Duke

D1 Womens Lacrosse
OuttaNowhereWregget

Re: Duke

Post by OuttaNowhereWregget »

user1020 wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 9:25 pm
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:30 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:55 am Sure the selection committee rewards them for scheduling like this. But you called out MD for "ducking" UNC and Cuse this year. At least MD is still playing UVA, Florida, Penn, JMU and Princeton OOC. Dukes best OOC game is Penn. Their second toughest OOC game is Davidson.
No comparison. Maryland is the greatest women’s lacrosse program of all time. They should be called out for ducking other teams, especially after SnowGait. Duke hasn’t even made it to the NCAA championship game, let alone won it. Plus, I don’t deny Duke’s ducking. But it’s just not even close to what the Terps are doing recently.
I may be biased because I do not like Duke. I will admit MD is ducking by not scheduling UNC or Cuse, but they still have UVA, FL, Penn, JMU, & Princeton. I would’ve liked for MD to keep a UNC and Cuse on their schedule, but they have 5 other non conferences games against ranked opponents. Duke has one OOC game against ranked opponents. A team in the top 10, currently #6, should not be playing one OOC ranked team, especially against a Penn team that did not play last year (same can be said for MD scheduling Penn and Princeton). MD is ducking I won’t make excuses, but how can a top 10 team not find any other ranked teams to play? Do their coaches not schedule hard teams, or do ranked teams not want to play Duke for some reason?
I think it's just as others have alleged--Duke is deliberately taking the easy road by not scheduling any tough opponents outside their conference so they can be assured a coveted ticket to the Dance. Nothing mysterious about it.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Cute

Lax247

Post by Lax247 »

OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:34 am
hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:55 am Sure the selection committee rewards them for scheduling like this. But you called out MD for "ducking" UNC and Cuse this year. At least MD is still playing UVA, Florida, Penn, JMU and Princeton OOC. Dukes best OOC game is Penn. Their second toughest OOC game is Davidson.
No comparison. Maryland is the greatest women’s lacrosse program of all time. They should be called out for ducking other teams, especially after SnowGait. Duke hasn’t even made it to the NCAA championship game, let alone won it. Plus, I don’t deny Duke’s ducking. But it’s just not even close to what the Terps are doing recently.
I may be biased because I do not like Duke. I will admit MD is ducking by not scheduling UNC or Cuse, but they still have UVA, FL, Penn, JMU, & Princeton. I would’ve liked for MD to keep a UNC and Cuse on their schedule, but they have 5 other non conferences games against ranked opponents. Duke has one OOC game against ranked opponents. A team in the top 10, currently #6, should not be playing one OOC ranked team, especially against a Penn team that did not play last year (same can be said for MD scheduling Penn and Princeton). MD is ducking I won’t make excuses, but how can a top 10 team not find any other ranked teams to play? Do their coaches not schedule hard teams, or do ranked teams not want to play Duke for some reason?
I think it's just as others have alleged--Duke is deliberately taking the easy road by not scheduling any tough opponents outside their conference so they can be assured a coveted ticket to the Dance. Nothing mysterious about it.
Have you looked at BCs schedule ?? They play NU …that’s it - the rest of games easy ….. let’s play every easy local Ivy and Mass teams. Please
OuttaNowhereWregget

Lax247 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:38 pm
Have you looked at BCs schedule ?? They play NU …that’s it - the rest of games easy ….. let’s play every easy local Ivy and Mass teams. Please
Don’t forget at Denver. NU and Denver are pretty decent. (Not that BC was part of the discussion but) BC’s OOC schedule easily a higher degree of difficulty than Duke’s.

Post script: But aside from all that, I’m a big fan of Duke. Read back through the thread.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:10 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:35 am I don't get the heat generated by Duke's '22 flakey puff schedule--like they're getting away with something. Let's say they make the NCAA's because of their OOC schedule combined with ACC bias. Then what? They'll get bounced in the first or second round, or if they get really lucky, they'll make it to the quarters before being dismissed. Does anyone think they'll make any noise in the ACC conference championship against BC, NC or Syracuse? I just don't get the indignation.
I have personal issues with Duke that go back to Ds recruitment. So, I like to grumble about the over-rated BDevils. Then the seeding thing last year really tuned me up. Just because they play in a great conference, just because they play good in-conf teams, isn't a reason to give a higher seed in the NCAAs than other teams that are arguably better (eye test). They were 9-6 last year in the regular season. It is a bias to the ACC and the politics of Duke's legacy.

It is more ludicrous with this '22 Duke team, because they are padding their schedule to be qualified for an At-Large bid. Their first 6 games ensures that they will be probably around 13-4/12-5 after going 4-4/3-5 in ACC regular season. They will win one game in ACC Tourney before losing. So SWAG of 15-5/14-6 before the NCAAs. That probably looks good to the committee and I am sure they will get good RPI from conference play. But as others have mentioned...when your OOC schedule assures you of 8 wins, before they even play on the field, the snarkiness goes up a few notches. Then the recent RUTS that they have had,rub me the wrong way.

I know you like Duke. That's OK. I know plenty of people that do. I don't.

[edit] you can turn the argument above to many teams (including Loyola), so I am not living in a glass house, just dont buy into Duke and I love to pile on.
[/quote

Duke player D1 player of week with 29 points through 4 games

This goes back to two of my worst hang ups : rewarding players for junk goals against weak teams and clear stat padding . Gets rewarded . Drives me crazy . But the teams that play a more difficult schedule and coaches that try to get bench involved gets overlooked . If they had left my kid in weak games she could score 15 points a game …but our coach didnt play a weak OOC schedule and starters were usually out end of first half .
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Thought I would watch Duke game for a few as have some mutual friends kids playing for ECU. Wow hard to watch…..it should be interesting go to see how Duke’s D does against syracuse this weekend as it’s largely been untested through 6 games .
OuttaNowhereWregget

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:28 pm …..it should be interesting to see how Duke’s D does against Syracuse this weekend as it’s largely been untested through 6 games.
Yes--looking forward to that matchup too. Could end up being a shootout. Last possession wins. In some respects, we'll see if Duke deserves their top 10 ranking after this one.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Laxfan500 wrote: Mon Feb 28, 2022 5:28 pm

Duke scored their 19th goal of the game with about 12 seconds left with some starters still in the game.
Thought I would watch Duke game for a few as have some mutual friends kids playing for ECU. Wow hard to watch…..it should be interesting go to see how Duke’s D does against syracuse this weekend as it’s largely been untested through 6 games .
OuttaNowhereWregget

I'm on the record for being a Duke fan, but I'm looking to see them get some comeuppance for their OOC schedule. I don't think anyone will totally drag them this year as they usually play the big dogs tough for the most part. I would like to see them lose to the upper echelon ranked teams however. If there happens to be a blowout--so much the better. I don't think trying to finagle an at-large bid by taking an easy road should be rewarded.

Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Laxfan500 wrote: Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:06 am
Dr. Tact wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 8:10 am
OuttaNowhereWregget wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:35 am I don't get the heat generated by Duke's '22 flakey puff schedule--like they're getting away with something. Let's say they make the NCAA's because of their OOC schedule combined with ACC bias. Then what? They'll get bounced in the first or second round, or if they get really lucky, they'll make it to the quarters before being dismissed. Does anyone think they'll make any noise in the ACC conference championship against BC, NC or Syracuse? I just don't get the indignation.
I have personal issues with Duke that go back to Ds recruitment. So, I like to grumble about the over-rated BDevils. Then the seeding thing last year really tuned me up. Just because they play in a great conference, just because they play good in-conf teams, isn't a reason to give a higher seed in the NCAAs than other teams that are arguably better (eye test). They were 9-6 last year in the regular season. It is a bias to the ACC and the politics of Duke's legacy.

It is more ludicrous with this '22 Duke team, because they are padding their schedule to be qualified for an At-Large bid. Their first 6 games ensures that they will be probably around 13-4/12-5 after going 4-4/3-5 in ACC regular season. They will win one game in ACC Tourney before losing. So SWAG of 15-5/14-6 before the NCAAs. That probably looks good to the committee and I am sure they will get good RPI from conference play. But as others have mentioned...when your OOC schedule assures you of 8 wins, before they even play on the field, the snarkiness goes up a few notches. Then the recent RUTS that they have had,rub me the wrong way.

I know you like Duke. That's OK. I know plenty of people that do. I don't.

[edit] you can turn the argument above to many teams (including Loyola), so I am not living in a glass house, just dont buy into Duke and I love to pile on.
[/quote

Duke player D1 player of week with 29 points through 4 games

This goes back to two of my worst hang ups : rewarding players for junk goals against weak teams and clear stat padding . Gets rewarded . Drives me crazy . But the teams that play a more difficult schedule and coaches that try to get bench involved gets overlooked . If they had left my kid in weak games she could score 15 points a game …but our coach didnt play a weak OOC schedule and starters were usually out end of first half .
Something interesting that was brought to my attention- thought I would pass it on. Both North and Cat Barry (Duke) tied for same and most amount of goals this season. Both teams play easy OOC schedule from here on out… would be interesting if a kid from Duke ultimately breaks North’s single season goals record . Ironic you might say - what with North leaving Duke to go win a natty with BC.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Let's hope not because it will be the product of one of the most pathetic OOC schedules in the history of a Top 10 team. BTW - Duke will not be good enough to play enough games in the ACC and NCAA tournament.
Laxfan500

Post by Laxfan500 »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:40 pm Let's hope not because it will be the product of one of the most pathetic OOC schedules in the history of a Top 10 team. BTW - Duke will not be good enough to play enough games in the ACC and NCAA tournament.
You never know . Some teams get hot at right time .
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:40 pm Let's hope not because it will be the product of one of the most pathetic OOC schedules in the history of a Top 10 team. BTW - Duke will not be good enough to play enough games in the ACC and NCAA tournament.
It is hard to listen to the broadcast of Duke vs. Pitt ... Sheehan gushing about Duke being "the BEST scoring offense in division 1". This is why schedule-padding works. No one remembers that their OOC schedule this year is a joke. HA! Shooting 52% ... top 5 in the country. Good lord, my sweet aunt Minnie
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

4-4, 6 min left in half…
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

5-4 Pitt
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:34 pm
It is hard to listen to the broadcast of Duke vs. Pitt ... Sheehan gushing about Duke being "the BEST scoring offense in division 1". This is why schedule-padding works. No one remembers that their OOC schedule this year is a joke. HA! Shooting 52% ... top 5 in the country. Good lord, my sweet aunt Minnie
I remember, but your point is right on....Even the praise for #19 as the leading scorer in the country was a bit misguided. It is/was a true statement, but really, when scoring 7,8,11 points in games against LSOTP, it is degraded in my mind. #19 is a good player, is she CN, nope. Is she JO, nope. is she (insert your favorite here), nope. Her scoring is going to start dropping (you saw it yesterday 2+0) as they play better teams. As always, JMO.
OuttaNowhereWregget

Apart from choking away a win in Syracuse earlier in the year being their only blemish, Duke now stands at 13-1 with a 4-1 record in conference. Yesterday, Katie DeSimone (4G 1A) and her teammates defeated ACC rival #15 Virginia 13-8. Their opponents have gotten more difficult over the past weeks but Duke keeps winning. The rest of the way is at VT; vs BC and finally at Carolina to end the regular season. It remains top be seen what Duke does in the postseason but they're doing pretty well up to this point.

DMac

Post by DMac »

Did they choke away a win or did Cuse make adjustment after the first quarter and play the way they're capable of playing for the last three quarters outscoring Duke 16-7?
OuttaNowhereWregget

DMac wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:03 am Did they choke away a win or did Cuse make adjustment after the first quarter and play the way they're capable of playing for the last three quarters outscoring Duke 16-7?
They choked. When you’re up that big you have to finish. Duke also had a 4 goal lead at halftime.

https://goduke.com/sports/womens-lacros ... core/20442
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't know what your link is showing me, I know what the score was at the end of one but you don't win games at the end of one, it's a sixty minute game. You don't win games at the half either. You give zero credit to the team who fought back and didn't lay down because they were behind on the scoreboard when you say Duke choked. Cuse regrouped after taking a punch in the face and fought back to take the W, this is not a choke by Duke, it's hard fought victory by Cuse.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”