Syracuse 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Boxster54

Re: Syracuse 2019

Post by Boxster54 »

stupefied wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:13 am
Boxster54 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 am This game, moving out of the dome and onto an outside field despite the colder temperature definitely helps Duke. The dome provides a huge home field advantage for the Orange, probably the best in D1 lacrosse, and they leverage it very well. Duke has already played several games in poor weather conditions, so I would give them the advantage in this one.

Agree about Duke gaining advantage with game moving outside and away but disagree about Dome being huge advantage or leveraged well, most opponents are big time programs that get up for Dome and tv and Cuse never gets any home cooking from refs. Seems the opposite, almost like refs overcompensate and Cuse gets fairer treatment on the road
I think the lighting and site lines inside the dome can be challenging for visiting teams, especially goalies. It does take some adjusting. This is the case for most teams that play early season games in their bubbles (Penn St and ND come to mind) against visiting teams that do not have the benefit of practicing in the same conditions. Also the larger home crowds create more pro-Cuse noise that is amplified being indoors. The fans can also drink beers during the game which increases their volume levels! I'm not sure about the ref calls, but I tend to think they go more in Cuse favor than not but thats always a debatable topic!
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Boxster54 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:25 am
stupefied wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:13 am
Boxster54 wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:25 am This game, moving out of the dome and onto an outside field despite the colder temperature definitely helps Duke. The dome provides a huge home field advantage for the Orange, probably the best in D1 lacrosse, and they leverage it very well. Duke has already played several games in poor weather conditions, so I would give them the advantage in this one.

Agree about Duke gaining advantage with game moving outside and away but disagree about Dome being huge advantage or leveraged well, most opponents are big time programs that get up for Dome and tv and Cuse never gets any home cooking from refs. Seems the opposite, almost like refs overcompensate and Cuse gets fairer treatment on the road
I think the lighting and site lines inside the dome can be challenging for visiting teams, especially goalies. It does take some adjusting. This is the case for most teams that play early season games in their bubbles (Penn St and ND come to mind) against visiting teams that do not have the benefit of practicing in the same conditions. Also the larger home crowds create more pro-Cuse noise that is amplified being indoors. The fans can also drink beers during the game which increases their volume levels! I'm not sure about the ref calls, but I tend to think they go more in Cuse favor than not but thats always a debatable topic!
Just checked Boxster, last year Cuse had more penalties against than visitors in 8 out of ten home games while they had fewer in 4 out of 5 games on road. Odd right? This year penalties are 24 all after playing all six at home. After Sunday, Cuse plays all on road with exception of Cornell. Next year they will be on the road after February but perhaps all for the best call wise. Too late now to call in Cuomo and his cronies to straighten out the hometown issue lol

Think part of problem is that Desko is too much of a professional and gentlemen on sidelines while the coaches who incessantly bark and ride refs all games get rewarded. Seen it time and time again. Cuse crowds are large and knowledgeable but older and behaved. Close enough to enjoy good views but far enough for refs to be comfortable.

As far as lighting and sightlines, that has been said but Ive witness some remarkable goaltending by opposing goalies including last week and we were outperformed in cage if measured by save % last year. Cuse does not practice in the Dome, they only play their games there
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Mea Culpa - Games is on Sunday , forecast is partly sunny, high of 47 degrees with small chance of participation. With those conditions wouldn't be surprised to see a near capacity crowd.

If tailgating I wouldn't chance it with a SOLO Cup, I have one of these customized with Starbuck Logo's
https://www.trinkenstore.com/collection ... cups-combo
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks as if the gods are going to be fairly nice today, weather conditions aren't too bad for today's contest.
https://weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/ ... 13212:4:US
The Dookies come in on a roll having won seven consecutive games and only have one loss for the season.
Cuse is going to have to bring their A game, these Dookies are a pretty darn tough out. This is a scary one and Cuse really needs this W. Get your popcorn and hold on.
calourie

Post by calourie »

Phenomenal effort by Syracuse today. Terrific poise. Thoroughly entertaining game.
cantrelax

Post by cantrelax »

That was fun to watch!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

calourie wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:15 pm Phenomenal effort by Syracuse today. Terrific poise. Thoroughly entertaining game.
Funny, at last weeks Cornell Game, a friend asked me who I thought was the best team right now, and I said "you know what, the team that SCARES me the most is SYRACUSE", and he kind of looked at me strangely, but then I started listing off player after player on that team that had improved so much, and I said I thought Porter was the best goalie in the country.

SYRACUSE is without a doubt the BEST 4th quarter team, and most CLUTCH team by far this year.

Kudo's to DESKO who sometimes I feel doesnt get the respect he deserves. Right now, I would say Yale, PSU and Syracuse would be my top 3 choices to be hoisting the trophy on Memorial day.

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
CU77

Post by CU77 »

6 minutes to go, down by 4 … had 'em right where they wanted 'em …

They ought to play outdoors more often.
molo

Post by molo »

Fantastic comeback started as fans were leaving with about 6:00 left.
laxpert

Post by laxpert »

Props to the SU fans for a SRO crowd and to the College of Visual and Performing Arts Drama Department for teaching the SU player proper technique for drawing the push penalty on VonRaaphorst in the 4th.

It's going to be an exciting final six weeks of the regular season and conference championships.

The plan is to play all games in The Dome during renovations but I wouldn't be surprised to see an outdoor game while the project is underway.
Last edited by laxpert on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMac

Post by DMac »

CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 pm 6 minutes to go, down by 4 … had 'em right where they wanted 'em …

Classic Cuse, was getting hard to hold on to hope at that point. 1-1 in OT games, both games won by a four goal comeback.
Was feeling bad for the Cuse D, holding Duke to 6, 7, 8 goals and getting no help from the O. Not a flawless D but that's some tough territory to tread in, gotta love this Cuse D. Uppgren would not let one go in the cage, got some help from the pipes too. O was finally able to get a few in the cage, gotta love the effort, really gritty performance. Big win.
Still would like to see Buttermore's stick on the field for far more minutes. Really thought that down the stretch he was the kind of player Cuse needed on the field. He can draw a double and dish, stout boy who can play with contact and still be real dangerous. Has that, I want the ball and am going to make something happen mentality, and IS able to make something happen. All's well that ends well, I hope he plays more and more though.
Porter was huge...both GKs were mighty good.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes indeed, classic Cuse today... Overtime games are the best. I agree with those praising Syracuse goalie Porter. All that snow still piled up around the field made me glad I'm not up in that part of New York state.
seacoaster

Post by seacoaster »

Another great game from No. 9 and No. 17. And loved the atmosphere at CNS.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 pm
CU77 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:29 pm 6 minutes to go, down by 4 … had 'em right where they wanted 'em …

Classic Cuse, was getting hard to hold on to hope at that point. 1-1 in OT games, both games won by a four goal comeback.
Was feeling bad for the Cuse D, holding Duke to 6, 7, 8 goals and getting no help from the O. Not a flawless D but that's some tough territory to tread in, gotta love this Cuse D. Uppgren would not let one go in the cage, got some help from the pipes too. O was finally able to get a few in the cage, gotta love the effort, really gritty performance. Big win.
Still would like to see Buttermore's stick on the field for far more minutes. Really thought that down the stretch he was the kind of player Cuse needed on the field. He can draw a double and dish, stout boy who can play with contact and still be real dangerous. Has that, I want the ball and am going to make something happen mentality, and IS able to make something happen. All's well that ends well, I hope he plays more and more though.
Been a bananas-fun season, no?
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 6:33 pm

Buttermore looked overmatched by shorts and longs when he was on the field. He lost the ball on stick checks a couple times. He could not get to the center of the field. Not surprised he did not play much. Not his day.
DMac

Post by DMac »

a fan wrote
Been a bananas-fun season, no?
Indeed, more fun than a barrel of monkeys. ;)
DMac

Post by DMac »

sholokov2 wrote
Buttermore looked overmatched by shorts and longs when he was on the field. He lost the ball on stick checks a couple times. He could not get to the center of the field. Not surprised he did not play much. Not his day.
We see it a little differently shol, just watched the replay (didn't remember him looking overwhelmed). Not being argumentative, I didn't think he looked overwhelmed. Yes, he got stripped a couple of times, both were outstanding D plays by Giles-Harris. One just a world class over the top strip, incredibly nice play. The other a very nifty check with the blunt end of the stick. Drew a double a couple of times, got out it with some nifty stick work which could easily have resulted in a hockey assist but the shot missed the cage. Not his best day, but I do like his stick on the field. It's all good, all's well that ends well.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

I watched the game.I couldn't figure out why snow ringed the field? The announcer cleared things up.That is one helluva nice field.

One off topic comment: I thought Kennedy possessed "USAINIAN" speed.Curry may be faster. Those 2 and any 2 others guys (Desko and Simmons(?) could win the ACC 4 X 100 relay! :shock:
DMac

Post by DMac »

wahoomurf wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:44 pm I watched the game.I couldn't figure out why snow ringed the field? The announcer cleared things up.That is one helluva nice field.
Yup, have gone to a few games there, very nice HS field/facility. Yes sir, nice little coating of snow to ring Spring in the day before...few inches. Brush it off and face it off, it's CNY.

One off topic comment: I thought Kennedy possessed "USAINIAN" speed.Curry may be faster. Those 2 and any 2 others guys (Desko and Simmons(?) could win the ACC 4 X 100 relay! :shock:
Someone told me that Curry is faster than Kennedy. I wouldn't argue the point but will say that makes Curry one crazy fast fellow. Kennedy is unbelievably fast and when he comes up with the ball he's hell bent on getting to the other end of the field (where he can be pretty darn dangerous). Kid's a maniac, wreaks havoc and causes chaos, love watching him play....Fernandez, Mellen, and Bomberry aint bad either.
sholokov2

Post by sholokov2 »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:11 pm
sholokov2 wrote
We see it a little differently shol, just watched the replay (didn't remember him looking overwhelmed). Not being argumentative, I didn't think he looked overwhelmed. Yes, he got stripped a couple of times, both were outstanding D plays by Giles-Harris. One just a world class over the top strip, incredibly nice play. The other a very nifty check with the blunt end of the stick. Drew a double a couple of times, got out it with some nifty stick work which could easily have resulted in a hockey assist but the shot missed the cage. Not his best day, but I do like his stick on the field. It's all good, all's well that ends well.
I don't disagree and I am always interested in your comments. I watched him again trying to keep in mind the positions on the field from which he has scored. He seems to score best from up top when someone slides and turns back to feed. He can dodge but he seems most dangerous when he takes a pass from outside and whips that powerful shot. I do not think his dodges yesterday posed any problems for admittedly excellent defensive players. Were I Desko, I'd tell him to use a clock system to take positions around the weak side or center of the field. He could be a terror when he begins to find those momentarily empty spaces around the clock outside like Marr or Percovich.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”