Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Typical Lax Dad

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

random observer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:37 pm One name that's gone unmentioned that absolutely shouldn't is Michael Leo out of St. Anthony's. He has been tearing it up so far this year. He dodges like a bull but has great shake and some box-style stick skills, and he has an absolute hammer of a shot from the left wing. I think he could start at lefty attack as a freshman and free up Dordevic to return to midfield (or alternatively I think he can be effective running out of the box if Cuse wants to keep Dordevic at attack).
Leo is supposed to be a good player. Where would you play Hiltz?
“I wish you would!”
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:25 am
random observer wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:37 pm One name that's gone unmentioned that absolutely shouldn't is Michael Leo out of St. Anthony's. He has been tearing it up so far this year. He dodges like a bull but has great shake and some box-style stick skills, and he has an absolute hammer of a shot from the left wing. I think he could start at lefty attack as a freshman and free up Dordevic to return to midfield (or alternatively I think he can be effective running out of the box if Cuse wants to keep Dordevic at attack).
Hiltz is a relay guy and finisher; therefore, Tucker goes back to midfield with Spallina and Leo as the ball carriers at attack…maybe not right away, though. We’ll see if the 2 freshman are ready for prime time right away. Berkman may be lost in the shuffle..
Powellfan22

Post by Powellfan22 »

Yes, Hiltz will almost certainly play the left handed attack spot next year. I thought I read somewhere that the SU staff saw Leo as a midfielder, but that could change. Syracuse will need help at that position next year for sure. I am surprised Leo doesn't get mentioned as much as some of the other top recruits, he's putting up a lot of points for a good Saint Anthony's team (certainly not a low profile program).
random observer

Post by random observer »

I'd just play two lefties down at attack. Both probably prefer the left wing spot, but it would be no different with Dordevic at attack next year. I'd think both are capable of playing either spot and with a free flowing motion offense they'd both get plenty of opportunities to attack from different parts of the field. I'd have Leo on the point on fast breaks with his shot, with Hiltz down low for his in tight finishing and ability to quickly pass back up top on 5-on-4 breaks.
Typical Lax Dad

random observer wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:25 am
I'd just play two lefties down at attack. Both probably prefer the left wing spot, but it would be no different with Dordevic at attack next year. I'd think both are capable of playing either spot and with a free flowing motion offense they'd both get plenty of opportunities to attack from different parts of the field. I'd have Leo on the point on fast breaks with his shot, with Hiltz down low for his in tight finishing and ability to quickly pass back up top on 5-on-4 breaks.
Thanks. I hope Hiltz is fully recovered. Haven’t laid eyes on Leo but hope to.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

Powellfan22 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:05 am
Yes, Hiltz will almost certainly play the left handed attack spot next year. I thought I read somewhere that the SU staff saw Leo as a midfielder, but that could change. Syracuse will need help at that position next year for sure. I am surprised Leo doesn't get mentioned as much as some of the other top recruits, he's putting up a lot of points for a good Saint Anthony's team (certainly not a low profile program).
Not being mentioned is probably a good thing! Thanks
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

FMUBart wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:02 am
Hiltz is a relay guy and finisher; therefore, Tucker goes back to midfield with Spallina and Leo as the ball carriers at attack…maybe not right away, though. We’ll see if the 2 freshman are ready for prime time right away. Berkman may be lost in the shuffle..
Yale has two young guys producing. I had question marks about Yale this Spring. A lot of first time players are producing.
“I wish you would!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I like the potential coming in or in the case of Hiltz, back next
year.
I suspect those offensive players are more in line with what
Gait has in mind.
I’d add also, Finlay Thomson, he’s one of the top Canadians out
of Edge Lacrosse, Thomson and Matt Collison who is going to
Hopkins.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Powellfan22 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:35 pm
molo wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:38 pm Spallina is a lefty, correct? If so, I guess he plays behind with Hiltz on the left and Dordevic on the right instead of logging so much time on the left side.
I think he’s a righty, but either way you’re right and I imagine he’ll be behind the goal. Dordevic not only moving to attack but having to take over for Hiltz with his non dominant hand is pretty commendable.
It puzzles me when the best offensive player on the team, a man with almost 40 goals, receives the bulk of the criticism after a loss. I sense in this scapegoating the deep disappointment in the whole team expressed towards the player from whom posters expected near miracles, who delivers game after game his very best effort. He is exhausted. He lacks his usual smooth speed toward the middle of the field. He looks like he is carrying the weight of expectations. Let's enjoy this kid for the rest of the season and hope to welcome him with open arms next season.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

Leo is supposed to be a good player. Where would you play Hiltz

Leo is a strong, clever leftie with a cannon shot. He could start at SU as one of the six offensive players right now. St. Anthony's is full of top 50 D1 players, not one or two but a dozen and Leo stands out on the field. He can play any of the six positions, score inside and outside and pass like Hiltz.
Can't wait to see him next season.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Fascinating that no one on this thread has posted about the Cornell game last night. Those homers have filled at least three pages so far on that game alone. Only Hopkins has more crazies.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

Comeonman wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:44 pm Fascinating that no one on this thread has posted about the Cornell game last night. Those homers have filled at least three pages so far on that game alone. Only Hopkins has more crazies.
Outside of a couple people there's not much conversation on here these days but if you head over to Syracusefan.com there's plenty of talk about last night and every game.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Got it. Thanks.
Comeonman

Post by Comeonman »

Got it. Thanks.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

As a non-Syracuse fan, I’ve watched a fair amount of them this year (against the Terps, Cornell, Notre Dame, Virginia, Army) - is Pietramala essentially the head coach this year? The camera always focuses on him on the Syracuse sideline (not Gait), and at least in the later games he seems much more active in terms of coaching in the huddle.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

The camera focuses on Petro because he actually moves and has facial expressions.

This was posted on the Cornell game thread at syracusefan.com and got a bunch of likes:

gait.jpg
gait.jpg (220.45 KiB) Viewed 925 times
https://syracusefan.com/threads/cornell ... st-4237887
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

CU77 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 12:19 am The camera focuses on Petro because he actually moves and has facial expressions.

This was posted on the Cornell game thread at syracusefan.com and got a bunch of likes:

gait.jpg

https://syracusefan.com/threads/cornell ... st-4237887
That's Gary's style, I don't know why for the life of me people are taking issue with it. Was the same with the Women's team if you watched any of their games. Just because he has an assistant who is the polar opposite of him and they are having a down year that many expected, doesn't necessarily mean he's disinterested.

Joe
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

I think it’s more the fact that Petro apparently calls the timeouts, which no assistant in the country does, and that he’s the one in the huddles and who appears to be running the box. Gait never appears to actually be doing any coaching on the sideline.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:02 am I think it’s more the fact that Petro apparently calls the timeouts, which no assistant in the country does, and that he’s the one in the huddles and who appears to be running the box. Gait never appears to actually be doing any coaching on the sideline.
I see your point, from watching the girls games it always seemed if he was more hands-off on the field.

Joe
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jrn19 wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:02 am I think it’s more the fact that Petro apparently calls the timeouts, which no assistant in the country does, and that he’s the one in the huddles and who appears to be running the box. Gait never appears to actually be doing any coaching on the sideline.
Gait not calling the timeouts is wild, I've never seen a head coach who delegates those duties before

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”