Brown 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Brown 2022

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:28 pm Frustrating climax with the Brown last second shot ending -up on the goal line…..expect League tourney entry to be attained by way of deep tie-breaker application …expect multiple teams with 2 League losses….didn’t expect a repeat of Goalie CT’s 18 save game….nor, however, less than half that number….loose play early played heavily…winnable game……there will be others ….would like to see the freshman goalie (Johns Hopkins admit) get a shot vs. Umass next Sat…kids are pretty much playing to their capabilities ……need to overachieve by way of greater focus ….
Good comeback by Brown and good to see your top face-off man back out there. Agree that the last Ivy League Tournament will involve some deep tie-breaker action, but I'm thinking we could see a bunch of 3-3 teams (possibly Brown, Yale, Harvard?) fighting it out for that fourth spot? On the other hand this Harvard win over a good Brown squad could indicate that Harvard has that inside track for the 3/4 slot for the ILT.
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Tough loss clearly. Ask Penn and Yale how they feel losing by one? Harvard is an extremely solid team. Instead of folding, Brown scored three unanswered points and nearly a fourth that would have tied the game. Yes they should have not put themselves down by four and a lot of “could have and should haves”. If they have the senior leadership we hope they do they will right the ship and come out stronger in the early aspects of the coming games. It will be a tough ticket to the ILT but lots of lax left.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Given Bear's goalie's issues Sat, will be interested to see if opponents adjust rides to pressure him more. Remember Heacock on Kelly in the semifinal.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:16 pm Given Bear's goalie's issues Sat, will be interested to see if opponents adjust rides to pressure him more. Remember Heacock on Kelly in the semifinal.
If he can complete a 10-yard pass to Aughavin or TYK, Theriault can then just relax and watch the punt returners do their thing.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Can Opener wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:08 pm
bearlaxfan wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:16 pm Given Bear's goalie's issues Sat, will be interested to see if opponents adjust rides to pressure him more. Remember Heacock on Kelly in the semifinal.
If he can complete a 10-yard pass to Aughavin or TYK, Theriault can then just relax and watch the punt returners do their thing.
Maybe you missed the 1st quarter of the Harvard game.....
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Pretty decent 1st half, up 5-4 on UMass. Another game the Bears seem to be controlling—poor shooting and a few penalties keeping it close. Brown can hopefully burry some of these open shots in the 3rd Q.
middleAgedBear

Post by middleAgedBear »

Oh well. Win Ivy games only way in. Ugly game ugly loss. Some unhelpful ref calls but mostly self-harm.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

Probably one of the most uninspired, poorly coached games I’ve seen out of Brown in a long time.
—scoreless 1st Quarter
—25 minutes btw goals in the 2nd half
—I hope Daly starts making his players do push-up in practice when they send wide open shots 10 feet over the goal on attempted low to high rips
This vintage of the Brown Bears will be lucky to get an Ivy win at this rate

Credit to UMass D and Faceoff play in the second half looked very strong.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The NUMBERS make it look like a close game. The first half was a close game. The second half was not, and coming out of the half is... coaching?
Defense overall played ok- 10 in the shot clock era is acceptable I guess, goalie played well, doorstep goals and hands free 10 yards are gonna go in.
Getting 6 goals from the mids is not bad, but virtual donut from the attack?!
Bears are making every goalie they go against look like a potential AA.
I know I'm spoiled by the KempTulletMiller era, but wing play is not good.
Is anyone on this team left handed?
ETA: agree, 0-6 more likely than 4-2 (or better)
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

now the traditional spring break week off leading up to Princeton …..has been effective of late in beating P…..a must win realistically to stay Ivy tourney eligible….already many prognosticating 4 or 5 with 2 losses (or better)…..season over on April 2 would be tough…….Goal-tending adequate today….3rd qtr FO’s struggled ….Attack not resembling the early season….poor shot selection combined with solid Umass tending fatal….Canella always defense oriented and was today…not a Brown team that can dominate anyone…….. is underachieving for the last two weeks…..all lacrosse this week …..who leads ?!
Laxman23

Post by Laxman23 »

Ok a very disappointing and actually surprising loss. Last week’s game at Harvard was a tossup, and Harvard was fortunate to win. Now they are riding high at 2-0 in IL.
Is it better for Brown that number 2 Princeton lost today and is shown to be beatable or would it have been better for Princeton to come in 2-0 and possibly overlook Brown? I know I was not happy that UNC was blown out by OSU a few days prior to playing Brown. I know they were super focused and played well but Brown was tied in the fourth before losing by three.
I have no idea how Brown will do against Princeton. It would not surprise me to lose by six and yet I believe Brown has the capability and talent to win. So just to have some Brown discussion, is it better to be playing a 2-0 or a 1-1 Princeton?
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

So just to have some Brown discussion, is it better to be playing a 2-0 or a 1-1 Princeton?
IDK. Was it better for UMass to go on the road against a Brown team that was angry (not) and energized (not) after a league loss the previous week?
If P'ton is a young team and the loss shakes their confidence, 1-1 is better. If they're a mature team with good leadership and coaching Bears would be better off facing a 2-0 Tigers that might have been looking past them. I have a feeling angry 1-1 Princeton is a not-good matchup.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Counselor:
...season over on April 2 would be tough...
Can this team scrape 3 Ivy wins? All 3 home games left.

We're seeing Ivy's in the top 15 with freshmen making significant contributions. I understand loyalty to upperclassmen especially given the last 2 covid years, but can't the frosh get worked in as the season looks to be in trouble? Or given their practice performances, aren't they able to earn gameday runs?

Beat Princeton, make me want to delete this post!
Charlie Don't Surf

Post by Charlie Don't Surf »

No doubt the play this past SAT was uninspired, to say the least. But, I have no doubt at all that Brown CAN beat every team in the IL. The problem I saw was shooting percentage--7/46 (15%) is hideous. But, we know that the team is shooting 30% on the season. So, Brown shoots the season's average SAT, and you're looking at a pretty convincing W. And, having the shot clock expire four times, I believe, is not good. Brown needs to beat Princeton one ground ball, one clear, and one shot at a time. And, they need to practice shooting fundamentals every day this week. If they do, I strongly believe the current 3-game winning streak against the Tigers will continue.
Counselor

Post by Counselor »

Princeton will be forever jinxed at Brown as a result of their “then” head coach while on the field throwing a shoulder into a Brown player speeding off the field to the sideline…..their coach denying to Tiffany it happened but the video “didn’t lie”…..the Princeton AD took care of the rest…...the Lax gods will slant the field downhill for Brown all quarters Saturday ….and will view all successor P head coaches as having to bear the burden of the misdeed of their predecessor ….amen!
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Counselor wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:53 pm Princeton will be forever jinxed at Brown as a result of their “then” head coach while on the field throwing a shoulder into a Brown player speeding off the field to the sideline…..their coach denying to Tiffany it happened but the video “didn’t lie”…..the Princeton AD took care of the rest…...the Lax gods will slant the field downhill for Brown all quarters Saturday ….and will view all successor P head coaches as having to bear the burden of the misdeed of their predecessor ….amen!
Putting aside present day rivalries, it's been great to see the former Princeton head coach get a second act in lacrosse and, more importantly, with his family life. Longtime Ivy League fans will remember that Coach B became a widower and single dad to a young son when his wife passed away from cancer about a decade ago. Now he is thriving as head coach of the PLL Archers and as head coach of Philly's Episcopal Academy. Even more importantly, off the lacrosse field (where important stuff also happens), he's been co-starring in a "Brady Bunch, Lacrosse edition" -- happily remarried to someone from his old high school who was raising her son alone after losing her husband, a former Army lax player, to ALS. The two boys played together at Episcopal Academy and both now play college lacrosse (for Lafayette and Williams). Here's a nice article about the circumstances of the new family forming: https://www.delcotimes.com/2020/07/20/f ... -lacrosse/.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:49 pm
Counselor wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:53 pm Princeton will be forever jinxed at Brown as a result of their “then” head coach while on the field throwing a shoulder into a Brown player speeding off the field to the sideline…..their coach denying to Tiffany it happened but the video “didn’t lie”…..the Princeton AD took care of the rest…...the Lax gods will slant the field downhill for Brown all quarters Saturday ….and will view all successor P head coaches as having to bear the burden of the misdeed of their predecessor ….amen!
Putting aside present day rivalries, it's been great to see the former Princeton head coach get a second act in lacrosse and, more importantly, with his family life. Longtime Ivy League fans will remember that Coach B became a widower and single dad to a young son when his wife passed away from cancer about a decade ago. Now he is thriving as head coach of the PLL Archers and as head coach of Philly's Episcopal Academy. Even more importantly, off the lacrosse field (where important stuff also happens), he's been co-starring in a "Brady Bunch, Lacrosse edition" -- happily remarried to someone from his old high school who was raising her son alone after losing her husband, a former Army lax player, to ALS. The two boys played together at Episcopal Academy and both now play college lacrosse (for Lafayette and Williams). Here's a nice article about the circumstances of the new family forming: https://www.delcotimes.com/2020/07/20/f ... -lacrosse/.
Thanks for posting that. Everyone in life should be allowed one do over. It was really an unfortunate event that seemed to come out of nowhere.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

The Orfling wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:49 pm
Or really, a fourth act in the tri-state area, including the Wings.
Bates took the assistant position at Drexel under Randy Voight,
helping to turn that program into a top 20 team.
He took over as head coach, where unfortunately the cupboard
was bare starting off 1-10 in his first year as Drexel head coach,
6 years later they upset defending champion UVA and the
following year coming within an overtime loss of an NCAA
tournament berth.
That was quite a shocking series of developments with Tierney
taking the Denver job, in SE PA, and of course Bates moving to
Princeton, Murphy from Haverford College to Penn and then
Voelker from Penn to Drexel.
I’m fairly certain Voelker would not have taken that job were
it not for all the effort Bates putting into building that program.
With Bates’ kid at Lafayette, I’ll need to follow that program
more closely.
RopeUnit

Post by RopeUnit »

+1 on the Bates info, nice to hear.

Surprised to see that Brown has an RPI of 14 despite the 3 losses. Princeton currently #1, with Cornell Penn Yale all top 10 as well. So based on the schedule yet to play, Brown can still play their way into the NCAA's, even if they miss the Ivy Tournament. It's not going to happen unless they look much sharper in the coming weeks though. As noted above, if the Bears can clean up their shooting they'll have at least a hope for a W this weekend. The funny thing about the UMass game, despite all the shot clock violations, it looked like Brown was getting pretty good opportunities. They just couldn't hit the cage.

Princeton faceoff guy looked unbeatable in the 2nd half against Yale, who was amazing against Cornell the previous week. No clue how this will go, but have to imagine Brown needs a GB and TO advantage to stay close to Princeton. Despite all the talent on the defensive end for the Tigers, they haven't looked that great the past two games--perhaps just a reflection of their opponents. I'm certainly not betting on a Bears W, but hopeful it's close late and Brown can steal a W.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

Bears coming into the most important game of the year looking like a very average team. Average team losses are never always about 'one thing'. One week it will be goaltending, another week faceoffs, then attack shut down, then groundballs, then clearing, then...
Thought the UNC game showed real promise, but no consistent progress since then. Of the wins, SB and Vermont not looking great, Villanova a definite + win. That's the issue when you're a mid-major scheduling other mid-majors: you can't consistently project that your scheduled opps will be a help come tourney time. A 15 RPI (as an example) is useless if you're 8-7 without a top 10 win and can't make your league tourney or are one-and-done in it. And I understand about the difficulty in scheduling, but "it is what it is."
So... WIN THE GORRAM GAME!👍🏻

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”