Post by DocBarrister »

@DocBarrister
AreaLax

Re: Jared Bernhardt

Post by AreaLax »

Bacondoesstuff2

Post by Bacondoesstuff2 »

He is not even close to same size as woodhead...height wise. which makes all the difference in the world.

hopefully he did well today.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Tried to time it on the stopwatch on my phone. Very hard to click start fast enough but I got a 4.72. In those little twitter clips he looks like a very athletic lacrosse player, not really seeing an NFL player.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Looked like he was gliding really in that clip
not full sprint,
plus how many 40s did he do for the scouts ?
If he can do a 4.7 not full sprint mode,
that’s pretty elite, not of course including wide
receiver, return type sprinters / track men.
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:15 pm Looked like he was gliding really in that clip
not full sprint,
plus how many 40s did he do for the scouts ?
If he can do a 4.7 not full sprint mode,
that’s pretty elite, not of course including wide
receiver, return type sprinters / track men.
This site says he’s run a 4.54. No idea on the source.

https://draftscout.com/dsprofile.php?Pl ... tYear=2022
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Well, it lists 3 times, 4.54, 4.64 and 4.73. I’m going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and say the one in that twitter clip was the 4.73 and I was 1 hundredth of a second off with the cell phone-finger tap timer (still got the face off reflexes :D ). When I said he didn’t really look like an NFL caliber athlete it wasn’t the 40 but the breaks and accelerations on the ball drills. I do agree he will probably be in a camp and I wish him the best.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:18 pm Well, it lists 3 times, 4.54, 4.64 and 4.73. I’m going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and say the one in that twitter clip was the 4.73 and I was 1 hundredth of a second off with the cell phone-finger tap timer (still got the face off reflexes :D ). When I said he didn’t really look like an NFL caliber athlete it wasn’t the 40 but the breaks and accelerations on the ball drills. I do agree he will probably be in a camp and I wish him the best.
Thanks for the information.

Unfortunately, average NFL combine times for WRs, CBs, and RBs are a shade under 4.5. A time around 4.7 would be disastrous.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:53 am
pcowlax wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:18 pm Well, it lists 3 times, 4.54, 4.64 and 4.73. I’m going to give myself the benefit of the doubt and say the one in that twitter clip was the 4.73 and I was 1 hundredth of a second off with the cell phone-finger tap timer (still got the face off reflexes :D ). When I said he didn’t really look like an NFL caliber athlete it wasn’t the 40 but the breaks and accelerations on the ball drills. I do agree he will probably be in a camp and I wish him the best.

Unfortunately, average NFL combine times for WRs, CBs, and RBs are a shade under 4.5. A time around 4.7 would be disastrous.

DocBarrister
Except the best receiver in the NFL last year ran a 4.62 and only jumped 31 inches
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

Bacondoesstuff2 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:05 pm He is not even close to same size as woodhead...height wise. which makes all the difference in the world.

hopefully he did well today.
You are right, he is three inches taller than Woodhead according to the internet. My bad.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

keno in reno wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:46 am
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:53 am

DocBarrister
Except the best receiver in the NFL last year ran a 4.62 and only jumped 31 inches
He also had the most prolific receiving career in college football history. It's generally true that WRs don't make it in the league with times like those. Especially ones with no experience at the position. Kupp was an outlier we're unlikely to see again any time soon, if ever.

That said, I could see the Texans or Patriots giving Bernhardt a shot on the practice squad.
Bacondoesstuff2

Post by Bacondoesstuff2 »

Give the dude a chance. He looked pretty quick and fast, playing lacrosse and football, in game situations. The guys he's most often compared to, it took them a couple/few seasons to get going- Hogan, etc. If they see something in him, let him work at it until the dream is over.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Pretty sure we don't get a vote on whether he's given a chance.

Personally, I'd predict that he's going to do better than what raw numbers suggest, because I don't think performance is entirely about raw numbers....and he's a heck of a competitor.

That said, this is a data point of one, so there are all sorts of factors that could get in the way of this next level of athletic success for him. But if I had to bet a nickel, it'd be on his doing pretty darn well.
DALaxDad

Post by DALaxDad »

Edelman - 4.52, Amendola - 4.58. His speed is in the ballpark. I should think he will do well with ball security, lateral quickness, ability to read defenses and willingness to compete. He has proved hs is willing to get hit and get up and do it again, though the pros are something else. There are a bunch of other items it is hard to judge, including hands in traffic, strength and durability. He should be worth a shot for somebody. Good luck to him.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Here is Locksley discussing Bernhardt. Seems they had him in for a tryout before he went to Ferris.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=ja ... &FORM=VIRE
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

He's a good enough athlete to at least warrant an FA call to a camp. After that it will be up to the organization that sees a diamond in the rough and willing to allow him time to develop. I don't think that is as a quarterback but slot WR/special teams guy. I wouldn't be shocked if he made a team's practice squad.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

steel_hop wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:07 pm He's a good enough athlete to at least warrant an FA call to a camp. After that it will be up to the organization that sees a diamond in the rough and willing to allow him time to develop. I don't think that is as a quarterback but slot WR/special teams guy. I wouldn't be shocked if he made a team's practice squad.
Tom Kennedy from Bryant made the jump. The first time I saw him play I was stunned at his speed. Different gear. Hoping Jared lands. Very good guy.
“I wish you would!”
AreaLax

Post by AreaLax »

Per USA Lacrosse Magazine

JARED BERNHARDT
PRO DAY MEASUREMENTS
Height: 6-1 1/8
Weight: 189
40-yard dash: 4.70
Broad jump: 9.10
Shuttle: 4.21
3-cone drill: 6.89
Vertical: 32

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ll-pro-day
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

AreaLax wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:31 pm Per USA Lacrosse Magazine

JARED BERNHARDT
PRO DAY MEASUREMENTS
Height: 6-1 1/8
Weight: 189
40-yard dash: 4.70
Broad jump: 9.10
Shuttle: 4.21
3-cone drill: 6.89
Vertical: 32

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... ll-pro-day
Jared Bernhardt will not be considered “athletic” by NFL standards, which says much about the level of athleticism in the NFL.

Still, I think at least one team will be willing to pay him for a few weeks to evaluate him for a potential spot on the scout team. Even making the scout team will be tough, but who would be willing to wager against him?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
MoralTerpitude

Post by MoralTerpitude »

If he’s looking to play the receiver position, he would be judged on his hands, route running, catch radius, body control, etc. Teams will often choose kick returners based on pure athletic talent, with the intent of developing some of the other characteristics. JB doesn’t have the raw speed or burst that is typical of kick returners, and no one really knows about the rest of the listed characteristics because he’s never played WR in college. There are probably 50 guys coming out this year that won’t get drafted, but have better athletic traits, have trained as receivers, and are less of a gamble.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”