factory, Pete.

You're juvenile game of "neener-neener-neener, the Republicans won" doesn't work on this Forum. You're too busy with your nonsense to realize the bulk of the people posting here have advanced degrees, and when these idiots get into power, they don't behave like actual conservatives.

So they're going to blow the door off borrowed spending....which pumps money to my customers. They're also going to keep cutting my taxes, because they're idiots, and don't understand that taxes don't "trickle down". So regular, TrumpBumperSticker Americas will pay my taxes for me.

Now I don't want them to do that....but what I think doesn't matter. YOUR TEAM thinks this is a swell idea.

So no matter what happens in November, I win. Sorry mate, play your game with someone else. Like the staff at your workplace, who will pay my taxes for me. Be sure to thank them.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:44 am
Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:41 am I desperately wish you’d understand how tragic the overall movement is, because on November 9th, while you’re nursing a hangover, you’ll still be ranting how ‘all Americans are racists, bigots, sexists, and homophobes’…conveniently forgetting we elected a black President, we have a female VP, and no one cares if you’re gay or straight.
:lol: Yeah, no I won't. And I don't think everyone is a homophobe. Just you, Pete. Clearly you're sorting through some issues...best of luck with that.

I'll sit back and enjoy the fruits of your party's game of making the Federal Government bigger than ever, all while handing me tax breaks because I own a factory, Pete.

You're juvenile game of "neener-neener-neener, the Republicans won" doesn't work on this Forum. You're too busy with your nonsense to realize the bulk of the people posting here have advanced degrees, and when these idiots get into power, they don't behave like actual conservatives.

So they're going to blow the door off borrowed spending....which pumps money to my customers. They're also going to keep cutting my taxes, because they're idiots, and don't understand that taxes don't "trickle down". So regular, TrumpBumperSticker Americas will pay my taxes for me.

Now I don't want them to do that....but what I think doesn't matter. YOUR TEAM thinks this is a swell idea.

So no matter what happens in November, I win. Sorry mate, play your game with someone else. Like the staff at your workplace, who will pay my taxes for me. Be sure to thank them.

Obviously it was always going to be too much to expect either you or MD to reply to the post and actually read an editorial, and then address the very important issues that writer expressed.

People here see through the smokescreens and dishonest monologues you prefer. :roll:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:49 am

I'd like to understand the basis for the claim that CRT "teaches that America was fundamentally flawed from its inception and is irredeemable."

My understanding is that the message is quite the opposite, a call for positive action to address the institutional/legal biases that remain part of the system as a result of our history.

The first part of the statement, however, feels true...I'd also like to understand the objection to that portion...was America not "fundamentally flawed" at its "inception" as a result of slavery and related institutionalized realities? Or was it "perfect", in no need of improvement?

Just amazing.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:09 pm

Just amazing.
Amazing that you're outright lying about CRT. And that the current Florida law that you think bans CRT, comports with CRT perfectly. They can still teach it in Florida, Pete.....if you bothered reading the law, you'd understand this. Oh well, reading is hard.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Then the 1619 project needs to be discussed. It is an attempt by one author to rewrite American history. IMO the 1619 project deserves a thread all its own.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:03 pm
Then the 1619 project needs to be discussed. It is an attempt by one author to rewrite American history. IMO the 1619 project deserves a thread all its own.
That's fine.

But what about the current standard, popular HS American History Textbooks? Are we going to fact check those, too? Check them for bias or glaring errors of omission?

Or do we start with the assumption that these textbooks are flawless, and ONLY look at the 1619 Project. If we hold all these books to the same standard? Sign me up.

But the clear place to start is to examine what books are ACTUALLY being used in American High Schools first. I think folks would be surprised by the problems in those books.
SCLaxAttack

Post by SCLaxAttack »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:39 am "we" Mrs. Lindbergh?

Exactly why DeSantis and his cronies jury-rigged the new FL congressional districts.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

The author of the 1619 project states in her hypothesis that the US was fundamentally flawed before their even was a United States. Her hypothesis would be much more interesting if she took it back 4000 years and studied the history of slavery since man started walking around on 2 legs. Slavery didn't begin in 1619 and in many forms it still exists today. I also understand that in 1000s of years of world history there was only one time that a country fought a bloody war to end slavery. What was that country again?? This country is far from perfect and improving racial inequities in our country is something we still struggle with. At least we live in a country that is always working to move forward.
Bob Ross:
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

C&S, what are SPECIFIC examples of historical figures, events or organizations that are currently being taught in US History classes that you think shouldn't be taught? German Coast Uprising? The Freedmens Bureau? The NAACP? The Scottsboro Boys? SCLC? Medgar Evers?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Andersen wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:34 pm C&S, what are SPECIFIC examples of historical figures, events or organizations that are currently being taught in US History classes that you think shouldn't be taught? German Coast Uprising? The Freedmens Bureau? The NAACP? The Scottsboro Boys? SCLC? Medgar Evers?
I would be surprised if the German Coast uprising was covered in middle or high schools, generally.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:25 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:03 pm
Then the 1619 project needs to be discussed. It is an attempt by one author to rewrite Americ isan history. IMO the 1619 project deserves a thread all its own.
That's fine.

But what about the current standard, popular HS American History Textbooks? Are welcome going to fact check those, too? Check them for bias or glaring errors of omission?

Or do we start with the assumption that these textbooks are flawless, and ONLY look at the 1619 Project. If we hold all these books to the same standard? Sign me up.

But the clear place to start is to examine what books are ACTUALLY being used in American High Schools first. I think folks would be surprised by the problems in those books.
The 64 thousand dollar question is how do you go about reevaluating the history of our nation in a factual and unbiased manner? To do so the folks doing the reevaluating would have to be neutral and unbiased and only interested in the facts.Good luck finding those individuals. If the people in charge of updating US history have their own preconceived notions and bias their mission is doomed from the start. I use the 1619 project as one example. It is a fascinating theory but when the author uses it as her basis to slam a country that was 150 plus years away from being born. There is a problem there in my opinion. How many school kids are being thought that the 1619 project is a factual look at history and not the authors opinion? It never ceases to amaze me how so many folks put the bright spotlight at what we have done wrong as Americans and completely overlook all that our nation has done right. I am all for teaching kids about the history of slavery in this world. The history of slavery in the world should be thought in the proper context, that would be from its earliest know start. It becomes very complex very quickly. I do know that it didn't begin in 1619 and I do know that the United States of America was the only nation in 1000s of years to actually do something to end the scourge of slavery. There is no doubt our nation has made many mistakes along the way. It is fair to say that by and large as a nation we have learned from our mistakes and keep moving forward how ever slowly our nation does so.
Bob Ross:
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:13 pm
Andersen wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:34 pm C&S, what are SPECIFIC examples of historical figures, events or organizations that are currently being taught in US History classes that you think shouldn't be taught? German Coast Uprising? The Freedmens Bureau? The NAACP? The Scottsboro Boys? SCLC? Medgar Evers?
I would be surprised if the German Coast uprising was covered in middle or high schools, generally.
There is quite a bit of US history that never gets covered in HS. I doubt very few HS students today ever learn about the Draft Riots in NYC in 1863. They never learn that federal troops were sent in to crush the protesters and they never learn how many people died as a result. It would be easy to cherry pick all through our history and learn little tidbits of embarrassing events our country was involved in.
Bob Ross:
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

How about teach both the good and the bad? Pretty tough to improve or correct any problem anywhere if you ignore it and don't acknowledge it.

Are there classes that provide an unapologetic cheerleading tour through American History?, sure. There's also some classes where they are hyper critical of our country. Nevertheless, while the extremes get media attention, they're not reflective of what the overwhelming majority teach.

Do yourself a favor and go to Barnes and Noble or another bookstore and take a look at an AP US History Review Book. That will allow you to easily and quickly see one very important and influential curriculum. You will surely see the New York City Draft Riots, as well as a number of Slave Rebellions.

I'd genuinely love to hear what is actually in there that you object to. Not vague concerns from second or third hand sources, but specific items. I think you'll be surprised.

Return to “POLITICS”