Ivy League 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Ivy League 2022

Post by wgdsr »

great game. acc conference games were garbage. glad to see a good one.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Possible Ivy Honorees this week:

With the lowest scoring week thus far, defensive players might be recognized. I'm happy to stand corrected, but it seems that Chris Lyons is the stand alone for ROW.

POW:

Alex Slusher, Princeton: 6 points (6,0) versus Brown
Erik Peters, Princeton: 15 saves (63%) versus Brown
Dan Hinks, Dartmouth: 16 saves (67%) versus Cornell
Sam Handley, Penn: 5 Points (3,2) versus Princeton
Gavin Adler, Cornell: 5 Ground Balls, 4 Caused Turnovers versus Dartmouth
Chris Fake, Yale: 4 Ground Balls, 4 Caused Turnovers versus Penn

ROW:

Chris Lyons, Yale: 4 points versus Penn (3,1) plus, Game Winning Goal (GWG)
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

faircornell wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:37 pm Possible Ivy Honorees this week:

With the lowest scoring week thus far, defensive players might be recognized. I'm happy to stand corrected, but it seems that Chris Lyons is the stand alone for ROW.

POW:

ROW:

Has the League ever given players from losing teams these recognitions? Not this year, at least...

So far this year, it's been all goalkeepers and offensive players, so I'd like to see Gavin Adler or Chris Fake awarded. I did not see the Dartmouth-Cornell game, but I can say that in addition to the statistics cited, Fake was very effective and important in Yale's clearing game. Lyons, yes. Maybe the League is considering others for the Rookie of the Week, but Lyons would be a very deserving recipient. He's taken over Matt Gaudet's #44 and plays pretty much the same role, but is rather more mobile and has his own distinct characteristics. Beginning with the Yale @ Cornell game, he's been an absolute revelation.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:35 pm

POW:

ROW:

Has the League ever given players from losing teams these recognitions? Not this year, at least...

So far this year, it's been all goalkeepers and offensive players, so I'd like to see Gavin Adler or Chris Fake awarded. I did not see the Dartmouth-Cornell game, but I can say that in addition to the statistics cited, Fake was very effective and important in Yale's clearing game. Lyons, yes. Maybe the League is considering others for the Rookie of the Week, but Lyons would be a very deserving recipient. He's taken over Matt Gaudet's #44 and plays pretty much the same role, but is rather more mobile and has his own distinct characteristics. Beginning with the Yale @ Cornell game, he's been an absolute revelation.
I can't recall the League awarding honors to players whose teams did not win. I was trying to be thorough, just in case. If ROW is based on winning and statistics, there was no one close to Lyons in terms of number of points or contribution to victory. As always, I may be wrong.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Picking up a discussion from the Yale thread, this week for Yale has some parallels to last week's Cornell situation. Yale has a tough road game against BU. The updated Massey prediction favors Yale, but gives both BU and Yale a 50% win probability. BU has not lost at home this year. Yale is coming off a "murders row" of Cornell, Princeton and Penn, and then has two road games. Dartmouth has Stony Brook at home on Tuesday (I believe their coach's alma mater), so they also have a challenging Tuesday game.

My personal guess is that Yale has enough talent to endure a newly competitive Dartmouth team. But it will be after playing three top-10 teams, and one top 15 team consecutively. Massey currently ranks Yale as having the #5 SOS, and this week will be a test for the Bulldogs.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

POW:

ROW:

Slusher of Princeton and Lyons of Yale get the weekly awards. Good work FairCornell. https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/4/4/pri ... onors.aspx

Chris Fake didn't make the "Honor Roll," but Gavin Adler did. Again, I think the long poles deserve more recognition than they are getting. That being said, I do believe that both Slusher and Lyons are fully deserving.

EDIT: look what they snuck into this awards announcement: "The top-four teams in the final regular season standings will qualify for the 2022 Ivy League Men's Lacrosse Tournament slated for May 6 & 8 at the site of the team with the best Ivy League record." Okay, glad they saw fit to let us know.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

With NCAA seedings coming up sooner rather than later,

Georgetown Rutgers Penn

that stretch is going to serve Princeton well.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:42 pm Georgetown Rutgers Penn
I know it doesn't mean anything, but I was surprised when reading Terry Foy's Top 20 this week that he had Princeton @ 7 and Virginia @ 3. He even breaks down best wins and losses: Princeton's best win (Georgetown, 3rd RPI) and Worst Loss (Yale, 4th RPI) vs. Virginia's Best Win (UNC, 12th RPI) and Worst Loss (Richmond, 15th RPI).

Both teams have 2 losses, Princeton is #1 in RPI, and plays in what appears to be a much better conference this year. And while both teams have lost to Maryland, Princeton played them relatively close while UVA got absolutely rolled.

I guess some habits (privileging ACC over Ivy League) die hard.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... azy-/59294
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:24 pm
10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:42 pm Georgetown Rutgers Penn
I know it doesn't mean anything, but I was surprised when reading Terry Foy's Top 20 this week that he had Princeton @ 7 and Virginia @ 3. He even breaks down best wins and losses: Princeton's best win (Georgetown, 3rd RPI) and Worst Loss (Yale, 4th RPI) vs. Virginia's Best Win (UNC, 12th RPI) and Worst Loss (Richmond, 15th RPI).

Both teams have 2 losses, Princeton is #1 in RPI, and plays in what appears to be a much better conference this year. And while both teams have lost to Maryland, Princeton played them relatively close while UVA got absolutely rolled.

I guess some habits (privileging ACC over Ivy League) die hard.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... azy-/59294
Agree. Princeton has a much better resume. Should be #2 or, at worst, #3.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:13 pm

POW:

ROW:

Slusher of Princeton and Lyons of Yale get the weekly awards. Good work FairCornell. https://ivyleague.com/news/2022/4/4/pri ... onors.aspx

Chris Fake didn't make the "Honor Roll," but Gavin Adler did. Again, I think the long poles deserve more recognition than they are getting. That being said, I do believe that both Slusher and Lyons are fully deserving.

EDIT: look what they snuck into this awards announcement: "The top-four teams in the final regular season standings will qualify for the 2022 Ivy League Men's Lacrosse Tournament slated for May 6 & 8 at the site of the team with the best Ivy League record." Okay, glad they saw fit to let us know.
Thanks, Fann! I had not looked at the Honor Roll closely before. As far as I can tell this is the first week that the League has included poles. Five of the seven Honor Role players are defensive. Three poles and two goalies.
Mid-Lax

Post by Mid-Lax »

My head spins when I look at the possibilities for the ILT and Ivy NCAAs. Will the current IL order (H>C>P>Y>P>D>B) be maintained or will there be some flip flopping of teams? And 0-2 teams aren't out of it if they can take care of business. Can the ILT champion plus three at large teams get NCAA bids? Can even a non-ILT team get an at-large bid? Very interesting four weeks to come.
(rhetorical questions, don't expect answers unless you have firm opinions)

Seems like as the pressure ramps up, the best is yet to come.
Lux et veritas
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Mid-Lax wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:18 pm My head spins when I look at the possibilities for the ILT and Ivy NCAAs. Will the current IL order (H>C>P>Y>P>D>B) be maintained or will there be some flip flopping of teams? And 0-2 teams aren't out of it if they can take care of business. Can the ILT champion plus three at large teams get NCAA bids? Can even a non-ILT team get an at-large bid? Very interesting four weeks to come.

If 4 Ivy League teams make the playoffs, watch the selection committee put them all on the same of the bracket.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

laxfan1313 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:50 pm
Mid-Lax wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:18 pm My head spins when I look at the possibilities for the ILT and Ivy NCAAs. Will the current IL order (H>C>P>Y>P>D>B) be maintained or will there be some flip flopping of teams? And 0-2 teams aren't out of it if they can take care of business. Can the ILT champion plus three at large teams get NCAA bids? Can even a non-ILT team get an at-large bid? Very interesting four weeks to come.

If 4 Ivy League teams make the playoffs, watch the selection committee put them all on the same of the bracket.
3 on one side, Yale on the other.
“I wish you would!”
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Brown at Penn Saturday kinda looks like a must-win game for both teams. At 0-2 in the Ivy, Brown to have a realistic chance of making the ILT must win; and if the Bears don't make the ILT, I don't think their OOC schedule and record can get them into the NCAA tourney. Penn is nationally ranked in the Top 10, but at 1-2 in the Ivy a loss would cast the Quakers' ILT chances into serious doubt. I could be wrong, but I just don't think the NCAA will give the Ancient Eight more than four places in the dance. In any case, I think Penn will "hold serve" and win at home (13-8 maybe).

Harvard has looked good so far this season, but playing Cornell in Ithaca is a whole new level of difficulty for the Crimson. With Harvard 2-0 in the Ivy and 7-1 overall, Cornell will almost certainly have to play well to win. Cornell is 8-1 overall and 2-1 in the Ivy. Considering both teams' records, I'd have to dub this game the best Ivy match-up this weekend. If I were to bet on this game, I'd put my money on Cornell (12-10?); but the Big Red absolutely cannot take anything for granted here. Again, for me, this is the Ivy game of the weekend, and it should give us a decent idea of how far Harvard has progressed under Byrne.

Ivy lacrosse is amazing this year!
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

It is concievable that the 5th place Ivy gets a bid as long as it has a winning record, but I won't be betting lunch money on it. It is a strange year with the ACC a mess, but I think 5 Ivies will be a bridge too far for the committee. The howling by bubble teams...😳
PicLax

Post by PicLax »

It’s actually very possible that 5 Ivy’s (Cornell, Princeton, Yale, Penn, Harvard) make the NCAA tournament if using RPI (not saying this is the best method, just saying if it is the one used).
Three scenarios would have to take place.
One, Cornell, Princeton, Yale and Penn - who all still have OOC games remaining - would need to win those games, as well as beat Brown and Dartmouth. This will keep their rankings high, so no matter what happens inter-conference among them and Harvard, all of their RPI rankings should remain high at the end of the year.
Two, no major regular season upset of a current high ranked team by a lower ranked team that pulls that lower ranked team above the lowest of the 5 Ivy teams.
Three, no unexpected other conference tournament champion that increases that conferences number of bids (for example, Ohio State winning Big Ten would likely make that conference a likely three-bid and knock out lowest Ivy).
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

You forgot 4: No elite program manages to salvage a mediocre season by becoming tourney-eligible.

It may seem like a long shot, but JHU and Syracuse still have outside shots at hitting .500 and becoming tourney-eligible. The past has shown that the committee will find a way to get one or both of those teams in regardless of relative strength-of-resume against an Ivy (or other non-ACC/B10 conference) team.

For reference, look @ 2019, when JH got in over Cornell (and several other more-deserving teams) despite Cornell having a higher RPI and more impressive wins (including the late-season win against ND).

At 5-6, all JHU needs to do is beat Penn State and OSU, then win a B10 tourney game and they're eligible. A tall order, but OSU isn't playing well lately and Michigan is beatable.

If they're in the mix, and especially JHU, then they're in the dance - probably at the expense of a 4th (let alone 5th) Ivy.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

ICGrad wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:01 am You forgot 4: No elite program manages to salvage a mediocre season by becoming tourney-eligible.

It may seem like a long shot, but JHU and Syracuse still have outside shots at hitting .500 and becoming tourney-eligible. The past has shown that the committee will find a way to get one or both of those teams in regardless of relative strength-of-resume against an Ivy (or other non-ACC/B10 conference) team.

For reference, look @ 2019, when JH got in over Cornell (and several other more-deserving teams) despite Cornell having a higher RPI and more impressive wins (including the late-season win against ND).

At 5-6, all JHU needs to do is beat Penn State and OSU, then win a B10 tourney game and they're eligible. A tall order, but OSU isn't playing well lately and Michigan is beatable.

If they're in the mix, and especially JHU, then they're in the dance - probably at the expense of a 4th (let alone 5th) Ivy.
Ouch, 2019 bad memory. Yes, when the Big Red beat a highly respected and ranked ND team on the ROAD, I thought that locked up a spot in the Dance. That one hurt, but credit the Big Red for coming out in 2020 on fire, going 5-0 and a #2 ranking, and for continuing its great play this year.
I've always said, things have a way of evening out, and one year, when we all think the Red didn't do enough to get in, they will.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

bearlaxfan wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:58 am It is concievable that the 5th place Ivy gets a bid as long as it has a winning record, but I won't be betting lunch money on it. It is a strange year with the ACC a mess, but I think 5 Ivies will be a bridge too far for the committee. The howling by bubble teams...😳
In the past 10 years or so, 5 ACC teams got in every year it seems, even the 5th place team that missed the ACC tourney. The RPI of ACC teams went up each time they played an in-conference game. I would think the same thing would apply to the Ivies this season.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Another day of pumping up each other’s RPI is on tap. Thanks to a dominant win by Yale at BU on Tuesday, the Ivies’ collective RPI keeps getting better. This is the new ACC in that regard – win out of conference so the Intra-league defeats don’t matter as much. Despite what the numbers will show prior to the big dance, the Balto/ACC forces will figure out a way to prevent five Ivies from making the tournament. “Sad,” as our former President would say. If Cornell wins in upcoming games against Army and Cuse, that will further boost Ivy RPIs. The only other significant OOC game for the Ancient Eight will be Penn playing 8-2 RV St. Joseph’s on April 26. I have included the Massey predictions for today’s games below, but if you want the details, you can dig deeper here: https://masseyratings.com/clax/ncaa-d1/games Massey’s computer has crushed my homer emotional picks so far, but hope springs eternal.

#10 Harvard (7-1) at #6 Cornell (8-1) – Massey predicts a 13-11 victory for the Big Red in the Ivy Game of the Week. Andy Towers agrees. Gerry Byrne has done a remarkable job with the Boys of Jordan Field. His squad has a combination of athletic talent and grit that was not historically associated with this program. Still unclear to me why they choose to play in the least inspiring venue in the Ivy League when the most historic stadium in all of college athletics is 100 yards away, but what do I know about the psyche of a hypercompetitive dude from Levittown? Maybe Gerry likes having the Patagonia-clad titans of industry far from his bench, since those PE/hedge fund folks don’t understand that the F Bomb can be a term of endearment. This is an intriguing match-up with a banged up Big Red hosting an emergent Harvard program that is still in search of its signature win. Unfortunately, what appeared to be great wins at the time (Michigan, BU, Brown) have tarnished as those teams have gone a combined 2-7 since their losses to Harvard. Rooting for Harvard, but I have to improve my poor prognostication record by going with head over heart. Cornell 14-10.

#5 Yale (6-2) at Dartmouth (4-5) – Massey says 12-9 Yale. I watched the Yale/BU game in person where the sun wreaked havoc on the goalies in the second and third quarters. Danny Hincks won’t have that problem on home turf today. It’s no secret that I absolutely love that kid’s game, but the component parts around the tender continue to improve. They combined to hold Cornell to only 8 goals last weekend with 16 saves credited to the keeper. Hinck’s father played at Yale, but Dad and the Hanover faithful will be rooting hard for the Big Green to finally get off the snide with its first Ivy win since the Obama administration. I’m rooting for that to happen, but it’s probably more likely to come against Brown State later this season. The Princes of Pre-Game Potty Patois win this one 10-8.

RV Brown (5-4) at #8 Penn (4-3) – Massey forecasts a 14-10 win for the Quakers. Andy Towers commits fratricide by agreeing that Penn will win this one. The component parts are there for the Bears, but they just don’t seem to put it all together at the same time. (If I can par one hole, why can’t I par all 18???) Brown has specialists, LSMs, outside shooters and close finishers capable of recording an upset, but I’m seeing more bogeys than birdies for this hot & cold team on the road today. Penn 15-9.

#13 BU (8-2) at #3 Princeton (7-2) – Andy Towers said before the Yale game that BU would defeat Princeton. Unclear whether Tuesday’s worst quarter in Division 1 this year (surrendering 11 goals to the Elis) would change Andy’s mind about the Terriers. Massey takes the other side of this bet, predicting a 15-11 home win for Princeton. I really like the undersized BU FO guy who is lightning quick on his clamps, but needs to clean up his ground ball play. I agree with Massey. Tigers win 15-11.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”