Duke v. UNC 4/21/22 @ 8:00 PM

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Justalaxdad

Re: Duke v. UNC 4/21/22 @ 8:00 PM

Post by Justalaxdad »

Kleizaster wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:21 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:01 pm UNC is ELITE. When they're on their game no one is touching them. they are making Duke look like a JV team that forgot how to play offense
If the Heels win the national championship this year then come tell us how ELITE they are. They always have stellar regular seasons and ACC tournaments. It's in the NCAA's where they frequently need the Heimlich maneuver.

Is UNC an elite team or not?
Of course they are Elite, it’s just some people can’t admit it. Especially when for the past few days they defended Duke and their SOS, RPI, or whatever you want to call it.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

Justalaxdad wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:17 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:39 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:21 pm
Kleizaster wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:01 pm UNC is ELITE. When they're on their game no one is touching them. they are making Duke look like a JV team that forgot how to play offense
If the Heels win the national championship this year then come tell us how ELITE they are. They always have stellar regular seasons and ACC tournaments. It's in the NCAA's where they frequently need the Heimlich maneuver.

Is UNC an elite team or not?
Of course they are Elite, it’s just some people can’t admit it. Especially when for the past few days they defended Duke and their SOS, RPI, or whatever you want to call it.
That was certainly an elite beatdown UNC just laid on Duke.
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Simply Brutal! I'm surprised that UNC didn't get 20.

And now you understand why it's good to have a Taylor Moreno or another really strong goalie. When you have a player who can consistently make saves, you will be in every game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

This team goes far beyond a good GK, they're strong at virtually every position on the field. They could have a mediocre GK and still outscore most teams. Moreno only had 6 saves and Duke only put 12 of 18 shots on cage the entire game. If Moreno hadn't stopped any of them they still would have won 18-12. Meanwhile UNC put 24 of 31 on cage. There's a lot more going on there than a good GK.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

In the end, Duke was easy pickings. Emotionally hung over after beating Boston College, without their starting goaltender, playing on the road—and let’s face it—back to being Duke. Not a legitimate contender to win it all.

A nice bit of instant karma too for the cupcake out of conference schedule they chose.

(And Doc, you can stop smiling and chuckling now. [I'm kidding--enjoy it all you want.])

Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Respectfully, no excuses. No emotional hangover. Good teams get up for their arch-rivals 15 miles down the road. Not. Bigtime players with enormous stats built up over the season have big games against the best competition. Not. On the 18 shots that met the back of the cage, Duke's goalie didn't matter.

I am struck by the intelligence for the game displayed by UNC's offense. In the first half, you just observed them patiently working out what would work. And the UNC defense was just great to watch.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:49 am Respectfully, no excuses. No emotional hangover. Good teams get up for their arch-rivals 15 miles down the road. Not. Bigtime players with enormous stats built up over the season have big games against the best competition. Not. On the 18 shots that met the back of the cage, Duke's goalie didn't matter.

I am struck by the intelligence for the game displayed by UNC's offense. In the first half, you just observed them patiently working out what would work. And the UNC defense was just great to watch.
Not intending to imply Duke had excuses. If you remember, I predicted they would lose this game big, before we knew anything about LeRose not playing. Duke isn't on Carolina's level, no matter when or where they play them. No excuses--just Duke going back to being Duke.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:53 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:49 am Respectfully, no excuses. No emotional hangover. Good teams get up for their arch-rivals 15 miles down the road. Not. Bigtime players with enormous stats built up over the season have big games against the best competition. Not. On the 18 shots that met the back of the cage, Duke's goalie didn't matter.

Not intending to imply Duke had excuses. If you remember, I predicted they would lose this game big, before we knew anything about LeRose not playing. Duke isn't on Carolina's level, no matter when or where they play them. No excuses--just Duke going back to being Duke.
Wondering just how overrated BC is if Duke just beat BC and Duke isn't that a good a team?
crazyhorse

Post by crazyhorse »

+1
That game film should be memorialized for all to see how it's done when it comes to playing phenomenal 1v1 AND team defense. I believe UNC's D is the most underrated unit on the team. Yes, Moreno and Trenchard deservedly get the accolades, but that entire unit gets after it. No gimmicks, just a total shutdown/beatdown.

Larry, I agree. Having LeRose would not have mattered one iota. Emotions don't appear to have factored in either. Duke was pumped up after the 2-2 start and winning the first 6 or 7 DCs. Then reality set in - draw controls evened out and the elite team took over. And yes, it pains me to say it since I am not a big Carolina fan but they are elite. When you beat the #2/only other Tier 1 team in the country by 14, that's elite in my book.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

crazyhorse wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:04 am +1
That game film should be memorialized for all to see how it's done when it comes to playing phenomenal 1v1 AND team defense. I believe UNC's D is the most underrated unit on the team. Yes, Moreno and Trenchard deservedly get the accolades, but that entire unit gets after it. No gimmicks, just a total shutdown/beatdown.

Larry, I agree. Having LeRose would not have mattered one iota. Emotions don't appear to have factored in either. Duke was pumped up after the 2-2 start and winning the first 6 or 7 DCs. Then reality set in - draw controls evened out and the elite team took over. And yes, it pains me to say it since I am not a big Carolina fan but they are elite. When you beat the #2/only other Tier 1 team in the country by 14, that's elite in my book.
I agree with you on UNC's defense. I was impressed with Walker-Welch after the Northwestern game at the beginning of March and have continued to be since then.
DMac

Post by DMac »

UNC is 35-1 in the last two years.
Yeah, I'm sayin' that's an elite team.
Oh, and they will win the NC this year
too. Book it.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:40 am

I agree with you on UNC's defense. I was impressed with Walker-Welch after the Northwestern game at the beginning of March and have continued to be since then.
I am impressed with BWW because she's a freshman. But the one who gets overlooked is Nalls. She's very nearly as good as Trenchard one-v-one; her play on the circle and getting after ground balls is excellent; and she clears and engages transition as well as anyone in recent memory.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:35 am
wlaxphan20 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:40 am

I am impressed with BWW because she's a freshman. But the one who gets overlooked is Nalls. She's very nearly as good as Trenchard one-v-one; her play on the circle and getting after ground balls is excellent; and she clears and engages transition as well as anyone in recent memory.
Yes I agree, and her being a freshman was part of the reason I was impressed too. The other being that she didn't start playing field lacrosse until high school. And I agree on Nalls as well. Between Nalls, BWW, & Dorsey I think the level of play on defense won't fall too far post-Trenchard. Phil Barnes has consistently done a good job.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:13 am This team goes far beyond a good GK, they're strong at virtually every position on the field. They could have a mediocre GK and still outscore most teams. Moreno only had 6 saves and Duke only put 12 of 18 shots on cage the entire game. If Moreno hadn't stopped any of them they still would have won 18-12. Meanwhile UNC put 24 of 31 on cage. There's a lot more going on there than a good GK.

You really believe that? I think if TM(she had 8 saves) doesn't stop ANY shots, that gives Duke confidence and their approach is more aggressive. They won the Draw battle(16-9), but they lost the Turnover battle(15-6)...and that was the big difference for me. Those Draw wins seemed to lead to Turnovers and extra possessions and shots(and scores) for UNC. If those Draw wins had led to shots and TM was completely off, then you might have thought you were watching an NBA game and not Lacrosse.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:55 am UNC is 35-1 in the last two years.
too. Book it.

History says that UNC has had these kind of teams over their 27 year history and the results are...TWO National Titles. Based on that, don't start flexing before you've even entered the Weight Room.

Remember these...2011, 2012, 2018? "Booked" Hotel Reservations and Flights are cancelled everyday. The only sure bookings I remember are when McGarrett told Danny Williams to "Book em Dan-o. Murder One" on Hawaii Five-O!
DMac

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:35 am
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:13 am This team goes far beyond a good GK, they're strong at virtually every position on the field. They could have a mediocre GK and still outscore most teams. Moreno only had 6 saves and Duke only put 12 of 18 shots on cage the entire game. If Moreno hadn't stopped any of them they still would have won 18-12. Meanwhile UNC put 24 of 31 on cage. There's a lot more going on there than a good GK.

You really believe that? I think if TM(she had 8 saves) doesn't stop ANY shots, that gives Duke confidence and their approach is more aggressive. They won the Draw battle(16-9), but they lost the Turnover battle(15-6)...and that was the big difference for me. Those Draw wins seemed to lead to Turnovers and extra possessions and shots(and scores) for UNC. If those Draw wins had led to shots and TM was completely off, then you might have thought you were watching an NBA game and not Lacrosse.
Yes, 8 saves, sorry. Duke had 6 but that still doesn't change the outcome if Mareno has no saves.
This offensive unit for UNC is very efficient, lot of weapons, very tough to stop. They don't make
many mistakes either.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Dr. Tact wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:44 pm What does upper 90 mean?

Please tell me that you're not serious? Do we need to have a Lacrosse jargon quiz? Wait a darn tootin minute...don't you have 2 daughters that play??
DMac

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:49 am
too. Book it.

History says that UNC has had these kind of teams over their 27 year history and the results are...TWO National Titles. Based on that, don't start flexing before you've even entered the Weight Room.

Remember these...2011, 2012, 2018? "Booked" Hotel Reservations and Flights are cancelled everyday. The only sure bookings I remember are when McGarrett told Danny Williams to "Book em Dan-o. Murder One" on Hawaii Five-O!
Yup, I'm on record, I think UNC wins it all (don't care what they've done any other year).
I thought UNC looked beatable as it was coming down the stretch last year and thought
BC looked like the team that was not going to be beat. Feel the opposite this year, UNC
is on a mission. That's a very, very nice looking team all over the field, including in the
cage. Very tough part of the season coming up, we'll see who the lone survivor is soon.
LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:06 am
too. Book it.

Yup, I'm on record, I think UNC wins it all (don't care what they've done any other year).
I thought UNC looked beatable as it was coming down the stretch last year and thought
BC looked like the team that was not going to be beat. Feel the opposite this year, UNC
is on a mission. That's a very, very nice looking team all over the field, including in the
cage. Very tough part of the season coming up, we'll see who the lone survivor is soon.

So you're taking UNC...and I'll take the Field. Why am I taking the Field? Because I have seen this before many times. They get top level HS talent every year. They get players I like and I just can't cheer for them anymore because they're at Chapel Hill. Hahaha. Yes, I have issues and need help!

Taking THE FIELD...and hoping for some team to shock and surprise.

DMac, I gotta hold you to this one..."Yup, I'm on record, I think UNC wins it all (don't care what they've done any other year)."

"Those who fail to recognize history are doomed to repeat it."( a paraphrase of the Santayana quote)
Last edited by LarryGamLax on Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

LarryGamLax wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:27 am
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:06 am
too. Book it.

So you're taking UNC...and I'll take the Field. Why am I taking the Field? Because I have seen this before many times. They get top level HS talent every year. They get players I like and I just can't cheer for them anymore because they're at Chapel Hill. Hahaha. Yes, I have issues and need help!

Taking THE FIELD...and hoping for some team to shock and surprise.
I'm with DMac. And I will add that the BC team we see this year is very good, but misses Urbank and all the grit, intensity, dirty work, scoring and passing and leadership she brought them. I'm not a Carolina fan, not at all. But the depth of this team is just absurd.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”