Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2022

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:01 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:21 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:12 pm Offense was meh. Noticed they sprinkled in some fresh players....which was refreshing. Kudos to #16 on his first Goal and to coach Goers snagging it for him after the play. Seems #6 was out for a known/unknown reason and #16 did a fine job. IMO, it scratches that itch I have been fussing about with a righty attackman always being out there that the D has to respect...will be interesting to see how it unfolds this week. And the skip passes are what started the scoring ... ;) 8-)
Regarding productivity out of the righty wing spot, if you total the goals scored by #32, #6, #24, #16, that position is the team leader. #32 & #6 were not on the field together enough to be statistically significant. There's been production out of the position. It just has not always been pretty. That said, #16 played well & kept the ball moving.
Counter point. I have not not seen every goal this season, but would argue that the majority of those goal came from inside or climbing from X, NOT initiated from the righty wing. Look at where the vast majority of the goals come (and are initiated) from by 28 and 29, in a position that would have otherwise been an attackman dodging from the wing......all this is my point, It squeezes your attackman down into more confined space...and that does what?, exactly, it makes them far easier to cover.

If you step back and look at it from 10k-ft view, it seems to be a by-product of the 'type/style' of 2-2-2 offense Ross is running. It is maximizing the shooters in 28/29 but making it awfully tough for the rest of the guys.
Who's Navy's last righty wing attackman who could effectively dodge from the wing.

#6, like Jack Ray before him, are big, physical climbing from X dodgers. Perreten & #32 are savvy lurkers who find the open spot inside. #21 is a X man, not a wing attackman. Have not yet seen a healthy #24 to see what he can do from the wing, but I think he initiates most often from x, or at least that's the plan. Let's see what #16 can do.
I haven't charted them but most of the goals seem to be initiated by 29, 28, or 43, whoever can iso on a shorty.
When MF2 is playing, they try to iso 64 on a shorty, often from an invert.
Ryan Wade (who played A/M) and (maybe) David Little come to mind....and your insight furthers the discussion on 'why' they need 3 'threatening' attackers or said differently ......6 offensive players that demand game planning.

I am optimistic that 16 can open things up for 21 and 10, with very limited minutes thus far....I suspect he will be on short leash.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:12 pm Offense was meh. Noticed they sprinkled in some fresh players....which was refreshing. Kudos to #16 on his first Goal and to coach Goers snagging it for him after the play. Seems #6 was out for a known/unknown reason and #16 did a fine job. IMO, it scratches that itch I have been fussing about with a righty attackman always being out there that the D has to respect...will be interesting to see how it unfolds this week. And the skip passes are what started the scoring ... ;) 8-)
Regarding productivity out of the righty wing spot, if you total the goals scored by #32, #6, #24, #16, that position is the team leader. #32 & #6 were not on the field together enough to be statistically significant. There's been production out of the position. It just has not always been pretty. That said, #16 played well & kept the ball moving.
Counter point. I have not not seen every goal this season, but would argue that the majority of those goal came from inside or climbing from X, NOT initiated from the righty wing. Look at where the vast majority of the goals come (and are initiated) from by 28 and 29, in a position that would have otherwise been an attackman dodging from the wing......all this is my point, It squeezes your attackman down into more confined space...and that does what?, exactly, it makes them far easier to cover.

If you step back and look at it from 10k-ft view, it seems to be a by-product of the 'type/style' of 2-2-2 offense Ross is running. It is maximizing the shooters in 28/29 but making it awfully tough for the rest of the guys.
Who's Navy's last righty wing attackman who could effectively dodge from the wing.

#6, like Jack Ray before him, are big, physical climbing from X dodgers. Perreten & #32 are savvy lurkers who find the open spot inside. #21 is a X man, not a wing attackman. Have not yet seen a healthy #24 to see what he can do from the wing, but I think he initiates most often from x, or at least that's the plan. Let's see what #16 can do.
I haven't charted them but most of the goals seem to be initiated by 29, 28, or 43, whoever can iso on a shorty.
Ryan Wade (who played A/M) and (maybe) David Little come to mind....and your insight furthers the discussion on 'why' they need 3 'threatening' attackers or said differently ......6 offensive players that demand game planning.

I am optimistic that 16 can open things up for 21 and 10, with very limited minutes thus far....I suspect he will be on short leash.
As I recall, because of his dodging ability, Wade was moved from A to MF to start his jr season. In the "dodge or die" offense. he did often initiate with a wing dodge from the sideline. I remember Little as a finisher & a wicked time/space shooter, rather than generating shots as a dodger.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:32 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:02 pm

As I recall, because of his dodging ability, Wade was moved from A to MF to start his jr season. In the "dodge or die" offense. he did often initiate with a wing dodge from the sideline. I remember Little as a finisher & a wicked time/space shooter, rather than generating shots as a dodger.
Agreed, they wanted Wade out there for his vision...he was an assist machine, with vision and IQ. Balanced with Hill, Ray, & Daniel and sometimes Smiley...essentially 4 attackman. But to your point, the "dodge or die" offense did not capitalize on this...only after it 'often' broke down and the players played did we see fruit. We where fortunate to have GT6 in that midfield.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Nice win for the MIDS ! I drove down to watch the game and had dinner with a fellow Alum that drove in from Western PA. The game didn’t disappoint and the MIDS controlled from the start.

6 didn’t play and didn’t travel , 24 didn’t travel and 29 didn’t play the first quarter of the game, but made an immediate impact once on the field.

GK was strong from the start and the defense played with purpose! Quick, aggressive slides and the MIDS dominated the action between the lines. 34 was aggressive and dominated ground ball play and it seemed the MIDS played with more energy and emotion.

Midfields were mixed and matched with 6 not playing and 29 out for the first quarter. 64 was on multiple shifts and was all over the field. It seems that the Navy Staff has sidelined 48 and bumped up 18 (listed as attack) onto the Second Midfield. 18 was a step slow, threw the ball away a few times and just looked like a rookie. I need to check all the different players that have rotated in/out of Second Midfield. It must be 7 different players to this point.

Great Coaching, make a few mistakes and you are done! No wonder why the MIDS play so tight!

MIDS were solid on the draw with 58, 20 and 4 (One Rep) 20 seems to be gaining more reps as the season progresses.

SSDM saw some new faces with 26 jumping into the playing rotation. 37, 5, 66 and 26 all with minutes.

LSM 52 was running strong again this game with 2 still on the sidelines.

Attack looked strong with 16 getting the start with 10 and 21. 16 is strong bull dodger with a rocket. He held the ball a little too much (needs to adjust to game speed) , looked a step slower but it was good showing. 10 was being played by a SSDM all day long and wasn’t very productive and 21 was stable/solid on the day. It would be interested to see 6,18 and 21 play together. Once again 32 had less than 30 seconds in play. I guess I am missing something with 32 not playing.

In the press, Coach Amplo credited the Coach Orsen for putting together the defensive scheme.
Ego, Ego , Ego, Ego…..These Coaches have some ego..

I would suspect 24 will try and play this weekend. Big Game, Big Crowd and close to home.

I think 6 is out for a few games.

GO NAVY !
old salt

Post by old salt »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm I need to check all the different players that have rotated in/out of Second Midfield. It must be 7 different players to this point.
MF1 -- 29 28 43 48 64
MF2-- 64 48 25 12 18 6 43
48 started vs Mercer rather than 43. 64 started vs Laf rather than 29.
3 came in on EMO in 5 games.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:33 pm
TheGoat1999 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:14 pm I need to check all the different players that have rotated in/out of Second Midfield. It must be 7 different players to this point.
MF1 -- 29 28 43 48 64
MF2-- 64 48 25 12 18 6 43
48 started vs Mercer rather than 43. 64 started vs Laf rather than 29.
3 came in on EMO in 5 games.
I have :

MF2- 64 48 25 12 22 42 18 6 43

Talking about giving upon your players.
old salt

Post by old salt »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:39 pm Talking about giving upon your players.
I suppose you can look at it that way, especially if you disagree with the choices.
Another way to look at it is giving more players a chance to assert themselves & earn more playing time.
It appears to me that 29, 28, 43 & 64 have played well enough to become "regulars". The other guys are scrambling for the other 2 spots.
We don't know who's hobbled with injuries & when.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Don't have a warm and fuzzy for tomorrow. If our attack can't get at us at least 5+ points, we could be in trouble. Unless Joey "bag of donuts" deLyra, can channel some of his inner ju-ju to another unsuspecting star.

Maybe I will break out some rum and so Jobu can will bless the sticks. :lol:

~Livy

FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Wade did some good things, but I remember him as a turnover machine vs assist machine :?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Here is my question. IF:

Bucknell beats Lafayette
Navy loses to Army

Will next Friday's meeting between the Bison and the Middies either possibly, or definitely, be for the sixth and final spot in the upcoming conference tournament?
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:44 pm Here is my question. IF:

Bucknell beats Lafayette
Navy loses to Army

Will next Friday's meeting between the Bison and the Middies either possibly, or definitely, be for the sixth and final spot in the upcoming conference tournament?
This is how the seeding works: https://patriotleague.org/standings.aspx?standings=2148
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

gymman1031 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:44 pm Here is my question. IF:

Bucknell beats Lafayette
Navy loses to Army

I think only if Colgate wins out & finishes 4-4 in the conf. I think if Colgate loses one more, Navy's in.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Mac Haley A 2022 Navy St John’s DC
Mac Haley tore it up today against one of the top teams
St. Anthony’s NY,

plays much bigger than listed
great on the ride.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Heart says: Navy wins a close one.
Head says: Army wins by at least three.

I sure hope I am wrong regarding my head.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Yucky….

- 5 O-guys essential standing around watching the dodger.
- 24 not valuing the ball
- called TO with .58 remaining in half and 29 goes immediately. Crazy if that was the intent and not play for final shot.

- Army offense has 6 men in motion, breaking our defense down
- value the ball

Fortunate at this point. 3rd quarter decides the game.
~Livy

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

OT
2 and 2 for Arline.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Real interesting game from a fan standpoint.
Mids really needed this game.
laxtothemax

Post by laxtothemax »

Head said: NAVY
Heart said: NAVY
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Seems like the "X-Man" provided a much needed boost for the Mids today!!

Joe

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”