Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
runrussellrun

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by runrussellrun »

flalax22 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 am
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 pm
zimmerman said on the broadcast that conry told him "Michigan didn't fear homewood". I hope those comments made their way to a permanent bulletin board at the cordish lacrosse center. I vaguely remember him mostly as a bench player. Those were fat words for a guy who wasn't the difference as a player and who despite one of the biggest brands in sports at any level hasn't achieved anything as a coach.
Did Conry sleep with your wife? Why all the hate? Tell ya what, Don Zimmerman is a very, very handsome man. Wouldn't mind sleeping with him.

There are a few “bench players” that have gone on to significant coaching positions. Conry has held many D1 coaching positions including DC at Maryland and landed one of the most sought after HC jobs in 2018. There have been a few ADs and D1 HCs that believe in him.
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am
steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:59 am
A three time captain, even if he was the leading scorer, would understand that the team is bigger than the player. I have no idea what the issue is or why he was effectively "benched" this weekend but no matter what the team is more important. I also like the fact the coach is making adjustments and holding players accountable. That is how it should be...something the past regime didn't do.
It definitely sends a message to the entire team. If your head is not in the game, you won't be either.
The last staff was all talk. This group takes action. They might not make the playoffs, but at least they're trying to win.
Didn't this new coach do the same thing last year? OR call some kids out (Epstein) publicly? Or was that Petro?
Petro was regularly castigated across social media for his behavior, this coach has his own form of accountability. Epstein from the outside looks like a young man mature beyond his years and I'm sure will handle this with professionalism. Lacrosse constantly complains that it isn't given the respect of bigger and better known sports and things like benchings are part of big boy college sports.

I didn't see any sort of media discussion of these changes. Zimmerman mentioned the program went to gamestop and did some team bonding last week and so it sounds like these changes have been under consideration for awhile. It's pretty clear for the rest of the season they're very committed to the angelus/degnon duo and are big believers in peshko.

Also saw Duke lost last weekend and there might have been a Hopkins tie in the coaching staff on the winning side. Not sure how long it's been since that happened, but good to finally see them lose to a current/former Hopkins coach.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I get it wg... and it's not often that I even kinda agree with Sag but his point is not out of the realm of reason given that I have certainly seen goal mouth calls not called. In fact, wasn't there a goal against Hopkins this year where virtually everyone agreed it should have been disallowed cause the kid was in the goal mouth? Let me be clear - by rule the correct call - but if you were ever going to let one go that was it - goal had long been scored - unintentional - barely stumbled through the crease goal mouth. Don't mind at all that it was called but have seen more blatant ones not called.
kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 pm Didn't this new coach do the same thing last year? OR call some kids out (Epstein) publicly? Or was that Petro?
Is this a serious question or trolling? Yes it was Milliman and yes it was Epstein. He did not start the second Michigan game last year and PM's published comments while fairly benign (and true) were controversial to say the least because they specifically mentioned Epstein and wasn't all roses and chocolates. The difference between this year and last was that if you paid attention last year he was inserted into the 2021 Michigan game fairly early in the process and played many of the important second half minutes. This year EMO only.

My other comment is the incident last year - IMO - has clearly influenced Milliman's communication both in quantity and substance. Last year - weekly e-mail updates to a mailing list that while were certainly not divulging game plans or anything but had some info to them. This year bupcus. Last year - providing an honest answer to a direct question - this year - sorry Sag - classic gobble d gook such as "buying into identities". The 2 minute video on jhusports of the Michigan game was all sunshine - classic coach speak "energy/cosistency/effort/alot of guys got to contribute which gave us energy and effort". I would love to hear if he took a question on the line-up changes or Epstein specifically - I would be willing to bet he answered quite differently than in '21

BTW - '06 I don't think they went to Gamestop - they went to an escape room outfit where you get "locked" in a room for an hour and have to figure out how to get out
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:07 pm I did say he wasn't a d1 player. I can root for the human and also question whether the kid belongs on the field. We'll see what happens now that rutgers has tape on him.
Stop digging and just take the L
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:24 pm I get it wg... and it's not often that I even kinda agree with Sag but his point is not out of the realm of reason given that I have certainly seen goal mouth calls not called. In fact, wasn't there a goal against Hopkins this year where virtually everyone agreed it should have been disallowed cause the kid was in the goal mouth? Let me be clear - by rule the correct call - but if you were ever going to let one go that was it - goal had long been scored - unintentional - barely stumbled through the crease goal mouth. Don't mind at all that it was called but have seen more blatant ones not called.
if you remember that one or another one that wasn't called let me know because i'd like to see it, try to find the film. i haven't witnessed any obvious ones myself that weren't whistled.

poitras/loyola stepped in the goalmouth vs duke, but it wasn't obvious and my guess the ref missed it.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

I saw #32 play in HS a lot in the DMV and in some games at Homewood his freshman year. Pre-injury he was simply a different player; there was elite, ankle-breaking quickness to go along with his stick/shooting skills. He also seemed like a great kid and leader in HS and his three-time captaincy at JHU is truly impressive. Would love to see him have a good end to this season/his career, perhaps as physical capabilities continue to re-set (a fifth year in the right system could be interesting).

As for Milliman, I understand that he's trying to push all the different buttons as the Hop goes into its Big 10, and one unfortunate collateral effect of all of this modern day lax coverage (which I mostly love) is that a high-profile player losing playing time plays out in public. I'm not sure how much can be concluded from the Michigan game, though -- the Wolverines have a lot of holes still; I think JHU wins with about the same score with Epstein in his prior role. I think Hop still has a bit of a high ceiling/low floor identity as a team, as we've seen, but they could get hot (MD might be out of reach but not the other Big 10 teams). I would also put myself in the category of those who think that Milliman himself, with his Friday/Sunday scheduling choices, has probably cost the team a couple of wins this year. He's a great recruiter (yes, you'll be getting some great Canadians) and guys play hard for him -- I've never thought he's a "game day adjustments" guy and as a scheduler he's a work in progress.
runrussellrun

Post by runrussellrun »

wgdsr wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:36 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:24 pm I get it wg... and it's not often that I even kinda agree with Sag but his point is not out of the realm of reason given that I have certainly seen goal mouth calls not called. In fact, wasn't there a goal against Hopkins this year where virtually everyone agreed it should have been disallowed cause the kid was in the goal mouth? Let me be clear - by rule the correct call - but if you were ever going to let one go that was it - goal had long been scored - unintentional - barely stumbled through the crease goal mouth. Don't mind at all that it was called but have seen more blatant ones not called.
if you remember that one or another one that wasn't called let me know because i'd like to see it, try to find the film. i haven't witnessed any obvious ones myself that weren't whistled.

poitras/loyola stepped in the goalmouth vs duke, but it wasn't obvious and my guess the ref missed it.
By rule (2009 rules) Cornell IS the n$aa Div. I mens lacrosse champion.

by rule

the scoring players clearly landed in the crease....a no no at the tyme. by rule.

also, think the shooter made contact with the goalie, prior to the ball crossing the goal line. Rule hasn't changed regardin goal crease priveledges, but that one is rarely, if ever enforced. Hard to see in real time.

But, yeah......YOU making that call, in that moment ? :D
ILM...Independent Lives Matter
Pronouns: "we" and "suck"
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

-51 you're correct, I was sort of rushing through the game video replay. The go back to ann arbor chants at the end of the michigan game were nice. Glad Conry and his boys didn't respond w/Juwan Howard/Will Smith behavior.
-Epstein has spent his entire career on national tv almost every week and has received more coverage than almost any player in the game the last few years. If you thought he was just going to go down to manup only and it wasn't going to be noticed or discussed and why you're living in another world.
-Yes I said bauer was not d1 quality. There were also posters here who said we should play out the string w/the same lineup. To pull Ian Krampf out of the bench was a sight which had to really have taken a lot of thought.
-A few of you like 51 are fond of posting that Benson did not recruit midfielders and when you look at that list I posted of the last 5 recruiting classes on offense and that was just a top of my head list of the changes I could perhaps see why guys were not playing as well as they could. You have exactly one guy-Peshko last week who has played the same position over the last two years that he was recruited at. That's an awful lot of turnover. I've been critical of Grant jr but putting together that list it sort of underscores the wild mixing and matching he's been forced to contend with and that doesn't count the stuff below the surface like injuries, matchups, daniels handcuffs, and other things.
-Other schools like loyola/cuse/maryland in some cases post the full post game press conferences and midweek media sessions. They don't do that at hopkins.
-Sounds like we will again be getting Rutgers at the apex of their powers, with a very young, very big crowd on hand ready to give us a new jersey welcome. I thought the syracuse roster construction was nuts with all the redshirt business but rutgers has 14 different schools listed as previous d1 stops for their talent and that doesn't include incoming kids who might have had previous commitments.
https://scarletknights.com/news/2022/3/ ... wards.aspx
https://www.onthebanks.com/2022/3/25/22 ... ns-hopkins
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:43 pm -51 you're correct, I was sort of rushing through the game video replay. The go back to ann arbor chants at the end of the michigan game were nice. Glad Conry and his boys didn't respond w/Juwan Howard/Will Smith behavior.
-Epstein has spent his entire career on national tv almost every week and has received more coverage than almost any player in the game the last few years. If you thought he was just going to go down to manup only and it wasn't going to be noticed or discussed and why you're living in another world.
-Yes I said bauer was not d1 quality. There were also posters here who said we should play out the string w/the same lineup. To pull Ian Krampf out of the bench was a sight which had to really have taken a lot of thought.
-A few of you like 51 are fond of posting that Benson did not recruit midfielders and when you look at that list I posted of the last 5 recruiting classes on offense and that was just a top of my head list of the changes I could perhaps see why guys were not playing as well as they could. You have exactly one guy-Peshko last week who has played the same position over the last two years that he was recruited at. That's an awful lot of turnover. I've been critical of Grant jr but putting together that list it sort of underscores the wild mixing and matching he's been forced to contend with and that doesn't count the stuff below the surface like injuries, matchups, daniels handcuffs, and other things.
-Other schools like loyola/cuse/maryland in some cases post the full post game press conferences and midweek media sessions. They don't do that at hopkins.
-Sounds like we will again be getting Rutgers at the apex of their powers, with a very young, very big crowd on hand ready to give us a new jersey welcome. I thought the syracuse roster construction was nuts with all the redshirt business but rutgers has 14 different schools listed as previous d1 stops for their talent and that doesn't include incoming kids who might have had previous commitments.
https://scarletknights.com/news/2022/3/ ... wards.aspx
https://www.onthebanks.com/2022/3/25/22 ... ns-hopkins
Who recruited Joel Tinney? Joel definitely was an impact midfielder.
“I wish you would!”
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

For all the incessant crying about attendance:

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

the attendance is me and good for utah and denver building those things up

tinney-congrats.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:43 pm To pull Ian Krampf out of the bench was a sight which had to really have taken a lot of thought.
Do you not remember that he was playing with the 1s during early season scrimmages? That he was one of the first guys off the bench in the lineup shake ups doesn't seem like a surprise. He was likely already knocking on the door in practice.
molo

Post by molo »

Stay out of the crease.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:00 pm
jhu06 wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:43 pm To pull Ian Krampf out of the bench was a sight which had to really have taken a lot of thought.
Do you not remember that he was playing with the 1s during early season scrimmages? That he was one of the first guys off the bench in the lineup shake ups doesn't seem like a surprise. He was likely already knocking on the door in practice.
I do not.
CrookedJay

Post by CrookedJay »

Benching of Epstein does not make sense unless something in practice/film room/classroom/off field took place and, based on what I’ve been told about the young man, he is a model human so that is unlikely.

I agree with the poster that we should have been able to beat Michigan without him so it somewhat defeats the purpose of it all. I’m not too impressed if the coach has to keep making an “example” of the same player (against the same team) rather than getting more/different from the player.

Kevin Conry was a great man down defender and one of the best teammates you could have. Not surprised he is having success or that he is not afraid of Homewood…
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

kramerica.inc wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:26 pm Didn't this new coach do the same thing last year? OR call some kids out (Epstein) publicly? Or was that Petro?
Is this a serious question or trolling? Yes it was Milliman and yes it was Epstein. He did not start the second Michigan game last year and PM's published comments while fairly benign (and true) were controversial to say the least because they specifically mentioned Epstein and wasn't all roses and chocolates. The difference between this year and last was that if you paid attention last year he was inserted into the 2021 Michigan game fairly early in the process and played many of the important second half minutes. This year EMO only.

My other comment is the incident last year - IMO - has clearly influenced Milliman's communication both in quantity and substance. Last year - weekly e-mail updates to a mailing list that while were certainly not divulging game plans or anything but had some info to them. This year bupcus. Last year - providing an honest answer to a direct question - this year - sorry Sag - classic gobble d gook such as "buying into identities". The 2 minute video on jhusports of the Michigan game was all sunshine - classic coach speak "energy/cosistency/effort/alot of guys got to contribute which gave us energy and effort". I would love to hear if he took a question on the line-up changes or Epstein specifically - I would be willing to bet he answered quite differently than in '21

BTW - '06 I don't think they went to Gamestop - they went to an escape room outfit where you get "locked" in a room for an hour and have to figure out how to get out
It was a legit question. Couldn’t remember the circumstances. If it’s happened again, it’s fair to say the two don’t see eye to eye on expectations or output. And perhaps Coach thinks Epstein has backslid or had a more serious offense. We don’t know what’s happening in practices. It had to be something to bench your team’s leading career points getter.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Jacob Angelus of
is the Co-Offensive Player of the Week!
🥍 ‍ Set career highs in points (7), goals (3) and assists (4) in 15-12 win vs. Michigan
🥍 ‍ Notched 4 points (1G, 3A) on Hopkins' final 6 goals

One of PM's best weeks up there with the cuse win and big ten tournament. Two ugly losses, turned the offense over and a long time player had a career week.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

CrookedJay wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 pm Benching of Epstein does not make sense unless something in practice/film room/classroom/off field took place and, based on what I’ve been told about the young man, he is a model human so that is unlikely.

I agree with the poster that we should have been able to beat Michigan without him so it somewhat defeats the purpose of it all. I’m not too impressed if the coach has to keep making an “example” of the same player (against the same team) rather than getting more/different from the player.
The only thing I can take away from these sort of comments is that some of you don't actually watch the games. For the balance of this season there have been multiple players out there not playing to expectations or the necessary level to get the job done and run things on the offensive end. I generally doubt this is coach "sending a message" by benching specific players, this is the coaching staff re-evaluating their talent and refreshing the lineup card accordingly because the combination they kept trotting out there every week was simply not getting the job done and executing the way they needed to. The offense was/is broken, this is an attempt to try and fix it.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:25 am
CrookedJay wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:59 pm Benching of Epstein does not make sense unless something in practice/film room/classroom/off field took place and, based on what I’ve been told about the young man, he is a model human so that is unlikely.

The only thing I can take away from these sort of comments is that some of you don't actually watch the games. For the balance of this season there have been multiple players out there not playing to expectations or the necessary level to get the job done and run things on the offensive end. I generally doubt this is coach "sending a message" by benching specific players, this is the coaching staff re-evaluating their talent and refreshing the lineup card accordingly because the combination they kept trotting out there every week was simply not getting the job done and executing the way they needed to. The offense was/is broken, this is an attempt to try and fix it.
You can't fault the coach for shaking up his lineup when the offense was not clicking. By putting Angelus and Bauer at attack he added a lot more speed and quickness to his attack and it paid off. Between the two of them they had 10 points. The problem with Epstein was ball security. Guys would just walk up to him and take the ball away. When you are struggling to get possessions, that sort of thing kills your offense. Bauer was also a help on clearing and gbs. I note that Dylan Maltz is now playing EMO only for UMD and Bubba Fairman is playing ssdm. Coaches have to sometimes move players around for the benefit of the team.
Bauer Power.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

I'm glad the offense looked a bit better last weekend and hope that continues but what's happened on the other end is more noteworthy IMO: Jays are 18th in the country in adjusted defensive efficiency. I think they were something like 55th at the end of the abbreviated 2020 season? There is still a ton of room for improvement obviously but that jump in 1.5 seasons (and just 1 actual offseason) is a testament to the new staff, particularly Coach K.

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ings/59249

With an RPI of 13 the Jays are not yet completely out of the at-large hunt. They however must win at least one of the next two games. Unfortunately, both are on the road in places we haven't historically played that well.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”