Nassau Section VIII

HS Boys Lacrosse
kr522

Re: Nassau Section VIII

Post by kr522 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:02 am
kr522 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:06 am Good to see with Manhasset, I kind of wish they would tinker with their OOC schedule a bit and replace John Jay "rivalry" with someone from Suffolk, or back to a game vs the MIAA. looks like GC is off to a hot start.....beating up Syosset and Ward Melville. Chaminade too for that matter.
I agree with you regarding John Jay. I think you will see that rivalry go away within the next few years. It just doesn't benefit Manhasset anymore these days. St Anthony's is not a set in stone OOC matchup, so that spot will always rotate, hence the first-time matchup up in Ridgefield this season. Don't believe they have ever played them. Used to play New Canaan years back, but never Ridgefield. Would like to seem them play Fairfield Prep as well.

Potential OOO additions I would like to see added in the next few years:
Haverford School (PA)
McDonogh School (MD)
Gonzaga (DC)
Gilman School (MD)
Mount Sinai- Won't happen as long as they are both in C because most years they will meet in the LIC. Remember, CSH is in "D" this year. So it will likely be Manhasset Vs Friends Academy in the C Final or something akin to that.
Northport- Used to play them.
Ward Melville- Have never played them.
Conestoga (PA)
Seton Hall Prep (NJ)-Would really like to see this matchup
Delbarton (NJ)
Don Bosco Prep (NJ)
Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Ridgewood (NJ)

Joe

That’s a good list….if I were picking one, I’d probably rather it be a Suffolk team….it’s crazy to think they haven’t played Ward Melville in how many years (30+)? I liked that they had St A’s on the schedule, and wouldn’t have minded if that stayed in place too. Speaking of Mt Sinai, are they beatable this year?
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Outlook not so good.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

kr522 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:38 am
kr522 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:06 am Good to see with Manhasset, I kind of wish they would tinker with their OOC schedule a bit and replace John Jay "rivalry" with someone from Suffolk, or back to a game vs the MIAA. looks like GC is off to a hot start.....beating up Syosset and Ward Melville. Chaminade too for that matter.
I agree with you regarding John Jay. I think you will see that rivalry go away within the next few years. It just doesn't benefit Manhasset anymore these days. St Anthony's is not a set in stone OOC matchup, so that spot will always rotate, hence the first-time matchup up in Ridgefield this season. Don't believe they have ever played them. Used to play New Canaan years back, but never Ridgefield. Would like to seem them play Fairfield Prep as well.

Haverford School (PA)
McDonogh School (MD)
Gonzaga (DC)
Gilman School (MD)
Mount Sinai- Won't happen as long as they are both in C because most years they will meet in the LIC. Remember, CSH is in "D" this year. So it will likely be Manhasset Vs Friends Academy in the C Final or something akin to that.
Conestoga (PA)
Delbarton (NJ)
Don Bosco Prep (NJ)
Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Ridgewood (NJ)

Joe

That’s a good list….if I were picking one, I’d probably rather it be a Suffolk team….it’s crazy to think they haven’t played Ward Melville in how many years (30+)? I liked that they had St A’s on the schedule, and wouldn’t have minded if that stayed in place too. Speaking of Mt Sinai, are they beatable this year?
I wish the Chaminade vs Garden City rivalry could be resurrected. Both schools are within walking distance AND Chaminade used to have a bunch of GC kids on their roster.

BTW I doubt Mt. Sinai is beatable. Spallina is off the charts and that team is well-balanced.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

wahoomurf wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:16 pm
kr522 wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:38 am

Haverford School (PA)
McDonogh School (MD)
Gonzaga (DC)
Gilman School (MD)
Conestoga (PA)
Delbarton (NJ)
Don Bosco Prep (NJ)
Mountain Lakes (NJ)
Ridgewood (NJ)

Joe

I wish the Chaminade vs Garden City rivalry could be resurrected. Both schools are within walking distance AND Chaminade used to have a bunch of GC kids on their roster.

BTW I doubt Mt. Sinai is beatable. Spallina is off the charts and that team is well-balanced.
I wouldn't count out Manhasset. They almost did it last year and this team looks as if not better offensively. It comes down to how well they stop the supporting cast for Mount Sinai. They can beat them as long as the other's don't beat them. Plus, in Girard they have one of the best FOGO's in the country.

Joe
LI13

Post by LI13 »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:10 am
LI13 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 10:22 am
John Jay in a little bit of a down stretch. I agree though, I would like to see Manhasset play someone else. The problem is Suffolk teams only have two non-league games. I would like to see Section 11 drop the schedule down to 12 games to give the teams a little more flexibility. There's really no need for the two extra in-division games, which are almost always lopsided games.

I remember when we played a home and home with Manhasset, what a thrill. I still remember the 2006 game. Would love to see that series resume.
LI13,

2006 matchup was a great game! Molinari scored the game-winner for Manhasset I believe. Good times.

Joe
Yup. Pouring rain, we came back from down by 4 with 6 minutes left to tie it with just under a minute. Molinari scored with 8 seconds left if I remember correctly.
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

In a battle of unbeatens Cold Spring Harbor wins at Garden City 9-7.
Seahawks jumped out to a 6-1 lead and never trailed.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 6:58 pm In a battle of unbeatens Cold Spring Harbor wins at Garden City 9-7.
Seahawks jumped out to a 6-1 lead and never trailed.
I just don't think GC is as strong as usual this year on Offense. This game proved that. Kudos to CSH.

Joe
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Who won the CSH v GC faceoff battle?
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

oldbartman wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:59 pm Who won the CSH v GC faceoff battle?
No battle. GC 85% or more. But CSH goalie Will was outstanding. Not sure if they do it regularly but GC changed goalies at the half.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

Manhasset 17 Ridgefield 11 Final.

Manhasset "O" is outstanding. Going to be a tough out.

Joe
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

A nice win but to be fair Ridgefield has been just decimated with injury this year. This was going to be a stacked team but they are down many of their top players. Looking forward as all are to Set-Sinai
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

I am curious to know with 11 goals surrendered how many saves were made. I’d be surprised if it were anywhere near 11. Still the Achilles heel for this team.
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 am A nice win but to be fair Ridgefield has been just decimated with injury this year. This was going to be a stacked team but they are down many of their top players. Looking forward as all are to Set-Sinai
Agreed, still feel comfortable that the outcome wouldn't have been much different. Haven't seen the box score yet. Yes, going to be the game of the year. Sinai will likely not have possession nearly as much as they are used to.

Joe
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

Manhasset may find themselves in the unfamiliar position of wanting to slow it down.
random observer

Post by random observer »

JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:36 am
pcowlax wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:03 am A nice win but to be fair Ridgefield has been just decimated with injury this year. This was going to be a stacked team but they are down many of their top players. Looking forward as all are to Set-Sinai
Agreed, still feel comfortable that the outcome wouldn't have been much different. Haven't seen the box score yet. Yes, going to be the game of the year. Sinai will likely not have possession nearly as much as they are used to.

Joe
I would favor Manhasset over Ridgefield even at full strength, but if you think Ridgefield having their top two middies and top two (possibly top three) defenseman wouldn't have made Thursday's outcome quite different, I think you're kidding yourself.

Nonetheless I really like this Set team, and it's been great seeing them rise back to prominence these last few years. How would you say they compare to last year overall so far?
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

random observer wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:05 am
JoeMauer89 wrote: Fri Apr 15, 2022 9:36 am

Joe
I would favor Manhasset over Ridgefield even at full strength, but if you think Ridgefield having their top two middies and top two (possibly top three) defenseman wouldn't have made Thursday's outcome quite different, I think you're kidding yourself.

Nonetheless I really like this Set team, and it's been great seeing them rise back to prominence these last few years. How would you say they compare to last year overall so far?

Just a slight notch below, mainly due to their emerging youth in certain spots. I don't think the Goaltending is that big of an Achilles heel, the senior Godfrey is pretty solid. Their best goalie is actually a freshman IMO, Henry Griffith. But that's a discussion for next season. They have some real strong D-Middies that disrupt the flow between the 50's. The Attack is explosive, and arguably one of the better middies in the country in Terenzi. Liam Connor is a matchup nightmare around the crease, due to his size. I think it will be a great matchup against Sinai. Very tall task, but I think they are up to it.

Joe
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:03 pm
No battle. GC 85% or more. But CSH goalie Will was outstanding. Not sure if they do it regularly but GC changed goalies at the half.
GC has 4 goalies on their roster. Apparently the coaching staff hasn't settled on one.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:03 pm
Will was outstanding.Plenty of turnovers by GC.The possession margin means little if you squander opportunities.
kr522

Post by kr522 »

Murf - what's your assessment of GC? CSH knows how to play to their strengths every year (welcome to the party), they drive me nuts more than any opponent Manhasset faces, even if GC is the rivalry I care most about.

Manhasset plays Darien this saturday, I believe several Darien players out with COVID in their recent loss, otherwise it's a strong team this year. So will be interesting test if Darien has most of their guys back. Based on last year I'm not sure I trust the Manhasset D

will be interesting to watch GC against MtS too. the Trojans need to ratchet up the D and ball control
JoeMauer89

Post by JoeMauer89 »

kr522 wrote: Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:46 pm Murf - what's your assessment of GC? CSH knows how to play to their strengths every year (welcome to the party), they drive me nuts more than any opponent Manhasset faces, even if GC is the rivalry I care most about.

Manhasset plays Darien this saturday, I believe several Darien players out with COVID in their recent loss, otherwise it's a strong team this year. So will be interesting test if Darien has most of their guys back. Based on last year I'm not sure I trust the Manhasset D

will be interesting to watch GC against MtS too. the Trojans need to ratchet up the D and ball control
I think Manhasset will beat Darien in a close matchup, something like 15-12, or akin to that. The defense is young with lots of potential and improving. Their Offense is another level though.

Joe

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”