ODAC 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
JustOneTime

Re: ODAC 2022

Post by JustOneTime »

I'm not sure how each of the schools recruit. It is interesting to look at the rosters and see where the kids come from.
Its also worth noting how many kids are on each team.
Lynchburg has 55 kids from 15 states - MD-13, VA-11, PA-6, NC-5, GA-5, NJ-3, MA-3, OH-2, NH, IL, FL, AL, TX, DE, OR - 1 each
W&L has 54 kids from 19 states - VA-8, MD-6, NY-5, PA-4, NJ-4, MA-4, TX-4, GA-3, CT-2, CA-2, KY-2, DE-2, NC-2, NH,TN,DC,SC,FL,OH - 1 each
HSC has 52 kids from 12 states - VA-29, MD-6, NC-4, SC-3, PA-2, WA-2, MA,NY,MN,FL,CA,OH - 1 each
Roanoke has 47 kids from 21 states - VA-6, CT-5, PA-5, MD-4, NJ-3, NY-3, MA-3, TX-2, DE-2, CA-2, NC-2, OH,WI,OR,GA,MO,IL,CO,SC - 1 each
RMC has 43 kids from 2 states - VA-22, MD-17, PA-3, TN-1
BW has 43 kids from 6 states - VA-26, MD-12, PA-2, NC, OH,WV - 1 each

The roster sizes probably get a bit smaller as the season gets moving. Kids quit if they see they are never going to play or if they just really don't like a coach or the culture of the team.

Do these numbers mean anything to you?
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

A major advantage Lynchburg has is their graduate program. At times, they’ve had as many as three GA’s. I’ve heard rumblings that Roanoke is adding a few graduate programs with the new president. We’ll see. It’s clearly paid dividends for Lynchburg. Roanoke has also cut down the ticket price on tuition significantly.

Recruiting wise, much easier to send a 23 year old out on the road than the local volunteer assistants with families who only help out in season. You’re hamstrung by your budget, that’s not to say they (Roanoke, HSC, RMC) don’t run the program like a top college lacrosse program. Those three schools have one full time assistant. Granted, Lynchburg has one full time assistant but those two GA’s probably aren’t working a second job because of the classes they take. They get paid on the road. That’s why visibility is higher. Assistant coaching in d3 is a young man’s game, always has been.

But to insiders point, the ODACs down. Its completely cyclical, the conference will bounce back.
IceMan16

Post by IceMan16 »

Curious, who in the ODAC today has the best venue? or we could split it into multiple parts: best stadium/venue, best homefield advantage, best/worst fans? I have my own biases of course but would love to hear what other people think. (for me its roanoke best stadium, lynchburg/HSC best homefield advantage because of fans).
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

IceMan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 am Curious, who in the ODAC today has the best venue? or we could split it into multiple parts: best stadium/venue, best homefield advantage, best/worst fans? I have my own biases of course but would love to hear what other people think. (for me its roanoke best stadium, lynchburg/HSC best homefield advantage because of fans).
The toughest place to play without a doubt is Lynchburg. The fans are great snd they are on top of the field w the buildings surrounding it. HSC has the most picturesque and best field in the country including D1. It’s like classic like the Red Sox’s have. I hate to say this but Roanoke’s is terrific that wall brings your seat right to the edge of the field and goes up not back and your on top of the playing field. W&L is up there also coming over the bridge getting a great view of the stadium. Good question
BigFella

Post by BigFella »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:59 am
IceMan16 wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:44 am Curious, who in the ODAC today has the best venue? or we could split it into multiple parts: best stadium/venue, best homefield advantage, best/worst fans? I have my own biases of course but would love to hear what other people think. (for me its roanoke best stadium, lynchburg/HSC best homefield advantage because of fans).
The toughest place to play without a doubt is Lynchburg. The fans are great snd they are on top of the field w the buildings surrounding it. HSC has the most picturesque and best field in the country including D1. It’s like classic like the Red Sox’s have. I hate to say this but Roanoke’s is terrific that wall brings your seat right to the edge of the field and goes up not back and your on top of the playing field. W&L is up there also coming over the bridge getting a great view of the stadium. Good question
Ditto. Randy mac stadium is also underrated with the dorms all around
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

Cregger at Roanoke is an incredible facility. I would say one of the best in D3 not just the ODAC. Take a look the next time any of you are on campus for a game, it’s impressive.

Lynchburg has the best home field advantage IMO.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

It truly is a great collection of Gameday venues. Personally think Lynchburg created the best Gameday environment. When RMC finishes their renovations they may have the coolest venue. I’d like to see W&L move to the grass soccer stadium, more intimate setting, would be next to junior housing where alcohol is permitted. It would drastically help their atmosphere.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

BigFella wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:12 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:59 am
Ditto. Randy mac stadium is also underrated with the dorms all around
But the train.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

I think the HSC field is amazing. The natural grass with only the lines for lax. They need to upgrade the scoreboard though.
Lynchburg is the toughest place to play
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

JustOneTime wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm I think the HSC field is amazing. The natural grass with only the lines for lax. They need to upgrade the scoreboard though.
Most D3 schools need to update the scoreboard.
Faxlax

Post by Faxlax »

Jumbo,

I was not referring to you.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Faxlax wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:27 pm Jumbo,

I was not referring to you.
Cool. everyone here likes lax so no need to hurt feelings. I didn’t realize that saying most ODAC schools are better at academics than athletics would be so offensive. It wasn’t intended as an attack.
Oaklaxgod

Post by Oaklaxgod »

Must say this group should be changed over to ODAC 2022/ CNU :lol:

I predict a great ODAC tournament coming up. Think someone will play spoiler... maybe a cinderella run.
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:01 pm
JustOneTime wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:53 pm I think the HSC field is amazing. The natural grass with only the lines for lax. They need to upgrade the scoreboard though.
Definitely. Not a cheap venture by any stretch. Nice ones can easily get into the 6 figures. A video board like Lynchburg’s along with a reasonable but good sound system, video software, and soundboard needed to operate all systems together can jump into the 7 figure range. Not a small investment.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:09 pm
Definitely. Not a cheap venture by any stretch. Nice ones can easily get into the 6 figures. A video board like Lynchburg’s along with a reasonable but good sound system, video software, and soundboard needed to operate all systems together can jump into the 7 figure range. Not a small investment.
True. But as mentioned earlier, most ODAC schools are asking about double the average tuition. I think it is more about tradition (at least at Sydney)
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Jumbo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:32 pm
InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:09 pm
True. But as mentioned earlier, most ODAC schools are asking about double the average tuition. I think it is more about tradition (at least at Sydney)
My experience is not so much that they can’t find the money, it’s justifying the expense to administrators and being able to state how it helps all the students.
Which is always a “fun” argument to have in higher Ed.
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Roanoke struggled again defensively last night vs Bridgewater. They certainly can score though so its hard to count them out.
allthingsODAC

Post by allthingsODAC »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:49 am Roanoke struggled again defensively last night vs Bridgewater. They certainly can score though so its hard to count them out.
Defense is a struggle for them but, I think their game has evolved into just outscoring opponents, similar to the NESCA. Defense not the focus- rather like to push transition and go hard to cage. HSC struggled at first against them but once they got settled they scored with will-- unfortunately for them it took till the forth quarter. Against Mary wash defense was awful let up 16 but offense out scored
JBFortunato

Post by JBFortunato »

JustOneTime wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:49 am Roanoke struggled again defensively last night vs Bridgewater. They certainly can score though so its hard to count them out.
Pilat needs to figure the defense out, they keep running the same guys out there with the same system and expecting a different result.
Try different combos of players, move them around, and for God sake swallow your pride and get the zone out of mothballs. Wesleyan (who has a certain Roanoke lacrosse alum on the coaching stuff) held Amherst to 14 goals last night running their zone, meanwhile Roanoke allowed Bridgewater to score 14 despite Bwater turning it over 18 times and clearing at a rate of less than 50%.
Lynchburg will hang a 25-spot on them if they don't get their sht together.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

JBFortunato wrote: Thu Apr 07, 2022 9:35 am
Pilat needs to figure the defense out, they keep running the same guys out there with the same system and expecting a different result.
Try different combos of players, move them around, and for God sake swallow your pride and get the zone out of mothballs. Wesleyan (who has a certain Roanoke lacrosse alum on the coaching stuff) held Amherst to 14 goals last night running their zone, meanwhile Roanoke allowed Bridgewater to score 14 despite Bwater turning it over 18 times and clearing at a rate of less than 50%.
Lynchburg will hang a 25-spot on them if they don't get their sht together.
The O can go, no issues there whatsoever. You would think the D would be easy to fix. I was surprised W&L scored 11 against them at that point in the season W&L ‘s offense had been AWOL. With the Roanoke game they’ve made some changes and seem to be doing better on offense. I agree if your offense is potentially that potent why not try a zone get a lead and slow down your oppositions offense especially w a shot clock. Worth a try

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”