Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by jhu06 »

No sense in keeping any of the current srs next year for grad years. Should be 20 guys at least seeing their last games at homewood this week. Won't be missed. PM has a big offseason ahead.

HF16 had a really confident few months, I wish his "underrated defense" narrative well.
a fan

Post by a fan »

LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:22 pm If the alums and fan base run Peter out of town, and the next coach is .500 after two or three years, will those same alums and fans be ready to admit the problem isn’t coaching?
:lol: Not a chance.

On a totally unrelated note, the former scapegoat Coach Benson seems to have "remembered how to coach" over at Maryland. You know, for a guy who some claimed couldn't coach his way out a paper bag...dropping 22 goals at Homewood must be some sort of Festivus miracle.

And now, the airing of grievances.......
LaxPundit07

Post by LaxPundit07 »

a fan wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:05 pm
LaxPundit07 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:22 pm If the alums and fan base run Peter out of town, and the next coach is .500 after two or three years, will those same alums and fans be ready to admit the problem isn’t coaching?
:lol: Not a chance.

On a totally unrelated note, the former scapegoat Coach Benson seems to have "remembered how to coach" over at Maryland. You know, for a guy who some claimed couldn't coach his way out a paper bag...dropping 22 goals at Homewood must be some sort of Festivus miracle.

And now, the airing of grievances.......
“Jerry, it's Frank Costanza. Mr. Steinbrenner's here. George is dead. Call me back!”
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Benson produced 1 ff at hopkins coming off the rabil/harrison era. People forget that. It's Tillimans program. I don't miss him and I won't miss his 5'8 attackmen playing midfield. I was one of the few non lax students who thought his brother was a nice guy though.

PM is going to get as long as Baker and Daniels give him which is another 2-3 years. This season should be the reason to let go of any remaining Petro guys he wants to show the door and I'm sure there'll be suitors. Peshko, grimes, Degnon, Epstein, mcmanus, jaronski they can all go. The staff could be another matter. We'll see, but I'm expecting a mass exodus. mcmanus apparently has a fat job on wall street awaiting him. He should take it.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

The last time I felt this beaten was the 18-5 game against Duke in the 2010 NCAA tourney.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Yeah, I have no real insight into the off-field stuff or the Murphy situation. Aside from today's abomination, what I've seen so far is a team that is generally competitive (including x3 with Maryland last year) with some pretty glaring talent disadvantages (brought into stark relief today) vs the top teams. I've seen several of next years' recruits who I am confident will be very good D1 players. And given that this is not SEC football, Milliman's going to get a chance to turn this around, regardless of who might be calling for his head. So we'll see.
This place feels very much like the Navy thread a few years ago.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

kramerica.inc wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:46 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:50 pm
Yeah, I have no real insight into the off-field stuff or the Murphy situation. Aside from today's abomination, what I've seen so far is a team that is generally competitive (including x3 with Maryland last year) with some pretty glaring talent disadvantages (brought into stark relief today) vs the top teams. I've seen several of next years' recruits who I am confident will be very good D1 players. And given that this is not SEC football, Milliman's going to get a chance to turn this around, regardless of who might be calling for his head. So we'll see.
This place feels very much like the Navy thread a few years ago.
I feel so much better now. Thanks.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:01 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:30 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:20 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:08 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:04 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:03 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 8:02 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:58 pm
nyjay wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:54 pm I recognize I’m a caveman, but just no fight in this team. Not a single frustration penalty despite being down 17. I want my kids to be good sports. But not sure I want this.
Meh. If you've ever played, and have played in a game like this, you know how incredibly mentally difficult it is to play in this type of game and continue to play the right way. "Frustration penalties" aren't a sign of pride and effort. They are clear signs of the opposite.
And btw “if you ever played” is pretty douchey too tough guy.
Simple statement of fact.
Go fuc$ yourself
You have a great day!
You too. But you know, if you'd ever actually played the game, you'd understand that when you talk smack, it's hard to be too upset when you get the crosscheck to the mouth. But, as I said at the outset, I guess I'm just a caveman.
Truce. We disagree on the significance and value of frustration penalties. All good.

Also, edited to say that the "if you ever played" phrase was indeed a bit a-hole-ish. Yet another reminder of the risks of posting during a frustrating loss!
Thank you for this post. All is indeed good. I do think behavior during a true beat down is very challenging and a very fine line. I'm honestly not sure what I really want from kids I'm coaching or from my own kids in those situations, but again, I admit to certain caveman tendencies. I will say this though, if the Jays held their anger and frustration today, I hope they keep that little black bit of anger very close to their heart and spend a lot of time making sure that it grows and is nurtured and focused upon until the time is right for it to come back and bite the Terps. As Michael Jordan (who was clearly one of the best competitors of all time (which isn't entirely a compliment)) once said, "and I took that personally."

PS - Anyone notice the controversy between Ridgefield, CT (coached by Roy Colsey, who always played with an edge) and Fairfield-Warde this week? Very interesting and bears upon this conversation.
Thanks. It is incredibly challenging. I guess my personal perspective is influenced by my time as a HS coach, who was fortunate enough at least one year to have a team that could dominate most teams on our schedule. We lost 2 players in a season to concussions (one who never played again) from "frustration fouls". That particular team hit home becuase my son was on that team, and that really makes you think of those kids as your kids. The blend of the anger, frustration, embarassment from being on the losing end of that sort of game isn't a great match with good decision-making for HS and college kids, and I think its best to try to keep them as far away from that line as possible. Heck, I can't even find that balance, and I only have a keyboard! I think the next game will be a lot more telling about the will and character of this JHU team than anything happening in the second half today.

On the Colsey thing, I have a very clear view. There's no reason to ever run up a score like that at the HS level. There's nothing gained by humiliating the other team, and you've almost certainly missed an opportunity to work on stuff (dfiferent offensive sets, getting to the 2nd and 3rd (and beyond) dodges of a set, maintaining possession in a critical end-of-game situation in a close game, etc) that you'll need in other games. How exactly did Ridgefield get any better by coming down and taking the first shot opportunity? Judging from the fact that they've lost to every good team they've played this year, seems like Roy had some stuff he could have worked on.
harflax

Post by harflax »

Baltmore Sun writer Mike Preston eviscerates Millman, Hopkins.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ana ... story.html

"The Johns Hopkins lacrosse community has to be disgruntled at this time. In nearly two years under coach Peter Milliman, the Blue Jays have shown little progress and were overwhelmed and embarrassed by No. 1 Maryland Saturday night at Homewood Field in Baltimore."
ColumbiaBlueBlack

Post by ColumbiaBlueBlack »

How many of you were actually at the game??? How many of you who were actually at the game, then stayed the entire game? How of many of you who stayed the entire game, then stayed in the stands AFTER the game?? If you are among the latter, then when did you realize that the Senior Day "celebration" was taking place?? It took me a while.

If ever there was a plain demonstration of incompetence, whether on the part of the Coach, and/or AD, and/or a Little Sht of a President, then having Senior Day AFTER the game was it. What the FCK??? You have a day when guys like Jessie Schwartzman and Joel Tinney were in the house, and you relegate what should be a celebration, an honoring, a thank-you, a hey-win-or-lose-you-are-part-of-a-very-long-tradition-you-are-one-of-us to an after thought when there were more Twerp fans milling around than anyone else (The Band stayed). I felt compelled to apologize to the parents of one senior. It's NOT how anyone should do it (I do not give one rat's ass if that's how Cornell did it, which I doubt they did). That was humiliating. That was insulting. That was just plain fking incompetent, stupid, dumb, moronic ... [you fill in the descriptors]. That smells to me like a Little Sht trying to kill something that I have loved for a very long time. I once ran a minor "Tony Mean$ No Mony" campaign. I'm tempted again.
---------------------------
Let's agree to respect each others views, no matter how wrong yours may be.
https://despair.com/products/compromise
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

harflax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 pm Baltmore Sun writer Mike Preston eviscerates Millman, Hopkins.

"The Johns Hopkins lacrosse community has to be disgruntled at this time. In nearly two years under coach Peter Milliman, the Blue Jays have shown little progress and were overwhelmed and embarrassed by No. 1 Maryland Saturday night at Homewood Field in Baltimore."
-I find the womens act more obscene. That coach finally being put out to pasture has been there a lot longer, has a brand created by the mens program and their social media looks like a country club/sorority who also happens to play lacrosse. Love how they represent Daniels diversity equity inclusion there too. I'm sure they also have a group that is 20 percent first in their family to attend college like the accepted students in the incoming freshman class. I look at the top 25 of the womens polls and I see a bunch of programs without the academics, tradition, or location of Hopkins.
-Benson recruited more of the players in that Hopkins lineup than he did maryland guys or pm did hopkins guys. That was his offense looking awful. Dan Snyder should hire Benson's press helpers.
-Michigan has had a program for 10 years, they've done nothing but play cleveland state tough.
-As 51 pointed out PM could not turn over the 58 active players that Petro left behind plus 2 classes of recruits in 2 years. There's just no way in a pandemic you cut all that fat. But the clearing, the turnovers, the fact he ran Bensons offensive folks out there for 2 years and did nothing with it. Yikes. It won't get easier next year when the team will presumably get a lot younger.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm How many of you were actually at the game??? How many of you who were actually at the game, then stayed the entire game? How of many of you who stayed the entire game, then stayed in the stands AFTER the game?? If you are among the latter, then when did you realize that the Senior Day "celebration" was taking place?? It took me a while.

If ever there was a plain demonstration of incompetence, whether on the part of the Coach, and/or AD, and/or a Little Sht of a President, then having Senior Day AFTER the game was it. What the FCK??? You have a day when guys like Jessie Schwartzman and Joel Tinney were in the house, and you relegate what should be a celebration, an honoring, a thank-you, a hey-win-or-lose-you-are-part-of-a-very-long-tradition-you-are-one-of-us to an after thought when there were more Twerp fans milling around than anyone else (The Band stayed). I felt compelled to apologize to the parents of one senior. It's NOT how anyone should do it (I do not give one rat's ass if that's how Cornell did it, which I doubt they did). That was humiliating. That was insulting. That was just plain fking incompetent, stupid, dumb, moronic ... [you fill in the descriptors]. That smells to me like a Little Sht trying to kill something that I have loved for a very long time. I once ran a minor "Tony Mean$ No Mony" campaign. I'm tempted again.
I’m glad someone said it. Senior Day festivities take place before the game. PM has changed it to post game. Humiliating defeat, then they have to wait while Maryland parades the Rivalry Crab around Homewood and oh hey let’s now celebrate our seniors. Absolutely embarrassing. The fact that Coach Koesterer hasn’t clued PM into some of the traditions says something of this coaching staff dynamic
harflax

Post by harflax »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:28 pm
harflax wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:10 pm Baltmore Sun writer Mike Preston eviscerates Millman, Hopkins.

-I find the womens act more obscene. That coach finally being put out to pasture has been there a lot longer, has a brand created by the mens program and their social media looks like a country club/sorority who also happens to play lacrosse. Love how they represent Daniels diversity equity inclusion there too. I'm sure they also have a group that is 20 percent first in their family to attend college like the accepted students in the incoming freshman class. I look at the top 25 of the womens polls and I see a bunch of programs without the academics, tradition, or location of Hopkins.
-Benson recruited more of the players in that Hopkins lineup than he did maryland guys or pm did hopkins guys. That was his offense looking awful. Dan Snyder should hire Benson's press helpers.
-Michigan has had a program for 10 years, they've done nothing but play cleveland state tough.
-As 51 pointed out PM could not turn over the 58 active players that Petro left behind plus 2 classes of recruits in 2 years. There's just no way in a pandemic you cut all that fat. But the clearing, the turnovers, the fact he ran Bensons offensive folks out there for 2 years and did nothing with it. Yikes. It won't get easier next year when the team will presumably get a lot younger.
Janine Tucker, nice person, a very mediocre at best lacrosse coach. Pressure is on Baker and the athletic administration to find a good successor for Tucker. Right now their mens' hire seems to have the program going in the wrong direction.
Hail to the Victors

Post by Hail to the Victors »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:36 pm
ColumbiaBlueBlack wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:15 pm How many of you were actually at the game??? How many of you who were actually at the game, then stayed the entire game? How of many of you who stayed the entire game, then stayed in the stands AFTER the game?? If you are among the latter, then when did you realize that the Senior Day "celebration" was taking place?? It took me a while.

I’m glad someone said it. Senior Day festivities take place before the game. PM has changed it to post game. Humiliating defeat, then they have to wait while Maryland parades the Rivalry Crab around Homewood and oh hey let’s now celebrate our seniors. Absolutely embarrassing. The fact that Coach Koesterer hasn’t clued PM into some of the traditions says something of this coaching staff dynamic
If it was Millman's idea, then he's a horse's *ss. If it was directed by someone above him, then he's a p*ssy for not telling them "no."

But that's just my opinion. I wonder what the former players think about the way it went down.
Maverick

Post by Maverick »

I like seeing schwartzman upset since I saw him give a teams fan section the finger when going in at halftime. So him being there makes this a bit sweeter for me. Terps look invincible going into the tourney. Ask tb12 how that went after their16-0 season. It's going to take a teams perfect game to beat md this year, but it's happened before.

Today though they looked unbeatable
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

If they post the post-game presser online, you all should watch it.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:25 pm If they post the post-game presser online, you all should watch it.
Unless I’m mistaken Ernie only posts post game winning pressers and interviews now. I wonder who made that call.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:27 pm
Wheels wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:25 pm If they post the post-game presser online, you all should watch it.
Unless I’m mistaken Ernie only posts post game winning pressers and interviews now. I wonder who made that call.
Wayneterp often posts the presser for the opposing team. Usually is up within a couple of days of the game.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Per the Kevin Brown game recap on IL:

"I’m proud of the seniors for what they’ve given this program and what this program is going to do to honor them. Where we go from here is going to reflect that," Hopkins coach Peter Milliman said. "I have confidence and assurance that we are going to handle this the right way and honor these guys the right way that these guys deserve because this is not the last game at Homewood that these guys will play."

Does anyone know what that last sentence means? Is he talking about seniors with the Covid year left that may stick around?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:03 pm No sense in keeping any of the current srs next year for grad years. Should be 20 guys at least seeing their last games at homewood this week. Won't be missed. PM has a big offseason ahead.

HF16 had a really confident few months, I wish his "underrated defense" narrative well.
I am certain the Administrator will suspend me for this (and I have never been suspended before), but it is worth it because of the way you denigrate our players, whom I am certain put a lot of time, effort, soul, and heart into the program.

So here goes …

… jhu06, you are a f*cking d*ck.

Thank you. That is all.

See you all after my suspension.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”