Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Jldlax

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Jldlax »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:55 pm
Jldlax wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:17 pm
FlyEaglesFly wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:57 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:49 pm Rough outing against a very good team. Not very surprising.

The two biggest surprises for me:
  • Savio struggled at the faceoff dot (4-11), but it was great to see Cottone step in and go 4-5.
  • Sam had 17 saves! Wow! He was dialed in.
I was pretty impressed with the Loyola defense - for what it’s worth
The close D and LSM are very good, the goalie is solid, but the SSD is the area that needs shoring up. The offense is decent but predictable, and lacks dodgers that can force slides. I do not think GU had to slide much at all, leading to stagnation and forced passes. Perhaps all of returning seniors had simply reached their ceilings.
I don't know how many Loyola games you have watched this season, but that is a remarkably insightful summary and a plausible theory. After having watched all of Loyola's games (10 of them in person), all I can add is that at times the goaltending has been suspect, but tonight, it was impressive. Also, the SSDMs have been inconsistent. Rezanka stands out from the others as the clear #1, but as a unit, they are not as solid as the close D and LSMs. Your comments about the offense are spot on. Even the EMO is stagnant.
I am a GU fan and watch a good number of games. I have seen Loyola on TV 2-3 times besides the GU game. In fairness to Loyola, GU has been excellent this year, and the defense is very hard to crack. In GU's only loss, to Princeton, they gave up only 10 goals. The offense is hard to stop as well, and often has multigoal outbursts even it is quiet for periods, as it did last night. Plus GU had to be up for this game, especially after last year's Loyola upset win, and they were. I still think Toomey is a very good coach -- it looks like things may have became stale with this group, for whatever reason.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

No "Pat Spencer-like" offensive threat to run the offense. Loyola, like a lot of teams, need a quarterback to handle the ball...
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:48 pm No "Pat Spencer-like" offensive threat to run the offense. Loyola, like a lot of teams, need a quarterback to handle the ball...

That’s true. I’m coming around to the fact that this was a transition year rather than what we all thought it would be. We are undoubtedly senior and grad heavy, and you can’t rule us out til the fat lady sings.

But it’s clear we haven’t found that one ingredient that makes it great.

Anyway, two games left which we need to sweep. Can’t look past each week now.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:27 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:48 pm No "Pat Spencer-like" offensive threat to run the offense. Loyola, like a lot of teams, need a quarterback to handle the ball...

That’s true. I’m coming around to the fact that this was a transition year rather than what we all thought it would be. We are undoubtedly senior and grad heavy, and you can’t rule us out til the fat lady sings.

But it is the same team from last year, how is this a transition year. FMU is correct there is no leader on offense, even with two 5 year starters out there. There is no threat from the midfield. No need to slide and No crisp ball movement.

The last two games are critical, an improved Colgate and a blue collar Lehigh. Maybe that ingredient is sitting on the bench. I dont know, I do know that what we are doing is not working.

Remember this was a top 10 team at the beginning of the year. We are now a 5-7 team, hoping to make a run in patriot league tournament.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Loyolalax wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:45 pm
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:27 pm

But it is the same team from last year, how is this a transition year. FMU is correct there is no leader on offense, even with two 5 year starters out there. There is no threat from the midfield. No need to slide and No crisp ball movement.

The last two games are critical, an improved Colgate and a blue collar Lehigh. Maybe that ingredient is sitting on the bench. I dont know, I do know that what we are doing is not working.

Remember this was a top 10 team at the beginning of the year. We are now a 5-7 team, hoping to make a run in patriot league tournament.

I mean, it happens. What you thought might occur ends up not happening. We never found an offensive leader or an offensive identity. To the extent we did find an identity, it was the navy game where the boys were successfully moving off-ball, finding back door cuts and keeping a defense with their heads in a swivel all game.

One thing you can be sure of now is the coaching staff is learning from this year. I’m sure they thought they had a better team so far as W-L. They’ll review to see why we have underperformed. I’ll repeat one thing I’ve said for a while: I’m not a huge fan of opening the season with top 5 teams, which we’ve seemingly done every year I’ve followed the Hounds; we are on our heels from the first whistle, with no time to gel. With Pat Spencer and Jacob Stover, okay fine. But those guys aren’t here any more. I’d like Charlie to rethink that strategy.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

Exlaxbro wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:17 am I am curious from those at the game. How was the sideline energy? It was said they looked flat in warmups and the team didn’t get out of the gate very fast. At least the offense did not. The few sideline shots on the broadcast showed Gtown jumping around having fun but they didn’t show much of Loyola. Just wondering if they went flat again in the 4th. The broadcast said Toomey basically blew this game off as he is focused on Colgate so that could explain things somewhat.
Yes, we appeared to be going through the motions during warmups,but I will say that the bench went NUTS when we tied it at 3-3 early in the second quarter. I don't think I've seen that much energy and celebration yet this season. There was less energy from the bench in the second half, but at the same time, we never got close and there wasn't much to celebrate. The bench did seem engaged though. They were all calling out 30, 20, and 10 in unison in reference to the shot clock. I also noticed that they were yelling "over" when Georgetown was trying to clear. I've never heard that before, and was wondering if it was an attempt to confuse the Georgetown players. I think the Hoyas went offside twice during clears early in the game.

Overall, I'd say the bench energy was fine. It's not like they looked like they didn't want to be there. I also heard a lot of bench encouragement when the subs got in during the 4th quarter.
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Subs (two freshmen)got into game with 2 minutes left in game. Just don’t understand the old guard guys here who constantly defend coaches as “knowing best”. Team has underperformed all year. Second line middies are brutal. Fifth year guys look tired and just waiting out the end. Just don’t understand how you don’t play a few of these young guys to see IF they can do anything out there. And putting two freshmen out there with 2 minutes left, after they’ve been standing on the sideline cold in 45 degree temperatures for 2 hours really isn’t doing squat. Would love to see some of these kids get a run or two early. See what they can do. Same thing every week. Second line middies played a ton last night. They were in game early. One shot the whole game. You’ve gotta be kidding me.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:59 pm Subs (two freshmen)got into game with 2 minutes left in game. Just don’t understand the old guard guys here who constantly defend coaches as “knowing best”. Team has underperformed all year. Second line middies are brutal. Fifth year guys look tired and just waiting out the end. Just don’t understand how you don’t play a few of these young guys to see IF they can do anything out there. And putting two freshmen out there with 2 minutes left, after they’ve been standing on the sideline cold in 45 degree temperatures for 2 hours really isn’t doing squat. Would love to see some of these kids get a run or two early. See what they can do. Same thing every week. Second line middies played a ton last night. They were in game early. One shot the whole game. You’ve gotta be kidding me.
what happened to your son is (rightfully) pis.sed you're constantly criticizing the players and coaches of his future team on a forum? and you're out and will let him deal with it?
Bart

Post by Bart »

wgdsr wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:49 am
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:59 pm Subs (two freshmen)got into game with 2 minutes left in game. Just don’t understand the old guard guys here who constantly defend coaches as “knowing best”. Team has underperformed all year. Second line middies are brutal. Fifth year guys look tired and just waiting out the end. Just don’t understand how you don’t play a few of these young guys to see IF they can do anything out there. And putting two freshmen out there with 2 minutes left, after they’ve been standing on the sideline cold in 45 degree temperatures for 2 hours really isn’t doing squat. Would love to see some of these kids get a run or two early. See what they can do. Same thing every week. Second line middies played a ton last night. They were in game early. One shot the whole game. You’ve gotta be kidding me.
what happened to your son is (rightfully) pis.sed you're constantly criticizing the players and coaches of his future team on a forum? and you're out and will let him deal with it?

Oof. I hope this is a pure troll and has been. I’d hate if it’s not and the retuning underperforming players and brutal second line middies know who this is. Could make for a very rough fall.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Loyola dad saying his kid found out he's posting so he has to stop, only to return days later in full force attacking the current players and coaches is what makes this forum special. This is what it's all worth coming here for. Truly the good stuff

But yes always the possibility he's just some disgruntled fan pretending to be someone's dad for some reason. Even if that's the case, still entertaining
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Coaches don't know best; just b/c they're working full-time and rely on team's performance for their livelihood doesn't mean they know more that a player's dad :roll: I'm sure Charlie & MVA aren't playing certain kids in an effort to LOSE games, gimme a break.. All coaches make mistakes, but I believe they all know the talent--or lack thereof-- on their roster.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 am Loyola dad saying his kid found out he's posting so he has to stop, only to return days later in full force attacking the current players and coaches is what makes this forum special. This is what it's all worth coming here for. Truly the good stuff

But yes always the possibility he's just some disgruntled fan pretending to be someone's dad for some reason. Even if that's the case, still entertaining
I think it is Mark Dixon. :lol:
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:16 am
HopFan16 wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:07 am Loyola dad saying his kid found out he's posting so he has to stop, only to return days later in full force attacking the current players and coaches is what makes this forum special. This is what it's all worth coming here for. Truly the good stuff

Actually, if you really want to identify this kid's dad, look for a freshman midfielder from Long Island who hasn't gotten into a game yet. Long Islanders are always the most rational and composed dads.
Last edited by Henpecked on Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Maybe the regulars have underperformed all year. That still doesn't mean those on the bench deserve a shot.

Toomey and staff know what they have and who can perform. They see practice every day. They see the weight room, film room and the classroom. Even if your son CAN play, and is a gamer, he's got to show it in practice and to the coaches to get a shot. This isn't h/s or prep school. Loyola doesn't throw darts in the middle of games, just wishing or hoping to fix problems. Work and Toomey will see it.
Last edited by kramerica.inc on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Henpecked wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:22 am

Actually, if you really want to identify this kid's dad, look for a freshman midfielder from Long Island who hasn't gotten into a game yet. Long Islanders are always the most rationale and composed dads.

:lol: :lol:

Though I’m from Florida, I have friends on Strong Island. Years ago my buddy took me to some huge youth lax tournament at Farmingdale State College. I’m not even sure what set off what ensued, but there was an all out brawl between parents and coaches on one of the adjacent fields. It was both funny and horrifying. Most of the brawling dads had 60” waistlines. :lol: :lol:
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:48 am Coaches don't know best; just b/c they're working full-time and rely on team's performance for their livelihood doesn't mean they know more that a player's dad :roll: I'm sure Charlie & MVA aren't playing certain kids in an effort to LOSE games, gimme a break.. All coaches make mistakes, but I believe they all know the talent--or lack thereof-- on their roster.

+1
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:18 am

Actually, if you really want to identify this kid's dad, look for a freshman midfielder from Long Island who hasn't gotten into a game yet. Long Islanders are always the most rationale and composed dads.

Though I’m from Florida, I have friends on Strong Island. Years ago my buddy took me to some huge youth lax tournament at Farmingdale State College. I’m not even sure what set off what ensued, but there was an all out brawl between parents and coaches on one of the adjacent fields. It was both funny and horrifying. Most of the brawling dads had 60” waistlines. :lol: :lol:
Oh!

Laxfan01

Post by Laxfan01 »

Nothing has changed-this team needs to win the PL in order to have a shot at the NCAA tournament. Despite not playing Lehigh yet, most on this board seem to forget that this team was outplaying both Army and BU until the second half, when it seems we just ran out of gas. So while improvements need to be made, we don’t have to beat Maryland. The Hounds are fully capable of beating anyone in the patriot league. Also need to note that 4 of our 5 losses have come to current top 5 teams in the country. The problem w this group continues to be turnovers and shooting-not suggesting the staff shouldn’t think about making some last second changes esp w regards the second midfield line, but to act like all hope is lost is Ridiculous. Lastly, we have to emphasize that Georgetown is much better than last year. Their young talent has improved tremendously, and they added one of the best defensemen in the country. Their offense seems to flow better without Carroway-if this team can find a way to shoot the ball just a little bit better than our record would look much different
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Insanity. I go back to my earlier post that all but a handful of guys have seen time. Dixon was on the sideline for BU so he must be hurt. Yowan was not even on the sideline. Not sure what is going on there but those who played did not show they were better than those who regularly play. Yes McGorry scored a goal but he turned it over Tuesday night too. He isn’t ready yet. The guys playing are the best we have right now. Hard stop.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:43 am
Peter Brown wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:18 am

Oh!

That’s not far off… :lol:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”