Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Boston College

Post by DMac »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:55 am
Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:15 am . Also, is it me if do refs pretty much let North do whatever she wants ?
yes...Especially Larry. She is a bull in the china shop...because of slides and doubles, she ends up charging alot. They just dont call it.
How many times did CN get called for a charge yesterday? Anyone have that number? One of the things that I pointed out to WITW and NJbill, is one of the times CN beat Trenchard and got crosse checked in her back and pushed into Brooklyn Walker-Welch. Three players are on the ground...and no call! WHAT? I don't care how many of you don't like CN, but Trenchard got "shook" and fouled CN in frustration. Too bad, but that foul should have been called and CN should have gotten an 8m Free.
She's no more of a "Bull in a China Shop" than any of the other Power players I have seen in this game over the years. Izzy Scane(NU) is a PP, Belle Mastropietro(Temple University) is a PP. It's a style of play and there's nothing wrong with it or illegal about it. Everyone can't play this style, but I named 2 people along with CN who do it well.
Agree with you here, Larry, I actually think it's rather commonplace with those who are hell bent on getting to the cage. Makes it very difficult for a person like me to figure out what is and isn't a charge.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:19 am
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:16 am
laxer12 wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:13 am
DMac wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:51 am EH has been called multiple times and I think the right calls too.
Pretty sure MT has been called at least once too. I've seen quite
a few charge calls this year. I think the diminutive bop bag, #15
Natalie Smith has been called for one too (that gal is on and off
the ground a lot in a game...tough little cookie).
lol when has Meaghan Tyrrell been called for a charge this season?
I don't know for certain that she has but I do think she has.
Sure could be wrong about that though.
I've watched every Cuse game this season (except the Virginia one obviously) and I can assure you she has not been called for an offensive charge. I can tell you that Megan Carney has though -- more than once. The most recent example being in the Florida game.
Okay, I'll buy that.
Laxfan500

Re: Charlotte North

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:46 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:04 am As DMac wrote recently, to paraphrase—the criticism toward Charlotte North on this board is so silly, (not to mention petty). I had a problem with North’s celebrations initially but after a while her talent and innovation and fire for the game overshadowed any minor objection I might have had to her celebrations.

Recent complaints about North:

Not that I’ve ever witnessed it, but she allegedly whines to the officials. If she does—yeah her and about a million other athletes who play sports. Oh, and to her credit, at least she’s no flopper if the calls don’t go her way.

She’s a one trick pony—all she does is score. We’ll ignore her draw controls and assists to say that.

She left Duke to come to Boston College to win a national championship. That one there is a real knee slapper. If she was really leaving Duke at the conclusion of the 2019 season for a sure thing, she would have gone to Maryland or North Carolina, not three time loser Boston College who had just graduated The Big Three along with 8 other mostly key players.

What else can she be criticized for? So folks don’t like her personality. Big deal. I don’t recall that hampering her or her teammates when they ran the gauntlet all the way to the top in 2021. Folks may not like Charlotte North for a number of things, but her on-field performance is about as pristine as it gets.

I agree with you. Still the best scorer in the game.
Suprised no one talking really about BC - Pitt game from yesterday. Starting goalie pulled from game and didn’t play??? …north 4/11 in shooting . 4th goal was late in 4th quarter. Tied at half and only up by 4 end of 3rd. From a first year program pretty good on Pitt.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:53 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:04 am As DMac wrote recently, to paraphrase—the criticism toward Charlotte North on this board is so silly, (not to mention petty). I had a problem with North’s celebrations initially but after a while her talent and innovation and fire for the game overshadowed any minor objection I might have had to her celebrations.

Not that I’ve ever witnessed it, but she allegedly whines to the officials. If she does—yeah her and about a million other athletes who play sports. Oh, and to her credit, at least she’s no flopper if the calls don’t go her way.

She’s a one trick pony—all she does is score. We’ll ignore her draw controls and assists to say that.

She left Duke to come to Boston College to win a national championship. That one there is a real knee slapper. If she was really leaving Duke at the conclusion of the 2019 season for a sure thing, she would have gone to Maryland or North Carolina, not three time loser Boston College who had just graduated The Big Three along with 8 other mostly key players.

What else can she be criticized for? So folks don’t like her personality. Big deal. I don’t recall that hampering her or her teammates when they ran the gauntlet all the way to the top in 2021. Folks may not like Charlotte North for a number of things, but her on-field performance is about as pristine as it gets.

Suprised no one talking really about BC - Pitt game from yesterday. Starting goalie pulled from game and didn’t play??? …north 4/11 in shooting . 4th goal was late in 4th quarter. Tied at half and only up by 4 end of 3rd. From a first year program pretty good on Pitt.
English started. Hall wasn’t pulled. I think it’s because there were so many other impactful games played yesterday that BC/Pitt kind of went under the radar.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:01 am

English started. Hall wasn’t pulled. I think it’s because there were so many other impactful games played yesterday that BC/Pitt kind of went under the radar.
I meant “pulled” from starting the game . I would think that’s a huge story as they are Natty Champs….
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Hall did not start but not sure why. Looks like BC got down 5-1 early - were losing after Q1 and tied at half. CN struggled against a zone defense as she often does and even had 5 TO's. Medjid and Smith were big contributors on offense.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:21 am Hall did not start but not sure why. Looks like BC got down 5-1 early - were losing after Q1 and tied at half. CN struggled against a zone defense as she often does and even had 5 TO's. Medjid and Smith were big contributors on offense.
Thanks for update. I wonder if other coaches watch game film to see why certain players get more affected by good D or if their egos don’t let them ..
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

why? it was a blowout - beat them by 7 goals (definition of blowout is 5+ goals) ...doesn't matter that it was tied at half! :D
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

In response to Laxfan500 - I know opposing coaches watch game film to see key players and their tendencies, study offensive and defensive sets and man down plays, etc but are they willing to fundamentally change what they do offensively and defensively because of the upcoming opponents strengths or weaknesses? I've never seen a coach do that. If a coach went back and watched the two Louisville games vs BC last year when they did an incredible job holding North to 1 goal in two games they would have a blue-print to stop her - but does that team have the ability to deploy a Louisville type zone in just a few days? No - they will run whatever defense they normally do with perhaps a few wrinkles and a face-guard and pray Charlotte has an off day and does not light them up for 6 goals. In my opinion, outside of a few exceptional coaches, coaching in D1 women's lax is mediocre at best.
OuttaNowhereWregget

In regards to BC's decision to start Emily English in goal, I think watcher summed it up well:
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 am Doubling down on the post season ... gotta have another option with some experience.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:45 pm In regards to BC's decision to start Emily English in goal, I think watcher summed it up well:
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:24 am Doubling down on the post season ... gotta have another option with some experience.
Yeah….I doubt that was why.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:45 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 2:45 pm In regards to BC's decision to start Emily English in goal, I think watcher summed it up well:
Yeah….I doubt that was why.
What are your thoughts?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

I know from a good source that RH not playing had nothing to do with her play and nothing to do with developing another option for this year. RH is the BC goalie this year and maybe next if we chooses to come back for a 5th year.
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Lax101 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:36 pm I know from a good source that RH not playing had nothing to do with her play and nothing to do with developing another option for this year. RH is the BC goalie this year and maybe next if we chooses to come back for a 5th year.
I heard that a group of players were suspended and I’m assuming given the above that RH may have been one of them? No idea on the accuracy of the source and who else involved though.

It will also be interesting to see if that is actually the situation and what that means for the Loyola game on Wednesday…
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

laxlaxlax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:13 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:36 pm I know from a good source that RH not playing had nothing to do with her play and nothing to do with developing another option for this year. RH is the BC goalie this year and maybe next if we chooses to come back for a 5th year.
I heard that a group of players were suspended and I’m assuming given the above that RH may have been one of them? No idea on the accuracy of the source and who else involved though.

It will also be interesting to see if that is actually the situation and what that means for the Loyola game on Wednesday…
You mean Dartmouth? I doubt much I’m sure their Ivy League domination with continue .
laxlaxlax

Post by laxlaxlax »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:22 pm
laxlaxlax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:13 pm

You mean Dartmouth? I doubt much I’m sure their Ivy League domination with continue .
Yes, oops I wasn’t concentrating clearly when I was typing. Given the result today against Brown and the comments on how Dartmouth were on the thread about them, I agree I don’t think they will cause too much trouble even if BC are missing players.
OuttaNowhereWregget

On Rachel Hall

Mr. Hall, if you read this, please know that I really enjoy watching your daughter play net. She has nice economy of movement and her pumped up demeanor after she makes a big save is inspiring. We had another famous Boston goaltender in town some 10 years ago by the name of Tim Thomas. He put the team on his back and won the Conn Smythe (most valuable player in playoffs) when the Bruins won their first Stanley Cup in almost 40 years. He was also said by some to have an "unorthodox technique". But when the chips were down that playoff run and the game was on the line, he came up big time after time. Good company.

OuttaNowhereWregget

Boston College honors seniors. Who's staying for '23?

Pictured l to r: Melanie Welch D Gr; Cassidy Weeks M Sr; Courtney Taylor D Gr; Rachel Hall G Sr; Caitlynn Mossman A Sr; Charlotte North A Gr; Courtney Weeks M (R)Sr; Jenn Medjid A Sr.

We know grads North, Welch and Taylor are gone after this season. Which seniors will stick around for a 5th year?

On another note, it seems the Eagles have forsaken their lacrosse field this season for the football stadium. The crowds have consistently been in the thousands. 3148 for ND; 1124 VT; 5937 NC. I imagine the game coming up vs Syracuse on the 22nd will also be attended by thousands. What do you BC fans think about the difference in venues? Have you been to both places? I have yet to attend a game at Alumni.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Does the older Hasselbeck see the field at all this year?
OuttaNowhereWregget

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 5:25 pm Does the older Hasselbeck see the field at all this year?
Precious little.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”