Beef with the polls

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Beef with the polls

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

LarryGamLax

Post by LarryGamLax »

Someone please explain to me(with real sense) why a 5-8 team is in the top 15? Seriously?? I don't care what their name is.
Why is a 7-7 team in the top 20??

Coaches need to stop rewarding names and pasts and vote on present day merits. It's insulting to do otherwise.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

LarryGamLax wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 11:00 am Someone please explain to me(with real sense) why a 5-8 team is in the top 15? Seriously?? I don't care what their name is.
Why is a 7-7 team in the top 20??

Coaches need to stop rewarding names and pasts and vote on present day merits. It's insulting to do otherwise.
+1
Dasher

Post by Dasher »

I posted this on another thread but what about this?

NOTHING TO SEE HERE- Am I the only one who noticed ND added the 4/5 Detroit Mercy game to their schedule? Wasn't on their original schedule unveiled in December. That theoretically will get them to 8-8 if they win out. Seems sketchy IMHO. Only Tuesday game their entire season, and in between NC and BC?
2022 Notre Dame Women’s Lacrosse Schedule

All Times ET

Friday, Feb. 11 – vs. Central Michigan

Sunday, Feb. 13 – vs. Michigan

Saturday, Feb. 19 – at Vanderbilt

Wednesday, Feb. 23 – vs. Northwestern

Saturday, Feb. 26 – vs. Syracuse

Saturday, March 6 – vs. Virginia

Thursday, March 10 – at Virginia Tech

Sunday, March 13 – vs. Jacksonville

Sunday, March 20 – vs. Yale

Sunday, March 27 – vs. Duke

Saturday, April 2 – at North Carolina
??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
Saturday, April 9 – at Boston College

Saturday, April 16 – vs. Pittsburgh

Monday, April 18 – at Marquette

Saturday, April 23 – at Louisville
Brownlax

Re: Coaches poll

Post by Brownlax »

Having watched MD play a few times recently, I think they may be under-ranked at #8. They are playing some real good lacrosse right now and certain players are really stepping up.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

Brownlax wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:37 am
Having watched MD play a few times recently, I think they may be under-ranked at #8. They are playing some real good lacrosse right now and certain players are really stepping up.
Agreed
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Yes, I have them at No. 7, and wonder if I have them too low as well. The problem is competition: they've played three teams of any consequence, and they are 2-1 (Florida, still a good win, I think; JMU, a convincing loss at home; and Princeton, a team that I think might, after the Terps 10 goal pounding, not be so good after all). Northwestern on Saturday will tell us a lot about this model of the Terp-de-Ville. Terps will be at home, on the Weird Field, and will need to be very efficient on offense and do everything they can to deny NU -- Gilbert -- the ball.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:36 am
Yes, I have them at No. 7, and wonder if I have them too low as well. The problem is competition: they've played three teams of any consequence, and they are 2-1 (Florida, still a good win, I think; JMU, a convincing loss at home; and Princeton, a team that I think might, after the Terps 10 goal pounding, not be so good after all). Northwestern on Saturday will tell us a lot about this model of the Terp-de-Ville. Terps will be at home, on the Weird Field, and will need to be very efficient on offense and do everything they can to deny NU -- Gilbert -- the ball.

I agree. I think to play with NU you need to be incredibly disciplined and not try and match their pace and frantic level of energy that they play at. Initially, I thought NU's pace and frenetic energy was almost entirely due to youth and lack of discipline - but I think there is an element of intention behind it as well. It is easy for teams to get caught trying to keep up with NU which takes them out of their own game plan. Luckily, regardless of their record, discipline is something Maryland has always had in spades.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

To your point, which I agree with. This will make draw controls and caused turnovers very important. Harder to dictate pace without the ball. So my question is, who has the advantage in the circle? I have only watched these teams play 1 time each. And can NU stay out of the sin bin if scrambling to get the ball?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

tothedraw wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:40 pm To your point, which I agree with. This will make draw controls and caused turnovers very important. Harder to dictate pace without the ball. So my question is, who has the advantage in the circle? I have only watched these teams play 1 time each. And can NU stay out of the sin bin if scrambling to get the ball?

Just looking at the draw circle alone - I think Girardi and Ahearn could be a good battle but I'd give the slight edge to Girardi. Yes Ahearn has the height advantage by about 4 inches but that hasn't stopped Girardi before. Assuming Bosco and Gilbert match up on the circle - I think Bosco is very good but it's hard for anyone to match Gilbert's speed if there is a 50/50 gb off the draw.

I think it depends - if NU has the advantage on the draw but also has more TO's, takes poor quality shots/"shoots just to shoot", gets into foul trouble, and is more careless with the ball, I think the two pretty much cancel each other out if Maryland takes advantage of their chances.

I haven't watched both of these teams play as much as I have seen others either, so I'd take this with a grain of salt
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

Thanks! I don't think MD has anyone (who plays) that can match Gilbert's speed but also think MD is a more disciplined team defensively - when it comes to fouling. This may draw some ire but hoping those Terps take down the Evil Empire 😂
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

tothedraw wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:40 pm To your point, which I agree with. This will make draw controls and caused turnovers very important. Harder to dictate pace without the ball. So my question is, who has the advantage in the circle? I have only watched these teams play 1 time each. And can NU stay out of the sin bin if scrambling to get the ball?
Offense - advantage NW
Defense - advantage Mary
Goalie - advantage Mary
Draw - advantage NW
Field - advantage Mary
Coaching - advantage Mary

Divide by 9.81, carry the 3 ... advantage Mary
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
@inthe8m

Post by @inthe8m »

tothedraw wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:17 pm Thanks! I don't think MD has anyone (who plays) that can match Gilbert's speed but also think MD is a more disciplined team defensively - when it comes to fouling. This may draw some ire but hoping those Terps take down the Evil Empire 😂
Did you mean "Pre-Shot Clock Evil Empire"?
Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself.
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

@inthe8m wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:29 pm
tothedraw wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:17 pm Thanks! I don't think MD has anyone (who plays) that can match Gilbert's speed but also think MD is a more disciplined team defensively - when it comes to fouling. This may draw some ire but hoping those Terps take down the Evil Empire 😂
Did you mean "Pre-Shot Clock Evil Empire"?
Ha! Regardless of any rule change they will always be the EE in my book especially when playing MD.
laxagainsthumanity

Post by laxagainsthumanity »

I think MD's defense negates NU's advantage on the draws. Their handful of common opponents have consistently scored nearly 2x as many goals on NU as they have on MD. Meanwhile MD is scoring 75-90% as many goals against those same teams as NU. NU deserves to be ranked ahead of MD right now based on their schedule, but I actually give the edge in this one to MD, especially with it being in College Park. But if one team can dictate the pace, I think they win, no matter who it is. Neither can beat the other at their own game.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:58 pm I think MD's defense negates NU's advantage on the draws. Their handful of common opponents have consistently scored nearly 2x as many goals on NU as they have on MD. Meanwhile MD is scoring 75-90% as many goals against those same teams as NU. NU deserves to be ranked ahead of MD right now based on their schedule, but I actually give the edge in this one to MD, especially with it being in College Park. But if one team can dictate the pace, I think they win, no matter who it is. Neither can beat the other at their own game.
Interesting; thanks for this. I hadn't looked at this as closely as you do.

On just the draw, I think the draw-takers and circle players slightly favors NU; Gilbert's speed off the line is hard to match, and Girardi is a very tough, very physical kid. Much as I like and have been impressed with Bosco, I think this is advantage NU. I'll start a game thread for this one.
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:17 pm
laxagainsthumanity wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:58 pm I think MD's defense negates NU's advantage on the draws. Their handful of common opponents have consistently scored nearly 2x as many goals on NU as they have on MD. Meanwhile MD is scoring 75-90% as many goals against those same teams as NU. NU deserves to be ranked ahead of MD right now based on their schedule, but I actually give the edge in this one to MD, especially with it being in College Park. But if one team can dictate the pace, I think they win, no matter who it is. Neither can beat the other at their own game.
Interesting; thanks for this. I hadn't looked at this as closely as you do.

On just the draw, I think the draw-takers and circle players slightly favors NU; Gilbert's speed off the line is hard to match, and Girardi is a very tough, very physical kid. Much as I like and have been impressed with Bosco, I think this is advantage NU. I'll start a game thread for this one.
my thoughts as well

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”