Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
RopeUnit

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by RopeUnit »

Harvard is formidable, but young. They looked pretty strong against BU. Not great vs Brown but a huge discrepancy in goalie play was enough to steal that win. If there is an upset, I could see it in a rivalry game vs Yale.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Ivyman wrote: Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:50 am
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:18 pm
Gobigred wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:09 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:49 pm
Mr3Putt wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:57 pm Can we put to bed the Harvard hype ?
Or can we concede that Cornell is a great, not good, but great team and can challenge for a NC?
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
No, haven't seen convincing evidence of that.
What do you still need.?
They just obliterated everyone's hot new team with major injuries which everyone has conceded.
They said one of our weaknesses was FO. PETRAKIS was dominant today. Our defense and goalie have been solid all year. Piatelli, long, and Kirst are arguably the best attack in the country. Adler is a shut down defender and Bardwell and Bartalloto are arguably the best SSDM combo in the country, and Chayse is consistently solid.
Sorry, after today's performance, I have them as one of the major players to contend for the NC.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Love your enthusiasm Joe, but I agree with GOBIGRED. I thought Harvard was hugely over rated and over hyped (largely by their own social media) from the start. The Ivy schedule is the same every year so Harvard, as opposed to Y, C, and Pn get the currently weaker teams first, and out of conference aside from tOSU was soft. They will lose the next three.

Cornell needs the faceoff unit to be consistent against better teams. Even after yesterday C is #57, H is 60 in the NCAA. We have too many uncaused turnovers, and better teams give us a lot of trouble getting the ball inside. Our save percentage is third worst in the league. And we're not deep in the midfield.

Princeton will tell the story.

IF we get past Brown.
Iman,
Can't argue with all your great points, but after, let's just say a tough road trip with a few less than Cornell like performances, they still sucked it up and survived, and then we're able to show everyone that those games were behind them, and then put up their best, most dominating performance , certainly this year and possibly the last few years.
Things that had been somewhat of a concern, were no problem yesterday, and in fact some turned into strengths.
When this team possesses the ball, doesn't commit turnovers and play the solid D they always play, they are downright scary, and would match them up against any D1 team.
Look, 9-1, 3-1 after 2 years off, a NEW coaching staff, and multiple big time injuries, this team has been incredible to root for this year, and now appears that they may be peaking at the right time.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

BU is overrated, too. Crushed by Yale and unable to do anything against Princeton's defense. No really good wins.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Faircornell's predictive watch list was spot-on: yale's Brandau POW and Cornell''s Kirst ROW. https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/4/11/ya ... wards.aspx

First two weeks of Ivy conference play: all home wins
Following two weeks of IL play: one home win, two away wins.

Cornell has the bye week: at Syracuse tonight, Army Saturday. Also Saturday: Yale at Brown; Dartmouth at Princeton and Harvard at Penn; I'll say two home wins and one away win.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:03 pm Faircornell's predictive watch list was spot-on: yale's Brandau POW and Cornell''s Kirst ROW. https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/4/11/ya ... wards.aspx

First two weeks of Ivy conference play: all home wins
Following two weeks of IL play: one home win, two away wins.

Cornell has the bye week: at Syracuse tonight, Army Saturday. Also Saturday: Yale at Brown; Dartmouth at Princeton and Harvard at Penn; I'll say two home wins and one away win.
Congratulations to both players. Well deserved. I believe Brandau may be #2 now in Tewy favorites, behind only Wisnauskis and just ahead of Gray.

I also believe that this is Kirsts 3rd IVY ROW, leading all Ivy Rookies. He sure doesn't play like a rookie, and as I said, best ground ball attackmen I have seen in years.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

If BigRed win out they host. It's alway better to host, but this year with the power displayed in the conference it's a double plus good to be in friendly surroundings.
And the league office comes in for (usually deserved) criticism, but props to them for coming to the right decision. The regular season should be about more than what color the IL tourney teams get to wear.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm If BigRed win out they host. It's alway better to host, but this year with the power displayed in the conference it's a double plus good to be in friendly surroundings.
And the league office comes in for (usually deserved) criticism, but props to them for coming to the right decision. The regular season should be about more than what color the IL tourney teams get to wear.
Will anyone make it up to Ithaca for the tournament if Cornell hosts? They have really struggled with attendance this year and it could be a very low key environment. I think Cornell is like 43rd in the nation in average attendance with only ~400 per game. Was shocked to read in Quint's column today that only 385 people attended Saturday's key conference matchup against Harvard. Was far from the only venue with cold and wet conditions last weekend.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Prior week was Spring Break, students were mostly not back on campus yet on Saturday.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:25 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:18 pm If BigRed win out they host. It's alway better to host, but this year with the power displayed in the conference it's a double plus good to be in friendly surroundings.
Will anyone make it up to Ithaca for the tournament if Cornell hosts? They have really struggled with attendance this year and it could be a very low key environment. I think Cornell is like 43rd in the nation in average attendance with only ~400 per game. Was shocked to read in Quint's column today that only 385 people attended Saturday's key conference matchup against Harvard. Was far from the only venue with cold and wet conditions last weekend.
The early season games were ridiculously cold and there were still restrictions on public gatherings. I think only family and certain advance ticket sales were permitted. The Yale game, which was a beautiful day, and was after Covid restrictions were lifted, was well attended. Cornell's spring break ended today, so campus was empty this weekend. Q's lifelong digs at Cornell are tiresome and petty. I guess it's tough for him to see his alma mater settle in as a perennial middle of the pack D1 program.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Chousnake wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:46 pm
The early season games were ridiculously cold and there were still restrictions on public gatherings. I think only family and certain advance ticket sales were permitted. The Yale game, which was a beautiful day, and was after Covid restrictions were lifted, was well attended. Cornell's spring break ended today, so campus was empty this weekend. Q's lifelong digs at Cornell are tiresome and petty. I guess it's tough for him to see his alma mater settle in as a perennial middle of the pack D1 program.
Only 468 in attendance for the Yale game per Cornell's official box score

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... core/50687
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Ithaca's population is about 31,000. The nearest places with lax playing suburbs are Binghamton, Syracuse and Rochester. All are over an hours' drive on country roads (more or less). There aren't the lax playing suburbs that surround Boston, New Haven, Philadelphia or Princeton.

It's really too bad that games are not better attended. Those that do show up are truly die hards.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:48 pm
Chousnake wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 5:46 pm
Only 468 in attendance for the Yale game per Cornell's official box score

https://cornellbigred.com/sports/mens-l ... core/50687
Well, I was at the Yale game and I saw the empty stands for the Harvard game on the webcast. There was no comparison to the size of the crowd on 3/18 as opposed to Saturday. Something is off in the attendance count for Yale. Besides, why does that warrant a mention in a weekly article/ranking with 1-2 paragraphs per team? What is the point other than to make a dig? Regardless, going to a game in Ithaca requires a bit more planning than "hey - let's go to the lax game." Ithaca is not Baltimore. If JHU was in Ithaca and Cornell in Baltimore, how do you think respective attendance would look? It was a gratuitous and needless comment by a man who clearly has no love for Cornell (for whatever reason).
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:01 pm Ithaca's population is about 31,000.
Though I'm pretty sure there's a university or two nearby that add a wee bit to that population.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:28 pm
faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:01 pm Ithaca's population is about 31,000.
Though I'm pretty sure there's a university or two nearby that add a wee bit to that population.
One wonders how many fingers it would take to count the number of Ithaca College students who attend Cornell lacrosse games, and vice versa.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Yes. Students at IC and Cornell basically double the population.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

I really don't care what QK says about the Kopf and Ithaca, if Cornell finishes 1st and hosts. If this happens, tell Quint that we will have a great time here in Ithaca while he spends time in front of his computer writing garbage about Cornell and Ithaca. If he does by some miracle make it to our great town, and tries to make a reservation at our incredible restaurant, the BOAT YARD GRILL, that they tell him "Sorry Quint, we are all full but the McDonald's on The Elmira road has plenty of room.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:40 pm I really don't care what QK says about the Kopf and Ithaca. If Cornell finishes 1st and hosts. If this happens, tell Quint that we will have a great time here in Ithaca while he spends time in front of his computer writing garbage about Cornell and Ithaca. If he does by some miracle make it to our great town, and tries to make a reservation at our incredible restaurant, the BOAT YARD GRILL, that they tell him "Sorry Quint, we are all full but the McDonald's on The Elmira road has plenty of room.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I have the impression that he's trying to get attention for himself on his new platform.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Gobigred wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:33 pm
One wonders how many fingers it would take to count the number of Ithaca College students who attend Cornell lacrosse games, and vice versa.
I was referring to Cornell's population, too.
lorin

Post by lorin »

faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:45 pm
joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:40 pm I really don't care what QK says about the Kopf and Ithaca. If Cornell finishes 1st and hosts. If this happens, tell Quint that we will have a great time here in Ithaca while he spends time in front of his computer writing garbage about Cornell and Ithaca. If he does by some miracle make it to our great town, and tries to make a reservation at our incredible restaurant, the BOAT YARD GRILL, that they tell him "Sorry Quint, we are all full but the McDonald's on The Elmira road has plenty of room.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I have the impression that he's trying to get attention for himself on his new platform.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

faircornell wrote: Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:45 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Unprofessional to take shots at a community and great institution with one of the best Lax programs in the country. We proudly support our institution and our wonderful lax team, and QK and any of his immature shots against us will only make us a stronger community, especially the Cornell Lax community.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”