NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: NESCAC

Post by pcowlax »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:47 am
Sidelinehorn! wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:14 am Watched Tufts go from nescac basement to DIII powerhouse and this hate is just jealousy....it is good for DIII lax to have teams like Union get into the mix...Bad shooting day for Tufts...but they do need to find a way to overcome that in big games...live and die by the sword with that uptempo pace..Union deserves the praise and my guess is these two will see each other again in May...mark it down
There’s definitely elements of jealousy in these criticisms. However they have a lot of bravado and loud mouths, they do invite it in these moments. That stems from their head coach who may be the least humble guy in D3, coaching the least humble team in D3. I think the criticism comes from the fact that they not only lost, but got beat in every facet of the game. It’s their largest home loss since 2008 when they were 9-6.
But really no one on this board. If their social media or sideline demeanor has struck you are arrogant, feel free to let the team's or D'Annolfo's social media sites hear it and, if you must to feel better, try to rub it in his face. As far as posters here, I really have never seen Tufts overly talked up on this board. They have certainly been talked up, but good grief, they have 3 national titles, 2 runner-ups and another semi-final appearance in the past 11 years and have completely dominated the strongest conference in the country over that period. They do not in fact play under the same constraints as the other NESCACs with their enrollment and, for the short term, the 5th year option. That may change your opinion on the credit their dominance deserves but it doesn't change the fact of the dominance. Posts like the one above saying Tufts is "far over-hyped on a national scale, per usual" are just stupid. They are the second most successful D3 team in the country the past decade. :?
smoova

Post by smoova »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:01 am They do not in fact play under the same constraints as the other NESCACs with their enrollment and, for the short term, the 5th year option. That may change your opinion on the credit their dominance deserves but it doesn't change the fact of the dominance.
I agree that many NESCAC fans have been put off by the combination of (i) Tuft's structural advantages with respect to other NESCAC schools and (ii) Casey's use of social media to trumpet those seemingly "ill-gotten" gains. (Similar to the way some Patriot League fans feel Loyola's admissions advantage led to a period of dominance in that league.) But none of that diminishes the program's very impressive accomplishments/standing with respect to D3 lacrosse as a whole.
Last edited by smoova on Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
laxxer27

Post by laxxer27 »

LaxDad1963 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:53 pm It was a frigid Tuesday evening in Massachussets, but it was heated up by some thrilling NESCAC lax!

Springfield 6, Middlebury 12

This game was a bit slow at times with both teams playing lots of zone defense. Middlebury’s answer to the zone was Jack Sheehan (6g, 1a), former Founders League midfielder of the year at Taft. Springfield on the other hand had no answers. Midd keeper is lights out and not talked about enough.

Tufts 12, Union 17

Tufts is a great team but this defense won’t be winning any national championships for them. Too many missed shots and sloppy turnovers too.

In my book, Union is top 5 team in the country with this win. A team led by 5th year seniors that play very intelligently.

Based on how close Midd played against Union, we should all stay tuned for a thrilling bout between Tufts/Midd on Saturday in the Green mountain state.

Amherst 11, WNE 10

Amherst impressed me tonight against a decent WNE team. A close game at half was made into a lopsided affair for much of the second half behind the efforts of big boy Brock Gonzalez (3g, 1a). Mammoths we’re lucky to escape a late rush of goals that demonstrated the vulnerability of their defense.

Amherst will need to carry some of this momentum into a trip to Brunswick to face a growling Polar Bear team on Saturday.

Note: Williams v. CNU could be fun tomorrow under the lights in Virginia
Amherst played without their head coach as well. Had a last minute family medical emergency.
Dehuntshigwa’es

Post by Dehuntshigwa’es »

I am no NESCAC fan but I certainly respect the teams that comprise the league. I’ve watched Tufts several times this year. I’d pump the brakes on them not winning the conference and not having a good shot to win the NCAA title. I thought they played particularly well against a solid Lynchburg team. Sometimes playing fast can bite you especially if you get behind….I’d point out the goalie has only had 7 career starts he may have had a tough night but will only get more consistent ….They will go late into May
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

NESCAC is a great conference and deep, no argument with that. It does seem that this year however the NESCAC is not quite what it has been. They really only have 2 marquee OOC wins at this point.

Amherst over Gettysburg
Tufts over Lynchburg

Lots of losses in big OOC games. Bowdoin is drastically improved, but they are without a marquee win as well. Wesleyan was nice win, but Colby also beat them, so there’s that. They looked much more down to earth against a solid Babson team.

If the league feasts on itself too much, it could ruin a third teams at large chances.
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:20 pm I am no NESCAC fan but I certainly respect the teams that comprise the league. I’ve watched Tufts several times this year. I’d pump the brakes on them not winning the conference and not having a good shot to win the NCAA title. I thought they played particularly well against a solid Lynchburg team. Sometimes playing fast can bite you especially if you get behind….I’d point out the goalie has only had 7 career starts he may have had a tough night but will only get more consistent ….They will go late into May
I don't think anyone ever explicitly said that Tufts certainly won't win the conference and that they don't have a great shot of winning the NCAA title. I said as much in my initial post after the Union game, pinning them as my favorite for the NESCAC crown, which, even with the lack of marquee wins that Insider Roll points out, puts you immediately in NC contention (I think we can all agree on that).

Perhaps you're being swayed by these "unbiased" commenters who seem to be interpreting observations that Tufts is not invincible as remarks that Tufts is some fraudulent program. They're still the NESCAC team I'd want to go up against RIT or Union in a rematch, if the league's reputation was on the (imaginary) line. I for one am not afraid to admit that I do have an opinion, and I do dislike Tufts, but I still respect their success and consistency. So what if there is a joyous tone to some commenters' remarks about their loss -- it's fun to get to believe, even if for a second, that maybe something different will happen! (Think AFC East for 20 years, whenever the Patriots lost, it was a glimmer of hope for the galaxy. But most of the time the same thing happened in the end.)
SaltCounty

Post by SaltCounty »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:15 pm NESCAC is a great conference and deep, no argument with that. It does seem that this year however the NESCAC is not quite what it has been. They really only have 2 marquee OOC wins at this point.

Amherst over Gettysburg
Tufts over Lynchburg

Lots of losses in big OOC games. Bowdoin is drastically improved, but they are without a marquee win as well. Wesleyan was nice win, but Colby also beat them, so there’s that. They looked much more down to earth against a solid Babson team.

If the league feasts on itself too much, it could ruin a third teams at large chances.
100 % Agree.
After this weeks results, I think its safe to say a lot will have to happen for their to be a 3rd NESCAC team getting an At Large bid.
And to Insider's point - if the parity in league play continues, that 2nd At Large could be close.
I still think 3 NESCAC teams go this year.

I think there are a lot of different thoughts / impressions on this question every year...
Come selections - are they weighing the quality of wins based on when they happen, or by the success of that team at the end of the season?
For example, Bowdoin beat Williams when they were #15
If (not saying they will) Williams falls outside the Top 20 by the end of the season - is this still a quality win to weigh for Pool C?

Have to imagine Amherst / Bowdoin is becoming a Huge Game for both, with respect to having a Quality Win on the Resume.
Amherst benefits from beating another team having a Top 20 Season.
Bowdoin benefits from beating a team with quality win (Amherst over Gettysburg)
Sidelinehorn!

Post by Sidelinehorn! »

beantown_lax879 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:23 pm
Dehuntshigwa’es wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:20 pm I am no NESCAC fan but I certainly respect the teams that comprise the league. I’ve watched Tufts several times this year. I’d pump the brakes on them not winning the conference and not having a good shot to win the NCAA title. I thought they played particularly well against a solid Lynchburg team. Sometimes playing fast can bite you especially if you get behind….I’d point out the goalie has only had 7 career starts he may have had a tough night but will only get more consistent ….They will go late into May
I don't think anyone ever explicitly said that Tufts certainly won't win the conference and that they don't have a great shot of winning the NCAA title. I said as much in my initial post after the Union game, pinning them as my favorite for the NESCAC crown, which, even with the lack of marquee wins that Insider Roll points out, puts you immediately in NC contention (I think we can all agree on that).

Perhaps you're being swayed by these "unbiased" commenters who seem to be interpreting observations that Tufts is not invincible as remarks that Tufts is some fraudulent program. They're still the NESCAC team I'd want to go up against RIT or Union in a rematch, if the league's reputation was on the (imaginary) line. I for one am not afraid to admit that I do have an opinion, and I do dislike Tufts, but I still respect their success and consistency. So what if there is a joyous tone to some commenters' remarks about their loss -- it's fun to get to believe, even if for a second, that maybe something different will happen! (Think AFC East for 20 years, whenever the Patriots lost, it was a glimmer of hope for the galaxy. But most of the time the same thing happened in the end.)
Even the Celtics lost in 1985....before I was born...but still
Mainelaxfan

Post by Mainelaxfan »

[/quote]
Have to imagine Amherst / Bowdoin is becoming a Huge Game for both, with respect to having a Quality Win on the Resume.
Amherst benefits from beating another team having a Top 20 Season.
Bowdoin benefits from beating a team with quality win (Amherst over Gettysburg)
[/quote]

I agree, this will be a huge game for both and I expect the Polar Bears to win at home.

Another big game will be Tufts at Midd. Tufts will want to get back on track, but Midd has been playing better of late. If the Panthers can win some draws, I think they have a chance.
ah23

Post by ah23 »

InsiderRoll wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:47 am However they have a lot of bravado and loud mouths, they do invite it in these moments. That stems from their head coach who may be the least humble guy in D3, coaching the least humble team in D3.
No real disagreement about the team as a whole being pretty brash/in your face, that has been true for a long time. I had old teammates that haven't followed the league in years messaging me because of this benchmob video from the Lynchburg game that popped up on an IG account with 33 million followers. Pretty good example of how effective their 'brand' is. It's obnoxious, but it gets them visibility that arguably no other D-III school can match.

I don't get the comment about D'Annolfo though. What makes him "maybe the least humble guy in D3"? From what I can tell he talks up his players when he gets the chance, runs a very visible/effective Twitter account, and that's kind of it.
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:01 am As far as posters here, I really have never seen Tufts overly talked up on this board. They have certainly been talked up, but good grief, they have 3 national titles, 2 runner-ups and another semi-final appearance in the past 11 years and have completely dominated the strongest conference in the country over that period.
Yep. It would be weird if Tufts wasn't talked up every season. They have won 10 of 11 conference titles in the strongest conference in the country, and until their 2021 semifinal loss to RIT they hadn't lost to a non-NESCAC opponent since the 2016 national championship game. The teams they've lost to in the playoffs in that span won two national championships (2021 RIT, 2018 Wesleyan), were national runners-up once (2019 Amherst), and national semifinalists once (2017 Wesleyan). Salisbury is inarguably D-III's premier program, but Tufts is pretty inarguably #2.
Posts like the one above saying Tufts is "far over-hyped on a national scale, per usual" are just stupid. They are the second most successful D3 team in the country the past decade. :?
That whole post (and the outside fans who parachuted in to quote it/make similar comments) was just... :roll:. People can dislike whoever they want, but a little objectivity about the on-field product and a little less conspiracy theorizing wouldn't hurt.
beantown_lax879 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:23 pm I don't think anyone ever explicitly said that Tufts certainly won't win the conference and that they don't have a great shot of winning the NCAA title. I said as much in my initial post after the Union game, pinning them as my favorite for the NESCAC crown, which, even with the lack of marquee wins that Insider Roll points out, puts you immediately in NC contention (I think we can all agree on that).
looks around awkwardly

Maybe I'll be eating these words at the end of May, but I actually don't think Tufts has a great shot of winning the title this year. I had the 2020 team as the clear favorite and the 2021 team was obviously one of a few serious contenders for the title, but I think 2022 Tufts just has to replace too much talent lost to graduation and their contemporaries (Salisbury, RIT, etc.) don't have the same problem. That combined with what might be the rise of programs like CNU/SJF/Union into contention makes the field that much more crowded. I also think the NESCAC is probably down relative to previous seasons, which IMO makes the conference title carry slightly less weight with regards to identifying national championship favorites.
beantown_lax879

Post by beantown_lax879 »

Is Bredahl playing today?
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

Another great day for Bowdoin. What a turnaround this season. I have to say that Billy Mason has COY in the NESCAC locked up. At the time that he was hired, I know many in the game who felt that he was a GREAT hire, but also others who felt that they could have "reached higher and spent more money." As some may know, AD Ryan is not thought of as a real star and many Bowdoin programs have hit new lows after decades of decent success.

Well, the hit it out of the park with Mason. They are 9-0 and I would bet that they will be 14-0 going into the final regular season game at Tufts. Incredibly exciting stuff.

They were 2-8 in the NESCAC , in Archbell's last full season. 2019. Archbell, who was much talked up when he came to Brunswick from Penn is trying to reestablish his career as a volunteer assistant at Richmond. Wish him well.

I would LOVE to hear some unfiltered, candid comments about the change from some of the veteran team leaders.

This should be an eye-opener for NESCAC AD's that the coach, and his staff, in this sport make a huge difference. Some programs need changes at the helm. It's hard to get hired into the jobs, and frankly....hard to be fired. I say that having served on two NESCAC boards, and on their committees on athletics. Not all that clueless.

Lot of good lacrosse being played in the conference, as is almost always the case!
LarumVictoia

Post by LarumVictoia »

[/quote]

I think 2022 Tufts just has to replace too much talent lost to graduation and their contemporaries (Salisbury, RIT, etc.) don't have the same problem.
[/quote]

Not true... Salisbury lost their entire close, D 2/3 of their attack, FOY, two of their DM's, most of their 2nd line midfielders including the following players with the following career accolades just last year:
Malamphy - 1st Team AA FOY- (3X Honors)
Melton - 1st Team AA (3X Honors)
Apgar - 1st Team AA (3X Honors)
Murphy - 2nd Team AA (3x Honors)
Greik - 2nd Team AA (2X Honors)
Moroney - HM AA
Borkowicz - HM AA
Armstrong - 3 Year starter
Ellis - Starting Goalie
LaxDad1963

Post by LaxDad1963 »

A lot of talk about Tufts this week, but that shouldn’t be the case going forward anymore. Middlebury dictated this entire game (I’m hesitant to even call it a game — because it never was). Middlebury is the team we should be talking about. The Midd offense has found a new gear and looks completely different from the way that they played against Bowdoin in week 1. Middlebury defense is also legit: Simpson and Ng seem to be fighting each other for the DPOY.
I expect Bowdoin/Midd to meet again on championship weekend.

Berdahl was ineffective, with Dobensky of Midd holding him check all day. I don’t see him spending any more time on the Tewaaraton watchlist.

Midd’s first win vs. Tufts since 2009.
Mainelaxfan

Post by Mainelaxfan »

LaxDad1963 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:03 pm A lot of talk about Tufts this week, but that shouldn’t be the case going forward anymore. Middlebury dictated this entire game (I’m hesitant to even call it a game — because it never was). Middlebury is the team we should be talking about. The Midd offense has found a new gear and looks completely different from the way that they played against Bowdoin in week 1. Middlebury defense is also legit: Simpson and Ng seem to be fighting each other for the DPOY.
If the BOW-MIDD matchup were to materialize in the playoffs, the Panthers would have to find a way to win FO's in order to have a chance. That Bowdoin FO man is lights out.
Nigel

Post by Nigel »

Mainelaxfan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:59 pm
LaxDad1963 wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:03 pm A lot of talk about Tufts this week, but that shouldn’t be the case going forward anymore. Middlebury dictated this entire game (I’m hesitant to even call it a game — because it never was). Middlebury is the team we should be talking about. The Midd offense has found a new gear and looks completely different from the way that they played against Bowdoin in week 1. Middlebury defense is also legit: Simpson and Ng seem to be fighting each other for the DPOY.
If the BOW-MIDD matchup were to materialize in the playoffs, the Panthers would have to find a way to win FO's in order to have a chance. That Bowdoin FO man is lights out.
Lights out? Slightly over .500
17/30 vs Amherst
10/19 vs Babson
If we need that extra push over the cliff, ya know what we do...eleven, exactly.
Mainelaxfan

Post by Mainelaxfan »

Nigel wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:23 pm
Mainelaxfan wrote: Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:59 pm
Lights out? Slightly over .500
17/30 vs Amherst
10/19 vs Babson
Lights out vs. Midd. He went 21-26
CrimsonRed

Post by CrimsonRed »

He’s very talented, but consider that he was up against two freshman in the first game of the season.

Great to see Bowdoin playing well and see the conference battle it out.
Chipzhoo

Post by Chipzhoo »

[/quote]

[/quote]

Abs they won by 1. At home.
the_fish_whist1er

Post by the_fish_whist1er »

When any of these NESCAC schools play anyone below the mason dixon line i think they are done. A Salisbury, York, CNU, GBurg would handle the top nescacs from the defenses i have seen so far this season.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”