Washington & Lee 2022

D3 Mens Lacrosse
2laxers

Re: Washington & Lee 2022

Post by 2laxers »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:31 pm He’s made about 150 saves to date almost 15 a game with a .629 save rate. He’s had his very best games against some teams that aren’t cupcakes, York .714 Gburg.655 CNU .618 and Noke .724…. Tell me if I’m missing something but that’s AA numbers against top 20 teams except Noke.
He’s having a great year and I think this Saturday will be his biggest test. Looking at shooting percentage for the teams he faced, Lynchburg is the best shooting team so far.

York 28%
CNU 33.5%
Gburg 28.2%
Noke 32.1%
Burg 38.5%

I realize Lynchburg has played some easy opponents, but also played Salisbury, CNU, Denison & Tufts. The one thing they can do is score with the exception of Salisbury which was a really bad game all around. Looking forward to a good game.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

http://app.lummys.com/category/ranking/16/2022

So the Generals still have a shot . Especially w Spaghs in the cage. Number 3 in the country in saves
http://college.laxpower2.com/menx/rating03.php
LibertyL

Post by LibertyL »

He is a very solid guy
mdlaxdad

Post by mdlaxdad »

Was last year's game a fluke for LYN? Lost friday just to beat w&l the next day on their home field. Then embarrassed w&l on their own field in the ODAC tournament. I know LYN looks down, but its not like the generals have been looking unstoppable. I think under the lights at LYN is a recipe for a blowout. Hope w&l can keep it close, but I doubt it given their recent performances.
Dehuntshigwa’es

2laxers wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:53 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:31 pm He’s made about 150 saves to date almost 15 a game with a .629 save rate. He’s had his very best games against some teams that aren’t cupcakes, York .714 Gburg.655 CNU .618 and Noke .724…. Tell me if I’m missing something but that’s AA numbers against top 20 teams except Noke.
He’s having a great year and I think this Saturday will be his biggest test. Looking at shooting percentage for the teams he faced, Lynchburg is the best shooting team so far.

York 28%
CNU 33.5%
Gburg 28.2%
Noke 32.1%
Burg 38.5%

I realize Lynchburg has played some easy opponents, but also played Salisbury, CNU, Denison & Tufts. The one thing they can do is score with the exception of Salisbury which was a really bad game all around. Looking forward to a good game.
The flip side is W&L as a shooting team has gone
14% Catholic
16% Denison
22% BW
18% Gettysburg
18% Roanoke
There mission has been to make every goalie look like an AA. They are shooting 26% for the season and have 4 extra man goals in 25 attempts for 16% the opposing teams are 16-36 44%

Stay out of the box at Lynchburg
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:04 am

York 28%
CNU 33.5%
Gburg 28.2%
Noke 32.1%
Burg 38.5%

14% Catholic
16% Denison
22% BW
18% Gettysburg
18% Roanoke
There mission has been to make every goalie look like an AA. They are shooting 26% for the season and have 4 extra man goals in 25 attempts for 16% the opposing teams are 16-36 44%

They’ve also been at 35% or better in the other 5 games. They are a young group that is a ways away from figuring it out. They start 2 soph and a Fr at attack. Limiting the senseless turnovers is something they need to do. They’ve had a habit of beating themselves in close games.
Dehuntshigwa’es

InsiderRoll wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 7:22 am
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:04 am

York 28%
CNU 33.5%
Gburg 28.2%
Noke 32.1%
Burg 38.5%

14% Catholic
16% Denison
22% BW
18% Gettysburg
18% Roanoke

They’ve also been at 35% or better in the other 5 games. They are a young group that is a ways away from figuring it out. They start 2 soph and a Fr at attack. Limiting the senseless turnovers is something they need to do. They’ve had a habit of beating themselves in close games.
The young guys aren’t the ones w the bad numbers overall. They are 35 33 and 22 percent that’s the 2 Soph’s and freshman. If the team had any shooters they’d have more than 4 man up goals. The turnovers I totally agree with it’s just not a priority within the program it’s accepted . I use to think that oh well they are working on it, it will get better. It doesn’t and it persists year after year. There are zero consequences for poor fundamentals when you avg 20 a game. If they were an up tempo team ( tufts) I’d understand but they are not. We are talking about simple straightforward exchanges
MIAAlaxluvr40

Post by MIAAlaxluvr40 »

What happened to Sheehan(#6)? Saw him produce in the first couple games, but hasn't really touched the field since. Great player out of the historic St. Paul's School in Baltimore and was lighting it up in the MIAA. He was not the primary player in high school, but he has the skills to takeover for a team. Big lefty time and room shooter but a guy who can dodge to get to the middle as well (check out his highlights below). With an offense that is struggling, Sheehan could be the spark that can put the ball in the back of the net.
Check out his highlights here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK8SY0iW6Wg
Dehuntshigwa’es

MIAAlaxluvr40 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:44 pm What happened to Sheehan(#6)? Saw him produce in the first couple games, but hasn't really touched the field since. Great player out of the historic St. Paul's School in Baltimore and was lighting it up in the MIAA. He was not the primary player in high school, but he has the skills to takeover for a team. Big lefty time and room shooter but a guy who can dodge to get to the middle as well (check out his highlights below). With an offense that is struggling, Sheehan could be the spark that can put the ball in the back of the net.
I would think that if the coaches who see him everyday thought he was a difference maker he’d be out there. I mean they are playing a freshman and two sophomores on attack he’s gotten a good look The guy they really miss this season is Garrett Mize he was a big loss to the program when he went down. Can the Generals go 50% at the dot and hold Lynchburg to less than 10. Spagh’s will have a good game if the team stays out of the box and not give Lynchburg looks on his doorstep. They can’t give Lynchburg second chances after strong defensive stands and turn it over while clearing or just throwing it away on the offensive end. Lynchburg was missing two key players last game maybe they were taking a break from the Mustang classic or minor injuries but would look immediately as to how they go. Will W&L go zone? I’d like to see them at least try it
mdlaxdad

Post by mdlaxdad »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Fri Apr 01, 2022 8:22 am
MIAAlaxluvr40 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:44 pm What happened to Sheehan(#6)? Saw him produce in the first couple games, but hasn't really touched the field since. Great player out of the historic St. Paul's School in Baltimore and was lighting it up in the MIAA. He was not the primary player in high school, but he has the skills to takeover for a team. Big lefty time and room shooter but a guy who can dodge to get to the middle as well (check out his highlights below). With an offense that is struggling, Sheehan could be the spark that can put the ball in the back of the net.
I would think that if the coaches who see him everyday thought he was a difference maker he’d be out there. I mean they are playing a freshman and two sophomores on attack he’s gotten a good look The guy they really miss this season is Garrett Mize he was a big loss to the program when he went down. Can the Generals go 50% at the dot and hold Lynchburg to less than 10. Spagh’s will have a good game if the team stays out of the box and not give Lynchburg looks on his doorstep. They can’t give Lynchburg second chances after strong defensive stands and turn it over while clearing or just throwing it away on the offensive end. Lynchburg was missing two key players last game maybe they were taking a break from the Mustang classic or minor injuries but would look immediately as to how they go. Will W&L go zone? I’d like to see them at least try it
I saw him play in high school and have watched him a couple times on the field for w&l. While the coaches are taking a risk with two sophomores and one freshman at attack, they have not had that great of production from the midfield, especially from the second line. I know the first line takes most runs, but Sheehan could be the scoring threat on the second line which seems to lack the mentality of attacking the net (besides #14). I hope to see him get some looks tomorrow as he could surprise the Lynchburg team who I doubt has scouted him much due to his little play time over the last couple games. In regards to players in practice, at this point in the season, the coaches are hesitant to change up the lineup midseason regardless of performance in practice. And with an easier back half of conference play coming up, I could see Sheehan get a lot of production which could carry into some meaningful time come ODAC tournament.
Dehuntshigwa’es

What an amazing game last night. I’m going to have to see it again on demand to appreciate what it was the Generals did to secure the victory. My initial impression was Lynchburg seemed out of sync and I thought not having Rogers had a lot to do with that. For starters the team D showed up big, Spagh’s battalion was on the mark, great play by the close D and Bentley and Marsh, no penalties I believe from them. They really limited Lynchburg’s opportunities for tight shots. They cleared well, split at the dot and maybe the key factor on O was they played smart using extended possessions, not playing from behind was a BIG factor they controlled the clock. I’d have to rewatch it but after 3-3 I think W&L had a string of 3 turnovers in a row and I thought here it comes. It’s from that point on I thought they really played their best lax of the season. Fewer turnovers and they dominated ground balls the d and especially ssdm had a ton of them. The O looked really efficient with the ball. Looked like more assisted goals than they usually have. The team hopefully watches the tape 10x and remembers what they are capable of when playing smart. How about a day of upsets RIT, Tufts, Lynchburg and UVA all lose. Hope the boys in Lex enjoy this one, well played
JPAtlantic

Post by JPAtlantic »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:09 am What an amazing game last night. I’m going to have to see it again on demand to appreciate what it was the Generals did to secure the victory. My initial impression was Lynchburg seemed out of sync and I thought not having Rogers had a lot to do with that. For starters the team D showed up big, Spagh’s battalion was on the mark, great play by the close D and Bentley and Marsh, no penalties I believe from them. They really limited Lynchburg’s opportunities for tight shots. They cleared well, split at the dot and maybe the key factor on O was they played smart using extended possessions, not playing from behind was a BIG factor they controlled the clock. I’d have to rewatch it but after 3-3 I think W&L had a string of 3 turnovers in a row and I thought here it comes. It’s from that point on I thought they really played their best lax of the season. Fewer turnovers and they dominated ground balls the d and especially ssdm had a ton of them. The O looked really efficient with the ball. Looked like more assisted goals than they usually have. The team hopefully watches the tape 10x and remembers what they are capable of when playing smart. How about a day of upsets RIT, Tufts, Lynchburg and UVA all lose. Hope the boys in Lex enjoy this one, well played
It was a lot like the York game, but they got the clears they needed in the 4th this time.
Good win.
Dehuntshigwa’es

What do you do when playing a Randolph with a 19 man roster with SIX coaches. Get all your starters and seniors in 1st qtr then play your bench. Have that group work on whatever sets they might be using in the future let than practice on a different colored jersey. This isn’t a game to pad your stats or forget your fundamentals. Randolph sports a 62% female and 38% male student body, obviously the coach’s major selling point
Dehuntshigwa’es

W&L is leading the ODAC with stellar play from the team’s D and goalie. I checked the ODAC lacrosse site to get a sense of where they might be in scoring leaders. When I saw it I thought it was a mistake and pts hadn’t been updated; it was. After 12 games W&L leading pt player has 20 pts for a 1.66 pts per game avg. The W&L scoring leader ranks 42 in the ODAC. The team has 4 man up goals as a team that’s 6 goals behind an individual player leading the league in man up goals. If they win the AQ I guess none of this matters but as I’ve said before historically the ODAC champ has almost always been a 30% shooting team or better( over 90% of the time) The Generals are at .276 history says they may come up short unless they improve in this category
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

I think it’s well established they aren’t dynamic on offense. They are however substantially better then they were at the beginning of the year. The lone bright spot is that they’ve found different guys to produce enough when needed lately. They’ve also done enough to put themselves in the ODAC drivers seat and they control their own destiny. I’m sure that their shooting % will go up in the remaining schedule, however should they make it to the championship game, they probably won’t be concerned with numbers, they will be concerned with making the plays needed to win. Fortunately for W&L the games are played on the field and not on paper.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Offense has been much better with the changes on attack and Witherell moving to midfield. Their only remaining competitive game will be Bridgewater and maybe Shenandoah. Watched the 4th qtr again of the Lynchburg game. Hoping they play as well in the next game with them as they did the first. I don’t believe Roanoke or HSC can beat Lynchburg.W&L will have to get past one of those 2 teams again I’d assume it’s HSC. Home court doesn’t mean much other than not playing in that snake pit at Lynchburg, brutal place to play when the fans are in force. Let’s keep late season injuries to a minimum and play a deep bench going forward. Conditioning and who has the lesser opponent in the semis is always critical. Porkorny had a big game vs Lynchburg interesting to see if he can build off that best I’ve seen him in his career played w confidence . Any wrinkles that might come up in the rematch? Generals need to stay out of the box just like the last game. I’d also like to see something different on their man up, I’m sure they would also. Spagnoletti has to be team MVP and conf MVP if they win it all. The young man has been beyond clutch
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

The Generals are in the driver seat with the #1 seed. I doubt Roanoke can beat Lynchburg as well (they play this Saturday). Should be a good ODAC tournament with the teams being a bit more balanced this year.
OSVAlacrosse

Post by OSVAlacrosse »

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... s-up/59365

W&L under the radar? Well I guess they are this year.
Dwn2DaRvr2Pray

Post by Dwn2DaRvr2Pray »

Loving how the Generals have been trending upward recently. Things looked sloppy in February and March, but it's how you play in April and May that defines the season. Over the next couple of games the Gennies should steamroll and secure the 1 seed in the ODAC tournament. I'm feeling a big couple of games out of hefty netminder Ryan Aljader as Spags gets some well-deserved rest, as well as midfielders Sheehan and Mannino, haven't seen them in a few outings. They play well together, Mannino a more hard headed north south dodger, and Sheehan using agility and scalpel-like precision. I wouldn't mind seeing freshman A/M Gavin McClernan, he's a sneaky lefty with a great stick and a true passion for the game, he also comes from a blue blood lacrosse family; the guy lives and breathes lacrosse. Will Schnorr has been physically impressive as well. Seeing him and Kriss on the man-up together is a phenomenal tandem that I love to watch operate. Ian Dardani also had a hell of a game against Randolph, I think he can really play. Seems to be a glue guy around the bench, I always see him leading huddles and giving pump-up speeches in the 4th quarter.

Go Gennies
Unclepeter

Post by Unclepeter »

Dwn2DaRvr2Pray wrote: Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:47 pm Loving how the Generals have been trending upward recently. Things looked sloppy in February and March, but it's how you play in April and May that defines the season. Over the next couple of games the Gennies should steamroll and secure the 1 seed in the ODAC tournament. I'm feeling a big couple of games out of hefty netminder Ryan Aljader as Spags gets some well-deserved rest, as well as midfielders Sheehan and Mannino, haven't seen them in a few outings. They play well together, Mannino a more hard headed north south dodger, and Sheehan using agility and scalpel-like precision. I wouldn't mind seeing freshman A/M Gavin McClernan, he's a sneaky lefty with a great stick and a true passion for the game, he also comes from a blue blood lacrosse family; the guy lives and breathes lacrosse. Will Schnorr has been physically impressive as well. Seeing him and Kriss on the man-up together is a phenomenal tandem that I love to watch operate. Ian Dardani also had a hell of a game against Randolph, I think he can really play. Seems to be a glue guy around the bench, I always see him leading huddles and giving pump-up speeches in the 4th quarter.

Go Gennies
Was able to watch both Mannino and Sheehan compete in high school out of the hotbeds of NJ and Baltimore respectively. Mannino helped Rumson-Fair Haven run the Shore conference as a dynamic two-way player who moves like a stallion galloping down the field. He also looks like he could squat a Mack Truck looking at those tree trunks of legs. On the other hand, Sheehan comes from the blue-blood program of St. Pauls School in the MIAA. The kid has had a stick in his hand since he came out the womb as his dad was an all-American goalie at UVA. A shifty dodger with a cannon in his left-hand, but still not afraid to let it go with his right. Expect to see high production from these two over the next couple days.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”