Syracuse 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FlyEaglesFly

Re: Syracuse 2022

Post by FlyEaglesFly »

1766 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:56 am Basketball coaches don't even wear them anymore. It's cheesy.

Dordevic has another year. Maybe he does hit the portal? He would be much more productive in an offense that Rutgers runs.
Agreed. Or Maryland, Georgetown, UNC, etc…

He doesn’t have much of a supporting cast.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

joewillie78 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:29 pm
sinman6 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:16 pm I'm not sure what people expected from Syracuse this year. New coaching staff + huge question marks at defense and goalie don't create great conditions for success. at least the goalie situation has improved, and the offense is playing well. The albany loss is bad, but all in all, I would say that syracuse is performing as expected right now.
Boy, I don't know. I always expect the Orange to be a brutal out for anyone, and always expect them to make the Dance.

I know the Big Reds game Monday night in the Dome will be a brutally tough test for Cornell, as Syracuse will come out on fire after 2 tough losses.

I hate talking about the Monday game BEFORE an incredibly important Ivy league test against a great Harvard team.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
You're right Joewiille, throw out the W-L records for the Monday tilt...however, you may be the only person in the country that refers to Harvard's team as "great" :shock:
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

1766 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:56 am Basketball coaches don't even wear them anymore. It's cheesy.

Dordevic has another year. Maybe he does hit the portal? He would be much more productive in an offense that Rutgers runs.
I watched a few of the NCAA MBBall playoff games, and I got the distinct impression that the coaches were wearing branded leisure wear. It looked as if the team was a subsidiary of a shoe company. Maybe better than a hideous sweater, but I think tailored suits look great on young ex-player assistants, and hide a multitude of sins on older head coaches.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

sinman6 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:16 pm I'm not sure what people expected from Syracuse this year. New coaching staff + huge question marks at defense and goalie don't create great conditions for success. at least the goalie situation has improved, and the offense is playing well. The albany loss is bad, but all in all, I would say that syracuse is performing as expected right now.
You really think the offense is playing well? They did some good things against Duke but that feels like a lifetime ago. Last night was more of the same, ball dying in sticks, too much one v one and bad shooting. On top of that the EMO doesn't generate any good looks. Injuries and lack of some talent aside they just don't look like they have any plan out there.
Dip&Dunk

Post by Dip&Dunk »

I will raise my hand to say I thought Syracuse would do better this year. I also expected more out of JHU so maybe it is my expectations. Contrary to other posters, I do not think the talent level was/is lacking. Same with JHU. In both cases the name, history and alumni base recruits. Neither school is wanting academically although I and most people would probably rate JHU higher. Both programs seem to have similar issues which people have labeled as mental (JHU clearing, SU offsides, etc.). So, I am not raising these to the level of causality, but the similarities are growing.

Maybe, just maybe, system and individual development is needed before we start the new coach hiring process. Short of that, everyone's expectation management may need to kick in including my own. (Cue: Start playing The Boss' Glory Days in the background.)
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pensky Material wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:58 pm
You really think the offense is playing well? They did some good things against Duke but that feels like a lifetime ago. Last night was more of the same, ball dying in sticks, too much one v one and bad shooting. On top of that the EMO doesn't generate any good looks. Injuries and lack of some talent aside they just don't look like they have any plan out there.
My bold.
Completely agree. If TD were to enter the portal (as has been suggested somewhere here...though he says he's coming back) I wouldn't be at all upset about that.
Keepitin66

Post by Keepitin66 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:30 am
Antonio114 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:57 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:54 am Joke is insulting Carc and other commentators who’s analysis of Syracuse seems to be “look how hard they’re playing! They’re working so hard and never giving up!” as opposed to actually analyzing the team and honestly looking at how the team is playing.

Making the tournament woulda been a bonus after the Hiltz injury considering it’s an extremely thin roster. But this is one of the worst Albany teams in years and they trailed start to finish, coming off a 15 goal loss. Clearly the team isn’t getting better and there have been minimal to no improvements throughout the season.
Wish you just said that in the first place. They are blowing it this year and is it really that surprising when it is the same players who struggled like crazy last year minus some crucial ones like Dearth Rehfuss and Hiltz? Then you add that it's a new staff in year one coaching players they did not recruit and players adjusting to a new system. I did not think it would be quite this bad but it's not a complete shocker. Just wish more people would give the team time rather than pointing and laughing. There have been flashes, and they may surprise with some of these late season results, similar to hop last year.
I mean, it’s one of the biggest programs and brands in the entire sport having a bad season after tons of preseason ink published over new Coach and a new era and attention was paid to them; then when one or two pollsters left them out of their Top 20 the alums were screaming about how bad that would look later in the season.

People making jokes is just the nature of the beast. Get the big plaudits when you’re on top, get the criticism when you’re down low.
I would’ve thought you’d be above criticizing Syracuse for having articles written about them pre-season. The players and coaches don’t ask for those articles, the media outlets like InsideLacrosse request for interviews and write them independently.

To sit here and say that Syracuse deserves to have major outlets and prominent members of the media ridicule them because they were hyped up by those same media members 3 months ago, and a couple inherently biased alumni were defending them up, seems illogical and unfair.

I understand the argument that with the good comes the bad, but 75% of these players are getting 0 scholarship dollars and are now being ridiculed by legitimate media members who don’t seem to make these jokes towards anyone else. All the while these same media members will proudly put on a show and discuss the importance of mental health amongst young athletes. A tad hypocritical if you ask me.

If every player were on a full ride with the prospect of making millions (not $25k) after college, I’d be a bit more comfortable with some of the comments being thrown their way.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Keepitin66 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:12 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:30 am
Antonio114 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:57 am
jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 6:54 am Joke is insulting Carc and other commentators who’s analysis of Syracuse seems to be “look how hard they’re playing! They’re working so hard and never giving up!” as opposed to actually analyzing the team and honestly looking at how the team is playing.

Making the tournament woulda been a bonus after the Hiltz injury considering it’s an extremely thin roster. But this is one of the worst Albany teams in years and they trailed start to finish, coming off a 15 goal loss. Clearly the team isn’t getting better and there have been minimal to no improvements throughout the season.
Wish you just said that in the first place. They are blowing it this year and is it really that surprising when it is the same players who struggled like crazy last year minus some crucial ones like Dearth Rehfuss and Hiltz? Then you add that it's a new staff in year one coaching players they did not recruit and players adjusting to a new system. I did not think it would be quite this bad but it's not a complete shocker. Just wish more people would give the team time rather than pointing and laughing. There have been flashes, and they may surprise with some of these late season results, similar to hop last year.
I mean, it’s one of the biggest programs and brands in the entire sport having a bad season after tons of preseason ink published over new Coach and a new era and attention was paid to them; then when one or two pollsters left them out of their Top 20 the alums were screaming about how bad that would look later in the season.

People making jokes is just the nature of the beast. Get the big plaudits when you’re on top, get the criticism when you’re down low.
I would’ve thought you’d be above criticizing Syracuse for having articles written about them pre-season. The players and coaches don’t ask for those articles, the media outlets like InsideLacrosse request for interviews and write them independently.

To sit here and say that Syracuse deserves to have major outlets and prominent members of the media ridicule them because they were hyped up by those same media members 3 months ago, and a couple inherently biased alumni were defending them up, seems illogical and unfair.

I understand the argument that with the good comes the bad, but 75% of these players are getting 0 scholarship dollars and are now being ridiculed by legitimate media members who don’t seem to make these jokes towards anyone else. All the while these same media members will proudly put on a show and discuss the importance of mental health amongst young athletes. A tad hypocritical if you ask me.

If every player were on a full ride with the prospect of making millions (not $25k) after college, I’d be a bit more comfortable with some of the comments being thrown their way.
Never said they deserved to be ridiculed. Merely that it comes with the territory. For better or worse, no one is going to criticize Bucknell if they have a bad year. But no one is really going to boost them up a lot easier.

When Syracuse is great, it'll be all you here about. When they're not, you'll also hear about it a lot. That's just how it is being Syracuse.

Also, I haven't seen anyone call out any players specifically or go with personal putdowns, but perhaps I am wrong.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I don't think Dordevic is going to transfer. One would think he'd want a year to play with Hiltz and Spallina after he's had to do it all himself this season. Cuse won't be a title contender next year but they can't really be any worse than they are right now, can they?

Players don't deserve ridicule but the Cuse Twitterati absolutely deserve whatever they get now after they excoriated Terry Foy (and others) for deigning to leave Cuse out of his preseason top 20, a decision that now looks prescient. They're the most vicious fan base on social media and very often do not treat those in the media with any respect despite the favorable coverage. Half of the media AA/poll voters as well as ESPN broadcasters are Cuse alums and from what I see on Twitter the fans still act like everyone is out to get them all the time. Most posters *here* aren't like that but it's a different world on Twitter and Instagram.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

Is the Syracuse offense going to send them to the tournament this year? No. But are they doing well, all things considered? I think so. It seems like folks thought the offense would save the day this year, but it's tough to win games when your defense is (unsurprisingly) giving up 15 a game.

More generally, I think we just disagree as to what "playing well" looks like for Syracuse's offense right now.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:33 pm I don't think Dordevic is going to transfer. One would think he'd want a year to play with Hiltz and Spallina after he's had to do it all himself this season. Cuse won't be a title contender next year but they can't really be any worse than they are right now, can they?

Players don't deserve ridicule but the Cuse Twitterati absolutely deserve whatever they get now after they excoriated Terry Foy (and others) for deigning to leave Cuse out of his preseason top 20, a decision that now looks prescient. They're the most vicious fan base on social media and very often do not treat those in the media with any respect despite the favorable coverage. Half of the media AA/poll voters as well as ESPN broadcasters are Cuse alums and from what I see on Twitter the fans still act like everyone is out to get them all the time. Most posters *here* aren't like that but it's a different world on Twitter and Instagram.
There were like 2-3 alums involved in that whole thing. We have already gone over how you were exaggerating things with that incident. I certainly do not condone insulting pollsters but that is the most blown out of proportion incident I have ever freaking seen on here and that is saying something. And it happens all the time! Literally 4 days ago you had yale alums telling a college crosse poll writer that she did not deserve a vote, called it pathetic, suggesting she doesn't even watch college lax, just because she only put them at #10. So similar to the cuse situation. One alum makes the rude remarks, a couple others and a handful of fans like it. Not a peep from college crosse about that even though they are going after one of their own! Its insane
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:59 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:33 pm I don't think Dordevic is going to transfer. One would think he'd want a year to play with Hiltz and Spallina after he's had to do it all himself this season. Cuse won't be a title contender next year but they can't really be any worse than they are right now, can they?

There were like 2-3 alums involved in that whole thing. We have already gone over how you were exaggerating things with that incident. I certainly do not condone insulting pollsters but that is the most blown out of proportion incident I have ever freaking seen on here and that is saying something. And it happens all the time! Literally 4 days ago you had yale alums telling a college crosse poll writer that she did not deserve a vote, called it pathetic, suggesting she doesn't even watch college lax, just because she only put them at #10. So similar to the cuse situation. One alum makes the rude remarks, a couple others and a handful of fans like it. Not a peep from college crosse about that even though they are going after one of their own! Its insane
I mean, we blocked and muted them cause yeah, you're right, that person was going pretty freaking nutty. but didn't need to make a big deal out of it or anything. there are a lot of crazy fans out there.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

https://twitter.com/Shane_Thornton6/sta ... 9166760966

Multiple current players liking the tweet. Where is the fake outrage?
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:02 pm

I mean, we blocked and muted them cause yeah, you're right, that person was going pretty freaking nutty. but didn't need to make a big deal out of it or anything. there are a lot of crazy fans out there.
But you had plenty to say about cuse guys going after foy over at IL!
Pensky Material

Post by Pensky Material »

DMac wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:05 pm
My bold.
Completely agree. If TD were to enter the portal (as has been suggested somewhere here...though he says he's coming back) I wouldn't be at all upset about that.
DMac I will disagree with you about TD. While I do think he's trying to do too much at times I think the idea of playing with Hiltz again and Spallina would be enticing for him.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:05 pm

I made like one comment on a message board. If that's plenty to say, well then okay. I think you just care more because it's your favorite team.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I said fans, not alums. I was counting those 2-3 alums among the cohort of fans. And that incident was representative of a larger trend in behavior dating back a long time.

That Yale person sounds like a real a-hole. But that's one person being rude and seems like a relatively isolated incident? I have not noticed that sort of pattern with Yale alums online. To be honest I haven't really encountered any outside of the few who post here, and they're all cool. Players liking that post isn't a terrific look for them, but that's different from posting. If you want to go down the rabbit hole of "likes" I'm not sure you'd love where we end up.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Pensky Material wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:06 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:05 pm
My bold.
DMac I will disagree with you about TD. While I do think he's trying to do too much at times I think the idea of playing with Hiltz again and Spallina would be enticing for him.
The question then is, would he play a different game? If the ball is still dying in his stick and he's shooting 20+ times a game (many of them ill advised and poor shots) then it doesn't matter who else is on the field with him. I recognize his talent but the ball hog part outweighs that for me. JMHO.
Antonio114

Post by Antonio114 »

jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:07 pm

I made like one comment on a message board. If that's plenty to say, well then okay. I think you just care more because it's your favorite team.
College crosse was definitely tweeting about the foy/cuse incident. They have not called out Yale lax twitter, even though they were directly insulting a college crosse pollster. I think you/college crosse clearly spend more energy going after cuse than you do other programs, blue blood or non-blue blood. I do truly like the work you do, especially the attention given to programs outside the major conferences. Your behavior with cuse just gets under my skin. Will drop it now as it is no big deal either way. Im in a bad mood due to this current cuse meltdown.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Antonio114 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:20 pm
jrn19 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:07 pm

College crosse was definitely tweeting about the foy/cuse incident. They have not called out Yale lax twitter, even though they were directly insulting a college crosse pollster. I think you/college crosse clearly spend more energy going after cuse than you do other programs, blue blood or non-blue blood. I do truly like the work you do, especially the attention given to programs outside the major conferences. Your behavior with cuse just gets under my skin. Will drop it now as it is no big deal either way. Im in a bad mood due to this current cuse meltdown.
I don't remember us tweeting about the foy/cuse deal at the time, but if I'm wrong, I will cop to that. The Yale thing was isolated to one particular person and if its one person, block/mute and move on. We do certainly crack our jokes about Cuse, but that's also bc we've got Cuse friends and one of us is a Cuse fan. I'd like to think we divvy up the jokes equitably but perhaps you're wrong and I can more than understand why a Cuse fan would sometimes get irritated.

No worries, and you're right, it's not a big deal. I'm surprised about the result last night and the ND game, even if that was impacted by the travel. Thought they'd turned a corner after that mini-win streak at least to beat Albany and be competitive vs rest of ACC except for UVA.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”