NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Sidelinehorn!

Re: NESCAC

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

sguy9 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:21 pm
Will Peter Lasagna retire? Often asked question as of late.
Probably not, although I wouldn't be surprised. He's been in the game for a long time, this is definitely not the type of season he was looking at for his last. If this is his last, well then we are seeing the end of a great coaching era, Peter is one of the good guys in the game.
100%
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Peter Lasagna is a GREAT guy, and has given everything to the game and still does. He's not a kid.....64 or 65.
I HOPE that he is able to, and is smart enough to go out on his own terms. I am sure that he's seem how long it's taken his brother in law {Dom Starsia} to deal with his release from UVA {totally different, ACC school, etc.}.

I'm glad that they got the win against Conn, and I think they get another against Colby. I'm afraid that if they had gone winless in the NESCAC, there would have been some pressure to retire. Peter will have enormous alumni support, though. My own opinion is that he stays at least another season.....assuming he wants to.

But "even Bates" has much higher expectations, and recruiting to Lewiston {it's not pretty} when you're the age of these kids' grandfathers is not easy.

Peter is the best. A legend. Always willing to pitch in and contribute.
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

Any word on how Hamilton will make up games v. Williams and Trinity?
Similar events occurred around the same time during NESCAC Hoops seasons.
Games were not rescheduled and all 11 schools qualified for NESCAC tournament.
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:28 am Any word on how Hamilton will make up games v. Williams and Trinity?
I am always quite curious what will happen with this situation. In my opinion, if they allow all 11 teams into the tournament, that would be absolutely, downright foolish. There are 55 league games played in a season, and if Hamilton can't make up the 2 games missed, 53 of them will have been played, for > 96% of all games completed.

In an 11 team playoff, like how basketball did it, seeds 1-5 receive byes. For the sake of this exercise, let's take the standings as they are at this moment. Right now Williams would be at 6 and have to squeeze in a play-in game before playing a quarterfinal in two days. (This is assuming the tournament would be structured like basketball, where the play-in games were on Friday and quarterfinals with teams that played a play-in game on Sunday.) There is no way it's fair, or worthy of acknowledging the immense challenge that is a NESCAC regular season, to have the 6th ranked team (which will likely be Amherst, Middlebury, or Williams by season's end) play an extra game against any of the 3 cellar dwellers. If anything, we might have a case where even if Hamilton "forfeited" their two missed games, they might still land above Trinity/Colby/Bates.

Anyways, I'll be pretty disappointed if they let 11 teams into the playoffs.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:28 am Any word on how Hamilton will make up games v. Williams and Trinity?
Same with Nescac hockey except that the rationale was that the season was so screwed up with cancellations, kids being forced to miss games, etc. that it made sense to let them all in. For example, Tufts played one game with a back up goalie that they found on campus cuz 2 of the 3 gks on the team were quarantined. Absent Hamilton, I haven's seen/heard of similar issues in the spring.
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:26 am
Same with Nescac hockey except that the rationale was that the season was so screwed up with cancellations, kids being forced to miss games, etc. that it made sense to let them all in. For example, Tufts played one game with a back up goalie that they found on campus cuz 2 of the 3 gks on the team were quarantined. Absent Hamilton, I haven's seen/heard of similar issues in the spring.
If the season is significantly altered, as it was for both mens's hockey and men's basketball, then the 11-team tournament makes sense. Hopefully the powers that be have the wherewithal to realize that this is not the case for men's lacrosse.
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Let's just say this is Coach Lasagna's final season.... First ballot Hall of Famer as a coach and a human.

Season ends... Who is the right fit in Lewiston? Because Maine and especially Lewiston is an acquired taste. Is there an alum out there? Former Assistant (too bad Bowdoin snatched Mason..)?
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

beantown_lax879 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:38 am
If the season is significantly altered, as it was for both mens's hockey and men's basketball, then the 11-team tournament makes sense. Hopefully the powers that be have the wherewithal to realize that this is not the case for men's lacrosse.
100% Agree - no need to log extra miles in the post season.

Hamilton v. Williams & Hamilton v. Trinity does have seeding & qualifying implications.
Did Williams play MIT a week early, in place of Hamilton? If so, maybe a make up looms mid-week.
Hopefully can find a way to make the Trinity game happen; as Trinity still has a path if they get 2 W's and some help from others.
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

SaltCounty wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:03 am
beantown_lax879 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:38 am
100% Agree - no need to log extra miles in the post season.

Hamilton v. Williams & Hamilton v. Trinity does have seeding & qualifying implications.
Did Williams play MIT a week early, in place of Hamilton? If so, maybe a make up looms mid-week.
Hopefully can find a way to make the Trinity game happen; as Trinity still has a path if they get 2 W's and some help from others.
Hamilton game vs Williams was rescheduled for this Wednesday, but is now off due to the Hamilton COVID issues. Williams doesn't have a game until Saturday vs Wesleyan, and no reschedule for Hamilton is on the schedule.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ah23

Post by ah23 »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:56 am Let's just say this is Coach Lasagna's final season.... First ballot Hall of Famer as a coach and a human.

Season ends... Who is the right fit in Lewiston? Because Maine and especially Lewiston is an acquired taste. Is there an alum out there? Former Assistant (too bad Bowdoin snatched Mason..)?
Certainly a very good human. I don't think any former Bates players are coaching, at least not at this level. The Bates website doesn't list assistant coaches prior to 2019 because of course not, but off the top of my head a few assistants I can remember would be Kevin Warnock (coached at Manhattanville, seemingly now coaching at Suffield Academy and working with PLL Logistics, I doubt it) or obviously Bill Mason (no chance). They had a few young coaches come through, none of whom I can see mentioning as candidates in this hypothetical.

I would be surprised if Lasagna retired after a season like this, but...it's hard to imagine Bates coming close to whatever that fever dream was from 2015-2019 and setting up a nice "go out on top" moment.
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

sguy9 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:56 am Let's just say this is Coach Lasagna's final season.... First ballot Hall of Famer as a coach and a human.

How is it not former Bates assistant and current Bowdoin assistant Trevor Haefele? Coincidence that he was on the Bates staff (and had been for a few years) when they lost two games all year in 2017 I think, by 1 goal each (and no NESCAC/NCAA title to show for it, absolute shame. that team was ridiculously good) and is currently on the Bowdoin staff that I'm assuming he had a big part in holding together through the leadership change. I am fascinated by how search committees value previous HC experience or successful assistant, DI/DIII coaching/playing experience, etc. How this dude isn't the assistant of the year (or tops of any HC search committees this summer) or how the Bowdoin staff is not staff of the year (however they give these awards out these days) would be a head scratcher. Mason should be using any down time to fundraise a salary increase for him. Full disclosure, this is not Trevar or either of his parents.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Have seen Tufts play many times over the years, especially in the Daly years, but every time in Medford. Of course home games in Medford they are far away from the bleachers.

The last time I saw them play was in 2020 against Ithaca the last game before COVID ended the season. They looked unbeatable how fast and aggressive they played. Might have been the best non D1 team I have ever seen.

Saw them tonight against Babson. They still play fast and hard, but after watching them up close, they are unlikable.

Want to root for Mass teams to do well, but the whole persona of the way they carry themselves. Not a good look.
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:11 pm Have seen Tufts play many times over the years, especially in the Daly years, but every time in Medford. Of course home games in Medford they are far away from the bleachers.

The last time I saw them play was in 2020 against Ithaca the last game before COVID ended the season. They looked unbeatable how fast and aggressive they played. Might have been the best non D1 team I have ever seen.

Saw them tonight against Babson. They still play fast and hard, but after watching them up close, they are unlikable.

Want to root for Mass teams to do well, but the whole persona of the way they carry themselves. Not a good look.
You seem to be a hater.
Gorilla Fan

Post by Gorilla Fan »

Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:07 pm
Gorilla Fan wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:11 pm Have seen Tufts play many times over the years, especially in the Daly years, but every time in Medford. Of course home games in Medford they are far away from the bleachers.

You seem to be a hater.
Hater?

Strange you got that from my post. Have admired the way they’ve competed within the whistle. Its impressive.

But… Their bench, their “cellies”, stink like arrogance
Superlite2

Post by Superlite2 »

Mason is doing a great job but lets give a little credit to the group of talented kids that Archbell assembled on Campus...
creasecone66 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:59 pm

How is it not former Bates assistant and current Bowdoin assistant Trevor Haefele? Coincidence that he was on the Bates staff (and had been for a few years) when they lost two games all year in 2017 I think, by 1 goal each (and no NESCAC/NCAA title to show for it, absolute shame. that team was ridiculously good) and is currently on the Bowdoin staff that I'm assuming he had a big part in holding together through the leadership change. I am fascinated by how search committees value previous HC experience or successful assistant, DI/DIII coaching/playing experience, etc. How this dude isn't the assistant of the year (or tops of any HC search committees this summer) or how the Bowdoin staff is not staff of the year (however they give these awards out these days) would be a head scratcher. Mason should be using any down time to fundraise a salary increase for him. Full disclosure, this is not Trevar or either of his parents.
smoova

Post by smoova »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:21 am But… Their bench, their “cellies”, stink like arrogance
... and an haughty spirit before a fall.
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

smoova wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:30 am
Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:21 am But… Their bench, their “cellies”, stink like arrogance
... and an haughty spirit before a fall.
Let's not leave the arrogance and annoyance of the parents/fans out of this...
smoova

Post by smoova »

creasecone66 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:59 pm

Haefele is a good candidate if the AD is willing to go with a younger coach. Toomy might fit that model as well. I also wonder if McCabe would look favorably on a change of venue and a chance to recharge the program at his alma mater.
Njlaxx11

Post by Njlaxx11 »

Gorilla Fan wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:21 am
Unknown Participant wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:07 pm

You seem to be a hater.
Hater?

Strange you got that from my post. Have admired the way they’ve competed within the whistle. Its impressive.

But… Their bench, their “cellies”, stink like arrogance
lol, so a team that celebrates and that's why you don't like them? they're 18-22 year olds. let em have fun. talk about old man yelling at clouds!
sguy9

Post by sguy9 »

Haefele is a good candidate if the AD is willing to go with a younger coach. Toomy might fit that model as well. I also wonder if McCabe would look favorably on a change of venue and a chance to recharge the program at his alma mater.
Haefele could be good. But does the new AD go with the Lasagna coaching tree?

Toomy - solid hire - DIII guy with Nescac and DI exp - would have thought he would have been an HC by now

McCabe - Forgot he was an alum and a Maine native.... Home run if you can make this happen.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”