Villanova 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
10stone5

Re: Villanova 2022

Post by 10stone5 »

The St. Ignatius kid is interesting to me.

I’ll assume Villanova has been getting West Coast
exposure with their Big East schedule,

they haven’t gotten all that many CA players that I
recall, and St. Ignatius has been the most consistent
CA lacrosse program.
chosen1lax

Post by chosen1lax »

Good to see Khan playing well in College Park. Sad to see him leave the nova nation.

Really interesting matchup this week with PSU. Last 6 meetings have resulted in a 3-3 record. The PSU LAF result was eye opening, hope the cats will have an answer for their offense.

Lastly, something that I would like the communities take on is what is up with only 1 wildcat on the top 100 recruit list. 3 Providence kids making the list is unacceptable. In 2014 NOVA had the 6th ranked freshman class and when those guys were seniors was the last time NOVA made the ncaa tournament. Not a direct correlation, but definitely helps. Just some food for thought.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

Great article in the Philadelphia Inquirer, which for those not from Philly, is a paper that rarely covers lacrosse.

https://www.inquirer.com/college-sports ... dGB9tRbWX8
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

chosen1lax wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 3:26 pm
Lastly, something that I would like the communities take on is what is up with only 1 wildcat on the top 100 recruit list. 3 Providence kids making the list is unacceptable. In 2014 NOVA had the 6th ranked freshman class and when those guys were seniors was the last time NOVA made the ncaa tournament. Not a direct correlation, but definitely helps. Just some food for thought.
Recruiting is challenging for the Villanova coaches: Limited number of scholarships. Small roster limit. Limited academic flexibility. In the big picture, the success of their recruiting over the years is impressive.
NovaLax17

Post by NovaLax17 »

Villanova transfers are doing well for the Wildcats.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/03/01/t ... ek-four-2/

"Luke Keating, A, Villanova: The Former F&M Diplomat continued his strong play with the Wildcats, tallying five points off four goals and one assist in their 16-9 win over Fairfield.

J.P. Basile, A, Villanova: A former Duke Blue Devil, Basile also had five points against the Stags, scoring three goals and dishing out two assists." (Lacrossebucket.com March 1, 2020)
Bacondoesstuff2

Post by Bacondoesstuff2 »

Hopefully they rebound this weekend against the Dutch.
NYSection1

Post by NYSection1 »

UPenn pulled out the 8-7 win over the Cats today with one second left in regulation. It was a back and forth affair all day. Strong defense by both teams. Nova is a solid team; led the Quakers 7-6 with less than two minutes left.
Bacondoesstuff2

tough one to lose. A win would have helped big time if they're up for an at large end of season. on to the next one.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

NovaLax17 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:51 pm Villanova transfers are doing well for the Wildcats.

https://lacrossebucket.com/2022/03/01/t ... ek-four-2/

"Luke Keating, A, Villanova: The Former F&M Diplomat continued his strong play with the Wildcats, tallying five points off four goals and one assist in their 16-9 win over Fairfield.

J.P. Basile, A, Villanova: A former Duke Blue Devil, Basile also had five points against the Stags, scoring three goals and dishing out two assists." (Lacrossebucket.com March 1, 2020)
G.C. "townies" are lighting it up. And Coppola is looking good at X. :)
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

Villanova looks to be in great shape heading into the Big East. I have a feeling they are going to make a nice run through the conference schedule starting at St. John's this coming weekend. The offense is really clicking with goals coming from 4-6 players each game. Tough to game plan against these guys when you have Campbell, Keating, Baskin, Daly, Basile and Goodelle ripping it from outside. And with Will Vitton winning faceoffs at a +60% rate they should be able to dominate possessions in the Big East. Defense is shaping up as well.

Not to look too far ahead, but I have a feeling that the Wildcats will be 9-3 when they host Georgetown on April 29th on the Main Line. They let Georgetown off the hook a couple times last year (8-7 and 14-12), both times in DC, but will be looking for retribution in the Big East finale. That will be a must-attend event in Philly. Should be fun.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The gap has definitely closed.
Can Villanova surpass the Pios this year.
Bacondoesstuff2

if they have any chance of making playoffs I think they need to finish at least second in BE regular season - either a win over Denver or G'Town...and then make to title game of Conference tournament.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:53 am Villanova looks to be in great shape heading into the Big East. I have a feeling they are going to make a nice run through the conference schedule starting at St. John's this coming weekend. The offense is really clicking with goals coming from 4-6 players each game. Tough to game plan against these guys when you have Campbell, Keating, Baskin, Daly, Basile and Goodelle ripping it from outside. And with Will Vitton winning faceoffs at a +60% rate they should be able to dominate possessions in the Big East. Defense is shaping up as well.

Not to look too far ahead, but I have a feeling that the Wildcats will be 9-3 when they host Georgetown on April 29th on the Main Line. They let Georgetown off the hook a couple times last year (8-7 and 14-12), both times in DC, but will be looking for retribution in the Big East finale. That will be a must-attend event in Philly. Should be fun.
The second game was in Providence in BE semis not at gU but i agree Nova is the real deal. Pollsters love win loss records. Look at Nova’s losses all to IVY and all close. Everyone loves the IVY but polls don’t give Nova credit for that. Either way I think they are vastly underrated in polls. As a Hoya backer I don’t think Georgetown underestimates them at all and will be one if not two great games between these teams this year. Also unless something changed the BET is at Georgetown this year.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

HGK wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:48 am
Henpecked wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:53 am Villanova looks to be in great shape heading into the Big East. I have a feeling they are going to make a nice run through the conference schedule starting at St. John's this coming weekend. The offense is really clicking with goals coming from 4-6 players each game. Tough to game plan against these guys when you have Campbell, Keating, Baskin, Daly, Basile and Goodelle ripping it from outside. And with Will Vitton winning faceoffs at a +60% rate they should be able to dominate possessions in the Big East. Defense is shaping up as well.

The second game was in Providence in BE semis not at gU but i agree Nova is the real deal. Pollsters love win loss records. Look at Nova’s losses all to IVY and all close. Everyone loves the IVY but polls don’t give Nova credit for that. Either way I think they are vastly underrated in polls. As a Hoya backer I don’t think Georgetown underestimates them at all and will be one if not two great games between these teams this year. Also unless something changed the BET is at Georgetown this year.
I should have been more clear. I was referring to the Big East regular season finale @ Villanova. I think that game will be for the top spot heading into the Big East Tourney. Who knows? Both team are very talented.
HGK

Post by HGK »

Ah hear you and agree.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Would be quite an accomplishment if Nova ended up getting an at large bid to the postseason. For that to happen, if they don't beat G-Town, would they have to beat everyone else? And maybe at least play the Hoyas close once?
HGK

Post by HGK »

If don’t win BET, best scenario is finish 2nd and then beat Denver twice and play Hoyas tight. Brown loss hurts but Yale loss looking better as we go. I do think even if they lose to Georgetown regular season and BE final close and beat everyone else they deserve a bid
Hoya

Post by Hoya »

HGK wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:06 pm If don’t win BET, best scenario is finish 2nd and then beat Denver twice and play Hoyas tight. Brown loss hurts but Yale loss looking better as we go. I do think even if they lose to Georgetown regular season and BE final close and beat everyone else they deserve a bid
Couldn't agree more. Villanova has been bringing it every week and had one of the 1 goal losses gone the other way it would be a totally different conversation. Top 15 or better team for sure and I really hope they make the NCAAs.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Too bad, at least from what I understand, Villanova isn't a full-funded program.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Predictions for Nova-Denver. I like Nova in this one.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”