Jared Bernhardt

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by keno in reno »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:43 pm If he’s looking to play the receiver position, he would be judged on his hands, route running, catch radius, body control, etc. Teams will often choose kick returners based on pure athletic talent, with the intent of developing some of the other characteristics. JB doesn’t have the raw speed or burst that is typical of kick returners, and no one really knows about the rest of the listed characteristics because he’s never played WR in college. There are probably 50 guys coming out this year that won’t get drafted, but have better athletic traits, have trained as receivers, and are less of a gamble.
50 guys, really!? Can you list just like 30 of them, the guys who won't get drafted but have better athletic traits and are less of a gamble?
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:46 pm
MoralTerpitude wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:43 pm If he’s looking to play the receiver position, he would be judged on his hands, route running, catch radius, body control, etc. Teams will often choose kick returners based on pure athletic talent, with the intent of developing some of the other characteristics. JB doesn’t have the raw speed or burst that is typical of kick returners, and no one really knows about the rest of the listed characteristics because he’s never played WR in college. There are probably 50 guys coming out this year that won’t get drafted, but have better athletic traits, have trained as receivers, and are less of a gamble.
50 guys, really!? Can you list just like 30 of them, the guys who won't get drafted but have better athletic traits and are less of a gamble?
I can not. But i do know the number of wide receivers at the 2021 Draft Combine that ran faster than 4.70: 54. There were 36 drafted in the subsequent draft (the highest number since 2002, btw). So from the combine alone, there were at least 18 guys with better speed that went undrafted. Alot of guys are not invited to the combine. I’m willing to bet there were another 30 senior WRs across the country that ran faster than 4.7 that weren’t drafted.

On top of that, you’ve got free agents that graduated in the last few years that are looking to latch onto a practice squad.

Nearly all of those guys have played WR at at least the D1 level. Some of them have played in the pros. There is game film on them. Their tendencies, strengths, and weaknesses on the football field have been scouted. So pretty much all of them are less of a gamble than JB.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m a huge JB fan, and would love to see him make an NFL practice squad. I just think it is highly unlikely.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

I'd look Bernhardt in comparison to a few similar cases, Julian Edelman (converted run first QB - 7th Round Pick), Chris Hogan (Lacrosse player with a year of college football - UDFA), Nater Ebner (Rugby player who played a year at OSU and became an NFL special teams stalwart). Other than height they all had better measurables than JB in every category, including roughly .2 faster 40 times, and Edelman had dramatically better results in the quickness drills.

I'd be stunned if he gets drafted and pretty surprised if he gets an UDFA deal in the days after the draft. He could go the Malcolm Butler route with a rookie camp invite that turns into a free agent signing if he performs well, but the odds look quite long.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Laxxal22 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:54 pm I'd look Bernhardt in comparison to a few similar cases, Julian Edelman (converted run first QB - 7th Round Pick), Chris Hogan (Lacrosse player with a year of college football - UDFA), Nater Ebner (Rugby player who played a year at OSU and became an NFL special teams stalwart). Other than height they all had better measurables than JB in every category, including roughly .2 faster 40 times, and Edelman had dramatically better results in the quickness drills.

I'd be stunned if he gets drafted and pretty surprised if he gets an UDFA deal in the days after the draft. He could go the Malcolm Butler route with a rookie camp invite that turns into a free agent signing if he performs well, but the odds look quite long.
Edelman's a borderline hall of famer so yeah, there's sort of a big chasm between Edelman and most non-elite prospects. Jared probably doesn't compare well to Randy Moss either. He has similar or better measurables than several guys who have made a living in the NFL at similar position(s) that he could play.
sinman6

Post by sinman6 »

I would bet a lot of money that Bernhardt does not get drafted. Whatever action you wanna give me, I will take it! I will say tho, he will likely get his shot, but he will need a lot of things to go his way before he makes a roster. I would be very surprised if he ends up doing so. Still fun to watch
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

sinman6 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:00 am I would bet a lot of money that Bernhardt does not get drafted. Whatever action you wanna give me, I will take it! I will say tho, he will likely get his shot, but he will need a lot of things to go his way before he makes a roster. I would be very surprised if he ends up doing so. Still fun to watch
I don’t think that is goal. He looking for invite to training camps
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

https://twitter.com/rapsheet/status/151 ... LxsRBnn_NA
Per Ian Rapopout twitter
This is an interesting one: Former Maryland Lacrosse Tewaaraton winner Jared Bernhardt, who transferred to Ferris State and led them to the football D2 National Championship as a QB, had a top 30 visit with the Broncos yesterday. He’ll be a WR/KR in the NFL.
Seems he has also been talking to the Ravens
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

"Former Ferris State QB Jared Bernhardt is signing with the #Falcons, per source." Tom Pelissero
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Jared Bernhardt, who won the Tewaarton Trophy as the best lacrosse player in the country at Maryland and then led Ferris St. to a DII national title last year as a QB, is signing with the Falcons to play WR/KR, per source. Awesome story.

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1 ... oClPjLpb3A
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:59 pm Jared Bernhardt, who won the Tewaarton Trophy as the best lacrosse player in the country at Maryland and then led Ferris St. to a DII national title last year as a QB, is signing with the Falcons to play WR/KR, per source. Awesome story.

https://twitter.com/fieldyates/status/1 ... oClPjLpb3A
Wow. That’s impressive.

DocBarrister :shock:
@DocBarrister
MDralphie

Post by MDralphie »

Brian Mitchell was an excellent return man for at least the Skins and Philly….don’t believe he had better numbers than JB….it can happen. How can you not root for #1
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

MDralphie wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm Brian Mitchell was an excellent return man for at least the Skins and Philly….don’t believe he had better numbers than JB….it can happen. How can you not root for #1
Excellent is an understatement. Mitchell actually has the second most all-purpose yards in NFL history, behind Jerry Rice. Three time all-pro. His dash was 4.59... though not sure how reliable that number is - pre-1999 both start and finish of the dash were hand-timed at the NFL combine. He also played four years of college football.

The fact that Bernhardt was signed to an FA deal is really impressive. Hopefully he can convert this opportunity into making the Falcons roster. Definitely going to try to catch a Falcons preseason game or two on streaming.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MoralTerpitude wrote: Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:12 am
MDralphie wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:08 pm Brian Mitchell was an excellent return man for at least the Skins and Philly….don’t believe he had better numbers than JB….it can happen. How can you not root for #1
Excellent is an understatement. Mitchell actually has the second most all-purpose yards in NFL history, behind Jerry Rice. Three time all-pro. His dash was 4.59... though not sure how reliable that number is - pre-1999 both start and finish of the dash were hand-timed at the NFL combine. He also played four years of college football.

The fact that Bernhardt was signed to an FA deal is really impressive. Hopefully he can convert this opportunity into making the Falcons roster. Definitely going to try to catch a Falcons preseason game or two on streaming.
Over twelve years more or less in Atlanta in slowly becoming a fan (can’t stand matt Ryan but liked Julio, Michael Turner previously and some of the d guys) I’ll root for him. But the Falcons are in for a tough year I expect.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

How college lacrosse's top player became a rookie free-agent signing with the Atlanta Falcons
https://es.pn/3LMd5YI
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

I have a feeling he is going to get chewed up and spit out. Lacrosse is one thing; NFL players are freaks of the freaky. One wrong move and you are broken, for life.

I would cash in on my lax chips and seek a cushy sinecure in finance, or sales.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
LaxFan2000

Post by LaxFan2000 »

PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm

I have a feeling he is going to get chewed up and spit out. Lacrosse is one thing; NFL players are freaks of the freaky. One wrong move and you are broken, for life.

I wouldn't count Jared out of anything. Do it at your own peril
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

LaxFan2000 wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:03 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Thu Aug 04, 2022 8:50 pm

I wouldn't count Jared out of anything. Do it at your own peril
My own peril? How so?
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”