Re: Potential New Top 20

Post by xxxxxxx »

10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

fsclax

Post by fsclax »

Seems pretty good with one glaring exception: Notre Dame (3-4) is at #13. Their only victories are Detroit Mercy, Michigan, and Cuse. That's a lot of love for "not too bad losses."
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:11 am IL top 20 is out,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/league/DI/polls
That Cornell win is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for Penn's ranking. The Duke win is a nice win, but it's not the kind of win that anyone thought it'd be at the start of the season.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:45 am

That Cornell win is doing a lot of the heavy lifting for Penn's ranking. The Duke win is a nice win, but it's not the kind of win that anyone thought it'd be at the start of the season.
Good loss team w 1 goal loss to PTon and 2 goal loss to GTown. Where would Rutgers be with UPenns schedule?
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:10 pm

Good loss team w 1 goal loss to PTon and 2 goal loss to GTown. Where would Rutgers be with UPenns schedule?
4-3? Best case
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Cornell is top 10 win. Duke and Villanova are top 20 wins. It's a strong resume when you compare it to any other team you might want to put in their spot.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

The polls are starting to coalesce and I can' argue with any of them.

But I look at the rankings - which seem about right, and can't help but think they do not reflect who stands the best chance of advancing to Mem Day Weekend.

My (biased) Final Four Predictions are as follows:
1. Maryland
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA

next four:
5. Jacksonville
6. Penn
7. Yale
8. Rutgers

...let the screaming commence... 8-)
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

HooDat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:01 pm The polls are starting to coalesce and I can' argue with any of them.

But I look at the rankings - which seem about right, and can't help but think they do not reflect who stands the best chance of advancing to Mem Day Weekend.

1. Maryland
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA

next four:
5. Jacksonville
6. Penn
7. Yale
8. Rutgers

Princeton?
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

HooDat wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:01 pm The polls are starting to coalesce and I can' argue with any of them.

1. Maryland
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA

next four:
5. Jacksonville
6. Penn
7. Yale
8. Rutgers

I like:
Maryland
Georgetown
Cornell
Princeton

Penn
Virginia
Yale
Rutgers

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:18 pm

1. Maryland
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA

next four:
5. Jacksonville
6. Penn
7. Yale
8. Rutgers

Princeton?
Thought about Princeton in that Yale or Rutger spot - even had second thoughts after clicking submit.

I think someone like a Jacksonville makes it that deep - could also be someone like the Spiders, I just think Jacksonville has earned the nod. All of this depends on seeding of course.

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:41 pm

1. Maryland
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA

next four:
5. Jacksonville
6. Penn
7. Yale
8. Rutgers

I like:
Maryland
Georgetown
Cornell
Princeton

Penn
Virginia
Yale
Rutgers

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Hard to argue with it. I tend to think Princeton is over-rated right this second (even though I admitted that I considered them for the "final 8". I've been thinking Cornell had something all season. Heard they may be getting dinged up like UVA so both may need the Trainers to be the team MVP if they make a run....

rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:41 pm

1. Maryland
2. Georgetown
3. Cornell
4. UVA

next four:
5. Jacksonville
6. Penn
7. Yale
8. Rutgers

I like:
Maryland
Georgetown
Cornell
Princeton

Penn
Virginia
Yale
Rutgers

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Seeding is going to be important this year (possibly more than usual).
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:24 pm Seeding is going to be important this year (possibly more than usual).
Yes indeed. The match-ups and how the brackets just fall out, you could have the two hottest teams playing each other early.

Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Are we going to go back to the "good loss" debate?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Wheels wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:36 pm
Are we going to go back to the "good loss" debate?
Not really I short handed it and someone maybe roll dodge elaborated that wins over Cornell, Duke and Nova is superior to the top three of many others and then I created the straw man where I was comparing it with a one loss Rutgers who’s best wins are OSU, Army (seemingly overrated without any big wins themselves and no ones noticing their loss to Lehigh as though they’ve floated up similar to Harvard) and ??. It’s wins and losses when comparing relative teams. You just cut half my point out which I was making by using the one loss team comparison. Princeton kind of pulled away easily from Rutgers. PTon scraped by UPenn a week apart. That means soemthing.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Tough loss for BU tonight vs Yale and if they lose to Princeton this weekend they could go from 13 to out of the top 20 in one week.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Consecutive losses are ugly but losing to two top 5-6 teams (at this point Yale is hot these days) shouldn’t be that punitive. Not the strongest schedule and they could easily go from 8-1 to 8-6 before PL conf play but 8-3 with wide margin going away wins over UMass (16-7), Bucknell (12-7 and not that close) and the recent blowout of Navy is probably still good enough to be in the 18-20 range. Qualitatively, they hve a fairly elite attack. I think their top 20 caliber this season. Final stretch is @ PTon, @ Loyola, @ Lehigh and vs Army. I think they split those four and end reg season at 10-4. We will aee
calourie

Post by calourie »

Good teams learn from losses (even bad ones. See Yale vs. Penn State Feb.26), not so good ones often don't recover. Remains to be seen what will happen with BU but we will find out soon enough. Interesting that Polley stuck predominantly with his starters even when the game was out of hand, but they did hang together and hopefully for them recovered some confidence.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:19 pm Consecutive losses are ugly but losing to two top 5-6 teams (at this point Yale is hot these days) shouldn’t be that punitive. Not the strongest schedule and they could easily go from 8-1 to 8-6 before PL conf play but 8-3 with wide margin going away wins over UMass (16-7), Bucknell (12-7 and not that close) and the recent blowout of Navy is probably still good enough to be in the 18-20 range. Qualitatively, they hve a fairly elite attack. I think their top 20 caliber this season. Final stretch is @ PTon, @ Loyola, @ Lehigh and vs Army. I think they split those four and end reg season at 10-4. We will aee
Perfetto is an excellent attackman. Back half of the schedule is brutal. I agree.

Joe

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”