ODAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Dehuntshigwa’es

Re: ODAC 2022

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:35 am
JustOneTime wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:49 am Roanoke struggled again defensively last night vs Bridgewater. They certainly can score though so its hard to count them out.
Pilat needs to figure the defense out, they keep running the same guys out there with the same system and expecting a different result.
Try different combos of players, move them around, and for God sake swallow your pride and get the zone out of mothballs. Wesleyan (who has a certain Roanoke lacrosse alum on the coaching stuff) held Amherst to 14 goals last night running their zone, meanwhile Roanoke allowed Bridgewater to score 14 despite Bwater turning it over 18 times and clearing at a rate of less than 50%.
Lynchburg will hang a 25-spot on them if they don't get their sht together.
The O can go, no issues there whatsoever. You would think the D would be easy to fix. I was surprised W&L scored 11 against them at that point in the season W&L ‘s offense had been AWOL. With the Roanoke game they’ve made some changes and seem to be doing better on offense. I agree if your offense is potentially that potent why not try a zone get a lead and slow down your oppositions offense especially w a shot clock. Worth a try
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

The O is potent but they do get sloppy at times at it leads to fast breaks for the opponents. Transition goals are a problem. The Noke middies don't have the speed to help defensively. 6 on 6 their not too bad.
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

No doubt the Noke defense has issues but also think there’s something to be said about pushing transition, playing a fast brand of lacrosse, you’re going to also give up transition. Attacking in early O with less than 6 on, getting caught subbing, you’ll give up some easy looks. Think it’s the cost of doing business. Nokes middies can’t play 2 ways.

The “nescac not playing defense” is a cold take I think. Look at the national championship scores for tufts and Wesleyan specifically. They play defense, they just play faster, and have been for some time. You put a lot of pressure on your defense when you shoot more as there’s just that many more possessions. Now with the shotclock too…you don’t have as many 9-7 rock fights. Nobody can suck the air out of the ball anymore.

It’s good for lacrosse, it’s more exciting. It also plays to roanokes advantage this year because they don’t dominate faceoffs.
Fielder

Post by Fielder »

I have to way in on this Lynchburg talk about the school being about Lacrosse first. That is not a true statement. If you look at what Coach K does with his kids and the commitments he puts on them outside of lacrosse including academics first, community service, and little things like sitting in front of the class, you would understand, a kid chooses Lynchburg because it is a blue collar. 90% of that team has a GPA over 3.0 and they are not allowed to drink during fall ball or the season. Not to mention if you look at the facilities outside of Shellenberger, they do not even compete with the other ODAC schools. He knows he is setting up his kids to be the best at what they choose to do after college.

To do what Coach K does with limited budgets, a full-time assistant was only brought on a few years ago, the rest of the time just GA's that also do all the laundry for the team and rest of the teams at Lynchburg. Compare the facilities, locker rooms (shared locker space), etc..., it is very impressive what he has been able to do to be competitive and consistent in the D3 lacrosse world and the lacrosse world in general.

A kid chooses Lynchburg because he knows how to work and yes they are going after lacrosse players that can handle the expectations and commitments put on them outside of Lacrosse. The commitment to play at Lynchburg is more than just lacrosse and yes you have to love playing lacrosse to make it all 4 years and want to win a Championship. No doubt it is run like a top tier program, with limited budgets and very out of the box thinking to compete with the recruitng facility game. The lacrosse program just started an endowment this year, I am guessing schools like W&L have had something like this for many years, but everything else has always relied on alumni donations over the years.

And yes CNU is their biggest competition in getting kids, which I am guessing is true for Roanoke as well since the assistant at CNU is a Roanoke Alumni, they have lost a bunch because it is a state school. So yes Coach K knows the type of kid he wants, one that fits the culture, but he is not bending rules. If you know him at all, that is not acceptable. Until this year, and I don't know the reasons, but undergraduate transfers were not even a consideration, I believe there are 2 on the team now. And from the games I have seen, those guys don't get much time if any in the big games. They have to earn that playing time over the guys that have been there.

Maybe you have to understand the Lynchburg Lacrosse Family that Coach K has created to really get it, but kids that want facilities and gear, are not going there.

Lynchburg outside the ODAC is always playing the hardest schedule. Name another school that has only lost to 3 of the top 5 teams and also played 2 more in the top 20. And one of those games, CNU, they fought back to be in that game. Even the W&L game they made a run to get back within . They do not and will not give up, and know where they have to be to be at the level of those top tier teams now. That I believe is going to benefit them down the road.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

A positive culture and a complete buy in from the team are two very important elements of a successful program.
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Fielder, great insight on Lynchburg, thanks. I did note the fact that the Lburg boys played right up to the bitter end in the W&L game, no quit in that team.

On another note, today Roanoke announced an MBA program beginning in the Summer of 2023: https://www.roanoke.edu/about/news/mba_program. That should be helpful in keeping a few of the guys around for one more year who have that eligibility now, and with recruiting going forward.

DeHunt, do you know whether any of the W&L players are attending the law school there? Is that even possible? I know it would take a special human being to manage the first year of law school and play lacrosse as well, but I'm sure some of the guys could do it.

Imagine a scenario where a Roanoke or Lynchburg player does his fifth year as a 1L at W&L Law. :shock: :lol:
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

JBFortunato wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:25 am Fielder, great insight on Lynchburg, thanks. I did note the fact that the Lburg boys played right up to the bitter end in the W&L game, no quit in that team.

On another note, today Roanoke announced an MBA program beginning in the Summer of 2023: https://www.roanoke.edu/about/news/mba_program. That should be helpful in keeping a few of the guys around for one more year who have that eligibility now, and with recruiting going forward.

DeHunt, do you know whether any of the W&L players are attending the law school there? Is that even possible? I know it would take a special human being to manage the first year of law school and play lacrosse as well, but I'm sure some of the guys could do it.

Imagine a scenario where a Roanoke or Lynchburg player does his fifth year as a 1L at W&L Law. :shock: :lol:
Step in the right direction for the school. Outside of a fifth year playing at Noke, would be huge if athletics adds a graduate assistant program. Some consistency with assistant coaches and an extra set of hands would do the Roanoke program a huge service.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

BigFella wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:04 am
JBFortunato wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 10:25 am Fielder, great insight on Lynchburg, thanks. I did note the fact that the Lburg boys played right up to the bitter end in the W&L game, no quit in that team.

Step in the right direction for the school. Outside of a fifth year playing at Noke, would be huge if athletics adds a graduate assistant program. Some consistency with assistant coaches and an extra set of hands would do the Roanoke program a huge service.
When does the 5th year of eligibility end? I thought it was just for kids in school during the 2020 season. So two more seasons? Ending with spring of 2024?
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:32 am

When does the 5th year of eligibility end? I thought it was just for kids in school during the 2020 season. So two more seasons? Ending with spring of 2024?
We should have 3 more years of it, 2026 will be the first season that is back to normal. For D3 2021 did not count either. Which is why Gallagher is able to play a 6th year at Ohio State.

It would be nearly impossible to compete and go to W&Ls law school. Both from a workload and scheduling standpoint, I’m sure they could even attend practice as I think many classes go into the evening.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

InsiderRoll wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:13 pm
Jumbo wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:32 am

We should have 3 more years of it, 2026 will be the first season that is back to normal. For D3 2021 did not count either. Which is why Gallagher is able to play a 6th year at Ohio State.

It would be nearly impossible to compete and go to W&Ls law school. Both from a workload and scheduling standpoint, I’m sure they could even attend practice as I think many classes go into the evening.
I just read up on it. Athletes normally have 5 years to get 4 years in. 2020 didn’t count towards a year of play, so they get 6 years to play 4. Because of covid , freshman that entered college in 2019, can play 4 seasons til 2026 season. Some schools are taking full advantage. CNU has 9 this year. HSC doesn’t have a grad program, so they don’t have any
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Yes however, student athletes who were freshman in D3 can technically have competed in 6 seasons. 2020-2025.
You also may get some of the players who withdrew or have lengthened the time needed to get a degree to 5 years, so grad programs are not necessarily a requirement for 5th years. How ever the route is more popular in D1 when scholarships can ease the financial burden.
Brain

Post by Brain »

Noke at home vs Burt’s Bees? Randy Mac doesn’t play well when traveling to Donny Kerr. Last 6 meetings between the 2 at Roanoke, Noke wins by an average of 10.83 goals. Give me Noke by 10 (history repeats itself, and thats just how it goes). Kammerman is smooth as butter, no need for Noke to have a defense if this kid can hang 12 on Randy Mac himself. It’s almost honey gathering season, the bees minds are occupied. Noke by 10. Book it.
ShenandoahLaxDad

Post by ShenandoahLaxDad »

Brain wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:11 pm Noke at home vs Burt’s Bees? Randy Mac doesn’t play well when traveling to Donny Kerr. Last 6 meetings between the 2 at Roanoke, Noke wins by an average of 10.83 goals. Give me Noke by 10 (history repeats itself, and thats just how it goes). Kammerman is smooth as butter, no need for Noke to have a defense if this kid can hang 12 on Randy Mac himself. It’s almost honey gathering season, the bees minds are occupied. Noke by 10. Book it.
9-8 RMC at half, this isn't the same RMC team or Roanoke teams as years past. Been saying that Roanoke hasnt been the same since that team in 2018 with Stucker, Sarro, Curry, Davies, etc.

The tide is turning on Noke...
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:07 pm
Brain wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 5:11 pm Noke at home vs Burt’s Bees? Randy Mac doesn’t play well when traveling to Donny Kerr. Last 6 meetings between the 2 at Roanoke, Noke wins by an average of 10.83 goals. Give me Noke by 10 (history repeats itself, and thats just how it goes). Kammerman is smooth as butter, no need for Noke to have a defense if this kid can hang 12 on Randy Mac himself. It’s almost honey gathering season, the bees minds are occupied. Noke by 10. Book it.
9-8 RMC at half, this isn't the same RMC team or Roanoke teams as years past. Been saying that Roanoke hasnt been the same since that team in 2018 with Stucker, Sarro, Curry, Davies, etc.

It seems the tide turned back again.
Brain

Post by Brain »

Image[/img]

Good thing the game is 2 halves big fella. Noke on top.
Attachments
8532EDEE-FE7D-4F6D-98C4-70CFA261E117.jpeg
8532EDEE-FE7D-4F6D-98C4-70CFA261E117.jpeg (25.36 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
ShenandoahLaxDad

Brain wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:08 pm Image[/img]

Thought it was an easy win by 10? Celebrating a choke job by RMC and a skin of your teeth win by 4?

Soon enough RMC will win those games and Roanoke will continue to be irrelevant in the ODAC and nationally.
BTM2

Post by BTM2 »

Haters gotta hate.
Brain

Post by Brain »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:17 pm

Thought it was an easy win by 10? Celebrating a choke job by RMC and a skin of your teeth win by 4?

Soon enough RMC will win those games and Roanoke will continue to be irrelevant in the ODAC and nationally.
Envy is a deadly sin.
ShenandoahLaxDad

Brain wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Envy is a deadly sin.
In fact it is, but Pride is said to be the father of all sins.
Brain

Post by Brain »

ShenandoahLaxDad wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:07 pm
Brain wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:34 pm

Envy is a deadly sin.
In fact it is, but Pride is said to be the father of all sins.
I’m your father.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”