UVA at Duke 4/14 at 1

D1 Mens Lacrosse
JoeMauer89

Re: UVA at Duke 4/14 at 1

Post by JoeMauer89 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:50 am
127205020 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:21 pm Every season is new and different, as is every game. No single program is superior looking forward. Duke could stay hot. UVA could get healthy or continue to nosedive. ND could run the table or fall short by one goal per game. Maryland could get struck dead by complacency or injuries. Rutgers could reignite or blow up. Georgetown could catch fire or choke. Any Ivy could throw flames or flame out. You with me? Just enjoy the ride, it's a bunch of early 20 somethings playing the game they love.
+1
+1000, we can all agree on that!!

Joe
calourie

Post by calourie »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am
127205020 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 11:21 pm Every season is new and different, as is every game. No single program is superior looking forward. Duke could stay hot. UVA could get healthy or continue to nosedive. ND could run the table or fall short by one goal per game. Maryland could get struck dead by complacency or injuries. Rutgers could reignite or blow up. Georgetown could catch fire or choke. Any Ivy could throw flames or flame out. You with me? Just enjoy the ride, it's a bunch of early 20 somethings playing the game they love.
+1

Joe
Of course we could all let reality in college lacrosse (and all things human and otherwise) run its' course without comment, judgement, analysis, prognostication or emotion, but that would seem to run counter to the tendencies and natures of a vast majority of us both here in this forum, and perhaps even in our culture at large . For better or worse, many of us delight in commenting on, judging, analyzing, predicting and emoting about almost any issue, particularly the sports and teams we feel most passionate about. I do all of the aforementioned, and will likely continue to do so, and still get an enormous kick out of watching a bunch of 20 somethings play the game they love, particularly when they do it well
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

calourie wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:21 pm
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:54 am
+1

Joe
Of course we could all let reality in college lacrosse (and all things human and otherwise) run its' course without comment, judgement, analysis, prognostication or emotion, but that would seem to run counter to the tendencies and natures of a vast majority of us both here in this forum, and perhaps even in our culture at large . For better or worse, many of us delight in commenting on, judging, analyzing, predicting and emoting about almost any issue, particularly the sports and teams we feel most passionate about. I do all of the aforementioned, and will likely continue to do so, and still get an enormous kick out of watching a bunch of 20 somethings play the game they love, particularly when they do it well
That, too, +1.
Chousnake

Re: UVA at Duke 4/14 at 6

Post by Chousnake »

lorin wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:34 am
Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:28 am
PulpExposure wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:26 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:05 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:44 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:16 pm Didn’t Duke make the Final Four last year ?
And so then, they were the 4th or 5th best team last year
depending on your point of view.
No chance they were getting past either UVA or the Terps.
Before the season everyone was claiming there was no chance UVA or the Terps could get past them. They've had arguably the most talented roster in the country two years in a row.

Doesn’t Tillman do far more with far *advertised* less?

Top of my head #1 recruits:

Duke: O’Neill (#1 recruit), McAdory (#1 recruit),

UVA: Moore (#1 recruit), Shellenberger (#1 recruit)

UMD: ummmmmm?
UVA also has Griffen Schutz who is #1 for the freshman class. Maryland has never gotten a #1 recruit*, which is kind of amazing to think about, as good as Maryland has been traditionally and as good as Tillman is as a recruiter.

* Rambo was 2nd to Jordan Evans. Oops.

Forgot about Schutz. UVA/Lars really has had an embarrassment of riches. Ryan Conrad was #1 too.

Again, no dog in the hunt, and I’m aware Maryland gets it’s fair share of quality players, but Tillman doesn’t get the *incoming* classes of either Duke or UVA, and therefore seems to do more with less. I doubt Bernhardt was the top player in his year, coming out of Florida? Yet look what he did.
Am I missing something about the ACC, their best OC game was a win over now # 18 Denver. ACC teams have O wins against top ten OC teams
But but but it's the ACC!!! They play each other! And they all have so many "good" losses against those top 10 teams!

You are correct. The ACC has a mediocre out of conference record and no wins OOC against top 10 teams. If the Ivies had a similar OOC record, the pundits would be talking about whether more than 1 or 2 teams should get at large bids into the tourney. It's time the ACC faces the same scrutiny this season.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:45 pm
If the Ivies had a similar OOC record, the pundits would be talking about whether more than 1 or 2 teams should get at large bids into the tourney.
What?!?

If the Ivies had the same record it would be AQ and nothing else, and there wouldn't even be any discussion.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Chousnake wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:45 pm
PulpExposure wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:26 am
Peter Brown wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:05 pm
jrn19 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:44 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:16 pm Didn’t Duke make the Final Four last year ?
And so then, they were the 4th or 5th best team last year
depending on your point of view.
No chance they were getting past either UVA or the Terps.
Before the season everyone was claiming there was no chance UVA or the Terps could get past them. They've had arguably the most talented roster in the country two years in a row.

Doesn’t Tillman do far more with far *advertised* less?

Top of my head #1 recruits:

Duke: O’Neill (#1 recruit), McAdory (#1 recruit),

UVA: Moore (#1 recruit), Shellenberger (#1 recruit)

UMD: ummmmmm?
UVA also has Griffen Schutz who is #1 for the freshman class. Maryland has never gotten a #1 recruit*, which is kind of amazing to think about, as good as Maryland has been traditionally and as good as Tillman is as a recruiter.

* Rambo was 2nd to Jordan Evans. Oops.

Forgot about Schutz. UVA/Lars really has had an embarrassment of riches. Ryan Conrad was #1 too.

Again, no dog in the hunt, and I’m aware Maryland gets it’s fair share of quality players, but Tillman doesn’t get the *incoming* classes of either Duke or UVA, and therefore seems to do more with less. I doubt Bernhardt was the top player in his year, coming out of Florida? Yet look what he did.
Am I missing something about the ACC, their best OC game was a win over now # 18 Denver. ACC teams have O wins against top ten OC teams
But but but it's the ACC!!! They play each other! And they all have so many "good" losses against those top 10 teams!

You are correct. The ACC has a mediocre out of conference record and no wins OOC against top 10 teams. If the Ivies had a similar OOC record, the pundits would be talking about whether more than 1 or 2 teams should get at large bids into the tourney. It's time the ACC faces the same scrutiny this season.
may come as a surprise, but teams are evalated individually. as an example, p'ton has a good record by your metrics, but the rest of the ivy... not so much.
cornell does have a w vs #9 tosu. we'll see if they hold up top 10.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Yup. No one’s really talking about UVa in this context, but they’ve got zero RPI wins against the top 10, and have lost to #12 and #16. Their best wins are against #14 (ND), twice against #15 (UNC), and once against #20 (Hopkins). Their remaining games are against #56, #31, and #70. They could potentially fall out of the top 10 in RPI, and not be seeded going into the tournament. Pretty unbelievable.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 5:08 pm

Yup. No one’s really talking about UVa in this context, but they’ve got zero RPI wins against the top 10, and have lost to #12 and #16. Their best wins are against #14 (ND), twice against #15 (UNC), and once against #20 (Hopkins). Their remaining games are against #56, #31, and #70. They could potentially fall out of the top 10 in RPI, and not be seeded going into the tournament. Pretty unbelievable.
Doesn't matter if Virginia gets a low seed. Matter of health .

Shellenberger has to stay healthy over these next two games and uva has to allow Moore hammy to be recover full strength. Tiffany should give LaScalla the last game off

Virginia gets a nice rest after last game till tourney . Be rested and hopefully all healthy and at full strength entering tourney . Saw what happens last two tourneys , couple of bad regular season losses then turn up and run the table to two consecutive chips.
molo

Post by molo »

Duke was a sleeping giant before this game. The giant has woken up. Could they revert and drop a game they should win? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to face them in the tournament.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

molo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:09 pm Duke was a sleeping giant before this game. The giant has woken up. Could they revert and drop a game they should win? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to face them in the tournament.
Someone, can’t remember who, pointed out that Duke is pretty dependent on Adler. This has been especially true the last few games.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

molo wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:09 pm Duke was a sleeping giant before this game. The giant has woken up. Could they revert and drop a game they should win? Maybe, but I wouldn't want to face them in the tournament.
Im not sure where they stand. Looked strong vs uva but still see Duke as third best in ACC behind a healthy UVA and an improving ND. Still question devils defense , productive attack but lack the true distributor of others . That frosh mid is excellent and Landin emerging has given that unit another threat while and some secondary players are getting more involved. Montgomery can be good but performances are very inconsistent , sometimes shines other times invisible .Adler can have big games but bit inconsistent . See ND being a sleeper as more complete team ever since young fogo improved and Taylor inserted. Who gets in and how many remains to be seen. Know talk was all Ivy but shine may fade . b10 problably places three and acc might do same.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

stupefied wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:33 pm

Shellenberger has to stay healthy over these next two games and uva has to allow Moore hammy to be recover full strength. Tiffany should give LaScalla the last game off

Virginia gets a nice rest after last game till tourney . Be rested and hopefully all healthy and at full strength entering tourney . Saw what happens last two tourneys , couple of bad regular season losses then turn up and run the table to two consecutive chips.
Agreed. While UVa is not quite at the level of last year, the health of Moore and Lasalla has not helped. Didn’t know Moore’s issue was a hammy. That is not good. Hamstring injuries are notorious for not fully healing for months, and notorious for being re-injured if not fully healed. The thing is you can do alot of things on an injured hamstring, but you can’t go top speed until it is fully healed. And if you try, you’re prone to reinjure it.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:53 pm

Agreed. While UVa is not quite at the level of last year, the health of Moore and Lasalla has not helped. Didn’t know Moore’s issue was a hammy. That is not good. Hamstring injuries are notorious for not fully healing for months, and notorious for being re-injured if not fully healed. The thing is you can do alot of things on an injured hamstring, but you can’t go top speed until it is fully healed. And if you try, you’re prone to reinjure it.
he tried to give it a go less than a week out vs. duke. that's a good sign, especially how he grabbed it and came off.

guessing he won't start tthe game vs cuse unless it's close to 100, and then he'll have like 3 weeks off from there. 4 plus if he doesn't play. hopefully, that'll be enough.

with uva's break of 3 weeks, lasalla and a few others are banged up, but get a chance at least to heal up. nothing for sure if they don't put 2 more w's in the books, tho.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 7:13 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:53 pm

he tried to give it a go less than a week out vs. duke. that's a good sign, especially how he grabbed it and came off.

guessing he won't start tthe game vs cuse unless it's close to 100, and then he'll have like 3 weeks off from there. 4 plus if he doesn't play. hopefully, that'll be enough.

with uva's break of 3 weeks, lasalla and a few others are banged up, but get a chance at least to heal up. nothing for sure if they don't put 2 more w's in the books, tho.
If Moore’s hammy has been injured enough to hamper him on the field, he’s likely not going to be able to go full-speed for the rest of the season.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

True, hammies need extended rest. Shellenberger has to stay health'y and LaScalla has to be at full strength come tourney. Made no sense to me for Tiffany to be playing Lascalla for 3q agaisnt Quiinpiac as they could beat that team losing every faceoff. Gotta protect these players from themselves
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:54 am True, hammies need extended rest. Shellenberger has to stay health'y and LaScalla has to be at full strength come tourney. Made no sense to me for Tiffany to be playing Lascalla for 3q agaisnt Quiinpiac as they could beat that team losing every faceoff. Gotta protect these players from themselves
Yeah I was wondering about that too; they were playing a bottom 5 team in Division 1, that would have been a great opportunity to play LaSalla’s back-up the whole game, and give him some experience. Actually, I’m surprised that Lars has been playing Moore as much as he has, even if he did sit against Quinnipiac.

That being said, Lars is in my opinion the best coach in college lax, so I’m sure he had his reasons.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Lars is the best coach in the NCAA as far as I’m concerned. But managing the PT of his star players with regards to injury isn’t his strong suit.
Signed, every Brown fan from 2016
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 6:19 pm
stupefied wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:54 am True, hammies need extended rest. Shellenberger has to stay health'y and LaScalla has to be at full strength come tourney. Made no sense to me for Tiffany to be playing Lascalla for 3q agaisnt Quiinpiac as they could beat that team losing every faceoff. Gotta protect these players from themselves
Yeah I was wondering about that too; they were playing a bottom 5 team in Division 1, that would have been a great opportunity to play LaSalla’s back-up the whole game, and give him some experience. Actually, I’m surprised that Lars has been playing Moore as much as he has, even if he did sit against Quinnipiac.

That being said, Lars is in my opinion the best coach in college lax, so I’m sure he had his reasons.
They talked about that on the broadcast. The backup faceoff man is injured, forcing LaSalla to play.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Gatsby wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:00 pm

They talked about that on the broadcast. The backup faceoff man is injured, forcing LaSalla to play.
Ah, got it. Surprised that UVa doesn’t have a third FOGO on the roster.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Gatsby wrote: Wed Apr 20, 2022 9:00 pm

braun was sick, not injured. next backup is lsm to muck it up. lasalla was definitively not 100%, and questions about continuing to go in there are valid.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”