Syracuse v. BC -- 4/22/22 @ 6:00 PM

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Justalaxdad

Re: Syracuse v. BC -- 4/22/22 @ 6:00 PM

Post by Justalaxdad »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:29 am
Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:11 am On a serious note, ‘Cuse played BC way better than I thought they would. Down two major players and they were one or two plays away from getting over the hump and possibly winning the game. That on top of only losing to UNC by 2 (short handed again) and people should realize this team can win the NC. They are right up there with the best group behind UNC. I thought there were at least two phantom shooting space calls that involved CN. One was completely bogus as both defenders were to the side and she had a shooting lane. The ref was completely out of position to make the call. Don’t want to go down a rabbit hole on the refs but that stood out to me.

Syracuse’s four losses: NU by 1, Florida by 4 (outlier), UNC by 2, and BC by 2. Sans Florida, this team could easily be 16-1, injuries and all. Don’t sleep on them…
All good points, dad. I just don’t think it applies to this year for the NC. The effect the injuries have had on the team will only become more apparent as the postseason wears on.
Remains to be seen but they did have an injury riddled team last year that went to the title game…
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:39 am
Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:11 am On a serious note, ‘Cuse played BC way better than I thought they would. Down two major players and they were one or two plays away from getting over the hump and possibly winning the game. That on top of only losing to UNC by 2 (short handed again) and people should realize this team can win the NC. They are right up there with the best group behind UNC. I thought there were at least two phantom shooting space calls that involved CN. One was completely bogus as both defenders were to the side and she had a shooting lane. The ref was completely out of position to make the call. Don’t want to go down a rabbit hole on the refs but that stood out to me.

Syracuse’s four losses: NU by 1, Florida by 4 (outlier), UNC by 2, and BC by 2. Sans Florida, this team could easily be 16-1, injuries and all. Don’t sleep on them…
Totally agree about the second shooting space call; just completely wrong.

I actually thought that the game was, all things considered, pretty well called. I missed the first YC on Markey. The yellow at the end (the tangle of legs) was a poor call. But otherwise, they did a tough job pretty well.

Syracuse had possession on goal down at least twice, and couldn't get the tie. That's a testament to BC's defense, goalkeeping and ride more than anything else to me.
Agree on all your points, that’s why I qualified the ref comments. Like you, I didn’t think they were the deciding factor at all. While I think UNC is clearly the best team and that’s who my money would be on, I don’t think it’s a complete forgone conclusion. I’m looking forward to a great tournament. My dark horse is Loyola, I have a sneaky suspicion they will make a run to the final 4.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 6:59 am
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:47 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:45 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:38 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:37 pm Syracuse takes another stupid penalty during crunch time – what a shocker.
:roll: The defender was trying to get the ball back and their legs got tangled up. Nothing stupid (or malicious) about it. Glad everyone was ok.
That is how it looked to me. Glad no one got hurt.

Was a fun game to watch.
That is exactly what happened, the stupid penalty comment is nonsense.
Couple of girls playing hard got tangled up.
I was surprised; the replay showed very little contact, mostly a tangle of legs. The "stupid penalty" comment is, at this point, to be expected.
I'm not sure that the "stupid" adjective fits here, but it was very clearly a trip and a potentially dangerous play. If a ball carrier is running full speed down the field and someone comes up from behind and makes contact with her legs, intentionally or not, the refs are going to call that a trip 90%+ of the time. If you think about it from a policy perspective, you really can't just allow players to say "Our legs tangled, so it's not a foul." That would invite lots more tangles. The vast majority of trips called are not of the playground bully variety where a player juts out their leg to intentionally trip an opponent. They result from legs getting tangled up. Then the question becomes: Who caused those legs to become tangled? In this case it was clearly Goodale. The number one priority of referees is to promote player safety. They did their job here.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Justalaxdad wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:11 am On a serious note, ‘Cuse played BC way better than I thought they would. Down two major players and they were one or two plays away from getting over the hump and possibly winning the game.
Actually more than two when considering Carney's limited abilities right now.
She's an eight cylinder running on six and I think that was a real difference
maker in this game.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Can Opener wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 9:39 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:37 pm Syracuse takes another stupid penalty during crunch time – what a shocker.
:roll: The defender was trying to get the ball back and their legs got tangled up. Nothing stupid (or malicious) about it. Glad everyone was ok.

Was a fun game to watch.
I was surprised; the replay showed very little contact, mostly a tangle of legs. The "stupid penalty" comment is, at this point, to be expected.
I'm not sure that the "stupid" adjective fits here, but it was very clearly a trip and a potentially dangerous play. If a ball carrier is running full speed down the field and someone comes up from behind and makes contact with her legs, intentionally or not, the refs are going to call that a trip 90%+ of the time. If you think about it from a policy perspective, you really can't just allow players to say "Our legs tangled, so it's not a foul." That would invite lots more tangles. The vast majority of trips called are not of the playground bully variety where a player juts out their leg to intentionally trip an opponent. They result from legs getting tangled up. Then the question becomes: Who caused those legs to become tangled? In this case it was clearly Goodale. The number one priority of referees is to promote player safety. They did their job here.
Totally agree it was a foul. No question about that. It just wasn’t, to my mind, a YC-able foul.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Was a fun game to watch.

I don’t think anyone is arguing that it should be a no-call. But to call it a “stupid penalty” implies intention, as if the defender intentionally committed the foul. It was a foul yes, but accidental and the type that comes along with hustle and hard play. It wasn’t the type that happens when a player lets their emotions get the best of them or as laxagainsthumanity put it “malicious”.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Was a fun game to watch.
This call is going to have absolutely no effect on the outcome of this game, that has been determined before any penalty was called. However, there was no penalty on Goodale on this play, and as far as the "stupid" adjective goes one only needs to consider the source when determining whether or not it fits. North's feet (foot) gets tangled with Baxter's who is behind her when she goes down. No one is touching North when she goes down, then Goodale trips over North after she's on the ground. She's going down before Goodale makes any kind of contact with her. There was no foul on Goodale on this play, hence the perplexed look on her face as she's exiting the field. This was a matter of tangled feet and that's all. I get all the safety stuff but there was no penalty committed on this play unless tangled feet is a penalty.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Was a fun game to watch.
Precisely, CO. When the game is on the line and you have to get the ball back quickly (and legally) at all costs to have a chance to score, you don't do something, yes stupid, like running too close to the ball carrier to risk a card. But that's Syracuse. I've seen them do this kind of stuff in big games over the years and the examples are enough to conclude it's in the DNA of the team somehow. Certainly the most recent editions going back a couple/few years.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Sigh….
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:59 am yes stupid, like running too close to the ball carrier to risk a card
what a joke
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 7:39 am

Totally agree about the second shooting space call; just completely wrong.

I actually thought that the game was, all things considered, pretty well called. I missed the first YC on Markey. The yellow at the end (the tangle of legs) was a poor call. But otherwise, they did a tough job pretty well.

Syracuse had possession on goal down at least twice, and couldn't get the tie. That's a testament to BC's defense, goalkeeping and ride more than anything else to me.
I thought I might've been seeing things on the shooting space, glad you both mentioned it. And to add on to what you said about BC's defense - I thought the fact that they were able to back up the shot in the final minute of play was huge.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:25 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:59 am yes stupid, like running too close to the ball carrier to risk a card
what a joke
Everything he says is a complete joke.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxer12 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:05 pm
wlaxphan20 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:25 am
what a joke
Everything he says is a complete joke.
I disagree; the guy wants to contribute, but has a tendency to fall back into blame, and who choked, and who is stupid -- because that is the focus of sports-talk radio. The little -- totally gratuitous and unnecessary -- poke at NJBill: just juvenile. If he could pare back on this sort of stuff, it would be nice. He plainly loves the sport.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

16-1? Could be? I don't know man, that sounds like a lot of wishful thinking, being solely reliant on luck. I think Syracuse was just lucky to be in all those games you mentioned. I think not having Emma Tyrrell on the offensive side of the ball and on the draw circle definitely would've made no discernable difference in the UNC and BC games. Syracuse is just a lucky, lucky team that is just extremely fortunate to even be considered a viable lacrosse team.
OuttaNowhereWregget

laxer12 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 12:21 pm

16-1? Could be? I don't know man, that sounds like a lot of wishful thinking, being solely reliant on luck. I think Syracuse was just lucky to be in all those games you mentioned. I think not having Emma Tyrrell on the offensive side of the ball and on the draw circle definitely would've made no discernable difference in the UNC and BC games. Syracuse is just a lucky, lucky team that is just extremely fortunate to even be considered a viable lacrosse team.
Bitterly sarcastic, much?

laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

DMac wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 10:22 am This call is going to have absolutely no effect on the outcome of this game, that has been determined before any penalty was called. However, there was no penalty on Goodale on this play, and as far as the "stupid" adjective goes one only needs to consider the source when determining whether or not it fits. North's feet (foot) gets tangled with Baxter's who is behind her when she goes down. No one is touching North when she goes down, then Goodale trips over North after she's on the ground. She's going down before Goodale makes any kind of contact with her. There was no foul on Goodale on this play, hence the perplexed look on her face as she's exiting the field. This was a matter of tangled feet and that's all. I get all the safety stuff but there was no penalty committed on this play unless tangled feet is a penalty.
My feeling at the time was that the refs reacted to this based solely on context and how hard North went down. If this had happened with 10 minutes left, or 1 minute but SU is leading by 2, or if North had stumbled but managed to stay upright, etc. etc., it's just a foul. But as soon as anything looks out of control in this context, the yellow card is coming out.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:22 pm That was a real bahnburnah as we say in Beantown. In doubt right to the end. I’m wiped.

Syracuse will not be an easy out the rest of the way. One of the scrappiest teams I’ve ever seen. They’re like the Black Knight in Python’s Holy Grail. They just refuse to give up. Without the injuries last year and this, they might well have won a national championship.

One has to wonder if the artificial turf in the dome has been a contributing factor. Just now wondering if all their injuries occurred there.

It’s going to be awfully difficult next year with all the players they’ll lose to seriously contend for Championship Weekend, let alone a national title.
They return both Tyrells, Carney, Cockerille and Emma Ward back. There biggest losses are Swart and EH. Not sure what you mean by losses.

Joe
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 1:35 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:22 pm That was a real bahnburnah as we say in Beantown. In doubt right to the end. I’m wiped.

Syracuse will not be an easy out the rest of the way. One of the scrappiest teams I’ve ever seen. They’re like the Black Knight in Python’s Holy Grail. They just refuse to give up. Without the injuries last year and this, they might well have won a national championship.

One has to wonder if the artificial turf in the dome has been a contributing factor. Just now wondering if all their injuries occurred there.

It’s going to be awfully difficult next year with all the players they’ll lose to seriously contend for Championship Weekend, let alone a national title.
They return both Tyrells, Carney, Cockerille and Emma Ward back. There biggest losses are Swart and EH. Not sure what you mean by losses.

Joe
I believe their defense is pretty young as well. If Cooper comes back for her 5th year, all signs point to Cuse being even better next year.
OuttaNowhereWregget

They return both Tyrrells, Carney, Cockerille and Emma Ward back. There biggest losses are Swart and EH. Not sure what you mean by losses.

Joe
Are we sure they're all coming, though? Losing Hawryschuk will be significant. Plus, I wouldn't include Cockerille. I've never been really impressed with her play. She shows flashes of brilliance but her day in day out play is relatively mediocre. If the Emma and Meg pairs return, yes that's a solid nucleus. If they all come back.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 2:07 pm

They return both Tyrrells, Carney, Cockerille and Emma Ward back. There biggest losses are Swart and EH. Not sure what you mean by losses.

Joe
Are we sure they're all coming, though? Losing Hawryschuk will be significant. Plus, I wouldn't include Cockerille. I've never been really impressed with her play. She shows flashes of brilliance but her day in day out play is relatively mediocre. If the Emma and Meg pairs return, yes that's a solid nucleus. If they all come back.
Nobody knows for certain, but it would be SHOCKING if Carney and Tyrell don't return. That just IMO.

Joe

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”