Dartmouth 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
joewillie78

Re: Dartmouth 2022

Post by joewillie78 »

Congrats to the BIG Green. You kept our Ivy League unbeaten streak from this past weekend intact. The IVY LEAGUE is incredibly tough this year and that includes Dartmouth.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

GO BIG GREEN!

Hincks with 20 saves, game ball. AA caliber tender does it again.

Won the GB battle despite not at the X, Prince with 4pts and Lapina with 3. Lots of hustle plays.

I confess I hadn't been sanguine about taking this one, given what Vermont had shown in the season to date, including whomping on Penn State and Bryant, so this deserves serious kudos.

On the down side, 15 of 29 clears, with 29 TO's is crazy bad. Absolutely must clean that up if gonna win some Ivy contests.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Go Big Green and Danny Hincks! That's a great win. Congrats to the team and coaches.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Congrats to Danny Hincks for being added to the Tewaaraton watch list !

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... list/59100
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:32 pm Congrats to Danny Hincks for being added to the Tewaaraton watch list !

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... list/59100
Very cool and well deserved!!!

Not trying to be a wise guy -- sincere question here: Who was the last Dartmouth player to be on the Tewaaraton watch list?
kaysejo

Post by kaysejo »

Maybe Ari Sussman? Very solid attackman.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

kaysejo wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:11 pm Maybe Ari Sussman? Very solid attackman.
Could well have been. Ari was terrific. Nick Bonnaci before him, 2xAA, and before those two AA's there were several clustered together, Grinnell and Coffin come to mind. Casey Hintgen '10 was a decorated defenseman and before him Patrick Keeley. Last super goalie was Andrew Goldstein.

https://dartmouthsports.com/sports/2018 ... spx?id=916
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

There a guy from 79-80 who clearly didn’t deserve it! :)
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

Really happy Dartmouth getting some W’s. I fear they won’t be able to win an Ivy game if they don’t clear at a much higher level. Their stick work will only improve so much during the season, but they can space the field and break out much better. Maybe?… they can surprise Harvard or possibly Brown on the right day! But even if not, they seem to be headed in a noticeably better direction. Hincks is just fun to watch, but they sure make it hard on him!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:39 pm There a guy from 79-80 who clearly didn’t deserve it! :)
;)
Actually, our Jeff Hickey '79 was pretty darn special. IMO
Heck of a linebacker too.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Voyuer wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 2:17 pm Really happy Dartmouth getting some W’s. I fear they won’t be able to win an Ivy game if they don’t clear at a much higher level. Their stick work will only improve so much during the season, but they can space the field and break out much better. Maybe?… they can surprise Harvard or possibly Brown on the right day! But even if not, they seem to be headed in a noticeably better direction. Hincks is just fun to watch, but they sure make it hard on him!
I think they have the sticks to do far better, but I very much agree on spacing; hopefully this is a function of not having been outside in game situations enough, but they seem to me to be going to a spot on the field rather than finding the gaps and exploiting them. I also want to see some key guys come back to the ball to make it easier off the save and control, if the fast break isn't there. But it's that next pass that requires the guys to find the gaps, read the ride.

I'd bet that the coaches are working on this...if they can get some decent weather!

I think there are multiple teams in the IL that have vulnerabilities; gonna be tough to beat any of them, but none are purely impossible.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Agree with the above. Bill Ritch and Dud went nuts if you didn't move to the ball and open space to help out, as it was a fundamental. No mercy for complicating a game of keep away when you had numbers. My psychiatrist and I are still working though my lax version of PTSD triggered by BR's "stare/silent treatment/gasket gonna blow" looks. Shots and pills and boxes of Kleenex are not working! :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:36 pm Agree with the above. Bill Ritch and Dud went nuts if you didn't move to the ball and open space to help out, as it was a fundamental. No mercy for complicating a game of keep away when you had numbers. My psychiatrist and I are still working though my lax version of PTSD triggered by BR's "stare/silent treatment/gasket gonna blow" looks. Shots and pills and boxes of Kleenex are not working! :D
:lol: yup!

No disrespect to St. Johns, but a good game to get some of the kinks worked on.

17-7 with 11:48 left and liberal substitutions.

Hincks didn't need a big game for a change, as Dartmouth dominated the GB's, shots, shots on goal, etc. despite being just a smidgen better than even at X (will likely need to be close to 50% to win in Ivies). Big improvement in clearing 23 of 23.

Gave up 2 of 7 penalties...need to work on not fouling quite so much?
Voyuer

Post by Voyuer »

A reminder for all of US old folks, that clearing is a much different animal now, then when we played. 20 seconds only, to get ball across the midline and in general the opponents attack men are much more athletic. Very little time to read the ride and get to open space, and a much greater reliance on quickly getting to your 4-corners and one up.. and make the riders cover the entire field. The clearing team only has time to redirect the ball from one side to the other, once, and even that must be done swiftly. In summary I am saying telling your mids to come back to the ball or move to open space, is no longer optimal. Only one mid can do that, hero type clear, and the other two get to their wide spots..As far as Coach Ritchie related PTSD, I still have a dream we are at home playing Cornell, and I am in locker room and can’t find my stick and other equipment! And I am missing the game!!
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Voyuer wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:53 am A reminder for all of US old folks, that clearing is a much different animal now, then when we played. 20 seconds only, to get ball across the midline and in general the opponents attack men are much more athletic. Very little time to read the ride and get to open space, and a much greater reliance on quickly getting to your 4-corners and one up.. and make the riders cover the entire field. The clearing team only has time to redirect the ball from one side to the other, once, and even that must be done swiftly. In summary I am saying telling your mids to come back to the ball or move to open space, is no longer optimal. Only one mid can do that, hero type clear, and the other two get to their wide spots..As far as Coach Ritchie related PTSD, I still have a dream we are at home playing Cornell, and I am in locker room and can’t find my stick and other equipment! And I am missing the game!!
Yikes...I still have that dream about classes, not knowing where the classroom is, but ouch, you've now implanted a new one for me! :lol:

Yes, the process needs to happen quite swiftly with the midfielder...but it's still all about feeling the space, not simply running to a spot. The break out happens with the guys up high, but if a middie is down low, he comes to the ball, not away, unless there's a short intermediate lane he can take. Short, early pass. The idea is to get the ball transitioned before the defense has a chance to set up, especially with a 10 man. I'm not talking about the sort of thing we were forced to do back in our era when we didn't have the defense poles who could handle smoothly any long passes...it was really ugly some years. But my first two years, we did have two blazingly fast midfielders, B. Taylor and John Carney, who could leg it out on their own, so on any set opportunity, they'd come back and do a 'hero' clear. That rarely can work these days off a set clear, though if you have a Ryan Conrad, makes sense to give him the green light.

On set clears, I quite agree about time, yes, one pass to side, one redirect at maximum (whether through or over goalie) and up; needs to be quick...but what I'm also saying is that the 'read' is not so much what the ride is as moving to space, whatever the ride. If defenders seem locked on, gotta give a fake and break to space...but can't be stationary. If defenders seem to be protecting space (zone-like) then gotta fill under or over, giving a clean passing lane...preferably short such. Gotta move and keep moving.

Ideally, the goalie needs to be very vocal, directing the clear, but nothing works if guys don't move to space, create passing lanes. and it's not one guy, it's multiple.

Appears that the team has been working on this!
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Damn. I thought I was the only one with "where is the test classroom?" and "stuck in the locker room forgetting my combination while the game is being played" vivid dreams. One or two more of us and they are going to have to add the affliction to the American Psychiatric Association's next Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders update! :shock: :lol:

Wondering if anyone is planning on attending the event Dud sent an email regarding?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

I have those classroom dreams; kind of assumed all college grads do.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:28 am Damn. I thought I was the only one with "where is the test classroom?" and "stuck in the locker room forgetting my combination while the game is being played" vivid dreams. One or two more of us and they are going to have to add the affliction to the American Psychiatric Association's next Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders update! :shock: :lol:

Wondering if anyone is planning on attending the event Dud sent an email regarding?
I don't think I can get there unfortunately, but still looking at possibilities.
Might figure it out.
Would love to get such a group together, sometime, though.

forgetting my combination...yes, that too!
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Damn. Us Dartmouth guys are chock-a-block full of inner demons. Wonder what that means?!?! ;)
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Wow -- what a gallant showing by the Big Green and goaltender Danny Hincks against Cornell today -- they are so damn close to picking up the Ivy win that has eluded the program for so long. They've got more chances before the Ivy slate concludes but whew, I thought they might do it today. Unlike the prior two games against two very good opponents, OSU and Harvard, in which Dartmouth was able to hang in for a half but got worn down and looked like they maybe didn't have the depth for 60 minutes against a high quality opponent, they were in it down to the very final seconds. Impressive.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”