Transfer Portal 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
backerzone

Re: Transfer Portal 2023

Post by backerzone »

bar_down wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:49 pm Was told by a current St Bonnaventure player that I coached that Dobson is going to be at Duke next year. Makes sense as they have to replace Adler and arguably Dobson is the best goalie in D1 right now.
he may be the best goalie in his conference- as was Adler- but Adler was below 50% in ACC and NCAA play last year and UNC game aside has not set the world on fire this year- be careful who you say the best D1 goalie is. It's a specialized position- dependent on many things- Look at Kirst at Rutgers- 4th string at Lehigh- all big 10 at Rutgers. Krieg at UNC was ranked #1 coming in and he's barely at 50%- Krebs at Manhattan was 3rd string in high school- yet many think he's a top D1 goalie. So many things play into it.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

backerzone wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:31 pm
bar_down wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 4:49 pm Was told by a current St Bonnaventure player that I coached that Dobson is going to be at Duke next year. Makes sense as they have to replace Adler and arguably Dobson is the best goalie in D1 right now.
he may be the best goalie in his conference- as was Adler- but Adler was below 50% in ACC and NCAA play last year and UNC game aside has not set the world on fire this year- be careful who you say the best D1 goalie is. It's a specialized position- dependent on many things- Look at Kirst at Rutgers- 4th string at Lehigh- all big 10 at Rutgers. Krieg at UNC was ranked #1 coming in and he's barely at 50%- Krebs at Manhattan was 3rd string in high school- yet many think he's a top D1 goalie. So many things play into it.
Adler had 17 saves against UNC, 16 saves against UVA,
15 saves against Richmond, all pretty big wins,
and Adler got Duke to a Final Four, not too bad.
No reason to think Dobson can’t step right into
Adler’s shoes.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:16 pm I mean, not like they were recruiting and developing good goalies before this. since 2010 they had like 2 seasons where their starting goalie saved above 50% in a season. never been a strength of theirs.
True. I do wonder what the effects of the shot clock have on this approach. I don't have any data (may be too early to tell), but I wonder if the shot clock has/will increase the importance of a top goalie (more shots, more transition).

The transfer glut runs out in 2024 and by then Duke won't have developed a goalie for 3 or 4 recruiting cycles.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:08 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:16 pm I mean, not like they were recruiting and developing good goalies before this. since 2010 they had like 2 seasons where their starting goalie saved above 50% in a season. never been a strength of theirs.
True. I do wonder what the effects of the shot clock have on this approach. I don't have any data (may be too early to tell), but I wonder if the shot clock has/will increase the importance of a top goalie (more shots, more transition).

The transfer glut runs out in 2024 and by then Duke won't have developed a goalie for 3 or 4 recruiting cycles.
2010 Duke won the NCAA's while starting one goalie in the first round and different goalie in the Semi's. That year one had a season save % of 44.4 % and the other had a 50.8%.

2013 when they won again the goalie that started the finals had a 49.8 % for the year and the starting goalie from the 2010 championship season who started 6 games in 2013 had a 42.5 %.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

jersey shore lax wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:28 pm
rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:08 pm

2010 Duke won the NCAA's while starting one goalie in the first round and different goalie in the Semi's. That year one had a season save % of 44.4 % and the other had a 50.8%.

2013 when they won again the goalie that started the finals had a 49.8 % for the year and the starting goalie from the 2010 championship season who started 6 games in 2013 had a 42.5 %.
Yeah, not disputing that they have been able to win in the past with this strategy. Just wondering if its sustainable going forward and how the shotclock might change things. The fact that they are going to the transfer portal for goaltenders might suggest they also think its not a sustainable strategy for today's game -- but then what effect might the transfer strategy have long term is the question.

Post by 1766 »

The problem is it works. The portal is recruiting. Why would Duke develop a goalie when they can go into the portal and get a proven one from a mid major or elsewhere? It isn't sustainable but for now, it works. Duke seems to have issues that aren't related to the goalie spot. Defense and team offense come to mind from games I have seen.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

1766 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:38 pm The problem is it works. The portal is recruiting. Why would Duke develop a goalie when they can go into the portal and get a proven one from a mid major or elsewhere? It isn't sustainable but for now, it works. Duke seems to have issues that aren't related to the goalie spot. Defense and team offense come to mind from games I have seen.
I’d argue it’s a bit of a more risky strategy to employ for the goalie position than other positions. A midfielder,defense, or attack transfer takes up 1 spot out of many in competing with recruited players. There’s only one spot for a goalie, which is already very competitive between recruited players. Throw in a 5th year transfer each year who is probably going to get first shot at that spot and that’s going to kill your recruiting for that spot in a way that it won’t for other positions. In addition, as a leader, the goalie needs to develop a strong rapport with his defense which takes time. Maybe it won’t have an impact, but definitely a risk.
Last edited by rolldodge on Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1766 »

Maybe. The flip side works too. If you have a few guys who you know aren't up to par it buys you another year to go out and recruit someone who might be, while getting some level of guaranteed play. At least as guaranteed as you can in sports.

Duke probably doesn't worry too much about snagging a good one from a mid major. I'm guessing they feel they can get that player whenever they want.

Goalie and fogos seem like the most crapshoot positions in all of lacrosse to predict. Given how specialized they are, if you can get a proven one from the college ranks, like Duke is very capable of doing, it seems like a safe strategy. At least for now.
Tonyp2566

Post by Tonyp2566 »

Laxbuck wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:20 pm
have heard the same
I wouldn’t put this in stone. There’s several variables going into his decision. 4-5 options he’s debating
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Tonyp2566 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:43 pm
have heard the same
I wouldn’t put this in stone. There’s several variables going into his decision. 4-5 options he’s debating
is hopkins one of them

please say yes
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Nope.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Tonyp2566 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:43 pm
have heard the same
Its just,
Duke seems so obvious.
ND, UVA, MD, G-town,
they’re all set at goal,

Plus Duke has those 1 year post grad programs
and, Duke is in NC.
FlyEaglesFly

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

Is Gtown set? McElroy graduates - and the freshman Scharfenberger has done a solid job. Not sure about set in stone though with only a 3 game sample size.
Neverplaydown

Post by Neverplaydown »

Not a fan of the poach and not develop teams. You would think Teams like Duke and the maybe the greatest coach of all time could recruit a stud goalie. Current kid is good , but not outstanding. A good coach at any level develops not replaces.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Neverplaydown wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:51 pm Not a fan of the poach and not develop teams. You would think Teams like Duke and the maybe the greatest coach of all time could recruit a stud goalie. Current kid is good , but not outstanding. A good coach at any level develops not replaces.
Greatest coach of all time? Danowski? This could spark a fun debate…
MaxPen

Post by MaxPen »

FlyEaglesFly wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:36 pm Is Gtown set? McElroy graduates - and the freshman Scharfenberger has done a solid job. Not sure about set in stone though with only a 3 game sample size.
Maybe G-town goes after goalie from Dartmouth who is in transfer portal?
DocBarrister

Any Takers for Joey Epstein?

Post by DocBarrister »

Greetings y’all.

I have taken it upon myself to act as Joey Epstein’s officially unofficial representative in the free agent market.

Former Number One Recruit with a year of eligibility left. Scored 73 points in 2019. Looking for a team with which he can win a national championship. Will work for food and lodging. Currently the leading career scorer on the Johns Hopkins lacrosse team. Good leadership skills. Knows how to put up with a lot of bullsh*t. Tolerates cats.

Any takers?

DocBarrister ;)
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

so unbelievably weird
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:37 pm so unbelievably weird
You’re projecting … again.

DocBarrister :P
@DocBarrister
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

InsiderRoll wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:32 am
Neverplaydown wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:51 pm Not a fan of the poach and not develop teams. You would think Teams like Duke and the maybe the greatest coach of all time could recruit a stud goalie. Current kid is good , but not outstanding. A good coach at any level develops not replaces.
Greatest coach of all time? Danowski? This could spark a fun debate…

I’m a Hounds fan and love Charlie of course, but anyone not looking at Tillman is crazy. The guy runs such a great program and those kids are always in the hunt.

He’s still young with many years ahead, but if I had to choose, Tillman would get my vote.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”