Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by joewillie78 »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:09 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 pmCuse is in an awful funk and can't figure a way to break out of it. A 1v1 O coming from the midfield isn't going to cut it.
... and the D. They're giving up a LOT of points...
In the shot clock era? If your aim is to make Final Fours, you can all but forget about your D, imho------if your O can't drop 14-18 goals when they need to, all the D in the world won't get you to the Final Four.

This is a slight exaggeration..... but D won't get you there without big O in the shot clock era.
AF, it's funny because it almost seems like it should be opposite in the shot clock era, as your D, by the time the ball is cleared into the Box, your D has to play all out hard for say 45-50 seconds where in the old days, your D would have to play hard for sometimes near 3-5 minutes, with teams like Army, ND etc. , yet the great offenses of today are basically making 1 dodge and then a shot or a pass for a shot, and D's are struggling with this. I understand that because of the clock, you will face more shots, but again, each possession is only 45-50 seconds of intense D.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

CrazyPeople wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:22 am
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 pm
stupefied wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:41 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:28 pm Nothing exemplifies loser energy more than complaining about the transfer portal. It’s part of the game. Either use it and make your team better or don’t use it and be good the old fashioned way. But if you’re 4-7, the only people to blame are yourselves. Whining about other teams success is just loser turd
Nothing exemplifies blowhards who never played the game than going out of their way to incessantly kick a program when its down while boasting about a team that would be average if not for heavy importing of other teams developed talent.
okay and? who stopped cuse from importing other teams talent? no point making excuses, go put together a winning team; there are tons of ways of doing it. which i'm sure gait and co. have been looking at all year.
$88k a year in tuition stopped Cuse from being effective in the transfer portal. That and most likely poorly distributed scholarship money to non-contributors (i.e. Griffin Cook, etc).
Then how did they get Rehfuss and Mariano and Ben Williams and the litany of other transfers they’ve had over the years?
a fan

Post by a fan »

joewillie78 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:02 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:09 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 pmCuse is in an awful funk and can't figure a way to break out of it. A 1v1 O coming from the midfield isn't going to cut it.
... and the D. They're giving up a LOT of points...
In the shot clock era? If your aim is to make Final Fours, you can all but forget about your D, imho------if your O can't drop 14-18 goals when they need to, all the D in the world won't get you to the Final Four.

This is a slight exaggeration..... but D won't get you there without big O in the shot clock era.
AF, it's funny because it almost seems like it should be opposite in the shot clock era, as your D, by the time the ball is cleared into the Box, your D has to play all out hard for say 45-50 seconds where in the old days, your D would have to play hard for sometimes near 3-5 minutes, with teams like Army, ND etc. , yet the great offenses of today are basically making 1 dodge and then a shot or a pass for a shot, and D's are struggling with this.
Yes! It's why I was 100% agains the shot clock...it puts another defender on the field----time.

Boy, was I happy to be dead wrong. Dead wrong. That didn't happen. And I'll be honest---I still don't understand why it's so much easier to score....there are more hands free shots <12 yards out than I've ever seen in 40 years of watching the sport. It's above my pay grade, I guess.

Quint said what many were thinking a few weeks ago, though---there's a pandemic of early slides in D1, creating offense where there is none. I agree with him. I don't know why so many teams are choosing the open pass to the hands free step down over a shot from a bad dodger that's still covered. But that's why I"m in the bleachers, I guess.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

What an awesome moment watching Todd Curry’s emotions as his son breaks his record. ❤️
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
lorin

Post by lorin »

youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:02 pm What an awesome moment watching Todd Curry’s emotions as his son breaks his record. ❤️
I shut the sound off , good moment god bless, but not that big.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

lorin wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:05 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:02 pm What an awesome moment watching Todd Curry’s emotions as his son breaks his record. ❤️
Dude, this is the Syracuse thread. Let them have their moment. Great moment for a parent/son and for a legend for their program.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Well the Curry's would probably disagree with you. Curry was one of the few bright spots in an all time bad season for Syracuse, best of luck to him as he moves on!
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

It'll be interesting to see how soon Pietramala can blend his awesome recruiting class with some fine returning talent. To the many schadenfreudeistas that are smiling like the Cheshire Cat, do not ever think this season marks the death knell for SU.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:49 pm Quint said what many were thinking a few weeks ago, though---there's a pandemic of early slides in D1, creating offense where there is none. I agree with him. I don't know why so many teams are choosing the open pass to the hands free step down over a shot from a bad dodger that's still covered. But that's why I"m in the bleachers, I guess.
Watching a few Cuse games this year, it's also pretty obvious that no one on that Syracuse defense is on the same page for like 40% of the possessions they face. Sliding when it's no necessary. No communication on picks, which leaves the picker wide open. Tough to watch. The U14 coach in me kept yelling at the TV "don't slide!" or "don't switch the pick!"

WRT the shot clock, you'd like to think that lacrosse will follow basketball's lead on this. Switching defenses within a single possession. Throwing junk defenses out there and falling back to the base defense. Anything that forces teams to eat time simply trying to identify what the defense is doing should be a thing going forward. You'll see teams jump into zones off of restarts in short time situations, especially at the ends of quarters, but you don't see that happening in all situations.

Imagine teams using the basketball equivalent of a 1-2-2 press (deep ride or 9.5-man ride) just to slow teams down in the first 20 seconds and then switching defenses within a possession to force an offense to eat 10-15 seconds per defense change? Then you get offenses forcing bad shots and bad passes. Right now, defenses AREN'T using the clock as an extra defender, as you said. But it seems structural to me in that coaches haven't adapted yet.
lorin

Post by lorin »

rolldodge wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:15 pm
Dude, this is the Syracuse thread. Let them have their moment. Great moment for a parent/son and for a legend for their program.
Your right, my bag
a fan

Post by a fan »

Wheels wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 2:33 pm WRT the shot clock, you'd like to think that lacrosse will follow basketball's lead on this. Switching defenses within a single possession. Throwing junk defenses out there and falling back to the base defense. Anything that forces teams to eat time simply trying to identify what the defense is doing should be a thing going forward. You'll see teams jump into zones off of restarts in short time situations, especially at the ends of quarters, but you don't see that happening in all situations..
This was 100% what I was expecting D coordinators to do. Bill Tierney, in particular, out here in Denver. I thought this would make scoring fall off a cliff.

Nope. I was dead wrong. I don't understand why that's not what we're seeing.

I feel like I've seen a ton of different teams play full games this year. Can't recall a single Defense doing this.....switching in the middle of a possession, say, when a shot goes out of bounds, giving D time to switch up.

Maybe I wasn't paying enough attention....
CU77

Post by CU77 »

More confusing for the defense than the offense?
shoothi

Post by shoothi »

One of the reasons for lack of individual or team defense understandings/techniques is the lack of playing other sports as a young kid or in high school.

Play basketball and the concept of playing one on one defense is taught from day one...from stance, shuffling, not reaching in, staying in position, talking, how to watch the ball and know where your man is and learning how to play defense against a pick for gods sakes, Next comes team defense, learning rotations, how to use the sideline as another defender, when to slide, how to slide, more communication, where to guide your opponent into the strength of your defense.

Play football and stance, stepping, and technique is taught at every position. As a linebacker, corner or safety, your are taught man to man principles, how to turn and to run while watching the ball, how to cover area if a zone defense etc.

The single-set athlete we have seen these days is lacking in many of these areas. Watch just about any lacrosse game and then replay the goal. Why the slide when the defender is not beat and why would you ever slide from the front, so the offensive player can see the slide coming...simply stupid. Another pet peeve, sliding from the crease where the offensive player simply has to get in the passing lane and boom, a free shot. How about learning to keep your stick on hand on a player so you can also watch the ball instead of losing your man.

It is ridiculous the majority of goals given up in today's game when viewed from a defensive stand point...ugh
laxdad1434

Post by laxdad1434 »

shoothi wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 6:25 pm One of the reasons for lack of individual or team defense understandings/techniques is the lack of playing other sports as a young kid or in high school.

Play basketball and the concept of playing one on one defense is taught from day one...from stance, shuffling, not reaching in, staying in position, talking, how to watch the ball and know where your man is and learning how to play defense against a pick for gods sakes, Next comes team defense, learning rotations, how to use the sideline as another defender, when to slide, how to slide, more communication, where to guide your opponent into the strength of your defense.

Play football and stance, stepping, and technique is taught at every position. As a linebacker, corner or safety, your are taught man to man principles, how to turn and to run while watching the ball, how to cover area if a zone defense etc.

The single-set athlete we have seen these days is lacking in many of these areas. Watch just about any lacrosse game and then replay the goal. Why the slide when the defender is not beat and why would you ever slide from the front, so the offensive player can see the slide coming...simply stupid. Another pet peeve, sliding from the crease where the offensive player simply has to get in the passing lane and boom, a free shot. How about learning to keep your stick on hand on a player so you can also watch the ball instead of losing your man.

It is ridiculous the majority of goals given up in today's game when viewed from a defensive stand point...ugh
I disagree. If you look at most of these kids kids profiles/biographies, almost all are multi-sport athletes. Every kid on my sons team played 2-3 sports in HS. A lot of them 4 sports until HS.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Ty Xanders @tyxanders 17m
Breaking: @CuseMLAX star Tucker Dordevic plans to enter the NCAA's transfer portal on Monday and will use his final season of eligibility elsewhere in '23, sources told @Inside_Lacrosse. Dordevic led the 4-10 Orange with 47G/12A this year.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

That's unbelievable.
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:12 am That's unbelievable.
It's been out there for a few weeks now in the rumor mill that he had changed his mind about coming back. SU has a major roster turnover happening and I think he's looking to make a run for a title which won't happen here next season. Guy has been here 5 years, almost all of his teammates are gone, he was ready for a new start.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Can’t imagine playing with a bunch of 18-19 year olds when you’re 24 or 25 and on your last year of college is the most appealing thing in the world; especially when you haven’t won and next year is probably rebuilding. Got one more shot to win, go somewhere where you’re more likely to do it.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:17 am
PulpExposure wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 10:12 am That's unbelievable.
It's been out there for a few weeks now in the rumor mill that he had changed his mind about coming back. SU has a major roster turnover happening and I think he's looking to make a run for a title which won't happen here next season. Guy has been here 5 years, almost all of his teammates are gone, he was ready for a new start.
I wish him well. I know a team captain at a CAA school and his coach advised him to move on because he had spent so much time on campus. It was a selfless move. Kid was an AA. I wish Dordevic well. He doesn’t owe anyone anything.
“I wish you would!”

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”