Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
LeeRoggy

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by LeeRoggy »

Holtby is our best player today

Archer's shooting is becoming predictable . . . low to the goalie's right . . . if I'm seeing it, the other team's staff is too.

With the looks we have, we should have 20 goals

The long poles are having a terrific game, Merrimack's goals are on the invert against the short stick, just like Syracuse last year.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

12-11 (should have been 12-8 imo) but a win's a win. Still control our destiny to finish in 3rd place. Some questionable coaching calls, but Holtby played big and was the game MVP. Horton had a great game today too. Great job by Shea at the X and who'd have thought he'd have the winning goal?

Onto to LIU.
kmartin

Post by kmartin »

Some of you may remember "Bad Andy" Vogt from Geneva who was a ball boy and later played midfield for the Bart, that was his son Henry in net for Merrimack. He played a great game for them.

Once Shea went on a little run we got control of it, but we still cannot finish in tight. Our crease presence is still not good at the moment. How many times are guys getting stoned by the goalie one on one today? Three? We dropped a couple and had turnovers on plays that looked like good opportunities. Keep working on it and if we ever get to even moderate competence around the goal we are going to be so much better.

Bach and Simas played well. Merrimack got smart and put the pole on Bach, and put a shortie on Mott, what is that telling you. Mott has to shoot more. Simas manhandled their kid with three goals at the end of the third I think it was. Ballo and Horton had good games too. Holtby getting pretty good at tracking down those passes behind the net. His three or four GBs may have been the difference.

Good to get a win on the road of course and I think we get some home cooking for awhile which we probably need. Once again our shooting % is worse than our opponent by a fair margin.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Actually nobody had 3 goals for us today. Broke a hat trick streak that went back to 2018.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Couldn't watch the game today b/c of work, but followed live stats. Was it my imagination, or were there a ton of turnovers (by both sides)? Seemed like Holtby had a great game, and it looked from the stats like Mac shut our attack down pretty well. Dattilas got 2, but Mott with just 1 and Archer with 0 goals. The midfield is looking strong. So glad to have Bach back. Saw 4 gb for Horton, and it seems others commented on his play today too. Seems like Stevenson got another run today too ... at least he was in the stats for a gb.
Were the rides really that bad? (Again, I was only watching live stats). The numbers showed that Mac had some trouble clearing in the first half. But it sounded from comments like the 10 man ride gave up some goals too.
I agree with KMartin that we need to continue to practice the inside passes and establish a crease presence. I am not even sure if Rosa got much time out there today. Anyone notice? Did Ward get play time today? He does not seem to move like Rosa, but he has done well in EMO in the past. That is a part of the game I am concerned about. We started the year wonderfully, but were 0-2 today.
As FFG said, we need more games. Glad the next one is in Geneva.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

On Ted bakers latest podcast, he spoke of seeing players practicing shooting after the Wm Smith game this past week. It sounds like ALL of our starters on offense need to practice their shooting a lot more. 2 key players shooting 2 for 13 and 0 for 11 is unacceptable at this point in the season. I don't care who you are. Maybe some poles can work with them a bit. Shooting 23% against Merrimack is sad. Glad Holtby and the D got it together after a really sloppy start. Hope Shea can keep getting better. We need it.
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:04 pm Couldn't watch the game today b/c of work, but followed live stats. Was it my imagination, or were there a ton of turnovers (by both sides)? Seemed like Holtby had a great game, and it looked from the stats like Mac shut our attack down pretty well. Dattilas got 2, but Mott with just 1 and Archer with 0 goals. The midfield is looking strong. So glad to have Bach back. Saw 4 gb for Horton, and it seems others commented on his play today too. Seems like Stevenson got another run today too ... at least he was in the stats for a gb.
Were the rides really that bad? (Again, I was only watching live stats). The numbers showed that Mac had some trouble clearing in the first half. But it sounded from comments like the 10 man ride gave up some goals too.
I agree with KMartin that we need to continue to practice the inside passes and establish a crease presence. I am not even sure if Rosa got much time out there today. Anyone notice? Did Ward get play time today? He does not seem to move like Rosa, but he has done well in EMO in the past. That is a part of the game I am concerned about. We started the year wonderfully, but were 0-2 today.
As FFG said, we need more games. Glad the next one is in Geneva.
I think overall both teams committed 20+ TOs. Credit on the D was they caused about 5-6 which was solid. The attack got going late. We had like 1 shot on goal until about the 10 min mark for the 1st qtr. To OBM's comment, our key guys had pretty poor shooting days. The game was almost lost by the coaches, but Holtby saved the day. Credit Shea for getting that 12th goal when we really needed it. No more 10-man ride in the 1st qtr please, we can't spot teams 3 empty net goals and expect to win in the future.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Crap ... 3 empty net goals? Whoa!
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Does anyone remember seeing Herlihy out there in the second half, or at least in the fourth quarter? We started inserting Rosa/Ward at the third attack spot and Mott was coming in off the bench. Just asking if anyone else saw the same thing I did.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:05 pm Does anyone remember seeing Herlihy out there in the second half, or at least in the fourth quarter? We started inserting Rosa/Ward at the third attack spot and Mott was coming in off the bench. Just asking if anyone else saw the same thing I did.
Herlihy took a shot at the 8:00 mark in Q3. I don't see him taking a shot or getting a gb after that. Doesn't mean he wasn't on the field.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Saw on the NEC thread there was a fight at the SJU-LIU game. I trust the fans in Geneva will be less rowdy. In spite of our ups and downs this season, we are 3-1 at home (and really would be 4-0 if we left Holtby in for the second half of the Bryant game), so hopefully we can rely on some "home cooking" to get us the three seed - which considering everything that's happened, would be pretty good.

Two last home games for the Class of 22. Hopefully they go out in style, 2-0.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I saw that! LIU played a very physical game last year, so I expect the same this week. it does not always work to their advantage. If we can get the EMO group working well again, we might capitalize.
Last two home games for the class of 22 ... except for those who are staying for 23. The COVID extension and the new masters in management make it really hard to know who will stay. But we do know who we will lose, and I hope they go out in style (with an NEC championship and some surprise victories in the NCAAs).
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

FL-GO wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:30 pm Saw on the NEC thread there was a fight at the SJU-LIU game. I trust the fans in Geneva will be less rowdy. In spite of our ups and downs this season, we are 3-1 at home (and really would be 4-0 if we left Holtby in for the second half of the Bryant game), so hopefully we can rely on some "home cooking" to get us the three seed - which considering everything that's happened, would be pretty good.

Two last home games for the Class of 22. Hopefully they go out in style, 2-0.
2 ejections of LIU guys in the last seconds of the game Saturday. They will be out for Hobart game
man-down

Post by man-down »

Are the coaches reading this exchange because they have run more players on the field and have worked on the inside game more (with more success against Wagner than Mack)? Kidding about the coaches but nice to see.

As for the next 2 weekends, if Hobart wins out, they are in and should have the 3 seed (because they'd have the tie-breaker over LIU, assuming LIU beats Sacred Heart). But if Hobart loses to LIU, LIU would have the 3 spot and, assuming Mount loses to Bryant - Hobart and Mount would have the same record (2-4) going in to the last game and they'd be playing for the 4 spot. Right?
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

That sounds right re the 4th spot in the scenario you list out.
man-down

Post by man-down »

And if by chance the Mount beats Bryant and Hobart loses to LIU, Hobart would play the Mount the final weekend and have to win for a tying record - and if that happens, I assume Hobart would get the tie-breaker and the 4th spot.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

So much positive enthusiasm before the season and now we are talking about a possible 3 or 4 seed in the tournament. I guess that's why we play the game. Hopefully the players and the coaches see the task at hand and rise to the occasion. Especially the coaches.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Pre season hype was clearly just that hype.
The boys can certainly still make a showing .

Let’s see how they handle a physical LIU squad.
I like a very physical brand of lacrosse but LIU take it pretty far. The two game ending penalties they had last week we’re cheap, stupid and ugly

The guys that committed those fouls should be suspended
To bring those kinds of cheap hits to the last 10 seconds of a game that you are losing by 4 is uncalled for
man-down

Post by man-down »

Do you know which players our out for The Hobart game?
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Really irrelevant if we're the 3rd or 4th seed, still have to go thru 1 & 2(probably) to get the AQ. Just get to the NEC tourney and see what happens--need to be playing best lacrosse starting now..
Last edited by FMUBart on Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”