D1 Mens Lacrosse
primitiveskills

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by primitiveskills »

Petro's complete confusion defense on full display in Albany tonight
courtdog

Post by courtdog »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:30 pm Petro's complete confusion defense on full display in Albany tonight
Defense did not lose Syracuse that game. Syracuse offense LOSES them more games consistently than their defense. They have no structure, no rhyme or reason to anything they do. They are completely careless with the ball. Its like they don't have a game plan at all for any defense they face, uncoached. Just roll it out.....
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

courtdog wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:46 am
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:30 pm Petro's complete confusion defense on full display in Albany tonight
Defense did not lose Syracuse that game. Syracuse offense LOSES them more games consistently than their defense. They have no structure, no rhyme or reason to anything they do. They are completely careless with the ball. Its like they don't have a game plan at all for any defense they face, uncoached. Just roll it out.....
Didn't watch last night so can't comment on that but on the whole this season, Cuse's offense has been much better than its defense. 25th in adjusted offensive efficiency vs. 58th in defense.

Meanwhile, Hopkins is 16th in adjusted defensive efficiency this season. Would have to look it up but I remember it being in the 50s — near where Cuse's is now — in 2020 when Petro left.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Which coach runs the box? 5 offsides for an entire season, is acceptable. One game ? Just stupid.

If you are NOT gonna push the tempo of play anyway, why push the risk reward subsitution game, if you're not gonna take advantage of "advantage", scoring in the preferred "uneven" offensive play, no different than settled offense.

Albany score off of any of those offsides, change of possession, possessions?

all that matters is RPI........winning means nothing.

What is gonna happen when Hopkins "upsets" the Terps in a few ?
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:31 am

Actually, 25% of the RPI calculation is the team's winning percentage. RPI = .25(Win%) + .5(OppWin%) + .25(OppOppWin%)

Plus you have to be at 50% on the season without the AQ.

If Tillman starts his second string....maybe....
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:36 am
runrussellrun wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:31 am

Actually, 25% of the RPI calculation is the team's winning percentage. RPI = .25(Win%) + .5(OppWin%) + .25(OppOppWin%)

Plus you have to be at 50% on the season without the AQ.

If Tillman starts his second string....maybe....
dude........seriously :lol: :lol: Again, this place needs "member" bios. Certainly "talking points". For instance.

I.....strongly believe that:

A. the current RPI is flawed ( has anyone ever offered a potentially more realistic formula ;)

B. RPI for WINS only. meaning ,whatever formula used, you can only input wins. For Hopkins, you think this way changes their RPI "ranking" in any way

also, any discussion on n$aa selection is silly.....the committee can do whatever they want. Invite whomever they want. Didn't brand new Furman become n$aa eliglbe, and the league it joined, in year one ? Merrimack , Michigan, Cleveland St, Bonnie, Bryant etc. got to play year one , too ;)

dude, litterally the ONLY thing I haven't done regarding the game of lacrosse, (will I get into trouble if I say the binary, mens/women's game ) is make the actual lacrosse net, or netting. Have a surger to actually stich them together...but have welded the pipes and the cool net attachment rail.

Is that how Air Force got into the first n$aa tournament when Nixon was POTUSA ? Rpi ;) :lol:
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:17 am
Didn't watch last night so can't comment on that but on the whole this season, Cuse's offense has been much better than its defense. 25th in adjusted offensive efficiency vs. 58th in defense.

Meanwhile, Hopkins is 16th in adjusted defensive efficiency this season. Would have to look it up but I remember it being in the 50s — near where Cuse's is now — in 2020 when Petro left.
Blue Jays have 38 CTs in the past four games.

Even Petro has ramped up the pressure with the Syracuse D.

Both Koesterer and Petro in the midst of transforming their respective defenses, with Koesterer having had an additional year. Neither defense is a finished product, but I have generally liked the direction in which the Blue Jays are moving.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
primitiveskills

I don't know. Several Albany goals last night gave this Hop fan a sense of PTSD. Ill-timed slides, headless chicken recoveries, etc.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

31% off. eff is Albany's best offensive game of the year behind only last week vs UMass Lowell. D maybe didn't lose them the game but it has been bad all year, and Petro's defenses last two year at Hopkins were not good
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'm not one of the people who thinks Petro "forgot" how to coach defense or that the game has completely passed him by, but it's pretty clear to me the defense has improved under Koesterer. To me that means K is a good coach, not that Petro is suddenly a bad one. Tough to argue with going from #50-something to #16 in adjusted D efficiency in 1.5 seasons. Eye test corroborates the stats IMO — while the D is still prone to lapses they look a lot more organized, slides and recoveries are timed better, etc. Unless you think Scott Smith is singlehandedly responsible for all of that then at least some of that improvement has to do with coaching/philosophy/player development changes.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:17 am

I think the defensive numbers would be higher if the offense, goaltending (to start) and clearing had been better. So many empty possessions on offense have basically put the defense in a position every quarter and every game where it had to be almost perfect for the team to win. Like a repeat of the ray lewis era ravens teams. Jaronski/kirson/raposo had 2 really ugly clears last week but the offense only put up 2 goals in the first half. There have not been many games this year-towson is a rare one, where the offense really took control of the game and did not force the defense to play at a memorial day weekend level to win.

The difference between Petro and JK is that every petro mention from him and the university began with 05/07/his jhu career. Petro's resume was always a bailout when the team struggled.

They've tried every option but the true freshmen on offense (I think) this year. So we'll see what adjustments they still have.

It's alumni weekend in Columbus so should be a decent crowd.
https://www.thelantern.com/2022/04/mens ... s-hopkins/
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:47 pm I'm not one of the people who thinks Petro "forgot" how to coach defense or that the game has completely passed him by, but it's pretty clear to me the defense has improved under Koesterer. To me that means K is a good coach, not that Petro is suddenly a bad one. Tough to argue with going from #50-something to #16 in adjusted D efficiency in 1.5 seasons. Eye test corroborates the stats IMO — while the D is still prone to lapses they look a lot more organized, slides and recoveries are timed better, etc. Unless you think Scott Smith is singlehandedly responsible for all of that then at least some of that improvement has to do with coaching/philosophy/player development changes.
I agree and disagree. He can certainly coach but the game can certainly have passed him by. While Doc might want to beat everyone over the head with it. There can be an argument that technology changes along with increased velocity on shots make his desire to play position defense and let guys take 15 yard shots might be behind the times. I think we can agree that Hopkins defense has dramatically increased in aggressiveness and there is a marked drop in players seeming lost in no man's land when making a slide. It can probably be argued that the team has reduced the complexity that can slow reactions.

Of course, the talent does play into the defense's ability to defend.
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

kramerica.inc wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:42 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:00 pm
runrussellrun wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:20 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:14 pm
1766 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:01 pm Baltimore is very dangerous. It's starting to reach absurd levels of violence. The degradation of that city is very noticeable. Guilford at one time was a wonderful place. Now stick ups are happening on the reg.

There is nothing quaint or charming about Baltimore anymore. It's a lost city.
baltimore >>>>>>>> new brunswick
Living in Mercer County, New Jersey.....I was against public funding to build New Brunswick's brand new NFL stadium, as it was a state wide bond vote.

They were going to change the name to the TRASHERS, but some guy up in Conneticutt bought his kid a hockey team and they named it that. The guy was trash guy, the owner. Waterbury or that other city off of 84
There was a great Netflix Doc about it, that kid had some life in high school!!

Joe
That documentary was pretty crazy. Highly recommend.
You and Joe beat me to it, but here's the link to it. It's on Netflix - very enjoyable.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt15101956/
Drcthru

Post by Drcthru »

Just an aside. Despite Navy combining four years into the 2022 thread, we are now ahead of them in views and page count. :lol:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to do the dishes.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

ugly weather in Columbus.....
primitiveskills

Less than 30 seconds in and already one of the dumbest comments from QK that I've ever heard
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Epstein back on attack with Angelus and Degnon. DeSo still at midfield

When is OSU's new lax stadium going to be ready? The shoe is an abomination

Post by 1766 »

Interesting comment from QK.

Hopkins flies commercially. Other B1G teams fly charter.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:12 pm Epstein back on attack with Angelus and Degnon. DeSo still at midfield

When is OSU's new lax stadium going to be ready? The shoe is an abomination
Next season.

Joe
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:04 pm Less than 30 seconds in and already one of the dumbest comments from QK that I've ever heard
which comment? About flying on SWA?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”