Loyola Greyhounds 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Loyolalaxgrad

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2022

Post by Loyolalaxgrad »

kramerica.inc wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:34 am All good and great. But being a recent grad or current dad, you still aren't at practices.

Tough to give new guys a shot when they don't produce consistently in practice. And the guys who are next in line, or NOT playing will always tell you they deserve a shot. Whether they do, or not. Flashes don't earn shots in games, consistency does.

If these young kids get a chance and lose us more games, do you take blame for the decision, or just disappear (as fast as you registered here) never to be heard from again?

:lol:
You missed the main point of the post is that the same players that are not playing well during games are the same ones that are not doing well in practice. All I am saying is that there are some solid younger and even older players that deserve a shot to play. If you are okay with mediocrity we can stay with the same line up.

There are a few that are carrying there weight, as PB pointed out and my blunder Higgins is coming on, James and Kamish are solid, I believe they are our best, as of now.

We have not seen consistent play from our starters, all we see is flashes, that will not cut it if you want to make a run. We played well for three quarters against Duke and almost lost it in the fourth

Why not give Mcgorry a run with Higgins and James, there is not a drop off, again we have seen what others have do and it is not impressive.
loyola2025

Post by loyola2025 »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:04 am
Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:16 am
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:03 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:39 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:55 pm
Loyolalax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:45 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:44 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:56 am Just shocked at this season. One turnover from a final four last year and bringing back 9 of 11 starters and a pre season #6 or 7 ranking to this??? Just boggles my mind. What is so depressing is the young guys (Higgins, James and Kamish) are producing like expected or better. These three will, along with Poitras, be the backbone of the team the next year or two. Just can’t figure out what has happened to our defense. Way too many easy step down shots. Way too many easy goals. The fact is that they all were better last year. Olmsted and Lindley were better last year also. Just not sure where they go from here. Every game except MD they were winning early and then give up a ton of goals in second half. Even in their wins they looked bad in second half. Does playing only 7 guys on offense the whole game cause them
To be tired? Something needs to be done to salvage season. Maybe it’s time for some of the young recruits to see some time to see if they’ve got what it takes
I think you need to take another look at last season. There is nothing mind boggling going on whatsoever. Last year, we lost to UVA, Lehigh, Towson Army, and Navy, with wins over Richmond, Utah, Lafayette, and Bucknell. How can you say this year is so much different? What happened last year after a rough start is that we found a way to win close games. It's not fair to remember that we were one possession away from the final four, but not remember that we started the season 5-5 against a weaker schedule than this year's.
No comparison when it comes to season. There were no Ivies last year. No patriot league championship. No play offs.

What we are seeing is no leadership by our 5 th yrs. And the same mistakes every game
The comparison was Loyola last season to Loyola this season. Ivies have nothing to do with it.

My point is what we're seeing from Loyola at this point in the season is very similar to what we saw from Loyola at this point last season, so I don't understand why people are surprised.
I’m surprised because last years team had young guys playing more minutes than this year. This year’s team is all veterans. ALL VETERANS. Last year Poitras and Higgins were freshmen. Kamish was hurt. James was hurt. Yet they were one GB from final four. Other than Wyers being a bit banged up we’ve had zero games lost to starters. Zero. Logically this team should be better than last years team. They are not.
I could not disagree more. Three points:
  1. This is not the same team as last year. Matt Higgins was by far our best SSDM and Peter Swindell was our best outside shooter. We lost both to graduation. They were difference makers.
  2. We are playing a more difficult schedule this year. We replaced UVA, Richmond, and Utah with UMD, Rutgers, and Hopkins, and also added Duke. Take a look at what UMD did to UVA last week, and today Rutgers destroyed #8 Ohio State 18-7.
  3. Even if we had the same roster and played the same schedule, there are so many elements that factor into wins/losses and the story line of a season that it's not reasonable to expect the same results. We like to talk about how we were one GB away from the final four last year, but what about the fact that we were 1 goal away from losing to Army in the PL semis, or one Shafer save away from losing to Denver in the NCAA first round? If a couple small things had played out slightly differently last year, we could have fallen far short of the NCAA quarterfinals. The same applies to this season. A few more saves here and there, or better shot placement in a few cases, and we could be sitting at 6-2. The fact is: this year's results just aren't that different from last year's.
Now that we're celebrating the 10-year anniversary of our 2012 National Championship, I look back at how many things had to go exactly right for that team to win it all. We played some close games, including OT. A few slightly different results - a save here or a GB there, and the outcome could have been different. The next year, in 2013, we had nearly the exact same team, minus Lusby, Layne, and Grimm, and the outcome was quite different. A lot of things have to conspire to enable success. The players aren't robots, so the results aren't the same every time they take the field.
I am recent Loyola grad that has played for Coach Toomey. I know some of the players and are still in contact with them. I have read these comments, while some are true, there are alot of misconceptions. And I can tell you there are some issues with the team and how the season is going. I know that some will say I am airing dirty laundry, but what is being said is mostly speculation with no fact basis,

Offense. We are a terrible shooting team. We have players that have played for 5 years and are not showing that experience and leadership. Olmstead leads the team with turnovers, Our team shooting percentage is 26%, 1-11 against Army for Olmstead. Lindley has struggled also. Others that are struggling, Poitras 26%, Lindsay 12%, Wigley 9%, these are our starters. Our offense needs initiators and creators from the Middies. I would say Kamish and Evans are the only ones that I have seen that can. I would add in Seay and Bateman, but for some reason, they have been benched. Lindsay and Binney seem to get all the talk, but they have not done much in 8 games. Binney has a great step down, but that is about it. We need to run a motion offense to get players open. Second half of Army, we dodged , while 5 guys watched, there were no off ball movement.

Defense. Agree, Wyers is hobbled. But he is still our best defender. It would be great to rest him, but who do you put in? James is injured, Is it VanderHueval, he has had very limited play time. Rezanka and Mcnulty are beasts and are playing extremely well. Sally, still making fundamental errors that are leading to goals, against Army was beat to the middle multiple times that led to goals. Need to play your best in big time games. Sherwood and Mcgillicuddy are a liability. The funniest line was the Mcgillicuddy is getting better, so what they are saying is that he is not giving up as many goals as he did in the beginning, and that is considered an improvement. SSDM is the toughest position on the field, but you cannot give up easy goals, dont let them get to the middle and that is what sherwood and Mcgillicuddy do routinely. In regards to Benus, his time has come and gone, his missing of fall ball hurt him and leaves him trying to get in shape to paly

Fogo and Goalie, Shafer and Savio keep doing what you do

Overall, There are problems in the locker room. Players do not trust each other or feel that are noting getting a fair chance. They see the same mistakes being made in practice and in games and there is no changes. It seems them that play time is based on last name and who you know. It may not be true, but perception is reality. Remember when we sat Shafer last year for a game? He came back and played like an all american, because he new he was on a short leash. Why not do that to an Olmstead, Sherwood, Lindsay etc. Maybe you will find someone that can do it better, kind of like when they sat Drew Bledsoe and started a young Tom Brady. From what I hear is that these players make the same mistakes in practice that they do in games. Time to see what others can do, there are younger and even older players that would love to have an opportunity to screw up in a game like the above players mentioned.

The excuses that we only lost by one goal or this is a tough ocs, yes it is. Prior to last year we played Duke, Rutgers, UVA, Hopkins Georgetown and towson. The only change this year is Maryland for UVA. Our loses to Hopkins, Townson, Rutgers and Army, if we increased our shooting percentage 5% to 27%, which is still incredibly low, we win those games, We should be 7-1

What happened to the team I saw scrimmage Villanova last fall? Crisp ball movement, great defense, where has that team gone.

It is time for Coach Toomey to right the ship, it is time to make some changes and with changes comes risk, but we cannot keep doing what we aer doing.
I think some of the Loyola faithful will have their eyes opened after the season, there is talk of players entering the portal and transfering. But that discussion is for another time
Great post about the locker room. My kid talks to boys on the team And that is exactly what he says they are saying. There is frustration. Seniors who don’t play and freshmen that don’t play are watching the same guys make the same mistakes game after game. Seay and Bateman were guys that were supposed to be veteran help. They haven’t played in weeks. We have a couple highly rated freshmen who haven’t gotten a sniff. You can’t convince me it’s because these kids aren’t working hard in practice because it’s every freshman and almost every non starter who never sees the field.
Time to see what some of these kids can do before season ends
My son says the same thing about the locker room, That there is a deep frustration with lack of leadership on the team. The one leader that was appointed by the coaching staff to be a captain, has been buried. There are other seniors who are consistent at practice day in and day out, and are better, but never get a chance.

And I do believe there will be some exodus, from what I have heard from other parents and players. Not happy with the inconsistency of the coaching staff with dealing with players. There maybe some truth to what your last name is and who you know. I thought that was over in HS, guess not
lorin

Post by lorin »

loyola2025 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:42 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:03 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:39 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:55 pm
Loyolalax wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 3:45 pm
GreyingHound wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:44 pm
Laxmaninamillion wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:56 am Just shocked at this season. One turnover from a final four last year and bringing back 9 of 11 starters and a pre season #6 or 7 ranking to this??? Just boggles my mind. What is so depressing is the young guys (Higgins, James and Kamish) are producing like expected or better. These three will, along with Poitras, be the backbone of the team the next year or two. Just can’t figure out what has happened to our defense. Way too many easy step down shots. Way too many easy goals. The fact is that they all were better last year. Olmsted and Lindley were better last year also. Just not sure where they go from here. Every game except MD they were winning early and then give up a ton of goals in second half. Even in their wins they looked bad in second half. Does playing only 7 guys on offense the whole game cause them
To be tired? Something needs to be done to salvage season. Maybe it’s time for some of the young recruits to see some time to see if they’ve got what it takes
I think you need to take another look at last season. There is nothing mind boggling going on whatsoever. Last year, we lost to UVA, Lehigh, Towson Army, and Navy, with wins over Richmond, Utah, Lafayette, and Bucknell. How can you say this year is so much different? What happened last year after a rough start is that we found a way to win close games. It's not fair to remember that we were one possession away from the final four, but not remember that we started the season 5-5 against a weaker schedule than this year's.
No comparison when it comes to season. There were no Ivies last year. No patriot league championship. No play offs.

What we are seeing is no leadership by our 5 th yrs. And the same mistakes every game
The comparison was Loyola last season to Loyola this season. Ivies have nothing to do with it.

My point is what we're seeing from Loyola at this point in the season is very similar to what we saw from Loyola at this point last season, so I don't understand why people are surprised.
I’m surprised because last years team had young guys playing more minutes than this year. This year’s team is all veterans. ALL VETERANS. Last year Poitras and Higgins were freshmen. Kamish was hurt. James was hurt. Yet they were one GB from final four. Other than Wyers being a bit banged up we’ve had zero games lost to starters. Zero. Logically this team should be better than last years team. They are not.
I could not disagree more. Three points:
  1. This is not the same team as last year. Matt Higgins was by far our best SSDM and Peter Swindell was our best outside shooter. We lost both to graduation. They were difference makers.
  2. We are playing a more difficult schedule this year. We replaced UVA, Richmond, and Utah with UMD, Rutgers, and Hopkins, and also added Duke. Take a look at what UMD did to UVA last week, and today Rutgers destroyed #8 Ohio State 18-7.
  3. Even if we had the same roster and played the same schedule, there are so many elements that factor into wins/losses and the story line of a season that it's not reasonable to expect the same results. We like to talk about how we were one GB away from the final four last year, but what about the fact that we were 1 goal away from losing to Army in the PL semis, or one Shafer save away from losing to Denver in the NCAA first round? If a couple small things had played out slightly differently last year, we could have fallen far short of the NCAA quarterfinals. The same applies to this season. A few more saves here and there, or better shot placement in a few cases, and we could be sitting at 6-2. The fact is: this year's results just aren't that different from last year's.
Now that we're celebrating the 10-year anniversary of our 2012 National Championship, I look back at how many things had to go exactly right for that team to win it all. We played some close games, including OT. A few slightly different results - a save here or a GB there, and the outcome could have been different. The next year, in 2013, we had nearly the exact same team, minus Lusby, Layne, and Grimm, and the outcome was quite different. A lot of things have to conspire to enable success. The players aren't robots, so the results aren't the same every time they take the field.
I am recent Loyola grad that has played for Coach Toomey. I know some of the players and are still in contact with them. I have read these comments, while some are true, there are alot of misconceptions. And I can tell you there are some issues with the team and how the season is going. I know that some will say I am airing dirty laundry, but what is being said is mostly speculation with no fact basis,

Offense. We are a terrible shooting team. We have players that have played for 5 years and are not showing that experience and leadership. Olmstead leads the team with turnovers, Our team shooting percentage is 26%, 1-11 against Army for Olmstead. Lindley has struggled also. Others that are struggling, Poitras 26%, Lindsay 12%, Wigley 9%, these are our starters. Our offense needs initiators and creators from the Middies. I would say Kamish and Evans are the only ones that I have seen that can. I would add in Seay and Bateman, but for some reason, they have been benched. Lindsay and Binney seem to get all the talk, but they have not done much in 8 games. Binney has a great step down, but that is about it. We need to run a motion offense to get players open. Second half of Army, we dodged , while 5 guys watched, there were no off ball movement.

Defense. Agree, Wyers is hobbled. But he is still our best defender. It would be great to rest him, but who do you put in? James is injured, Is it VanderHueval, he has had very limited play time. Rezanka and Mcnulty are beasts and are playing extremely well. Sally, still making fundamental errors that are leading to goals, against Army was beat to the middle multiple times that led to goals. Need to play your best in big time games. Sherwood and Mcgillicuddy are a liability. The funniest line was the Mcgillicuddy is getting better, so what they are saying is that he is not giving up as many goals as he did in the beginning, and that is considered an improvement. SSDM is the toughest position on the field, but you cannot give up easy goals, dont let them get to the middle and that is what sherwood and Mcgillicuddy do routinely. In regards to Benus, his time has come and gone, his missing of fall ball hurt him and leaves him trying to get in shape to paly

Fogo and Goalie, Shafer and Savio keep doing what you do

Overall, There are problems in the locker room. Players do not trust each other or feel that are noting getting a fair chance. They see the same mistakes being made in practice and in games and there is no changes. It seems them that play time is based on last name and who you know. It may not be true, but perception is reality. Remember when we sat Shafer last year for a game? He came back and played like an all american, because he new he was on a short leash. Why not do that to an Olmstead, Sherwood, Lindsay etc. Maybe you will find someone that can do it better, kind of like when they sat Drew Bledsoe and started a young Tom Brady. From what I hear is that these players make the same mistakes in practice that they do in games. Time to see what others can do, there are younger and even older players that would love to have an opportunity to screw up in a game like the above players mentioned.

The excuses that we only lost by one goal or this is a tough ocs, yes it is. Prior to last year we played Duke, Rutgers, UVA, Hopkins Georgetown and towson. The only change this year is Maryland for UVA. Our loses to Hopkins, Townson, Rutgers and Army, if we increased our shooting percentage 5% to 27%, which is still incredibly low, we win those games, We should be 7-1

What happened to the team I saw scrimmage Villanova last fall? Crisp ball movement, great defense, where has that team gone.

It is time for Coach Toomey to right the ship, it is time to make some changes and with changes comes risk, but we cannot keep doing what we aer doing.
I think some of the Loyola faithful will have their eyes opened after the season, there is talk of players entering the portal and transfering. But that discussion is for another time
Great post about the locker room. My kid talks to boys on the team And that is exactly what he says they are saying. There is frustration. Seniors who don’t play and freshmen that don’t play are watching the same guys make the same mistakes game after game. Seay and Bateman were guys that were supposed to be veteran help. They haven’t played in weeks. We have a couple highly rated freshmen who haven’t gotten a sniff. You can’t convince me it’s because these kids aren’t working hard in practice because it’s every freshman and almost every non starter who never sees the field.
My son says the same thing about the locker room, That there is a deep frustration with lack of leadership on the team. The one leader that was appointed by the coaching staff to be a captain, has been buried. There are other seniors who are consistent at practice day in and day out, and are better, but never get a chance.

And I do believe there will be some exodus, from what I have heard from other parents and players. Not happy with the inconsistency of the coaching staff with dealing with players. There maybe some truth to what your last name is and who you know. I thought that was over in HS, guess not
I wish I new who you were Saturday I would have put you in a head lock and gave a Noogie.
Loyolalax

Post by Loyolalax »

Excellent D middie play at the 4:49 mark, we are man up

[youtube][/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt9acFjEdfU]

but we are getting better according to some
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

I'd encourage some of the newcomers to this forum to take a look at last year's thread around April 17, 2021 when we lost to Navy to go to 5-5. There was lots of talk about the wrong players getting playing time, the coaching staff failing to make adjustments, dissension in the locker room, and kids hitting the transfer portal at the end of the season.

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=1898&start=600#

Then we won 5 in a row and advanced to our 4th NCAA quarterfinal in 5 years. Suddenly the coaches knew what they were doing and the exodus never materialized. Quite the contrary, nearly everyone with a 5th year of eligibility came back, not to mention the underclassmen.

Losing sucks, and I get that everyone is frustrated and wants to point fingers at the culprit(s), but we need to keep things in perspective. The success that this program has had in the last decade didn't happen by accident.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

Thank You!!

My sentiments exactly.

Now let's get a win against the Crusaders.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

NovaHound wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:51 pm Thank You!!

My sentiments exactly.

Now let's get a win against the Crusaders.
The difference this year vs last year is how we are losing, we are losing in the fourth. We are not winning games that we should.

My point is that I do not think we have the ability to with the patriot league. We do not have that killer instinct to put teams away.

Big time players show up for big time games. It means nothing to have 7pts against a holy cross or a lafayette. It means something against an Army, BU, Navy etc.

In all honesty, this weeks game needs to be a blow out. If we do not win by 5 plus goals, this is not a good sign. We need to get the psyche of the team in the right direction.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

I agree a good steamroll would always help to get the mojo back. But at this point, just a win would do.

Are you serious or just looking to complain about the team with the rest? I don't think you are remembering or evaluating so well.

How we lost the games-

Last year we were outclassed in a lot of games from the opening whistle AND lost a couple games late.

We are not winning games that we should? Perhaps. On paper.

Last year we lost to a bad NAVY and bad Towson team. This year we lost to a bad Towson and bad Hopkins team.

I still think in this age of parity, it's tough to say that any neighborhood rivalry game is really a "should win" game.

But that's just me. Carry on.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 am I agree a good steamroll would always help to get the mojo back. But at this point, just a win would do.

Are you serious or just looking to complain about the team with the rest? I don't think you are remembering or evaluating so well.

How we lost the games-

Last year we were outclassed in a lot of games from the opening whistle AND lost a couple games late.

Last year we lost to a bad NAVY and bad Towson team. This year we lost to a bad Towson and bad Hopkins team.

I still think in this age of parity, it's tough to say that any neighborhood rivalry game is really a "should win" game.

Last year we got rolled by Army in the reg season and lost the second Navy game to them which was a tough loss considering we had just beat them at Navy like 10 days prior. We were not good last year until we essentially went on a late run and that was NOT fueled by offense...it was defense that carried the way late year. We won games like 10-9 and 9-7...we didn’t out score anyone expect Denver...we were a defense dependent team...and guess what, this year is no different...we have a veteran defense...

Parity is huge and I’m still in the camp that this Loyola team can beat any PL team...not debatable and we can also lose to almost any PL team...also not debatable.

So with that thought, I’m not giving up on this team as in the end it’s gonna take a 3 game win streak to make the ncaa. And nobody in the PL scares me...disclaimer is we can easily flare out as well.

We will see. Go beat HC this weekend, try and get right and then get ready for a big game with Navy.

Go Hounds!
Laxmaninamillion

Post by Laxmaninamillion »

Guys I’m out of here. My kid found out I’ve been posting and he’s pissed. Guess I need to let him deal with these things next year. Hope season improves and look forward to next year. Take care.
lorin

Post by lorin »

Laxmaninamillion wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 9:27 pm Guys I’m out of here. My kid found out I’ve been posting and he’s ticked. Guess I need to let him deal with these things next year. Hope season improves and look forward to next year. Take care.
Loser
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

GreyingHound wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:54 pm

I'd encourage some of the newcomers to this forum to take a look at last year's thread around April 17, 2021 when we lost to Navy to go to 5-5. There was lots of talk about the wrong players getting playing time, the coaching staff failing to make adjustments, dissension in the locker room, and kids hitting the transfer portal at the end of the season.

viewtopic.php?f=290&t=1898&start=600#

Then we won 5 in a row and advanced to our 4th NCAA quarterfinal in 5 years. Suddenly the coaches knew what they were doing and the exodus never materialized. Quite the contrary, nearly everyone with a 5th year of eligibility came back, not to mention the underclassmen.

Losing sucks, and I get that everyone is frustrated and wants to point fingers at the culprit(s), but we need to keep things in perspective. The success that this program has had in the last decade didn't happen by accident.
They really aren't playing that poorly. There are things to clean up for sure but close losses happen. They haven't really won a close game this season (I'm not counting Duke, we all saw how that played out). If they're the unlucky team that loses every close game then that's who they are. Sometimes it isn't your year. I think it'll balance out, hopefully at the right time.

On another note I wish IL did a better job sometimes. Rezanka is top ten in the whole country in CTs per game while using a short stick. That isn't a third team AA. I know stats aren't everything on defense but that is absolutely nuts and should matter. Meanwhile Wyers has not played nearly well enough to be an HM.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 11:22 am
kramerica.inc wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 10:34 am I agree a good steamroll would always help to get the mojo back. But at this point, just a win would do.

How we lost the games-

Last year we got rolled by Army in the reg season and lost the second Navy game to them which was a tough loss considering we had just beat them at Navy like 10 days prior. We were not good last year until we essentially went on a late run and that was NOT fueled by offense...it was defense that carried the way late year. We won games like 10-9 and 9-7...we didn’t out score anyone expect Denver...we were a defense dependent team...and guess what, this year is no different...we have a veteran defense...

Parity is huge and I’m still in the camp that this Loyola team can beat any PL team...not debatable and we can also lose to almost any PL team...also not debatable.

So with that thought, I’m not giving up on this team as in the end it’s gonna take a 3 game win streak to make the ncaa. And nobody in the PL scares me...disclaimer is we can easily flare out as well.

We will see. Go beat HC this weekend, try and get right and then get ready for a big game with Navy.

Go Hounds!
I think this team has a lot of potential on offense. They generate good looks pretty much always. Shooting is streaky, but that means they'll likely have a hot streak at some point too. The first half against Duke was sort of that. They seem to be figuring out some things they can do that they didn't have earlier this year or last year. They dominate short stick matchups most weeks and have started to develop some complimentary scoring (which might just become the primary if Higgins and Lindsey keep improving). I'm more worried about the defense because they've had some trouble with dodgers and picks from behind all year and they're still saving at 42% for the year (Shafer is 44%).
Loyolalaxgrad

Post by Loyolalaxgrad »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:18 pm

How we lost the games-

Go Hounds!
I think this team has a lot of potential on offense. They generate good looks pretty much always. Shooting is streaky, but that means they'll likely have a hot streak at some point too. The first half against Duke was sort of that. They seem to be figuring out some things they can do that they didn't have earlier this year or last year. They dominate short stick matchups most weeks and have started to develop some complimentary scoring (which might just become the primary if Higgins and Lindsey keep improving). I'm more worried about the defense because they've had some trouble with dodgers and picks from behind all year and they're still saving at 42% for the year (Shafer is 44%).
I thought Lindsey would have been stronger and faster especially coming off an injury, keep moving the ball, some 2man games and motion offense we can light up the scoreboard.

I agree some of our ssdms are struggling with dodgers and I will give Shafer a little pass, some of those shots are less than 10 and they are difficult. I still think it is more of a communication problem, the defense does not seem to be meshing.

I do see a big win this weekend, and hopefully some younger players can get into the game and show what they got.

Hopefully espn+ will have a good broadcast
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:04 pm

How we lost the games-

Go Hounds!
I thought Lindsey would have been stronger and faster especially coming off an injury, keep moving the ball, some 2man games and motion offense we can light up the scoreboard.

I agree some of our ssdms are struggling with dodgers and I will give Shafer a little pass, some of those shots are less than 10 and they are difficult. I still think it is more of a communication problem, the defense does not seem to be meshing.

I do see a big win this weekend, and hopefully some younger players can get into the game and show what they got.

The long poles are struggling with dodging too. Not just the SSDMs.

The problem in net is that we're 8 games in and still struggling. The longer it goes the more likely it is we're just a sub 50% team and those teams don't usually go far.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

How we lost the games-

Go Hounds!

The more you get the ball in the sticks of Kamish, James, and Higgins, the better...even add Poitras to that list...

If we can get complete games on defense, we will win games. Our defense is our staple. If it gets going we’re gonna be in the discussion in the PL tourney.

Go Hounds!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm

How we lost the games-

Go Hounds!

The more you get the ball in the sticks of Kamish, James, and Higgins, the better...even add Poitras to that list...

If we can get complete games on defense, we will win games. Our defense is our staple. If it gets going we’re gonna be in the discussion in the PL tourney.

Go Hounds!
You didn't list Olmstead there, which I agree with, but I think his role is something that needs to be thought about. He and Lindley are the only ones not coming off the field for stretches now and I'm not sure that is how it should be. For me Lindsey is showing enough to be the main ball carrier on attack when needed. Olmstead is at a real high number of turnovers and his shooting has been frankly poor. He was 1 for 11 against Army. I'm just curious what a six man lineup of Lindsey, Kamish, Lindley, Poitras, Higgins and James looks like. Maybe it isn't quite time to trust Lindsey like that yet but he got a lot of time and was pretty solid against Army.
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:19 pm
Laxfan#1969 wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 3:15 pm

How we lost the games-

Go Hounds!

Go Hounds!
You didn't list Olmstead there, which I agree with, but I think his role is something that needs to be thought about. He and Lindley are the only ones not coming off the field for stretches now and I'm not sure that is how it should be. For me Lindsey is showing enough to be the main ball carrier on attack when needed. Olmstead is at a real high number of turnovers and his shooting has been frankly poor. He was 1 for 11 against Army. I'm just curious what a six man lineup of Lindsey, Kamish, Lindley, Poitras, Higgins and James looks like. Maybe it isn't quite time to trust Lindsey like that yet but he got a lot of time and was pretty solid against Army.
I trust Kamish with the ball in his stick as much as anyone at this point. Like all guys, he is capable of making a mistake with the ball...but with him it’s very rare, he almost always makes the right play and rarely gets into spots where he doesn’t have an escape route...smart

I’m just a huge fan of James, Higgins, and Poitras...

But frankly I’m one that isn’t ask panicked about our offense. Just my opinion but if we play the type of defense we played for 3 qtrs against Duke and we do that consistently....we’re gonna go on a run...we have to play better for longer periods of time on the back end...period

And I think we can

I’m still a believer in this team

Go Hounds
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

I do too. I hope the Hounds start fast and keep the pedal to the floor. I am dying to see what guys like Taylor, Decker, Dixon, and McGorry can do, not to mention Seay and Bateman.
Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:04 pm Hopefully espn+ will have a good broadcast
OK, I am going to apologize in advance for the rest of this post, but I feel the comment above about a good ESPN+ broadcast gave me free license. Yes, I'm that guy who rants about the amateurish quality of some of the broadcasts. After a little introspection, I'm not sure why I'm so intolerant. I still remember listening to the 1999 quarterfinal game against Syracuse on AM radio in my car (because the reception was better in my car than in the house). And even driving around the DC beltway and up route 29 during the game to get closer to Baltimore because I was losing the signal. One would think that after enduring that game-day experience, I would welcome a shoddy streaming offering... But alas, it is not so. Maybe it's because I am so spoiled by the production quality of Loyola's home games. Chris Gunkel does an amazing job with the color commentary. He offers great insights - lots of times I have to rewind and rewatch to see what he saw in real time. And his self-deprecating humor is awesome. When Dave Cottle joins the booth, the depth of the analysis in incredible.

In contrast, Saturday is going to be rough. My intent isn't to insult Holy Cross, but they simply do not have the same level of talent working their games. It has gotten better since Loyola joined the PL, but the starting point was pretty dreadful. I remember watching a HC game where the announcer quite clearly did not know the rules and had no idea what he was watching. Even the rules for determining possession after a shot seemed to baffle him completely. Oh, and he referred to sticks (or crosses) as "nets" (now the Loyola player has the ball in his net). Saturday will be better than that, but not a lot.

My prediction is that the camera operator will use too tight a shot and we will all get seasick as they try to follow the ball all over the field. After a clean save and a quick outlet pass upfield, the camera will remain fixed on the goalie and we will miss the fast-break goal at the other end. At random times, the camera will focus on the players subbing on/off the field and completely miss the action that is happening behind the cage, and meanwhile the announcer will be talking about the similarities between lacrosse and field hockey.

There you have it. Those are my predictions for broadcast. I will have plenty of beer on hand.

And like others, I still have faith in this team. Go Hounds!
Laxfan#1969

Post by Laxfan#1969 »

GreyingHound wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:23 pm
I do too. I hope the Hounds start fast and keep the pedal to the floor. I am dying to see what guys like Taylor, Decker, Dixon, and McGorry can do, not to mention Seay and Bateman.
Loyolalaxgrad wrote: Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:04 pm Hopefully espn+ will have a good broadcast
OK, I am going to apologize in advance for the rest of this post, but I feel the comment above about a good ESPN+ broadcast gave me free license. Yes, I'm that guy who rants about the amateurish quality of some of the broadcasts. After a little introspection, I'm not sure why I'm so intolerant. I still remember listening to the 1999 quarterfinal game against Syracuse on AM radio in my car (because the reception was better in my car than in the house). And even driving around the DC beltway and up route 29 during the game to get closer to Baltimore because I was losing the signal. One would think that after enduring that game-day experience, I would welcome a shoddy streaming offering... But alas, it is not so. Maybe it's because I am so spoiled by the production quality of Loyola's home games. Chris Gunkel does an amazing job with the color commentary. He offers great insights - lots of times I have to rewind and rewatch to see what he saw in real time. And his self-deprecating humor is awesome. When Dave Cottle joins the booth, the depth of the analysis in incredible.

In contrast, Saturday is going to be rough. My intent isn't to insult Holy Cross, but they simply do not have the same level of talent working their games. It has gotten better since Loyola joined the PL, but the starting point was pretty dreadful. I remember watching a HC game where the announcer quite clearly did not know the rules and had no idea what he was watching. Even the rules for determining possession after a shot seemed to baffle him completely. Oh, and he referred to sticks (or crosses) as "nets" (now the Loyola player has the ball in his net). Saturday will be better than that, but not a lot.

My prediction is that the camera operator will use too tight a shot and we will all get seasick as they try to follow the ball all over the field. After a clean save and a quick outlet pass upfield, the camera will remain fixed on the goalie and we will miss the fast-break goal at the other end. At random times, the camera will focus on the players subbing on/off the field and completely miss the action that is happening behind the cage, and meanwhile the announcer will be talking about the similarities between lacrosse and field hockey.

There you have it. Those are my predictions for broadcast. I will have plenty of beer on hand.

And like others, I still have faith in this team. Go Hounds!
Hey, the good thing is the Hounds will be on national TV (CBSSN) 4 times in April which means for a guy like me that doesn’t get to many games, the in air production quality exponentially gets better. So we have that going for us!

I guess we will have to just suffer through the stream tomorrow.

Go Hounds!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”