NESCAC

D3 Mens Lacrosse
HomerCoach

Re: NESCAC

Post by HomerCoach »

ah23 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:31 am Petition to move past the oft-repeated notion that “those kooky administrators are running NESCAC lacrosse into mediocrity!” because of how they handled last season.

A recent contender that did play last year has been shaky (Williams). Teams that didn’t play at all are either right where they were before the pandemic (Middlebury, scuffling along in mediocrity) or performing better than anyone expected (Bowdoin. Amherst). NESCAC administrators were absurdly overcautious last spring. Hard to argue that at this point. That isn’t going to prevent the conference from being [snooty voice incoming] the NESCAC moving forwards.
Look at the Ivy.
boredatwork

Post by boredatwork »

ah23 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:31 am (Middlebury, scuffling along in mediocrity)
Obviously Middlebury has some high standards and a history of national championship level programs, but mediocrity may be harsh with 3 losses to top 20 teams by 1, 3 and 4 goals is hardly "mediocre". If they lose a few more then I could see it but at this point I think that's a tad extreme.
smoova

Post by smoova »

boredatwork wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:48 am
ah23 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:31 am (Middlebury, scuffling along in mediocrity)
Obviously Middlebury has some high standards and a history of national championship level programs, but mediocrity may be harsh with 3 losses to top 20 teams by 1, 3 and 4 goals is hardly "mediocre". If they lose a few more then I could see it but at this point I think that's a tad extreme.
I won't speak for @ah23, but I interpreted "mediocrity" as relative to the rest of the NESCAC. IMO, that's a fair assessment at this point in the season: not quite as good as Tufts, Amherst, Williams, Wesleyan, Bowdoin ... slightly better than Conn, Trinity, Hamilton, Bates.
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

ah23 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 3:31 am Petition to move past the oft-repeated notion that “those kooky administrators are running NESCAC lacrosse into mediocrity!” because of how they handled last season.

A recent contender that did play last year has been shaky (Williams). Teams that didn’t play at all are either right where they were before the pandemic (Middlebury, scuffling along in mediocrity) or performing better than anyone expected (Bowdoin. Amherst). NESCAC administrators were absurdly overcautious last spring. Hard to argue that at this point. That isn’t going to prevent the conference from being [snooty voice incoming] the NESCAC moving forwards.
The reason most of the NESCAC and a couple of the Ivies will have an off year is Covid related but not due to the decisions of the administrators. It’s the decisions made by the student athletes that have decided to spend four years in “college”and move onto their jobs (Brown, Dartmouth and most of the NESCAC). As opposed to taking a fifth Covid year and delaying the workforce (Princeton, Yale, Harvard, Wesleyan, Tufts and most of the Liberty League, CNU, Salisbury etc.).

Not a judgment at all. Both are good paths, but the double senior class provides some strength on a relative basis. A chance at a National Championship is worth it, but the mid-level NESCACS are not likely at that level, so the boys are moving on.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

I'm a little surprised the refs allowed these jerseys for Tufts/Trinity--it's white vs off-white. Surely the home team should have their aways available, even if the visitors only brought one set?
Unknown Participant

Post by Unknown Participant »

SixBySix wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:33 pm I'm a little surprised the refs allowed these jerseys for Tufts/Trinity--it's white vs off-white. Surely the home team should have their aways available, even if the visitors only brought one set?
Apparently, the Tufts' jerseys were 90th anniversary jerseys, so, back in 1930, teams wore white and off white for games. I was not a fan of them.
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

No disrespect, but in this game, they could have played shirts and skins and it wouldn’t have affected the outcome. Of course you don’t want jerseys looking too similar but probably not the take home from this game.
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

Tough outing for Colby first year keeper to save 12 and give up 7 for a very respectable 63% save rate only for the guy across the field to give up 2 and save 24 (not a typo, assuming the stats person was "locked in" a la a hit to the head/neck region). Big tip of the Continental Cap to Seamus Fagan for a memorable goalie performance. He has been rock solid with a save rate above 63% in 6 out of 7 games this season.

Speaking of tipping caps, what a short clock set play drawn up and executed by Bowdoin (I want to say heading into halftime to extend their lead to 7 over Wesleyan). Bc it didn't seem like they had a team of videographers producing #content for social media impressions, it was a dead ball behind, Bowdoin clears a ton of space inside, and on the whistle a bounce pass gets thrown inside to space, cutter one-times it to the upper left. I am still thinking about it nearly 24 hours later. Put some respect on Bowdoin's name, they appear to be quite talented and well-coached. Next week's contest vs the Jeffs ought to give us an idea of the silver and bronze teams of the league.
Dave

Post by Dave »

unofficial power rankings for whatever week this is...1,2,3 and 11 feel pretty dialed in - plenty of variability for the rest

1. Tufts
2. Bowdoin
3. Amherst
4. Williams
5. Middlebury
6. Wesleyan
7. Conn
8. Hamilton
9. Colby
10. Trinity
11. Bates
Bystanders

Post by Bystanders »

Don’t agree on (3) above. They just lost to a 3-5 Springfield who was beat by MIT by 10 goals just three days later.

(1), (2) and (11) are set. The others are TBD.
NewEnglandNative

Post by NewEnglandNative »

Tufts is absolute rolling and I have to admit I loved the uniforms Saturday, but, after tufts I think there is a lot of lacrosse to be played to determine the rankings.
Muleski

Post by Muleski »

NewEnglandNative wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:44 pm Tufts is absolute rolling and I have to admit I loved the uniforms Saturday, but, after tufts I think there is a lot of lacrosse to be played to determine the rankings.

Truer Words Were Never Spoken.
Maconlaxdad3

Post by Maconlaxdad3 »

Watched some lacrosse and talked to a few friends of mine at work (car salesman) who played at Conn said the program is on the rise can anyone confirm lacrosse is in full speed in New London?
NewEnglandNative

Post by NewEnglandNative »

Maconlaxdad3 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:54 pm Watched some lacrosse and talked to a few friends of mine at work (car salesman) who played at Conn said the program is on the rise can anyone confirm lacrosse is in full speed in New London?
2-3 thus far with loses to Midd, Adelphi and Williams. Not sure your friends are right I hope they are better salesmen then lacrosse anaylist because I don't think Conn is quit there yet.
Maconlaxdad3

Post by Maconlaxdad3 »

NewEnglandNative wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:59 pm
Maconlaxdad3 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:54 pm Watched some lacrosse and talked to a few friends of mine at work (car salesman) who played at Conn said the program is on the rise can anyone confirm lacrosse is in full speed in New London?
2-3 thus far with loses to Midd, Adelphi and Williams. Not sure your friends are right I hope they are better salesmen then lacrosse anaylist because I don't think Conn is quit there yet.
Yeah, you are probably right just relaying information that is what the forum is all about, am I right? :lol:
he did say Tufts has been rolling can anyone confirm?
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Maconlaxdad3 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 pm
Yeah, you are probably right just relaying information that is what the forum is all about, am I right? :lol:
I can confirm Tufts is rolling :D
UpperCorner22

Post by UpperCorner22 »

pcowlax wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:54 pm
Maconlaxdad3 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 pm
I can confirm Tufts is rolling :D
Tufts offense is awesome. Their transition is awesome. Their close D honestly needs work to be a championship team. I am still fighting back the gag reflex from their uniforms last Saturday...

As far as Conn is concerned - the parity of teams is rising. They are going to have their moments. All the teams are getting better - but some are getting more better faster...
jlibcon

Post by jlibcon »

What a Conference! You guys are lucky to get to see those games live. I streamed a Tufts game a couple weeks ago, that was some great lacrosse.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Union giving Tufts a run...8-5 half Union.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
InsiderRoll

Post by InsiderRoll »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:57 pm Union giving Tufts a run...8-5 half Union.
Amazing what happens when you make it a half field game successfully with Tufts. 30 more to go, Union is very good.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”