D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

D1 Mens Lacrosse
SCLaxAttack

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by SCLaxAttack »

Ivyman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 am One minor error I found so far: the first photo depicting Mark Webster dodging against "Princeton" was actually against Brown. Back then teams only had one tarbucket helmet, and Brown's ironically were white. Princeton's were black. Also with magnification you can read the inscription on the sweatpants.

As mentioned above, a lot of great stuff about the scarcity of wooden sticks in Baltimore, which we didn't face with the reservation right up the then nonexistent Rt 81. If I broke my stick then my heart was broken for as long as it took to break in a new one. (Stick. Not heart.)

Another equipment/uniform thing: even in the 70s some teams dressed up their helmets with colored panels. Then some decals started to appear. It got to be a thing. Cornell player's would joke about Richie's ironclad resistance to the trend, giving us the plainest most boring helmets in lacrosse. Personally, I would go back to those in a heartbeat if it meant the "huggy bear" decals would be gone forever. :roll:
"Colored panels" - you're being too kind. :lol: That implies a level of sophistication. It was colored tape not much nicer than duct tape, usually on every other panel on your bucket. Two pieces of tape per panel did the trick. The color would usually match the stripe on the knee high tube socks worn with black Riddells.
CU77

Re: D1 lax history: Christian Swezey's new We Told Baltimore book (oldhead-certified)

Post by CU77 »

Ivyman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 am Cornell player's would joke about Richie's ironclad resistance to the trend, giving us the plainest most boring helmets in lacrosse. Personally, I would go back to those in a heartbeat if it meant the "huggy bear" decals would be gone forever. :roll:
Another not-fan of the huggy bear here ... when did that come into existence anyway?

Ivyman, what years did you play? (Just curious, no need to answer if you'd rather not divulge.)

And for those who don't already know, I was never a player, only a fan ...
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Check your PMs. ;)
renault

Post by renault »

FMUBart wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:31 pm Jackie Moran was the long time coach of LI power Chaminade...
slight correction: Jack Moran is the long time coach of LI power Chaminade
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

renault wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:13 pm
FMUBart wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:31 pm Jackie Moran was the long time coach of LI power Chaminade...
slight correction: Jack Moran is the long time coach of LI power Chaminade
Wow! I was told he now was an administrator and no longer coaching...Jack was my "coach" at the Richie Moran Quick Stick camp 40 years ago!!
drunkmonkey30

Post by drunkmonkey30 »

SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm
Ivyman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:53 am One minor error I found so far: the first photo depicting Mark Webster dodging against "Princeton" was actually against Brown. Back then teams only had one tarbucket helmet, and Brown's ironically were white. Princeton's were black. Also with magnification you can read the inscription on the sweatpants.

As mentioned above, a lot of great stuff about the scarcity of wooden sticks in Baltimore, which we didn't face with the reservation right up the then nonexistent Rt 81. If I broke my stick then my heart was broken for as long as it took to break in a new one. (Stick. Not heart.)

Another equipment/uniform thing: even in the 70s some teams dressed up their helmets with colored panels. Then some decals started to appear. It got to be a thing. Cornell player's would joke about Richie's ironclad resistance to the trend, giving us the plainest most boring helmets in lacrosse. Personally, I would go back to those in a heartbeat if it meant the "huggy bear" decals would be gone forever. :roll:
"Colored panels" - you're being too kind. :lol: That implies a level of sophistication. It was colored tape not much nicer than duct tape, usually on every other panel on your bucket. Two pieces of tape per panel did the trick. The color would usually match the stripe on the knee high tube socks worn with black Riddells.
:lol: lasted until the mid 90's....I still have my college bucket with orange duct tape. :D
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

drunkmonkey30 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:10 pm
SCLaxAttack wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:03 pm

:lol: lasted until the mid 90's....I still have my college bucket with orange duct tape. :D
:lol: Too funny, Hobart had orange panels...and yes, they matched our tube socks!! Don't get me started on our orange polyester butt huggers; my kids still crack on me for those beauties!
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

To correct a misstatement on my part, Cornell's game against Harvard on Saturday April 9th is a home game at Schoellkopf Field, not in Cambridge. So Cornell plays Harvard at home on April 9th and travels to the Carrier Dome on April 11th to play Syracuse at 7 PM, a Monday night game. Meanwhile, Syracuse's previous game is Thursday April 7th at Albany.
DMac

Post by DMac »

laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:22 am
CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:59 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm Any place these facts can be verified? Sounds very odd, particularly the not by mutual agreement part.
Swezey's book, p.43:
The Big Red arrived in Charlottesville from its spring break trip down south on April 1 [1970]. The next morning, hours before the game was set to begin, Moran recalls, he was awakened in his hotel room by a phone call and by a steady stream of rain outside. He was told the Virginia was canceling the game because of rain; its coaches were worried about ruining the grass playing surface so early in the season and had already told the referees, coming from Baltimore, not to make the three-hour trip. Moran was incandescent with anger. He offered to pay for referees out of his own pocket if they would travel to Charlottesville in case the weather improved. Virginia said "no". Moran eyed the Virginia schedule and noticed it did not have a game the following weekend. He persuaded Harvard, Cornell's opponent that weekend, to move their contest to May and asked Virginia to travel to Ithaca. Again, the Cavaliers said "no". The game was canceled. To Moran and many of his players, it was another sign of disrespect from the Big Five.
Now, fast forwarding to this year, I'd like to know why Syracuse requested that this year's Cornell game be played on Monday night April 11th rather than the longstanding tradition of a Tuesday game. Yes, I was told by an unimpeachable source that this was at Syracuse's request. Cornell plays at Harvard the Saturday before while Syracuse visits Albany the Thursday before, giving The Orange a distinct advantage in preparation time and in recovery time after a game. Perhaps a Syracuse fan can investigate and report back.
My bold.

Nope, not according to the schedule. Inaccurate pizzin' and moanin'.
APR 9 (SAT) 3:00 P.M.
IVY LEAGUE
#11 HARVARD UNIVERSITY
ITHACA, N.Y. SCHOELLKOPF FIELD
ESPN+ RADIO: WHCU (870 AM, 97.7 FM)
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:27 pm
laxfan1313 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:22 am
CU77 wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:59 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:31 pm Any place these facts can be verified? Sounds very odd, particularly the not by mutual agreement part.
Swezey's book, p.43:
The Big Red arrived in Charlottesville from its spring break trip down south on April 1 [1970]. The next morning, hours before the game was set to begin, Moran recalls, he was awakened in his hotel room by a phone call and by a steady stream of rain outside. He was told the Virginia was canceling the game because of rain; its coaches were worried about ruining the grass playing surface so early in the season and had already told the referees, coming from Baltimore, not to make the three-hour trip. Moran was incandescent with anger. He offered to pay for referees out of his own pocket if they would travel to Charlottesville in case the weather improved. Virginia said "no". Moran eyed the Virginia schedule and noticed it did not have a game the following weekend. He persuaded Harvard, Cornell's opponent that weekend, to move their contest to May and asked Virginia to travel to Ithaca. Again, the Cavaliers said "no". The game was canceled. To Moran and many of his players, it was another sign of disrespect from the Big Five.
Now, fast forwarding to this year, I'd like to know why Syracuse requested that this year's Cornell game be played on Monday night April 11th rather than the longstanding tradition of a Tuesday game. Yes, I was told by an unimpeachable source that this was at Syracuse's request. Cornell plays at Harvard the Saturday before while Syracuse visits Albany the Thursday before, giving The Orange a distinct advantage in preparation time and in recovery time after a game. Perhaps a Syracuse fan can investigate and report back.
My bold.

Nope, not according to the schedule. Inaccurate pizzin' and moanin'.
APR 9 (SAT) 3:00 P.M.
IVY LEAGUE
#11 HARVARD UNIVERSITY
ITHACA, N.Y. SCHOELLKOPF FIELD
ESPN+ RADIO: WHCU (870 AM, 97.7 FM)
I corrected my inadvertent error re the location of the Cornell-Harvard game in the post immediately prior to your post. Apparently you failed to notice. What hasn't changed is that Syracuse has approximately twice as much time as does Cornell to prepare for the Cornell-Syracuse game.
Meanwhile, here's further documentation that a Tuesday night lacrosse game leaves enough time (3 days) to set up a monster truck show occurring on the following Saturday. See fact #4.

https://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/st ... /91122772/
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

They’re college kids for chrissakes, much ado about nothing, Cornell will fine vs Cuse with 2 days between.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Zactly....much pizzin' and moanin' about nuthin'.
Careful with the cursing....although that's damn near swearing.

More documentation, 3 days. Tue, Wed, Thu....open Friday evening.
Loco and Thang take center stage Saturday.

Say, Mr. Wildhack, this is Gary. Listen, Cornell is looking like they're going to have a pretty darn good team this year so I'm going to schedule our meeting with them on Monday night this year in order to short them on down time between games. I'm sure I can come up with a story as to why the game is on Monday this year and make it sound as if we're not really just trying to stick it their asz a little bit. You okay with that?
Who you playing?
Cornell.
Cornell!!! Well hell yeah, go ahead and stick it in their asz...and hey, get as many red shirts on the sideline and in the game as you can too.

That's how it all really went down.....well in the mind's of some (maybe just one) anyway.

No, I didn't see your inadvertent error (is that redundant) statement, I stumbled upon the
fake news when looking at the schedule. Was going to tell you if you pass the Harvard bus
on your way to Cambridge, turn around and follow it. You'll get to the game for sure that way.
nomofogo

Post by nomofogo »

I recall coach Moran on establishing Cornell's work ethic saying we can play Maryland on Thursday, Hopkins on Friday and Virginia on Saturday. No fear.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

that kinds of mid-season scheduling can do a lot to prepare you for post-season play. But you gotta take care of business so that you MAKE the post season!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

nomofogo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:58 am I recall coach Moran on establishing Cornell's work ethic saying we can play Maryland on Thursday, Hopkins on Friday and Virginia on Saturday. No fear.
Most of these kids played in 2-3 games in a day or had multiple midweek games in hs. They will be ready physically, but probably not game-plan, prep-wise. As long as the opponents are in similar situations, I think it's all good. I personally think 2-3 days prep is usually plenty fine for college teams.
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

Give Syracuse a break. Notre Dame gave their D a 22 goal haircut. Did they stop at 22 because ......Naaahhh. Couldn't be.:mrgreen:

Worse, they gonna be MAD at UAlbany. And they'll prolly still be "seeing red" on Monday. I wish they beat ND. Then better for Cornell if we win OR lose against SU .
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

DMac wrote: Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:41 pm Was going to tell you if you pass the Harvard bus
on your way to Cambridge, turn around and follow it.
Uh DMac... It's a stretch Limo. Actually four stretch limos. Harvard don't ride no steenkin' busses.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Ivyman wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:43 pm Give Syracuse a break. Notre Dame gave their D a 22 goal haircut. Did they stop at 22 because ......Naaahhh. Couldn't be.:mrgreen:

Worse, they gonna be MAD at UAlbany. And they'll prolly still be "seeing red" on Monday. I wish they beat ND. Then better for Cornell if we win OR lose against SU .
Aint none of that matters, Big Red always come into the Dome all kinds of fired up lookin' to spank Cuse in their house (the one with all the NC banners hangin' in it). Quite a few Cornell fans make the trip, they're all jacked up and make a lot of noise too. Pretty darn good environment to play in, two good and knowledgeable fan bases, two good teams most of the time.
All will be well with both teams despite Gary's trying to stick in Cornell's asz a little bit. :D
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:16 pm
nomofogo wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:58 am I recall coach Moran on establishing Cornell's work ethic saying we can play Maryland on Thursday, Hopkins on Friday and Virginia on Saturday. No fear.
Most of these kids played in 2-3 games in a day or had multiple midweek games in hs. They will be ready physically, but probably not game-plan, prep-wise. As long as the opponents are in similar situations, I think it's all good. I personally think 2-3 days prep is usually plenty fine for college teams.
Buczek says: Here's the game plan: shutdown Curry & Tucker and we win. Let's go boys!
Ivyman

Post by Ivyman »

DMac wrote: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:34 pm Big Red always come into the Dome all kinds of fired up lookin' to spank Cuse in their house (the one with all the NC banners hangin' in it).
Izzat the same place named after an air conditioning company? Yet ISN"T air conditioned? :shock:

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”