Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Loyolalax

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Loyolalax »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:19 am
FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:48 am Coaches don't know best; just b/c they're working full-time and rely on team's performance for their livelihood doesn't mean they know more that a player's dad :roll: I'm sure Charlie & MVA aren't playing certain kids in an effort to LOSE games, gimme a break.. All coaches make mistakes, but I believe they all know the talent--or lack thereof-- on their roster.

+1
Mistakes is an understatement. We have seen the product that has been put out on the field. I dont have to see what happens at practice. I see what happens on Saturday. This team has underperformed. And we dont know what others can do, because we have not seen them play meaningful minutes.

Honestly I am worried about Colgate. Look how we have played against teams we were supposed to beat. Look how we played against Lafayette. I dont know how you can trust the players that are on the field. There are exceptions.

Question, 30 seconds left against Lehigh and we have the ball, tied. Whose stick would you put it in to win the game? Do we have one? Is James, Olmstead, LIndley, Poitras, Bateman, Seay, Higgins, Hueston, Binney, Lindsey. Too be honest I am not sure, maybe James? thoughts
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Loyolalax wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:13 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:48 am Coaches don't know best; just b/c they're working full-time and rely on team's performance for their livelihood doesn't mean they know more that a player's dad :roll: I'm sure Charlie & MVA aren't playing certain kids in an effort to LOSE games, gimme a break.. All coaches make mistakes, but I believe they all know the talent--or lack thereof-- on their roster.

+1
Mistakes is an understatement. We have seen the product that has been put out on the field. I dont have to see what happens at practice. I see what happens on Saturday. This team has underperformed. And we dont know what others can do, because we have not seen them play meaningful minutes.

Honestly I am worried about Colgate. Look how we have played against teams we were supposed to beat. Look how we played against Lafayette. I dont know how you can trust the players that are on the field. There are exceptions.

Question, 30 seconds left against Lehigh and we have the ball, tied. Whose stick would you put it in to win the game? Do we have one? Is James, Olmstead, LIndley, Poitras, Bateman, Seay, Higgins, Hueston, Binney, Lindsey. Too be honest I am not sure, maybe James? thoughts

For me, Higgins. He always beats his man. After that dodge, find an off-ball cutting Lindley for the finish.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:27 pm

+1

For me, Higgins. He always beats his man. After that dodge, find an off-ball cutting Lindley for the finish.
Agree. Lindley is cagey and Higgins can draw a slide
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:21 am
this is what I have been saying from the beginning. There is no shoring up SSSDs now, the coaches have had opportunities to do so, but they kept running the same players. Rezanka and Sally solid... the rest you cannot trust and I think the poles do not they consistently get beat.

Offense, just beating a dead horse. Today our shooting percentage was 19%. MVA was a great offensive coach, not so much now

Remember this was the same team that was a bounce shot away from going to the final four. What changed?
I've said this before, but it seems like we all like to repeat ourselves here, so I will too. :D

We all like to remember that we were one (lucky?) bounce shot against Duke away from going to the Final Four last year. But we seem to forget that we were 1 goal away from losing to Army in the PL semi-finals and missing the NCAA tournament all together. We were also 1 Shafer last-second save away from losing to Denver and bowing out in the first round of the tournament.

My point is that literally one or two plays can make the difference between a great season and the kind of season we're having this year. A few plays going a bit differently, and we could have beaten Hopkins, Rutgers, and Army this year. So, I don't think much has changed at all.

Also, this is not quite the same team as last year. We lost our best SSDM (Matt Higgins) and our best outside shooter (Peter Swindell). Add those two guys to today's roster and it could make the difference between 5-7 and 8-4 at least.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

+1

Kamish when fully healthy...but he’s not on your list for some reason?? He’s proven many times to make people look silly and I think he’s the second best shooter by % on the team this year (at least in the playing group)...

After Kamish I’d go with James and Higgins...Poitras

I’m still rooting for this team. It’s certainly been a rough year but it’s been for many reasons...not just offense. Hope the team can regroup and pull it together and best Colgate and maybe make a run at Lehigh. Then it’s a one week, three game season. You never know...does it look good right now...nope...but I’m pulling for these guys

As far as the question again...looking ahead, I think we’ve got a really solid core in Kamish, James, Poitras, and Higgins...throw Lindsey in there as he finally showed what he can do and what his role will be next year...those 5 are gonna be the horses...now add in a potential stud freshman or two...maybe McGory becomes a heavy contributor...Binney...someone else...maybe a stud transfer. We will see...but I like our core next year.

Doesn’t look good now, but things change year to year...better health, better chemistry, a bump in confidence...lots can happen
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:16 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 am Loyola dad saying his kid found out he's posting so he has to stop, only to return days later in full force attacking the current players and coaches is what makes this forum special. This is what it's all worth coming here for. Truly the good stuff

But yes always the possibility he's just some disgruntled fan pretending to be someone's dad for some reason. Even if that's the case, still entertaining
I think it is Mark Dixon. :lol:
I'm laughing so hard I have tears in my eyes.

All I can say is if this bozo really is the parent of an incoming Loyola player, at least his son has more sense than he does. I pity Toomey for having to deal with this clown for 4 years. Or wait, maybe Charlie will fire MVA and make this genius the offensive coordinator!
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Yep. It’s just amazing when someone points out something that’s obvious to anyone but those of you that still live in 2012. This season has been abysmal. They entire team has underperformed. When I point out facts I’m met with “we trust Van and Charlie”. My kid wouldn’t be coming here next year if I didn’t trust them also. I am, however, questioning their judgment this year. I understand looking at last years stats how certain guys were looked at as solid second line guys. 12 games into this year, however, they haven’t produced. When I clamor for change I’m met with derisive posts claiming I’m not at practice. Well next year I’ll get a better idea of who and what goes on at practice. I just hope next years freshmen get a better opportunity to show what they’ve got than this years did. Maybe I’ll come back next year under a new name. Maybe not. Im done for this year. Enjoy the next few games.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

do your son a favor. don't come back. bi.tch about it with the guy next to you.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:51 pm do your son a favor. don't come back. bi.tch about it with the guy next to you.
To some extent, laxmaninmillion makes some valid points.

My how the mighty has fallen, it used to be that the patriot league tournament went through Ridley. Now Colgate is a must win game to have a play in game at home.

No longer on the PL page is Loyola discussed, it is Army, Lehigh and BU. with a Loyola afterthought.

Lets see if this team comes out and plays with passion and heart and enthusiasm.

Hoping ESPN+ is worth watching
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:27 am
wgdsr wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:51 pm do your son a favor. don't come back. bi.tch about it with the guy next to you.
To some extent, laxmaninmillion makes some valid points.

My how the mighty has fallen, it used to be that the patriot league tournament went through Ridley. Now Colgate is a must win game to have a play in game at home.

No longer on the PL page is Loyola discussed, it is Army, Lehigh and BU. with a Loyola afterthought.

Lets see if this team comes out and plays with passion and heart and enthusiasm.

Hoping ESPN+ is worth watching
You are not wrong. I have been critical of some coaching decisions this year too which is east to do online. It must be hard for even the best coaches to manage such a large roster when you are not used to carrying so many players. I read on a another forum talking about Loyola that 2 freshman have already left the program and a few more might be coming to the portal. That knee jerk reaction by the NCAA has impacted so many kids and coaches and not in a good way. Remember some of the sophomores and freshman also had their high school careers cut short exams of covid. I think there is going to be a lot of kids moving and the coaches are going to have to figure out how to manage the large rosters.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:27 am No longer on the PL page is Loyola discussed, it is Army, Lehigh and BU. with a Loyola afterthought.
To be fair, the same could have been said in 2015. We had 3 PL losses in the regular season and lost in the PL semis. The next year we were in the Final Four.
laxbro11 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:27 am Hoping ESPN+ is worth watching
It will be horrendous. I will make my obligatory complaints about the camera work and commentating now to get them out of the way. It's going to be bad. I hope we don't miss too many goals because the camera is focused on the goalie who made the outlet pass at the other end of the field.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

I’m not feeling good about today.

‘Gate is 3-8, but they’ve been close in every loss they’ve had except Bucknell.

Bailey needs to get 70% today.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:01 pm I’m not feeling good about today.

‘Gate is 3-8, but they’ve been close in every loss they’ve had except Bucknell.

Bailey needs to get 70% today.
Savio getting smoked.

Offense same old same old.

Colgate playing with emotion

Turnovers

Bad shot selection

Equals doom
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Has anyone else been screaming at their TV for the last hour? Come on Hounds, value the ball! The D plays three straight minutes of defense and we run down and take a poor shot immediately.

Thank goodness Sam is dialed in.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

So Lindsey was the only one who showed up Tuesday and he's not played today. Hurt? Discipline? Decided to transfer? Anyone know?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Come out of a time out and that is our play. Turnovers
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:04 pm Has anyone else been screaming at their TV for the last hour? Come on Hounds, value the ball! The D plays three straight minutes of defense and we run down and take a poor shot immediately.

Would love to get the recap. 11-10 OT.

Bailey got owned at FO.

Sam appeared to have a good game.

I’ll take it.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Evan James said, “Relax people, I got this.”
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Peter Brown wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:37 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:04 pm Has anyone else been screaming at their TV for the last hour? Come on Hounds, value the ball! The D plays three straight minutes of defense and we run down and take a poor shot immediately.

Would love to get the recap. 11-10 OT.

Bailey got owned at FO.

Sam appeared to have a good game.

I’ll take it.
It was not pretty (understatement), but the Hounds got their first come-from-behind win of the season. Trailing 10-8 with 3:05 left in the game, James scored the last 3, including the OT winner. (I guess we now have the answer to the question posed earlier in the week. Whom do you go to when the game is on the line?) My personal take: we were careless with the ball in the first half. After losing most of the faceoffs and playing long stretches of defense, we were taking ill-advised shots in the first 10 secs of the shot clock. I'm not calling anyone out here, as it was across the board, including our SSDMs. Couple that with Colgate's goalie playing well, and we put ourselves in a hole.

The largest lead was 2,and both teams led by that margin at various times.

Biggest head-scratcher for me: Loyola defense played a zone for the majority of the game. First time we've played that much zone all year. Not sure what to make of it.

Huge game for Poitras (4G on 7 shots) and James (4G on 6 shots). Olmstead had 1G and 4 helpers.

While we didn't play great, we showed some grit today.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

+1 that dad is a great example of the problem in HS(and youth) sports today!

On another note, where was Davis Lindsey today? Is he hurt?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”