January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
cradleandshoot

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by cradleandshoot »

dislaxxic wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:10 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:25 amThen prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.
Brilliant bit of analysis there Baloney Boy. Where ya been this past 5 years? Huh? Whaddaya think we been TALKIN' about all this time?

Careful with that kind of ask...people might get the idea you're a closet Far Left Progressive or somethin' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where have you been banana boy?? I have only stated here dozens of times if trump is suspected of something then arrest his ass, drag him in from Mara Lago to a court of law in the proper venue. Do you keep coming in and out of this catatonic state where you only read or pay attention to some details and ignore others??? You would know where I have been for the past 5 years if you extricated your head from your rear end for a few hours a day so you can come up for fresh air. I'm not a closet FLP, if you had actually paid attention over the years, which you have not, i have more FLP in me than you will ever know. The issue is that the modern day FLP movement walked away from their roots around the time of Jimmy Carter. I never left my FLP roots jaundice boy, you and your modern day FLP types abandoned all of us.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:09 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:02 am Meanwhile....

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... vestigate/

"“A coup in search of a legal theory.”

That was the sober, and apt, assessment made this week of former president Donald Trump’s attempt to overturn the 2020 election — not by a partisan or pundit, but in an opinion by a federal judge. And although that ruling, by U.S. District Judge David O. Carter, did not decide a criminal case, it ought to presage one.

We don’t know whether the Justice Department has been considering criminal charges against Trump, or whether it will. We do know that Attorney General Merrick Garland, in a speech commemorating the one-year anniversary of the Capitol insurrection, vowed that the Justice Department was “committed to holding all Jan. 6th perpetrators, at any level, accountable under law — whether they were present that day or were otherwise criminally responsible for the assault on our democracy.”

Carter’s conclusion makes clear that, for the attorney general’s commitment to be met, the Justice Department’s criminal investigation of Jan. 6 must focus closely on Trump.

The court’s ruling came in a lawsuit that one of Trump’s lawyers, John Eastman, brought against the select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. Eastman served as the legal architect of Trump’s effort to pressure then-Vice President Mike Pence to refuse to count numerous states’ electoral votes on Jan. 6. Eastman asserted his Fifth Amendment right against self-incrimination 146 times at his deposition before the select committee. His lawsuit argued that some of his emails should be kept from the committee because they were shielded by either attorney-client privilege or “work product” privilege, which protects confidential documents prepared for litigation.

The opinion by Carter, a former prosecutor nominated to the bench by President Bill Clinton, makes clear Eastman has good reason to worry about criminal consequences. The attorney-client and work-product privileges must give way if they involve communications that further the commission of a fraud or crime. And Carter found that at least one of the emails did just that.

Carter’s decision was at once pedestrian and remarkable. Pedestrian, because all the 44-page opinion did was methodically recite the law and apply it to the facts. Remarkable, because of where its analysis inexorably led: that a sitting president of the United States, with the help of his lawyer, “more likely than not” violated two federal criminal laws in a desperate effort to keep himself illegally in power.

One of those statutes, 18 U.S.C. § 1512(c), says you can’t “obstruct” or “impede” “any official proceeding,” or even attempt to do so, if you act “corruptly.” The other, 18 U.S.C. § 371, prohibits people from conspiring “to defraud the United States … in any manner or for any purpose.”

These laws clearly cover the congressional counting of electoral votes. The obstruction statute defines “official proceedings” to include “a proceeding before Congress.” Carter became the 11th federal judge in the past four months to hold that the term encompasses the joint session held last Jan. 6.

The law punishing conspiracies to defraud sweeps even more broadly. As Chief Justice William Howard Taft explained for a unanimous Supreme Court a century ago, the language is “broad enough” to cover not only financial frauds, but also “any conspiracy for the purpose of impairing, obstructing, or defeating the lawful function of any department of government.”

For Eastman and Trump, the question boils down to state of mind: whether they acted “corruptly” under the obstruction law, or with the requisite “deceit” or dishonesty under the conspiracy law. And that’s where Carter’s recitation of the facts comes in. Both men, he found, “likely knew” their allegations of electoral fraud were “baseless, and therefore that the entire plan” to stop or delay the electoral-vote count "was unlawful.”

Trump was told, again and again, by “numerous credible sources,” that “there was no evidence of election fraud,” Carter noted. The Department of Homeland Security’s cybersecurity agency said so. An internal Trump campaign memo said so. Trump’s own attorney general, William P. Barr, told Trump as well. So did other Justice Department officials. The vice president told Trump there was no basis not to count the electoral votes. Georgia’s secretary of state said there was no fraud in his state (to which Trump notoriously responded, look, just find one more vote than I need). And over 60 lawsuits on Trump’s behalf went down in flames.

Whether all that, along with other evidence, would suffice to establish criminal intent beyond a reasonable doubt — the burden of proof needed for a criminal conviction — can be left for another day. The point for now is that Carter’s conclusion, that the evidence uncovered so far is more than sufficient to overcome the claimed privileges — is also more than enough to justify a thorough federal criminal investigation of Trump himself, if one isn’t underway already.

A prosecution would involve a novel application of both statutes. But that’s only because never before have we had anyone, let alone a president, try to corruptly obstruct a proceeding so important, or to dishonestly defeat a governmental function so fundamental, as the counting of electoral votes.

As Carter put it, if “Eastman and President Trump’s plan had worked, it would have permanently ended the peaceful transition of power” under the Constitution — by any reckoning, they attempted a coup.

If the law prohibits anything, it ought to prohibit that. And if anything seems like a worthy — indeed, unavoidable — subject for investigation, Trump’s conduct is it."
The federal prosecutors think they have a very strong case. The problem is it is a very complex case that most juries will scratch their heads over trying to figure out. I'm guessing reasonable doubt still comes in to play here. Your a distinguished member of the bar counselor. Would you rather be the prosecutor or the defense??? I'm guessing that the defense has the advantage here. What say you???
I'm not and never have been a criminal lawyer. Defense has the advantages here, if only insofar as the prosecution must bear the burden of production and proof. The biggest concern for either side will be the jury pool -- Metropolitan DC? The "Defendant" in such a case is going to see the case tried in Washington, not in Northern Virginia.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:21 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:25 amThen prosecute him to the fullest extent of the law.
Brilliant bit of analysis there Baloney Boy. Where ya been this past 5 years? Huh? Whaddaya think we been TALKIN' about all this time?

Careful with that kind of ask...people might get the idea you're a closet Far Left Progressive or somethin' :lol: :lol: :lol:

Where have you been banana boy?? I have only stated here dozens of times if trump is suspected of something then arrest his ass, drag him in from Mara Lago to a court of law in the proper venue. Do you keep coming in and out of this catatonic state where you only read or pay attention to some details and ignore others??? You would know where I have been for the past 5 years if you extricated your head from your rear end for a few hours a day so you can come up for fresh air. I'm not a closet FLP, if you had actually paid attention over the years, which you have not, i have more FLP in me than you will ever know. The issue is that the modern day FLP movement walked away from their roots around the time of Jimmy Carter. I never left my FLP roots jaundice boy, you and your modern day FLP types abandoned all of us.
Carter days
You were a McGovern supporter?
He wasn't the most far left of those running, but certainly 'left'.
What attracted you to his views and do you still hold them today...which views?

Or do you need to go further back, say to Johnson?
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:55 amOr do you need to go further back, say to Johnson?
yeah, Andrew Johnson! :lol: :lol:

"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

ALL THE SCHEMING AT THE WILLARD ONLY MATTERS BECAUSE OF THE BODIES OCCUPYING THE CAPITOL AND THREATENING PENCE
There are, surely, other crimes that Trump might be investigated for — most notably his attempt to pressure Brad Raffensperger. But the way DOJ has been conceiving of the crime of January 6 from the start was as that successful (but temporary) obstruction of the vote count. All the people who seem to think an investigation into Trump would be somehow separate from that seem to be conceiving all that other corruption as separate from the dual effort to pressure Mike Pence with literal death threats and to occupy the Capitol and prevent the vote certification from taking place. This is why the people who claim you’ll never get to Trump through Alex Jones and Roger Stone are so mistaken: because it’s the actions Jones took leading the mob to add bodies to the attack and Stone took coordinating with the militias that most directly tie Trump to the actual effect on the official proceeding.

I am certain, and have been since well before August, that DOJ is investigating the ways that Donald Trump played a central role in getting bodies to the Capitol that had the effect of threatening the life of his Vice President (and Nancy Pelosi and even Mitch McConnell) and temporarily obstructing the vote certification. The overt signs of that investigation are not, as Ben has been looking for, subpoenas to witnesses in the Willard (in part because Roger Stone would never be subpoenaed). Rather, it is in getting sworn testimony that after Donald Trump sent out tweets about the riot in December, people took that as an order from Trump, and set themselves to buying plane tickets and buying body armor. It is in getting cooperating witnesses about the ways the militias that gave structure to the mob were working in tandem with Trump’s rat-heck. It is in developing evidence that Trump’s false claim that he would join them at the Capitol — repeated by his Pied Piper Alex Jones — convinced people who otherwise would never have gone to the Capitol to do so. It is in getting sworn testimony that after Trump attacked Pence in his speech, people responded by decrying Pence while still at the rally and then continued to threaten Pence once they had moved to the Capitol.

I’m less certain DOJ is investigating Eastman but if they are, it would be for the reasons that Greg Jacob laid out: that Eastman’s lies played a part in getting bodies to the Capitol to threaten Pence’s life and that Eastman and Trump had the intent of using such threats to convince Pence to throw out the legal votes. It’s not his bad faith legal arguments that are illegal, it’s the way those bad faith legal arguments served to get bodies to the Capitol on January 6.
"The purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog." - Calvin, to Hobbes
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:55 am

Carter days

Boy did you miss some of my earlier posts. I will give you some hints.. my mom was old school devout Roman Catholic. I'll let you figure out my ingrained democratic beliefs... Why would a devout Roman Catholic woman like my mom support a guy named???.. My mom was Irish... everyone on her side of the family was Irish. If memory serves me correct I think the Democrat candidate in 1960 was an Irish Catholic. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My mom's highest honor as a US citizen was voting for whoever that guy was who ran for POTUS in 1960. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong that guy was the guy your HERO some guy named Nixon ran against... So tell the Fanlax members one more time WHY you were a rabid supporter of the guy who ran against that Irish Catholic kid?? I have no other reason for posting this out of personal amusement. It won't take very long for the blimps hair to catch fire and start harassing you with stupid chit about your buddy Nixon. :D
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

cradleandshoot wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:06 pm

Carter days

Boy did you miss some of my earlier posts. I will give you some hints.. my mom was old school devout Roman Catholic. I'll let you figure out my ingrained democratic beliefs... Why would a devout Roman Catholic woman like my mom support a guy named???.. My mom was Irish... everyone on her side of the family was Irish. If memory serves me correct I think the Democrat candidate in 1960 was an Irish Catholic. Please correct me if I'm wrong. My mom's highest honor as a US citizen was voting for whoever that guy was who ran for POTUS in 1960. I believe, and correct me if I am wrong that guy was the guy your HERO some guy named Nixon ran against... So tell the Fanlax members one more time WHY you were a rabid supporter of the guy who ran against that Irish Catholic kid?? I have no other reason for posting this out of personal amusement. It won't take very long for the blimps hair to catch fire and start harassing you with stupid chit about your buddy Nixon. :D
your mom was a Dem and that's all you have?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:34 am

Carter days

You seriously have never paid attention to my family history I have posted on this forum many times. My entire family going back to WW2 have all been rock solid democrats. So you, as a pimple faced young republican spent your early years licking Richard Nixons wingtips. Your propensity for poor judgement back then is suppose to excuse your poor judgement today??? IMO you waste valuable hours on this forum trying to make amends for being a boot licking Nixon accolade back in the day. I'm still stunned that the Blimp hasn't called you out yet. I can read its tripe right now... Your buddy Nixon.... :D I know you fervently claim to be an old school conservative republican. I'm still waiting for that post from you that actually supports your alleged claims. My Democrat mom would have had the perfect term for you... Blue Blood Rockefeller Republican through and through. Where you also a fan of Barry Goldwater??? Maybe he was a little bit before your time? ;) If my memory serves me correct didn't your buddy Barry( sorry I could not help myself) support Gerald Ford over Ronald Reagan?? I can see his point still today... consensus over conservatism, a term near and dear to your liberal republican heart. ;)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:01 am

Carter days

You seriously have never paid attention to my family history I have posted on this forum many times. My entire family going back to WW2 have all been rock solid democrats. So you, as a pimple faced young republican spent your early years licking Richard Nixons wingtips. Your propensity for poor judgement back then is suppose to excuse your poor judgement today??? IMO you waste valuable hours on this forum trying to make amends for being a boot licking Nixon accolade back in the day. I'm still stunned that the Blimp hasn't called you out yet. I can read its tripe right now... Your buddy Nixon.... :D I know you fervently claim to be an old school conservative republican. I'm still waiting for that post from you that actually supports your alleged claims. My Democrat mom would have had the perfect term for you... Blue Blood Rockefeller Republican through and through. Where you also a fan of Barry Goldwater??? Maybe he was a little bit before your time? ;) If my memory serves me correct didn't your buddy Barry( sorry I could not help myself) support Gerald Ford over Ronald Reagan?? I can see his point still today... consensus over conservatism, a term near and dear to your liberal republican heart. ;)

Has Trump been arrested yet? I keep reading breathless announcements saying ‘this is it’ ‘this is the big one’ ‘we got him now’. I mean, for six years now! Surely it’s all over now, right? :lol: :lol: Thx
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Peter Brown wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:11 am

Carter days

Has Trump been arrested yet? I keep reading breathless announcements saying ‘this is it’ ‘this is the big one’ ‘we got him now’. I mean, for six years now! Surely it’s all over now, right? :lol: :lol: Thx
The Dems will never arrest trump. The reason is simple, the case is so very convoluted they could never convict him. That is not myself condoning trumps behavior. I will say this again and any prosecutor with any smarts understands this... there is what you know, what you think you know and what you can prove. Proving it becomes the problematic issue for any prosecutor. You may know in your gut what trump did... but proving it to 12 jurors beyond a reasonable doubt is monumentally complicated. You lose this case and your the biggest turd on the planet to every trump hater.
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

ON ENRIQUE TARRIO’S COMPLEX PASSWORD AND OTHER REASONS THE JANUARY 6 INVESTIGATION CAN NOW MOVE TO ORGANIZER-INCITERS

Patience...it's going to be an interesting spring/summer (also, as luck would have it) the lead-up to the fall midterms...

As AG Garland says:
We build investigations by laying a foundation. We resolve more straightforward cases first because they provide the evidentiary foundation for more complex cases.

Investigating the more overt crimes generates linkages to less overt ones. Overt actors and the evidence they provide can lead us to others who may also have been involved. And that evidence can serve as the foundation for further investigative leads and techniques.

In circumstances like those of January 6th, a full accounting does not suddenly materialize. To ensure that all those criminally responsible are held accountable, we must collect the evidence.

We follow the physical evidence. We follow the digital evidence. We follow the money.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Carter days

ok, your entire family were Dems...but again, that's all you have as to how you think about these parties and their policies? Your comprehension stopped with your mom? Never evolved from there? No actual opinion about McGovern?

Re Nixon, yes, at 15, for a government class, I canvassed for him, at 18 I certainly no longer supported him. On policies, Nixon was actually quite good IMO. Not perfect, but quite good. No, I definitely wasn't a fan, once I was old enough to have any perspective, on Goldwater. Reagan gave me the willies, so I voted third party in my first election, but voted for him the second time. All R since then until Trump. Sure, Rockefeller, Eisenhower, I'm comfortable with those fellas, not remotely comfortable with say, Joe McCarthy. Did your mom love all those southern segregationists in the Democratic Party?

How about telling us what you, as a Dem, actually believed was good policy? From McGovern, or Humphrey, or Johnson...I could give you examples of such, can you?
dislaxxic

Post by dislaxxic »

umm, the "Conservatives and Liberals" thread, if you please?? Admin, could you move this discussion over there?

MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

dislaxxic wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 9:33 am umm, the "Conservatives and Liberals" thread, if you please?? Admin, could you move this discussion over there?

Fine with me; not sure how I drew this much fire.
I guess stepping between cradle and you was a mistake. ;)
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

Unique case. The guy should be in a mental ward if you read about him.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:58 am

Carter days

ok, your entire family were Dems...but again, that's all you have as to how you think about these parties and their policies? Your comprehension stopped with your mom? Never evolved from there? No actual opinion about McGovern?

Re Nixon, yes, at 15, for a government class, I canvassed for him, at 18 I certainly no longer supported him. On policies, Nixon was actually quite good IMO. Not perfect, but quite good. No, I definitely wasn't a fan, once I was old enough to have any perspective, on Goldwater. Reagan gave me the willies, so I voted third party in my first election, but voted for him the second time. All R since then until Trump. Sure, Rockefeller, Eisenhower, I'm comfortable with those fellas, not remotely comfortable with say, Joe McCarthy. Did your mom love all those southern segregationists in the Democratic Party?

How about telling us what you, as a Dem, actually believed was good policy? From McGovern, or Humphrey, or Johnson...I could give you examples of such, can you?
LBJ was a POS, he decided that Vietnam was the hill he would die on. Humphrey and McGovern were old school liberals. I never understood why your "buddy" Nixon 🤪 felt the need for using those dirty tricks to defeat McGovern? If memory serves me correct tricky dicky defeated McGovern in a monumental landslide. Jimmy Carter has my respect still today. I voted for him the first time I could vote in 1976. Jimmy Carter is a good, decent and honest man. He was a terrible POTUS. It seemed that POTUS Carter could never catch a break. He was instrumental in seeing the Shah of Iran removed from power. Some guy named Khomeini stepped up to lead Iran and began the revolution that led to the Iranian hostage crisis and the debacle at desert one. Since you asked my mom loathed all politicians from the south. She was an Irish Catholic girl who idolized JFK and the Kennedy family. My mom also was a huge fan of Harry Truman. POTUS Truman never made a dime of off his time as POTUS. Who else would have had the balls to fire Macarthur who was IMO an arrogant, bloviating jerk. BTW were you a fan of that POS Robert Byrd?? The Democrats welcomed the racist KKK leader into their party with open arms even rising to hero status. BTW, until the day she died my mom loathed Dallas Texas. I don't remember why?
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

ok, she liked Truman and JFK...did she like Bobby, Teddy?

Other than Truman, who do you admire from the Dem party?
All those segregationists in the south, or did you prefer the northern Dems?
For instance McGovern?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 am ok, she liked Truman and JFK...did she like Bobby, Teddy?

For instance McGovern?
My mom cried her eyes out when Bobby was murdered. Teddy Kennedy was a whole different story. A low life degenerate drunken pig that caused the death of a young woman. Somehow in the world of the effed up democrat party he became the lion of the senate... GMAFB!!! :roll: I do wonder how a scumbag like Teddy would be looked at in the new democrat party. I'm guessing those waitress sammiches went out of style? To answer your question JFK is still my favorite democrat. He also had serious character flaws that most American never knew about. Jimmy Carter is my number 2. A decent and honorable man who was not up to being POTUS. I will surprise the hell out of you with this one, i admire Bill Clinton a ton as a gifted politician who understood how to get a deal done. His rotten, evil wife is a huge negative though. I admire BHO. He is another very talented politician. A silver tongued devil who always knew what to say, as long as TOTUS was by his side. He did struggle when having to express his own sentiments. I like our NY Senator Chuck Schumer quite a bit. He spoke at my youngest sons graduation from St John Fisher College. Nobody knew he would be speaking and Senator Schumer was a joy to listen to. I do not think he said anything of a political nature. I disagree with him on policy, but he is a very skilled politician and a decent man for a politician who leans way to the left.

https://garydemar.com/senators-chris-do ... sandwhich/

If memory serves me correct isn't Chris Dodd a part of the Biden administration in some respect???
Peter Brown

Post by Peter Brown »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:34 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 8:38 am ok, she liked Truman and JFK...did she like Bobby, Teddy?

For instance McGovern?
My mom cried her eyes out when Bobby was murdered. Teddy Kennedy was a whole different story. A low life degenerate drunken pig that caused the death of a young woman. Somehow in the world of the effed up democrat party he became the lion of the senate... GMAFB!!! :roll: I do wonder how a scumbag like Teddy would be looked at in the new democrat party. I'm guessing those waitress sammiches went out of style? To answer your question JFK is still my favorite democrat. He also had serious character flaws that most American never knew about. Jimmy Carter is my number 2. A decent and honorable man who was not up to being POTUS. I will surprise the hell out of you with this one, i admire Bill Clinton a ton as a gifted politician who understood how to get a deal done. His rotten, evil wife is a huge negative though. I admire BHO. He is another very talented politician. A silver tongued devil who always knew what to say, as long as TOTUS was by his side. He did struggle when having to express his own sentiments. I like our NY Senator Chuck Schumer quite a bit. He spoke at my youngest sons graduation from St John Fisher College. Nobody knew he would be speaking and Senator Schumer was a joy to listen to. I do not think he said anything of a political nature. I disagree with him on policy, but he is a very skilled politician and a decent man for a politician who leans way to the left.

https://garydemar.com/senators-chris-do ... sandwhich/

If memory serves me correct isn't Chris Dodd a part of the Biden administration in some respect???

Dodd is such a lowlife. So many times this guy should have been kicked to the curb by voters, and the DOJ. The laws never applied to this grade A schmuck, because he had ‘friends’.

He’s an advisor to Biden. Naturally.

Return to “POLITICS”