kramerica.inc

Re: MIAA A Conference

Post by kramerica.inc »

McD wins 12-11 over Culver.
LB over Towson 13-4.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Great win for McD! Any color from the game?
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:17 pm Great win for McD! Any color from the game?
McDonogh was cruising, up 5, then Culver came back and nearly tied the game at the end. They actually were man up with 45 seconds to go, down 1, but could not get the equalizer.

Powderly and Hilgartner shone for the Eagles.

One thing to take away from this game to me is when a top tier MIAA team has a good-to-great FOGO, opponents will be hard pressed to beat them. I think Culver looks slightly better than Hill if not simply because of their raw athleticsim. Gable Braun (McD) is significantly better this year than last, and he has one more year left after this. Culver's FOGO I was told is the #1 FOGO in the country, but by my eyes, Braun was 50% with him, plus he had a goal. I just don't know if there are any other teams in the MIAA with good-to-great FOGO's.

CHC and MCD look to be heads and shoulders above all other teams this year.
Juslaxin16

Post by Juslaxin16 »

Peter Brown wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:28 am
pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 8:17 pm Great win for McD! Any color from the game?
McDonogh was cruising, up 5, then Culver came back and nearly tied the game at the end. They actually were man up with 45 seconds to go, down 1, but could not get the equalizer.

Powderly and Hilgartner shone for the Eagles.

One thing to take away from this game to me is when a top tier MIAA team has a good-to-great FOGO, opponents will be hard pressed to beat them. I think Culver looks slightly better than Hill if not simply because of their raw athleticsim. Gable Braun (McD) is significantly better this year than last, and he has one more year left after this. Culver's FOGO I was told is the #1 FOGO in the country, but by my eyes, Braun was 50% with him, plus he had a goal. I just don't know if there are any other teams in the MIAA with good-to-great FOGO's.

CHC and MCD look to be heads and shoulders above all other teams this year.

I agree McD is solid throughout the win over Culver was great for them. I think McD is a shoe in for the championship and either Hall or BL playing against them. It’s going to be an interesting season.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

It's early and you never know what happens with both team development and unfortunate injuries, but this year, BL is simply not close to either MCD or CHC. Just not close. MCD and CHC are in a class by themselves imo in the MIAA this year, and honestly if you take a look out a year from now, I think the same holds true in 2020 unless another squad (SP might be the case) develops faster than expected.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

So CHC is so far ahead of everyone, and they lost to Hill by I.

Where does that put Gilman who stood toe to toe and lost to Hill by 2?

I think CHC and McD are the favorites on paper, but there will be some surprises this year, like always.

St P, Gilly, LB and St.M could all get hot too.

Lots of lax to play. No conference games have even been played yet!
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Link to tonight’s BL-Brunswick game

https://locallive.tv/archives/41230
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

You beat me to it. :) https://locallive.tv/archives/41230 7 PM EST.

#6 BL vs. #12 (and that #12 is based all but exclusively on their Points from 2018) Brunswick.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

admin wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:36 pm You beat me to it. :) https://locallive.tv/archives/41230 7 PM EST.

#6 BL vs. #12 (and that #12 is based all but exclusively on their Points from 2018) Brunswick.
Brunswick up 6-0@half
Juslaxin16

Post by Juslaxin16 »

Severn spanks friends 16-5
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Brunswick up 9-1 over Boys Latin after 3.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Gilman beats Hereford 8-1.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

9-1 end of 3. BL attack can’t do anything vs Brunswick D, can’t turn the corner on anyone.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Westminster up 4-2 at half over MSJ
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

10-1. this is crazy.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

10-2 final. My apologies to whoever predicted a “thorough thrashing”, that it was and Brunswick was not exactly in mid-season sharpness. BL has some athletic mids but at least to my eyes the attack looked slow. Three pretty solid beatings from Haverford, Culver and tonight for BL, they have a lot of work to do if they want to compete with McD and CH.
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

pcowlax wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:34 pm 10-2 final. My apologies to whoever predicted a “thorough thrashing”, that it was and Brunswick was not exactly in mid-season sharpness. BL has some athletic mids but at least to my eyes the attack looked slow. Three pretty solid beatings from Haverford, Culver and tonight for BL, they have a lot of work to do if they want to compete with McD and CH.

This game was easy to predict when you know the teams and where they'd be mentally last night.

BL has a few 'issues' this year, but let's be clear what the number one issue is: most of their 'real' talent is young, in some cases really young. What I will also say about BL is they will be monumentally different next year; this is the kind of team which will go from being smacked by some teams in 2019, to beating the same ones in 2020. Watch and you shall see.

There are other issues here, none of which go on a public board. But I would say that the coach is learning valuable character lessons this year from this team, and Brian is way too smart to not learn from what he's dealing with.

My guess is they reached their nadir last night and the wounds will help inspire some necessary mental change; that won't suddenly help them win the MIAA, but I doubt you will see losses like last night again this season. If we do, then the wheels will have come off and there will be some much more difficult conversations.
ultimatelaxbro

Post by ultimatelaxbro »

Im sure there may be possible some "deep state" reasons for back to back losses. However, what my eyes tell me is that unexpected injuries have created a bit of a scoring lull over the past 2 games. Despite the losses, playing one of the nations toughest pre-conference schedules sheds a lot of light on where adjustments need to be made heading into conference play. And remember, the top 6 get in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, BL wasnt a 1 or 2 seed last year and ended up making the championship game. A lot can happen (to them and other teams as well) over the next 45 days.
thatsmell

Post by thatsmell »

ultimatelaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:43 am Im sure there may be possible some "deep state" reasons for back to back losses. However, what my eyes tell me is that unexpected injuries have created a bit of a scoring lull over the past 2 games. Despite the losses, playing one of the nations toughest pre-conference schedules sheds a lot of light on where adjustments need to be made heading into conference play. And remember, the top 6 get in the playoffs. If I recall correctly, BL wasnt a 1 or 2 seed last year and ended up making the championship game. A lot can happen (to them and other teams as well) over the next 45 days.
The MIAA teams all have talent. Not all have the same depth. Lack of depth issues are hopefully helping the back end of the roster develop for the future. whether it's this season or next for BL. No excuses in the A. Next man up. Embrace the grind.
I never knew no Godfather. I got my own family, Senator."
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

thatsmell wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:58 am The MIAA teams all have talent. Not all have the same depth. Lack of depth issues are hopefully helping the back end of the roster develop for the future. whether it's this season or next for BL. No excuses in the A. Next man up. Embrace the grind.
That is an excellent post, thatsmell. It bears repeating that, imo only, this is not BL's year but don't count them out forever...their freshman and sophomore classes are superb and my hunch is they will be very dangerous down the road.

In other MIAA news, McDonogh vaulted to the top of the HS rankings, deservedly, as they continue to impress with a well balanced team, good athletes, and deep enough to sustain some injuries. Their body of work to date is great. I do not think they will run through the MIAA without a loss or two, which will hurt their ultimate ranking, but they have had a very impressive start to the year.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ek-3/54107

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”