rolldodge

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by rolldodge »

“Second string”
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:41 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:20 pm Alright, I’ll take the bait. First off, the only 2021 transfers that are getting alot of time this year are Donville and Khan, both grads. Prybylski is a back-up. Wisnauskas transferred after red-shirting his freshman year, so he never played for the Orange. And Murphy transferred in after skipping a year at Hopkins… clearly not a Milliman guy. He’s also a back-up middie/attackman.
Prybylski is your #2 LSM — he's not a "back-up." Teams play 2 LSMs. Murphy is not a back-up either. To say he isn't getting a lot of time is simply untrue. He is out there a TON. Not sure what the point is of trying to undersell what their roles are
Fair enough. I never said they don’t get alot of time, I just meant they are not one of the 13 guys who start the first possession on O or D.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

i honestly don't get any of this. transfers have been a part of lacrosse for decades. generations, even.

and other sports, too, of course. no defensiveness needed. cuse was a leading purveyor not long ago and will be again. williams? lade? cometti? mariano? donahue? gavin? caccamo? all the occ guys? herkimer before that? didn't tim nelson and t solomon help get things rolling? weren't rehfuss, scanlan and the gettysburg kid starting last year? i'm sure i'm missing a million guys.

if you're a fan of a team and complaning about transfers, be sure you'll have some on the field soon enough. maybe save some ivies and academies. meanwhile, we have 55-60 person rosters, holdbacks, pgs, redshirts, covid years, you name it.

the only ones complaining or needling should be parents of kids on the bench. they'll do that anyway.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

im responding with facts to the unprofessionalism of a certain few which was cited days earlier by another poster . Said my piece to intended audience . Ill be at a Maryland playoff game rooting for Logan.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

stupefied wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:59 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:44 pm Not to rub salt on the wounds of an already rough season… but Terry Foy is harsh.

In talking about Virginia in his weekly IL men’s rankings:
“They head to the Carrier Dome to take on an Orange team playing its national semifinal vs. them on Saturday (the ’Cuse’s NCAA championship will come vs. Notre Dame on May 1)”

!!!
Fair shot. paying the price for some poor recruiting classes from 18-21. Should have copied Maryland blueprint, import as many top transfers as possible to assist the core and make believe its a organically grown team.
Nah man, think you got salty and sensitive and started this one yourself .... and Logan never even stepped on the field for Cuse
Last edited by masondixonlax on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

stupefied wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:41 pm
jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:28 pm Nothing exemplifies loser energy more than complaining about the transfer portal. It’s part of the game. Either use it and make your team better or don’t use it and be good the old fashioned way. But if you’re 4-7, the only people to blame are yourselves. Whining about other teams success is just loser turd
Nothing exemplifies blowhards who never played the game than going out of their way to incessantly kick a program when its down while boasting about a team that would be average if not for heavy importing of other teams developed talent.
okay and? who stopped cuse from importing other teams talent? no point making excuses, go put together a winning team; there are tons of ways of doing it. which i'm sure gait and co. have been looking at all year.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:28 pm Nothing exemplifies loser energy more than complaining about the transfer portal. It’s part of the game. Either use it and make your team better or don’t use it and be good the old fashioned way. But if you’re 4-7, the only people to blame are yourselves. Whining about other teams success is just loser turd
Nothing exemplifies blowhards who never played the game than going out of their way to incessantly kick a program when its down while boasting about a team that would be average if not for heavy importing of other teams developed talent.
and if we look at the history MD has been in the final four 8 times since 2011... I highly doubt they would be "average"
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

Nothing wrong at all with using the transfer portal. Could stunt development of younger recruits and over the long term effect the quality of your true freshman recruiting classes if used excessively, but that does not make it wrong or bad. But hey maybe don't come over here and act like a total jerk for no reason at all? Says "not to rub salt in the wound" and proceeds to rub salt in the wound. Maybe the meaning of that expression is too complicated for him. Just a total jerk thing to do and no reason for it.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Antonio114 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:33 am Nothing wrong at all with using the transfer portal. Could stunt development of younger recruits and over the long term effect the quality of your true freshman recruiting classes if used excessively, but that does not make it wrong or bad. But hey maybe don't come over here and act like a total jerk for no reason at all? Says "not to rub salt in the wound" and proceeds to rub salt in the wound. Maybe the meaning of that expression is too complicated for him. Just a total jerk thing to do and no reason for it.
Almost as good as “with all due respect”…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
CrazyPeople

Post by CrazyPeople »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:41 pm
okay and? who stopped cuse from importing other teams talent? no point making excuses, go put together a winning team; there are tons of ways of doing it. which i'm sure gait and co. have been looking at all year.
$88k a year in tuition stopped Cuse from being effective in the transfer portal. That and most likely poorly distributed scholarship money to non-contributors (i.e. Griffin Cook, etc).
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:37 pm i honestly don't get any of this. transfers have been a part of lacrosse for decades. generations, even.

and other sports, too, of course. no defensiveness needed. cuse was a leading purveyor not long ago and will be again. williams? lade? cometti? mariano? donahue? gavin? caccamo? all the occ guys? herkimer before that? didn't tim nelson and t solomon help get things rolling? weren't rehfuss, scanlan and the gettysburg kid starting last year? i'm sure i'm missing a million guys.
Smith. Alex Rosier. Rhett Cavanaugh, Brad Roos, Jim Egan, Brook Chase......dozens and dozens of them over the years.

Can't think of a single Championship for Syracuse that didn't involve key transfers. That 83 team was loaded with transfers.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I'm stating the obvious and I'm sure others have said it already (or maybe not) but... Syracuse is good. They're losing games but... They're good. Like most every other perennial power, they take some time before they congeal for the Tournament and, it appears, for this season, they may have, if they ever do congeal, congealed too late. Shame. because, if this team had gotten over the hump, I think they could've made some noise in the Tourney. Maybe could've. And, with that said, their D stinks...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:42 am Can't think of a single Championship for Syracuse that didn't involve key transfers. That 83 team was loaded with transfers.
SU built SU on top of players from Canada, from Junior Colleges, from places that others weren't looking... yet. Including transfers. And then others started doing the same. The nature of competitive advantage. Always be innovating...
Caddy Day
DMac

Post by DMac »

No, they're not good. Their record is 4-8 and will likely be 4-10 when all is said and done. That is not a good team's record.
They hammered Holy Cross when their awesome middies (best in all of college lacrosse if you buy the hype) put a bunch of shots on target from 15 yards out....that's their O. Nope, not good. Face offs wins games boys....oh, wait.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Let me rephrase my post. I think this 2022 SU squad has a lot of latent talent.
Caddy Day
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:06 pm No, they're not good. Their record is 4-8 and will likely be 4-10 when all is said and done. That is not a good team's record.
They hammered Holy Cross when their awesome middies (best in all of college lacrosse if you buy the hype) put a bunch of shots on target from 15 yards out....that's their O. Nope, not good. Face offs wins games boys....oh, wait.
I still don’t know what happened in the Bart game other than that our wings didn’t show up and you guys got away with a fair number of pushes (not crying just reality at the dome) because our guy Shea has played better against both sisselberger and Zach Cole than anyone else all season and got emancipated by Phaup. Bart went downhill real fast after that game too.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:13 pm Let me rephrase my post. I think this 2022 SU squad has a lot of latent talent.
This would be far more accurate, I thought for a minute you intended that post for the wlax side.
Cuse is in an awful funk and can't figure a way to break out of it. A 1v1 O coming from the midfield
isn't going to cut it.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 pmCuse is in an awful funk and can't figure a way to break out of it. A 1v1 O coming from the midfield isn't going to cut it.
... and the D. They're giving up a LOT of points...
Caddy Day
a fan

Post by a fan »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:44 pm
DMac wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:33 pmCuse is in an awful funk and can't figure a way to break out of it. A 1v1 O coming from the midfield isn't going to cut it.
... and the D. They're giving up a LOT of points...
In the shot clock era? If your aim is to make Final Fours, you can all but forget about your D, imho------if your O can't drop 14-18 goals when they need to, all the D in the world won't get you to the Final Four.

This is a slight exaggeration..... but D won't get you there without big O in the shot clock era.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

a fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:09 pm This is a slight exaggeration..... but D won't get you there without big O in the shot clock era.
Agreed. And... D Matters. G'town, Army, and MD are having success and their D has no small role in this. I recognize that their Os are also doing good things but their D plays no small role. On average, these three teams are keeping their opponents below 10 goals per game. And that matters.

Alternatively, SU is giving up almost 15 goals per game. Their numbers are the worst of any of the other top teams. Fairfield gives up over 14, OSU gives up over 13, etc. There are a bunch of teams with similar numbers but... It helps a lot if your D is keeping the numbers down.
Caddy Day

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”