VA Public School Lacrosse

HS Boys Lacrosse
OSVAlacrosse

Re: VA Public School Lacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Jumboslax27 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:16 pm
NoVaLacrosse wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:10 pm
123 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:17 am Pre district state qualifiers after spring break. Clear favorites have emerged.
6a?
6b Battlefield> Patriot. No one else.
6c Robinson>>Lake Braddock. Long, long shots: Woodson, West Po.
6d Yorktown> Madison, Langley. Long shots: Oakton, Westfield, Centreville, Mclean, Chantilly

States
Robo>Battlefield> Yorktown> 6a
Not sure how you can say no one else other than Battlefield and Patriot when Freedom went to OT with Patriot, and apparently was winning 6-1 at one point in the game, and only lost to Battlefield by 4. And then list long long shots as woodson and west po for 6c when both of those teams aren't even in the same atmosphere as Robinson and Lake Braddock. Freedom has just as much of a chance as Battlefield and Patriot imo
First off, no team is in the same atmosphere as Robinson. By your logic, the list should have just said “State Champ-Robinson, Battlefield and Patriot long shots.” Unfortunately, that would have been no fun to read. Second, Freedom plays lacrosse in 5A, so why on earth would they be on a list of potential 6A regional champs??? Not sure how you can say a 5A team has a good chance to win a 6A regional title. If you’re gonna try to correct people on here, at least do your research.
I would disagree with the "no team is in the same atmosphere as Robinson?" I have seen too many games to believe that. Lake Braddock has players to compete and these games can be upsets. I think in later rounds either Patriot or Battlefield could beat them.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:00 pm
123 wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:17 am Pre district state qualifiers after spring break. Clear favorites have emerged.
6a?
6d Yorktown> Madison, Langley. Long shots: Oakton, Westfield, Centreville, Mclean, Chantilly

States
Not sure how you can say no one else other than Battlefield and Patriot when Freedom went to OT with Patriot, and apparently was winning 6-1 at one point in the game, and only lost to Battlefield by 4. And then list long long shots as woodson and west po for 6c when both of those teams aren't even in the same atmosphere as Robinson and Lake Braddock. Freedom has just as much of a chance as Battlefield and Patriot imo
First off, no team is in the same atmosphere as Robinson. By your logic, the list should have just said “State Champ-Robinson, Battlefield and Patriot long shots.” Unfortunately, that would have been no fun to read. Second, Freedom plays lacrosse in 5A, so why on earth would they be on a list of potential 6A regional champs??? Not sure how you can say a 5A team has a good chance to win a 6A regional title. If you’re gonna try to correct people on here, at least do your research.
I would disagree with the "no team is in the same atmosphere as Robinson?" I have seen too many games to believe that. Lake Braddock has players to compete and these games can be upsets. I think in later rounds either Patriot or Battlefield could beat them.
I’m not saying Patriot and Battlefield can’t beat them. I’m saying they’re a class above both those teams. I’ve watched both Robinson and Battlefield play 3+ times this year. It’s hard for me to say Battlefield is on the level Robinson is. You’re obviously welcome to disagree, but I don’t want you to misinterpret what I’m saying. Of course nobody is unbeatable, but to me Robinson is the overwhelming favorite.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

I agree that Robinson is the 6A favorite but as far as I know they have not played Battlefield or Patriot in a game this spring. Fall season does not count.
NoVaLacrosse

Post by NoVaLacrosse »

6a?

States
HAHAHA.. some people.. "If you're gonna try to correct people on here, at least do your research." Maybe you should take your own advice and DO YOUR RESEARCH! Freedom is in the Cedar Run District this year. Here's a screen shot straight from the VHSL website to help you with your research:
IMG_4604.jpg
IMG_4604.jpg (219.13 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

Post by 123 »

6a?

States
Do you still think Freedom has as much of a chance as Battlefield/Patriot after losing to Battlefield 11-2 last night?
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

123 wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 9:17 am
6a?

States
Do you still think Freedom has as much of a chance as Battlefield/Patriot after losing to Battlefield 11-2 last night?
I think Freedom always has a chance with some strong players at D and FOGO. It may not happen this season but look out for Freedom in the future. Great young players and a really strong feeder youth program. No team has had to deal with changing classes and changing school zones like this school has along with the school that opened a few blocks away. Kudos to the coaching staff.
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

6a?

States
Regardless of the battlefield/freedom score last night, freedom still went to overtime with patriot. I think novaLax’s point was that freedom should be in the conversation for that region, not that they are definitely going to win it. Looks like 123 got called out and changed the subject. You told him to do his research before correcting people, all the while you did not do your research. Pot calling the kettle black?
VA6ALacrosse

Post by VA6ALacrosse »

OSVAlacrosse wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 3:00 pm
6a?

States
Lake Braddock is solid for sure, but I highly doubt they can beat Robinson. Robinson has some defenders that can match up with those LB D1 guys, and LB’s defense is no where near good enough to stop the robinson O. Not to mention the two D1 faceoff guys that play make it take it. I don’t see LB winning many faceoffs either, therefore their offense won’t have nearly as many opportunities as the Robinson offense. Just seems like too much for LB to handle. But you’re right, upsets do happen, so never say never! Just seems highly unlikely.

Post by 123 »

VA6ALacrosse wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:12 pm
6a?

States
Regardless of the battlefield/freedom score last night, freedom still went to overtime with patriot. I think novaLax’s point was that freedom should be in the conversation for that region, not that they are definitely going to win it. Looks like 123 got called out and changed the subject. You told him to do his research before correcting people, all the while you did not do your research. Pot calling the kettle black?
Why would anyone reading this need you to interpret nova lax's point when anyone can read what nova lax said "Freedom has just as much chance as Battlefield and Patriot imo". Do you work in the main stream media by chance? Sounds like now what Im reading is a little word sleuthing where Freedom will be good in the future (which i agree with) and always have "a chance"(which I agree with) vs "as much a chance" (which i dont agree with). No changing the subject in any conversation I am having.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

NoVaLacrosse wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:55 pm
6a?

States
HAHAHA.. some people.. "If you're gonna try to correct people on here, at least do your research." Maybe you should take your own advice and DO YOUR RESEARCH! Freedom is in the Cedar Run District this year. Here's a screen shot straight from the VHSL website to help you with your research: IMG_4604.jpg

Hmm… perhaps I was wrong. They must have switched this year? I I am fully blaming laxnumbers.com for my mistake. It still has Freedom listed as 5A. However, upon further investigation they were 6A for football this year, so they must be for lacrosse too. My bad mate. I’d slot them in at 7/8 in my rankings. Seems that Battlefield completely outclassed them yesterday. I don’t mean any of this as some sort of Freedom hate, just didn’t have them on the radar for 6A. I believe they play Patriot again right? That will answer a lot of questions about their state tournament hopes.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

So… after all that. Revised 6A rankings.
1. Robinson
2. Battlefield
3. Patriot
4. Yorktown
5. Lake Braddock
6. Madison
7. Langley
8. Freedom SR-there ya go novalax:)
9. West Po
10. Oakton/Westfield
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

Centerville is sneaky good this year. I am excited to see how they handle the rest of the season
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

Centreville is down just like most of the northern region teams. Langley, Oakton, Westfield, Chantilly, Woodson, Stone Bridge, SOCO are all shells of what they once were. After the top 4-5, it’s like watching upper-level to mid level JV. Maybe Down is the new Normal?
Laxaholic123

Post by Laxaholic123 »

SpinalTap14 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:28 am Centreville is down just like most of the northern region teams. Langley, Oakton, Westfield, Chantilly, Woodson, Stone Bridge, SOCO are all shells of what they once were. After the top 4-5, it’s like watching upper-level to mid level JV. Maybe Down is the new Normal?
I think this has to do with the amount of kids playing youth lacrosse. The whole NVYLL has been on a decline in terms of numbers of kids.
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

Laxaholic123 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:16 am
SpinalTap14 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:28 am Centreville is down just like most of the northern region teams. Langley, Oakton, Westfield, Chantilly, Woodson, Stone Bridge, SOCO are all shells of what they once were. After the top 4-5, it’s like watching upper-level to mid level JV. Maybe Down is the new Normal?
I think this has to do with the amount of kids playing youth lacrosse. The whole NVYLL has been on a decline in terms of numbers of kids.
I also think Covid had a large impact on player development. A lot of these kids playing in these games didn’t even get the JV experience, now they’re being asked to play significant roles in varsity games. This is the kind of year where good coaches really shine.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

Jumboslax27 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 3:54 pm
Laxaholic123 wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 11:16 am
I also think Covid had a large impact on player development. A lot of these kids playing in these games didn’t even get the JV experience, now they’re being asked to play significant roles in varsity games. This is the kind of year where good coaches really shine.
That is a great point. I see it in NVYLL as well. The travel kids who played year round and still played through COVID in summer tournaments seem to be even further ahead. The teams that have those players on HS rosters seem to excel. Some of the traditional powers like Oakton, Woodson, Langley, Chantilly, Westfield don't have as many of these players and in the past could convert football players and basketball to play significant roles it does not seem like that has happened. I also think NVYLL should do away with AA/A/B/C upper B lower B middle C and just have A/B it helps if developing players have a chance to play with better players to raise the level of play.
SpinalTap14

Post by SpinalTap14 »

After a spring break where many teams played 3 games in a row earlier in the week I expect many injuries are healing and teams are ready to make runs. Games this week:

4/18 - Madison vs Centreville - a game the day after Easter. Ouch. Warhawks 12-5 but keep an eye on the Wildcats and Coach Miller is building on the foundation left by Coach Jefferies.
4/18 - Oakton vs Westfield - Heard Oakton has had multiple injuries to key players. If they are now healthy, look for the Cougars over the Bulldogs 10-4.
4/19 - Yorktown vs Herndon - Many of Herndon’s losses have been relatively close. Pats 14-7.
4/19 - Lake Braddock vs Fairfax - Fairfax is rebuilding with a new coach. 17-3 Bruins.
4/19 - Woodson vs South County - SOCO is rebuilding and WTW has been up and down. X Factor is these teams hate each other. 10-6 Cavs but look for the Stallions to bring their A Game.
4/20 - Riverside at Gonzaga - ‘Zaga is 10-4 with lopsided losses to St. John’s, GT Prep and Bullis. Riverside needs to get off the bus and just play. 10-9 Riverside in a thriller.
4/21 - Battlefield vs Osbourn Park. Bobcats 15-4.

WEATHER ALERT - Monday (tomorrow) forecast calls for a hard cold rain all day and low 40s with steady rain at game times. SWEAT PANTS ADVISORY. Conditions could slow down the Warhawk offense and help C-ville.
Enjoy the games VA Public HS Lax Fans!
Jumboslax27

Post by Jumboslax27 »

6A Rankings as district play gets going:

1. Robinson- They will coast through district play asides from the Lake Braddock test. Don’t expect them to lose anytime soon.

2. Battlefield- Dominated Freedom over spring break, now they can start gearing up for the 2nd Patriot game.

3. Patriot- They’ve been taking care of business, and that win over Yorktown holds up to keep them at 3. A good chance to separate themselves from Freedom this week.

4. Yorktown- They’re heating up heading into district play. Since starting the season 0-2, they haven’t lost.

5. Madison- Well coached, good technical attackman, and very strong poles. Steamrolled Chantilly to start district play. They will beat Centreville by 10+ ahead of their showdown with Oakton midweek.

6. Lake Braddock- They have probably the best duo in the class, and if they win faceoffs, they’re in any game. The question is, can they win faceoffs against Robinsons elite tag team.

7. Langley- While we’re on the topic of faceoffs… Langley has perhaps the best guy of all of them. Possessions matter, and Langley will have plenty of them in any given game. Decent 12-8 win over Mclean to start districts. Defense appears to be a bit of a weakness though.

8. Freedom SR- Disappointing result against Battlefield, but I do believe they were missing some guys. Can they bounce back vs Patriot this week?

9. Westfield- Nice start to district play by absolutely stifling the “sneaky good” Wildcats of Centreville this past week. Huge game vs Oakton tomorrow night.

10. Oakton- I’ll admit, I was a bit disappointed in seeing them only beat South Lakes 10-9 heading into their biggest week of the season so far. Westfield tomorrow is basically a battle for that #9 ranking. They also draw Madison in the midweek game, so we will get a good idea of where they stand in the district after these two tests.

HM
West Po- Heard they lost their best offensive player for the season.
Woodson- Play Lake Braddock close and they’re probably in the top 10.
Chantilly- Not sure if the defense is good enough to really do much this year, they’ve been shipping goals at alarming rates.
SoCo- Very nice win over West Po. Plenty more opportunities to continue gaining ground.
Centreville- Bad news for the Wildcats as they lost their best offensive player(by far) late in the loss to Westfield. At least the parent above me^ seems optimistic.
Mclean- They play teams close, but can’t seem to get over the hump, with the exception of their(dare I say flukey) 17-16 win over Oakton.
Laxer77

Post by Laxer77 »

This looks pretty good. West Potomac beat Westfield and Oakton head to head so I would keep them ahead of both for now but if your injury reports are accurate then they may drop out. Oakton and Westfield are very close and square off tonight. Should be a close one.
AverageLaxFan72

Post by AverageLaxFan72 »

Madison is for sure the real deal. Sorry to disappoint the Centreville homer that continues to hype them up on here, but that felt like I was watching a college team play a U-11 team. The weather, in fact, did not slow them down one bit. The scariest team in the state at this moment and have an easy win on their schedule later this week. Consider them the winners of the Concorde District by a landslide.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”