Georgetown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
rolldodge

Re: Georgetown 2022

Post by rolldodge »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:03 pm Hats off to the PC goalie. Thought he played outstanding.

Also nice to get the transition game going.
Scharfenberger is a very worthy replacement for McElroy when it comes to outlet passes….
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Man, Gtown is the most underrated #2 team in a minute. They get very little media coverage.

After multiple paragraphs for other teams Terry Foy writes for IL:
The Hoyas beat Providence 15-5 in a game in which Graham Bundy had six goals and an assist. The Hoyas host Marquette on Saturday and Loyola on Tuesday. Dylan Hess, Owen McElroy and TJ Haley struggled with injuries or illness in the preseason, though only Haley missed time; he made his season debut in game two. More recently, however, McElroy has missed the Hoyas’ last three games, and freshman Michael Scharfenberger has played in his absence.
Quint Kessenich for Lax All Stars, a single paragraph to the tome's he writes for other teams:
The Swamp Dogs have won five straight, the latest being a 15-5 blowout at Providence. Graham “King Kong” Bunny scored 6 times. Connor Morin added 3 goals and the top scoring defense held the Friars to just 2 goals after 45 minutes, up 12-2 before subbing liberally. Goalie Owen McElroy did not play. Marquette visits the nations capital on Saturday.
Don't you think that fact that the 1st Team AA goalie hasn't played for three games (two against ranked opponents) and yet Gtown has won all three games solidly is a bigger story than what is reported?

The media/coaches/etc are consistently ranking them #2, but says things like (Terry Foy):
"Full disclosure: I think Yale is the second-best team in the country but I don’t think they should be ranked ahead of Georgetown because both the Cornell and especially the Penn State losses are worse than the Hoyas’ loss to Princeton. That said, the way that this Bulldog team played the last week looks like the only team that can beat Maryland right now."
To be honest, I'm very happy for Gtown to be under the radar, but it seems very clear to me that very few fans/commentators have actually watched Georgetown play this season, or at least not very closely. I suspect it will stay this way up until tournament time, as they don't play any of this years "big names" the rest of the way.

Paradoxically, I think this viewpoint is the result of how consistent Gtown has been this season and also how they have not relied primarily on one or two "stars" to propel them forward.

I'm looking at the stats: #1 scoring defense, #8 scoring offense, #4 FOGO, 1st Team AA goalie returning with his understudy getting substantial time to develop, Top Scorer in D1 (gpg), Agruably best long pole in D1 ... I'm pretty excited about how this team has performed and where they may be able to take it.

I'm reluctant to "blow their own horn", but sometimes you have to take a moment to appreciate the positives even if no one else is going to.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Personally I do think there’s been a bit of resistance/pushback to the Hoyas from traditional media/fans of powerhouse teams/etc. They’re not an ACC or B1G team, haven’t been in the National picture for awhile prior to last few years. There’s some built in doubt I think that other teams usually get the benefit of the doubt on. They’re legit and a threat to win it all.

However, I think some of the muted coverage is also their schedule for the last few weeks and next few weeks doesn’t seem them really play anyone on their level. After the Princeton game, won’t play a Top 10 team till the tournament. Not their fault, but Denver being down and Loyola as their April OOC opponent being down as well means it’s a little light towards the end of the season. Makes them tougher to gauge relative to the Ivies or Maryland who has back to back last two weeks vs Top 10 teams.
HGK

Post by HGK »

As Big U would say “don’t tell me. Show me!” Agree they need to prove it.

That said the Hoyas have had one hiccup. Other than the Terps nobody can say that. Nobody! This team has some flaws but they play hard, together and smart. Give me a top 3 Fogo, #1 keeper (arguably), Bundy, Watson, Mcdermott, Haley, Morin etc on Offense. Bowen, Smith , Donaldson, Geddes, Mazzone Tominovich and Halpert etc on Defense and i’ll take my chances that these boys have a legit shot for MDW.

Let’s go Hoyas!
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I agree. It is rather unfortunate they aren’t on TV more.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

TV Coverage probably does have a lot to do with it.

But I agree ... happy in many ways to be under the radar. Media coverage doesn't win championships. Defense however does and, while Maryland is the best team in D1 in virtually every offensive category, the only team in the top 10 with a better scoring defense (and the number 1 overall defensive efficiency) is Georgetown.

There is a ways to go, and Maryland is the clear favorite at this point. I just don't think that if anyone can beat Maryland, they are going to do it with better offense.

Seeding is going to be a big factor this year. Georgetown will need to finish out the season strong. Villanova, Loyola, and the Big East Tournament are particularly going to be battles.
Lax3

Post by Lax3 »

This Georgetown defense is downright nasty. They had one off game - against a very good Princeton team - but they are very talented and athletic. I agree completely that the only way to possibly beat Maryland is to slow them down offensively because no one is outscoring them 19-18. That is not happening. But I think this defense can slow down a lot of offenses as the season winds down. Clearly the best Hoya team under the Warne umbrella.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Lax3 wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:55 pm This Georgetown defense is downright nasty. They had one off game - against a very good Princeton team - but they are very talented and athletic. I agree completely that the only way to possibly beat Maryland is to slow them down offensively because no one is outscoring them 19-18. That is not happening. But I think this defense can slow down a lot of offenses as the season winds down. Clearly the best Hoya team under the Warne umbrella.
The defense didn’t have an off day against Princeton. They played pretty close to their average holding the potent Princeton offense (#2 in D1) well below their average. It was Princetons defense that won that game, playing well above their average.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Agree Rolldodge. It was a clunker. No offense in the least to Princeton who is a great team and was better that day. The defense was not the issue. It was just one of those days against a big time team and Hoyas played sloppy and with less intensity than usual. That happens and you lose, period. i do think with a healthy Haley this is a more formidable team. If the Hoyas are lucky enough to advance and play the Tigers again I like our chances.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:06 pm Agree Rolldodge. It was a clunker. No offense in the least to Princeton who is a great team and was better that day. The defense was not the issue. It was just one of those days against a big time team and Hoyas played sloppy and with less intensity than usual. That happens and you lose, period. i do think with a healthy Haley this is a more formidable team. If the Hoyas are lucky enough to advance and play the Tigers again I like our chances.
Any word on status of Haley and McElroy for tomorrow?
HGK

Post by HGK »

I believe both will be playing.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

HGK wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 12:56 pm I believe both will be playing.
I hope the Hoyas can use the next 4 regular season games to round Haley back in the mix on offense, and get some PT at midfield and FO for depth in the playoffs. Against top teams on a hot day in May teams need depth. GU has this at attack and defense, but may need a few more productive middles and a few reps at FO to give Reilly a breather.

Also would like to beat Nova to allow a top seed in the BE tourney.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

I thought Haley was starting to play extremely well leading up to missing the Providence game. Hopefully he can pick up where he left off.

I have a feeling the Loyola game Tuesday night is going to be a tough one.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

Georgetown is the one team that I wouldn’t want the Terps to face in the tournament. Balanced, reasonably deep, strong goaltender, good FO guy… no weaknesses. Watched the game against the Irish… man the Hoyas were impressive.

It’s interesting that the Hoyas lost to Princeton right after Maryland beat the Tigers. Princeton came into the Terps game ranked 19th, so the Gtown loss didn’t look as good as it does now.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

jrn19 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:17 pm Personally I do think there’s been a bit of resistance/pushback to the Hoyas from traditional media/fans of powerhouse teams/etc. They’re not an ACC or B1G team, haven’t been in the National picture for awhile prior to last few years. There’s some built in doubt I think that other teams usually get the benefit of the doubt on. They’re legit and a threat to win it all.

However, I think some of the muted coverage is also their schedule for the last few weeks and next few weeks doesn’t seem them really play anyone on their level. After the Princeton game, won’t play a Top 10 team till the tournament. Not their fault, but Denver being down and Loyola as their April OOC opponent being down as well means it’s a little light towards the end of the season. Makes them tougher to gauge relative to the Ivies or Maryland who has back to back last two weeks vs Top 10 teams.
Georgetown may not get the media or National coverage it so richly deserves but people who REALLY know the sport of Lacrosse know that the Hoyas are a scary good team with no real weaknesses. Though I am a big IVY rooter, I still have been rating GT #2 in my weekly poll just ahead of the the 3 great Ivy teams. Good luck the rest of the way and I would love to see a GT/Cornell matchup in the Dance.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
HGK

Post by HGK »

Nice to have McElroy and Haley back yesterday. Thought playing Haley up top when Marquette went to zone was great coaching. He is as lethal as a feeder there as behind. Great to see Hess get rolling as well. Transition was excellent. I still worry about the off ball defense. Too much talent for some of the layups we allow. Overall the boys played very hard against a team that has given Hoyas fits for years. To double them up despite an enormous amount of penalties was pretty impressive. Big one Tuesday!

Let’s go Hoyas!
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:34 pm I agree. It is rather unfortunate they aren’t on TV more.
They’re too busy showing Johns Hopkins games.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Not Hopkins or anyone else's fault the Big East has chosen Fox Sports and FloSports as their broadcast partners. League has by far the worst TV partnership of any major league
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Big test against Loyola on Tuesday. Mid week trap game against a team that the Hoyas historically struggle against. Let’s see how this team responds.
HGK

Post by HGK »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 4:22 pm Big test against Loyola on Tuesday. Mid week trap game against a team that the Hoyas historically struggle against. Let’s see how this team responds.
Exactly!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”