Navy 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Navy 2022

Post by youthathletics »

....appears we haven't figured out how to cover chaos inside.

A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Two ugly ones in a row. I forgot to record this one on CBS sports network and didn't see it. I looked at the box score, looks like penalties/man down defense, and a face-off disparity, hurt Navy. But that's still quite a pasting. Any additional insight from those there in person or who were able to watch a broadcast?
old salt

Post by old salt »

The Orfling wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:28 pm Two ugly ones in a row. I forgot to record this one on CBS sports network and didn't see it. I looked at the box score, looks like penalties/man down defense, and a face-off disparity, hurt Navy. But that's still quite a pasting. Any additional insight from those there in person or who were able to watch a broadcast?
Inexperienced team that was in disarray in all facets vs one of the most experienced, skilled teams in D-I that was hitting on all cylinders.
https://www.capitalgazette.com/sports/n ... story.html

“Those guys kicked our tails today, from start to finish. There is nothing I can say,” Navy coach Joe Amplo said. “It was a good old-fashioned butt-whipping by Loyola. They’ve found their stride and we haven’t.”

Bailey Savio dominated at the faceoff strip as Loyola finished with a commanding 18-10 advantage in that department. The Greyhounds outshot the Mids 63-36 and won the ground ball battle 43-28.

Loyola did a superb job of disrupting Navy’s clearing game and 12 turnovers through three quarters.

“I was really proud of our effort today. Kudos to our guys for playing hard and battling for 60 minutes,” said Toomey, whose team had not fired off so many shots since totaling 67 against Lafayette in 2015.

Members of Navy’s football team purposefully positioned themselves on the visiting side of the stadium and were quite vocal with their heckling. Toomey said the self-proclaimed group of “hooligans” provided all the motivation needed for the Greyhounds (5-5), who improved to 4-1 in the Patriot League.

“The Navy football team sitting behind our bench helped us out today, I’ll be truthful with you. They challenged us and our guys responded,” Toomey said. “I told [the players] to keep their foot on the gas and let their play do the talking.”

A season-best crowd of 3,197 at Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium saw the Midshipmen (6-5, 2-3) fall apart in all facets for most of the first half, which ended with the Greyhounds ahead 12-3.

James tallied twice as Loyola scored four goals in less than three minutes to start the first-half onslaught. Lindley had a goal and assist as the Greyhounds went on a 5-0 run over the final 4 1/2 minutes of the opening period.

Savio was playing make-it, take-it and the deficit was 10-1 before midfielder Patrick Skalniak stuck a left-handed crank shot into the top corner to break scoring drought of more than 16 minutes for the Mids.

“I think we just played really unselfishly. We found good matchups we wanted and kept the ball moving,” Olmstead said. “We’ve been focusing a lot on our shooting, and it showed in this game.”

Navy goalie Pat Ryan made some outstanding stops amid the barrage of shots and finished with 17 saves. There was not much Ryan could do as Olmstead scored off a slick behind-the-back shot, Lindley got inside for point-blank attempts and James was on target from long range.

“I think those two guys — Olmstead and Lindley — are fantastic on-ball and even better off-ball. Their off-ball movement was fantastic today and they were able to put away their shots,” Ryan said.

Navy helped the visitors by committing six penalties and Loyola’s extra-man unit displayed textbook executing by scoring five goals.

“We legitimately couldn’t do anything to stop them. Their faceoff guy was in control and offensively their shooting was terrific,” Amplo said. “If it wasn’t for Pat, it would have been worse than that. I thought Pat played pretty well. He made good saves and gave us a chance.”

Navy’s top juniors such as Skalniak and Ryan had played just 13 games coming into the season thanks to the pandemic. The Midshipmen have a slew of sophomores and freshmen who have made their college debuts this season.

Meanwhile, Olmstead and Lindley are among 10 graduate students on the Loyola roster, which is also loaded with fifth-year seniors.

“It was a meaningful game in April, and they showed up to play. They played like fifth- and sixth-year seniors,” Amplo said of the Greyhounds. “I saw a really good team going against a team that is not very good right now and needs to get better.”

It was the second straight game in which the Midshipmen were overwhelmed early as they fell behind 8-0 on the way to losing 17-9 at Boston University (8-3, 5-0) last Saturday. Navy, which lost 11-7 to Lehigh (6-3, 4-0), has one more opportunity to prove it can beat one of the teams in the upper half of the Patriot League.

That comes April 23 in West Point against archrival Army (8-2, 4-1).

“I think we’ve regressed the last couple weeks in our performance,” Amplo said. “I know there is a better performance out there for this group and I hope our seniors can pull it out of our guys.”
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 3:16 pm Inexperienced team that was in disarray in all facets vs one of the most experienced, skilled teams in D-I that was hitting on all cylinders.
I did a quick unofficial tally of players in the game by year....it really is not the that much different. Both sides also began emptying the bench.

The biggest difference were the 6 Grad returners, otherwise not that far off. And, last I checked both programs where handcuffed by Covid, Navy did have a few extra weeks they had to miss based on ROM, but they did have more practices then most other teams b/c of ROM. At what point are they no longer excuses....Amplo hints..“I think we’ve regressed the last couple weeks in our performance,” Amplo said. “I know there is a better performance out there for this group and I hope our seniors can pull it out of our guys.”

Something is amiss on the severn.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

There is inexperience on the Navy team, however there is also *a lot* of talent. Skalniak and Bonitz are legit All-Americans, Ryan is a really good goalie, other good pieces on the offense. Don't know that anyone expected they'd win the PL, be an NCAA Tournament team, but the complete no-show losses last two weeks plus ugly loss to MSM early in the year show a team that isn't quite playing up to par IMO
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

With 11 games in the book, the team stats paint a pretty accurate picture of Navy lacrosse: on average Navy is 40th of 72 on all teams in DI lacrosse all stats. Best stat is GB's (11 of 72). Worst is Man down def (55 of 72). With the three remaining regular season games (LaF, Army, Buck) I would guess the stats would remain about the same.

I do not think expectations were that Navy would be in the bottom 50% of DI lacrosse given the talent (hype?) of the last two incoming classes which represent over 60% of the roster. With 60+ people on the roster it must be difficult to get game time for new players who you want to see how they handle real games. That said, I have been shouted down on this so I will leave it alone.

Everyone can have their favorite stats or what they think are the most telling stats. On offense I like to play attention to assists per game. Occasionally you do get a player that can just break down a defense by himself and score repeatedly unassisted. Those are few and far between especially at Navy. Navy is 45 of 72 in asst/gm.

On defense I like to see a positive number for opportunities created for offense (high CTOs, Low TOs, High FO wins, high clears, high GBs) Navy is about dead average here with GBs raising the average considerably.

So Navy is below average statistically and is looking like it will have a .500 regular season and if they make the conference tournament, which they should at presently the 5 seed, they would play the team that just beat them 17-8. That would make them one below .500 for the year: right where the stats have them.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

When you look at the efficiency standpoint of things; Navy is 47th in the country in Adj. Offensive Efficiency. Defensively, 30th. And then facing off, 48th. Considering they beat two NCAA or borderline NCAAT teams last year and as aforementioned, the two great recruiting classes, don't think anyone expected them to be mired mid-pack or worse in those areas, which are usually most tailored with success.

And if you just focus it to PL, they're 7th in AdjO, 4th in AdjD, 5th in FO. Defensively and at FO maybe that's about expected, but 7th in the lg in that area considering the off talent Navy has relative to most, both outside the Top 4 - BU, Army, Lehigh, Loyola - and the bottom 5 is pretty unacceptable IMO.
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

It was great catching up with Alums and watching the MIDS on Saturday. Unfortunately, The hounds just dominated the day. I find it interesting that Amplo continues to blame everybody but himself/staff. Orsen and Amplo were chirping hard at each other around 9-1. I wonder what that was all about. It was heated !

Amplo makes the statement about the Seniors pulling the guys together, Amplo has pretty much benched all the Seniors that have made significant contributions over the years. For Example: This weekend, #2 – didn’t play any significant time, #32- Senior Co-Captain- played maybe 60 seconds total (Nice Man-UP Goal) and # 4 – who carried the load his first two years- took 2 draws. #21 , #5 and #37 continue to see significant time. Plus, I haven’t seen any other Seniors with significant time this year.

I think the major disconnect is that Amplo cannot relate to vigors of the Academy and the type of Student/Athlete that commits to something higher than himself / serving his country.

Once again, this weekend, The MIDS were unorganized at the Box, gave up three goals on simple substitution, couldn’t clear the ball, defensively were always in the spin cycle and an only attacked from the midfield.

Hoepfully the game is on ESPN this weekend.

GO NAVY !
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:11 am It was great catching up with Alums and watching the MIDS on Saturday. Unfortunately, The hounds just dominated the day. I find it interesting that Amplo continues to blame everybody but himself/staff. Orsen and Amplo were chirping hard at each other around 9-1. I wonder what that was all about. It was heated !

Amplo makes the statement about the Seniors pulling the guys together, Amplo has pretty much benched all the Seniors that have made significant contributions over the years. For Example: This weekend, #2 – didn’t play any significant time, #32- Senior Co-Captain- played maybe 60 seconds total (Nice Man-UP Goal) and # 4 – who carried the load his first two years- took 2 draws. #21 , #5 and #37 continue to see significant time. Plus, I haven’t seen any other Seniors with significant time this year.

I think the major disconnect is that Amplo cannot relate to vigors of the Academy and the type of Student/Athlete that commits to something higher than himself / serving his country.

Once again, this weekend, The MIDS were unorganized at the Box, gave up three goals on simple substitution, couldn’t clear the ball, defensively were always in the spin cycle and an only attacked from the midfield.

GO NAVY !
You left out #40, another senior.

I somewhat disagree about the comment re: Amplo cannot relate, my son said it was breath of fresh air, and when you stepped in his office it was the person, not the game. Maybe it is façade...no clue.

Wellner left the cupboards full, and seldom had foiled games other than an admittedly bad game plan vs Princeton a few years ago.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:55 am
TheGoat1999 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:11 am It was great catching up with Alums and watching the MIDS on Saturday. Unfortunately, The hounds just dominated the day. I find it interesting that Amplo continues to blame everybody but himself/staff. Orsen and Amplo were chirping hard at each other around 9-1. I wonder what that was all about. It was heated !

GO NAVY !
You left out #40, another senior.

I somewhat disagree about the comment re: Amplo cannot relate, my son said it was breath of fresh air, and when you stepped in his office it was the person, not the game. Maybe it is façade...no clue.

Wellner left the cupboards full, and seldom had foiled games other than an admittedly bad game plan vs Princeton a few years ago.
#4 & #63 were the top FO guys before the rule change. They've had their opportunities the past 2 seasons but have not matched #45 & #58.

They all had a "fair shot" in game competition. They were casualties of the rules change. They are still in the matchup mix.

#2 missed some of the pre & early season. I wonder if he's injured ?

I suspect that #6 is playing more & #32 less because they hope that #6, with his size, can generate opportunities by dodging.
In recent games, the inside looks have not been there that #32 feasted on earlier. I think Navy is seeing more zone & that favors #6.
What do you see, YA ?

#40 is the #4 pole & comes in on man down. He filled in when #34 was injured & played well.

There aren't many other seniors.

I don't know if it's an unusual %, but I've noticed several instances of team d breakdown when an o-middie is stuck on the field & has to play d. Might not result in an immediate shot but it gets the ball moving to the open man. You can see opponents going immediately for that iso matchup. Maybe a little more practice for the o middies on transition to d, especially the guys on MF2. Just my random observation.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:16 pm I suspect that #6 is playing more & #32 less because they hope that #6, with his size, can generate opportunities by dodging.
In recent games, the inside looks have not been there that #32 feasted on earlier. I think Navy is seeing more zone & that favors #6.
What do you see, YA ?
When I see zone, I think EMO. You need your best hall handlers & finishers out there and given the choice of 6 or 32, I'd take 32 each and every time. I am perplexed by the staffs decision....you have a verifiable known with 32 and yet you opt to not use him; IMO it self destructive shortsightedness.

It was clear to me when they where were sending 29 to the left attack spot, then rolling 10 inside. Again, do you want 32 or 10 inside? To me its a no-brainer...and not a slight at 10 at all.

I still am befuddled why he have no true righty attack threat, again, just strange. We keep trying to float a middie down to that spot in our formations, for an 'occasional' look, it isn't working. If you recall, look how they used 57 the last two years, he was a scout guy his first two years, he balanced the attack and forced the defense to honor him...which did what?...exactly, it opened up the field more for everyone else. He also was great at allowing the game to come to him. Take a look at 6's stats this year compared to last...juggling him between A/M is not really working out in their favor.

I get it, I am just an observing fan...but actions indicate the staff is befuddled on how to best use the talent they have. The players are not stupid, they see what is going on, and certainly are not going to object, verbally, to what is taking place.....but it can have an impact on the field, no? ;)
~Livy

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

For the first time in years, I have to say that I am at least slightly concerned about Lafayette. They have a ways to go, but they definitely are improved.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

No doubt gymman..

We lost to them in 17'' and it was no walk in the parkin 21'. You can best believe the LL's will be ready to run through a brick wall tomorrow knowing they see signs of weakness in Navy these past couple weeks. Here's hoping to a score like in 18'.
~Livy

gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Lafayette also has a little extra incentive because it is Senior Day. This game scares me. Hate to say it, but, due to recent results:

heart says Navy
head says Lafayette
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:06 am Lafayette also has a little extra incentive because it is Senior Day. This game scares me. Hate to say it, but, due to recent results:

heart says Navy
head says Lafayette
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Important win for Navy. Didn't get to watch the game. Sounded like good defense with some timely offense thrown in there. As for the remaining two games(at Army and home against Bucknell), while I would love a sweep, I wouldn't be too disappointed with a split.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

gymman1031 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:04 am Important win for Navy. Didn't get to watch the game. Sounded like good defense with some timely offense thrown in there. As for the remaining two games(at Army and home against Bucknell), while I would love a sweep, I wouldn't be too disappointed with a split.
Speaking of their defense, it was a bit more simplified and disciplined. Reminiscent of old Byrne ND defense and one that I have used in coaching for many years. It is quite effective, not filled with multiple layers of slide packages, and can be executed as a high pressure or low pressure on ball/AJ strategy, with plenty of support inside.

Offense was meh. Noticed they sprinkled in some fresh players....which was refreshing. Kudos to #16 on his first Goal and to coach Goers snagging it for him after the play. Seems #6 was out for a known/unknown reason and #16 did a fine job. IMO, it scratches that itch I have been fussing about with a righty attackman always being out there that the D has to respect...will be interesting to see how it unfolds this week. And the skip passes are what started the scoring ... ;) 8-)

Army is getting lots of love, sneaking in the top 5....honestly can not recall when the last time was, if evah. Betting Cornell this week, seems to have had lots of weight, but also seems the IL is all over the place, just enough to mix things up.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:12 pm Offense was meh. Noticed they sprinkled in some fresh players....which was refreshing. Kudos to #16 on his first Goal and to coach Goers snagging it for him after the play. Seems #6 was out for a known/unknown reason and #16 did a fine job. IMO, it scratches that itch I have been fussing about with a righty attackman always being out there that the D has to respect...will be interesting to see how it unfolds this week. And the skip passes are what started the scoring ... ;) 8-)
Regarding productivity out of the righty wing spot, if you total the goals scored by #32, #6, #24, #16, that position is the team leader. #32 & #6 were not on the field together enough to be statistically significant. There's been production out of the position. It just has not always been pretty. That said, #16 played well & kept the ball moving.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 pm
youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:12 pm Offense was meh. Noticed they sprinkled in some fresh players....which was refreshing. Kudos to #16 on his first Goal and to coach Goers snagging it for him after the play. Seems #6 was out for a known/unknown reason and #16 did a fine job. IMO, it scratches that itch I have been fussing about with a righty attackman always being out there that the D has to respect...will be interesting to see how it unfolds this week. And the skip passes are what started the scoring ... ;) 8-)
Regarding productivity out of the righty wing spot, if you total the goals scored by #32, #6, #24, #16, that position is the team leader. #32 & #6 were not on the field together enough to be statistically significant. There's been production out of the position. It just has not always been pretty. That said, #16 played well & kept the ball moving.
Counter point. I have not not seen every goal this season, but would argue that the majority of those goal came from inside or climbing from X, NOT initiated from the righty wing. Look at where the vast majority of the goals come (and are initiated) from by 28 and 29, in a position that would have otherwise been an attackman dodging from the wing......all this is my point, It squeezes your attackman down into more confined space...and that does what?, exactly, it makes them far easier to cover.

If you step back and look at it from 10k-ft view, it seems to be a by-product of the 'type/style' of 2-2-2 offense Ross is running. It is maximizing the shooters in 28/29 but making it awfully tough for the rest of the guys.
~Livy

old salt

Post by old salt »

youthathletics wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:21 pm
old salt wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:53 pm
Counter point. I have not not seen every goal this season, but would argue that the majority of those goal came from inside or climbing from X, NOT initiated from the righty wing. Look at where the vast majority of the goals come (and are initiated) from by 28 and 29, in a position that would have otherwise been an attackman dodging from the wing......all this is my point, It squeezes your attackman down into more confined space...and that does what?, exactly, it makes them far easier to cover.

If you step back and look at it from 10k-ft view, it seems to be a by-product of the 'type/style' of 2-2-2 offense Ross is running. It is maximizing the shooters in 28/29 but making it awfully tough for the rest of the guys.
Who's Navy's last righty wing attackman who could effectively dodge from the wing. #6, like Jack Ray before him, are big, physical climbing from X dodgers. Perreten & #32 are savvy lurkers who find the open spot inside. #21 is a X man, not a wing attackman. Have not yet seen a healthy #24 to see what he can do from the wing, but I think he initiates most often from x, or at least that's the plan. Let's see what #16 can do.
I haven't charted them but most of the goals seem to be initiated by 29, 28, or 43, whoever can iso on a shorty.
When MF2 is playing, they try to iso 64 on a shorty, often from an invert.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”