Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:02 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:36 pm Assuming they now have scholarship money, better scour transfer portal and get some talent(see Rutgers).
I still don't think talent is the problem. We're better off without Knox (though it would have been great to be able to hold onto Blanchard). The question is how to get the talent to execute, well, as a team, for 4 quarters. We have the talent to beat Cornell, SU, Bryant for multiple quarters. But we only play 3 quarters and they all play 4. I am thinking this team gets freaked out easily or something. I think its a team psychology problem. Maybe bring in a sports psychologist ... no joke. WS soccer does it regularly, and they are also regularly in the national semi-finals. [I'm told by folks on campus that they also have a reputation as the best conditioned team on campus and the team with the most self-discipline ... I'm told they annually impose a fully dry season on themselves).
I don't think that talent is the issue. We have decent talent. The real issue is that we always seem to have significant portions of our talent standing on the sidelines with injuries. On the Cornell thread they are also starting to lament their injuries, so I don't think this is crybabyism. Once Holtby was removed from the game yesterday (let's call it an "injury," because that's what it was in effect), we were down four starters. I don't think we're going to win a lot of games being down four starters. Forget about next man up. Madonna is the best shooter on the team. Think that we missed him yesterday? Dattellas is a stud in the midfield, and Baltzer is a real key in the clearing game. They both would have made a substantial difference. And then there's Holtby. How you take him out of the game for a completely inexperienced goalie is beyond me. And how do you not put him back in? Unless he really was injured. Which I doubt. I've never really heard of a team canning 11 goals on 13 shots, but apparently it's possible.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:22 pm
FMUBart wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:36 pm Assuming they now have scholarship money, better scour transfer portal and get some talent(see Rutgers).
I still don't think talent is the problem. We're better off without Knox (though it would have been great to be able to hold onto Blanchard). The question is how to get the talent to execute, well, as a team, for 4 quarters. We have the talent to beat Cornell, SU, Bryant for multiple quarters. But we only play 3 quarters and they all play 4. I am thinking this team gets freaked out easily or something. I think its a team psychology problem. Maybe bring in a sports psychologist ... no joke. WS soccer does it regularly, and they are also regularly in the national semi-finals. [I'm told by folks on campus that they also have a reputation as the best conditioned team on campus and the team with the most self-discipline ... I'm told they annually impose a fully dry season on themselves).
I don't think that talent is the issue. We have decent talent. The real issue is that we always seem to have significant portions of our talent standing on the sidelines with injuries. On the Cornell thread they are also starting to lament their injuries, so I don't think this is crybabyism. Once Holtby was removed from the game yesterday (let's call it an "injury," because that's what it was in effect), we were down four starters. I don't think we're going to win a lot of games being down four starters. Forget about next man up. Madonna is the best shooter on the team. Think that we missed him yesterday? Dattellas is a stud in the midfield, and Baltzer is a real key in the clearing game. They both would have made a substantial difference. And then there's Holtby. How you take him out of the game for a completely inexperienced goalie is beyond me. And how do you not put him back in? Unless he really was injured. Which I doubt. I've never really heard of a team canning 11 goals on 13 shots, but apparently it's possible.
It happened in 2018, when we lost to Siena. When we had 3 saves. This team lacks the ability to focus for 60 minutes. Simple clears when you just go up the ladder become a mystery tour.. K.I.S.S.
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Yeah, it's something with the coaching / lack of fundamentals that's most troubling. We have guys who can pass like what I watched yesterday in the OSU-Rutgers game, but how often has that happened consistently this season? While I doubt any changes can or will be made, it feels like this group has topped off. Time to start from scratch and get some respectability back. We're looking at a 2012 type of season if not.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Talent, yes; depth, no--especially with the injury issues. Every team deals with them, need to have the requisite depth to offset .
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Players played in each game out of 57 on the roster, at least 50 available up through Cuse and SHU

Canisius -44 (2 goalies)
Lehigh - 27
Cornell - 25
Cuse - 27
SHU - 29

Incongruous with what was stated about building depth here. Can’t build depth with extra scrimmages, they have to learn by playing in actual games.

https://hwsathletics.com/news/2022/2/4/ ... lable.aspx
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Number of players participating doesn't = depth...Hobart starting lineup can compete with most/all teams, it's when we go to the bench that play drops off markedly.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

How do they get used to real game play and improve if they aren’t getting any run? According to the podcast linked prior to the season depth is built through playing.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

https://www.fltimes.com/sports/mens-lac ... user-share

In the above article..

“We got to start winning games here. One at a time,” Raymond said on turning the season around. “We have to find a way to make our conference tournament, we got to find a way to play our best lacrosse late. We got to find a way to get stops and prevent scoring in these third and fourth quarters.

How about admitting the goalie switch was a mistake and putting Holtby back in for Q4? Nope... just watched Nero fiddle.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:07 am How do they get used to real game play and improve if they aren’t getting any run? According to the podcast linked prior to the season depth is built through playing.
Welcome back FFG ... missed you there for a while. If i understand your point correctly, it wasn't exactly the amount of players getting in that you were pointing to, but the generally decreasing trend since the start of the season. I agree. I actually think we do have some depth (injuries aside), or at least we could have depth if we played some of our deeper guys.
I don't think anyone can fault Alex Rosa's game on Saturday. First start as a first year yields two goals, two gb, and an important caused turnover, plus the unlistable hustle plays like his dives for the sidelines to maintain possession after a shot. And, honestly, I think Sam Ward could step in too. In a game with no EMOs, I think it is important to get guys like Sam in. Not only would it rest Mott or Archer, but it would build up Sam.
At close D we rotate in some wonderful players. Besides the starters, I see Horton out there playing well; Duby has had some terrific games; Firth is out there making terrific plays. Vince Orlando is out there doing great things on mandown.
What bothers me is not seeing more horses; we really lose something when Baltzer goes out. Ditto Gullace. Simas can sub for Sherman, but then he gets exhausted as an offensive threat (which he really is). I love seeing Delano out there, but I wish he would take a couple of shots. I am still waiting for Delaney to come in. And Consedine and Greenberg. Was Kyle Driscoll out there on Saturday? I don't remember seeing him, and he's been a stalwart this year.
RE: giving people playing time, I've got to think that was the reason for putting in Sotiropolous at goal. The coaches must've been seeing good things at practice and wanted to get him game experience. I'm not faulting him ... he let in some that were stoppable, but some of the ones that went in were from 1 yard out and others were just great shots. You rise and fall as a whole team. Bryant's shot selection was outstanding. We were slinging shots that missed by a mile.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

This teams shot selection is awful.
It’s like I’m tired of running around aimlessly getting hacked on by the defenseman so I’ll just sling one in the “general” direction of the goal
Fundamentals , fundamentals, fundamentals…
Get away from the defense , move the ball to a teammate stop carrying the ball around , move it through the air..
Passes move faster than asses.
Stop with the high to high shots that in the rare cases when it’s on goal they are little more than a turnover that invariably starts a fast break the other way
I know the game is evolving, but throwing and catching , gbs will always be key
This team struggles simply throwing crisp passes
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

Not sure how these things work, does Bryant’s announcement affect their eligibility to play in this years NEC playoffs or Championship?
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

catchnshoot wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:01 pm Not sure how these things work, does Bryant’s announcement affect their eligibility to play in this years NEC playoffs or Championship?
Bryant will be eligible
Laxfan1234

Post by Laxfan1234 »

I thought this was interesting and wanted to share.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/59249
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Laxfan1234 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:36 pm I thought this was interesting and wanted to share.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/59249
Surprised the offense is rated that high. They sure haven't played like it the last 2 games. The defense on the other had seems spot on.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

New Podcast. Sounds like we will still have a bunch of players out due to injuries. Coach R talks about making some changes and what he sees as a good team. OK... Now go out and execute !! Still sounds like the goalie situation isn't solidified, even after last week's mess. Have a listen. Draw your own conclusions.

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... side-39/51
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Gave it a listen. Main issue I continue to have is the lack of accountability from the coaching staff. Just keeps deflecting and talking about the players and having to "execute [better/more]". Saying a GK not playing well is a "bummer" and "not protected" when Bryant scored 5 goals to the exact same spot shows a disconnection, in my opinion. Holtby stays in or comes back in when the run starts, and that's a win. Period.

On a lighter note, the new team bus looks pretty amazing so credit the Elder Statesmen who raised funds to get Hobart lax (and by extension other Statesmen teams) this really great bus.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cbz3BBBL0qI/
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:00 am New Podcast. Sounds like we will still have a bunch of players out due to injuries. Coach R talks about making some changes and what he sees as a good team. OK... Now go out and execute !! Still sounds like the goalie situation isn't solidified, even after last week's mess. Have a listen. Draw your own conclusions.

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... side-39/51
If the coach thinks the goalie position is not solidified then he must not have watched last weekend’s game. Go with Holtby or you will see the bell ringing a lot.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I just hope the offense and the defense finally figure out how to work together effectively. We haven't seen that for the last 3 games.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:07 am How do they get used to real game play and improve if they aren’t getting any run? According to the podcast linked prior to the season depth is built through playing.
Recruit better talent

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”