Hobart 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Ketch

Re: Hobart 2022

Post by Ketch »

How can your whole freaking team be injured?
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

LeeRoggy: I really don't understand the poor shooting, but this has been something we have seen from Hobart for years. Even with the bad shooting, and Shea struggling at the X, we would still be winning this game (presumably) if there had not been a need to switch goalies.
LeeRoggy

Post by LeeRoggy »

I'm not blaming the defense on this one . . . 22 turnovers by Bryant and they are held to basically 50% shots on goal.

We should have blown this game open in the third quarter and our shooting turned PUTRID.

53 Shot attempts and 20 on goal???
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

We may not win another game the rest of the season. Just stunned. Really wish Holtby could have played in the second half.

If there’s truth to the rumor the GK change was planned, this whole staff can go. What a huge disappointment.
Last edited by FL-GO on Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FL-GO wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:09 pm We may not win another game the rest of the season. Just stunned. Really wish Holtby could have played in the second half.
If we don’t get Holtby back we definitely won’t win another game. We played the second half with essentially an empty net.
And yes, if this change was planned then the staff should be let go. Unreal.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

I haven't ever coached lacrosse before, so I don't know what you do to get a whole team to play 4 quarters. The coaches have them ready to play ... the first two quarters showed that... the skills are there ... the set plays are there ... the talent is there. Today we saw plenty of hustle. No one can say the team was flat. Simas had an outstanding game. Rosa started on attack and showed that he is a future leader. Bach is playing wonderfully. Archer scored well and made assists seamlessly. Shea and the middies were getting us possessions in the first half.
But then things just fell apart in the second half of the third quarter. Shot selection was poor, though that may have been a tightened Bryant D. But to let in 10 goals in a half? Loukas was not seeing the ball, but some of the goals were unstoppable. Two were from a yard in front of the crease. Getting hammered like that is terrible for a young goalie. In one way I hope the change was because Holtby got injured, but in another way, I sure don't want Holtby to be injured. This is not the position to be in while getting ready for St. Joes. And it definitely does not help recruiting.
I thought the SHU loss was due to a series of coaching errors and poor player decisions. But I don't know about today. I just saw breakdowns at an individual level across a range of positions.
Would it help to have Madonnna, Datillas, Baltzer back? No doubt. But there is something else to fix besides injuries. Feels like there is a cloud over the team at the moment.
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

GK change was planned prior to the game.
Can’t blame him for all the goals but he’s got to save at least a few. Can’t imagine what the coaches are seeing in practice the kid looked way out of his element
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Do we know that for a fact? I get that if you're coaching a JV team in high school, but it wouldn't make sense when you're playing Division I and trying to get into the tournament.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

catchnshoot wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:36 pm GK change was planned prior to the game.
Can’t blame him for all the goals but he’s got to save at least a few. Can’t imagine what the coaches are seeing in practice the kid looked way out of his element
If that’s the case then the coaching staff had no interest in winning the ballgame.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

If in fact the goalie change was planned, maybe the leadership council should talk to the coaches.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

catchnshoot wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:36 pm GK change was planned prior to the game.
Yes we can blame him. The first 5 goals they scored were to exactly the same spot. You cannot win at any level when a goalie has 2 saves on 13 shots. I have never seen a successful goalie at the college level that flops on so many shots. It puts you immediately out of position. The defense seemed out of sync from the half on. Once again, clearing was an adventure. And yes, the shooting detireorated as the 2nd half went on.The team is what their record says it is. A 2-4 record and 0-2 in league play. St. Joes beat a much improved Wagner team. As of now, we are unlikely (to put it mildly) to make the NEC tournament. After making the goalie switch (planned before the game. I am certain), this coaching staff needs to look in the mirror and admit they are screwing up. If not, well.........
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bart

Post by Bart »

You all should start donating to the baseball team. It’ll save you some angst
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

It’s hard to know what’s going on day to day in practice maybe Loukas has been killing it. Hopefully that’s the case and today was a blip.
But with all the guys we have out , Romm, Datellas, Madonna , Baltzer….
Why would you change the D unit that is not suffering injuries ?
Has Holtby really been the problem?
To Barts point about supporting baseball this GK switch feels like the old double switch in baseball that almost always simply makes you weaker at two spots .
Sadly they may have flushed the season down the drain today
Hopefully they win the rest
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

catchnshoot wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:02 pm It’s hard to know what’s going on day to day in practice maybe Loukas has been killing it. Hopefully that’s the case and today was a blip.
But with all the guys we have out , Romm, Datellas, Madonna , Baltzer….
Why would you change the D unit that is not suffering injuries ?
Has Holtby really been the problem?
To Barts point about supporting baseball this GK switch feels like the old double switch in baseball that almost always simply makes you weaker at two spots .
Sadly they may have flushed the season down the drain today
Hopefully they win the rest
It’s like in football. If you’ve got two starting quarterbacks, then you don’t have a starting quarterback. Raymond should have stuck with Holtby, or at least reinserted him when it became apparent that his little experiment was not working.
St. Joe’s must be licking its chops at this point knowing that they are going to blow us out of the water. That’s pretty much guaranteed with half of our roster injured. How is it even possible? Sure, other teams have injuries, but are they seriously missing 3-4 players in their starting lineup: Dattellas, Madonna, Baltzer, and I’m going to count Holtby as “injured” since he might as well be. That’s four starters right there. I’m sorry, but that’s flat out abnormal. Reminds me of the Syracuse Orange football team, where for any particular game massive portions of the team are missing due to injury. We are in deep trouble. This is a heavily senior laden team. If we don’t win some games this year I hate to think about what next year will bring.
Bartman

Post by Bartman »

At the game yesterday I was pumped in the first half, we had rebounded from a startling loss the week before. And then as the second half unfolded, I had to close my eyes at times when Bryant was on offense, because I couldn't watch the unraveling , but then had to listen to the Bryant bench cheers on each goal. I did see a few Statesmen respond well, desperately trying to score ,realizing the game/season was tanking .... the last two games tragically slipped away in the second half and seemed to be just weird bad karma. I did not play Lax , but I loved watching the wildness, spirit and toughness of the old crazy "Hobart Lax Bros" as the karma/spirit seemed to take over when needed....I don't know where the spirit has gone but I hope this team and coaches can find it and save the season...Some type of spiritual intervention/ceremony on the shores of the Seneca...perhaps with a keg of Genny Cream is necessary to help connect with the spirit
catchnshoot

Post by catchnshoot »

A keg of Genny Cream is the best idea I’ve seen posted on this thread in a long time!!!
Oh wait a minute you meant for the team, I was thinking for the fans!!!
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

So many choices available: kegs of Genny, Rites of Spring, the mudslide, or for the more psychotropically inclined, FolkFest.
Why is it that in my mind, Hobart lacrosse used to only be played on 75 degree, sunny, May days?

On a separate note, when the team left the field yesterday they looked positively sick .... four weeks of losses, all games that could have been won. There is another factor coming in that I haven't seen in a while, but which Hobart faced at the end of the TW years: these guys are forgetting how to win and are about to lose confidence (if they haven't already). I hope yesterday was rock bottom. Unfortunately, St. Joes is probably the best team in the league.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Team only meeting. Got to come together. Maybe if they had captains.....
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Assuming they now have scholarship money, better scour transfer portal and get some talent(see Rutgers).
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

FMUBart wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:36 pm Assuming they now have scholarship money, better scour transfer portal and get some talent(see Rutgers).
I still don't think talent is the problem. We're better off without Knox (though it would have been great to be able to hold onto Blanchard). The question is how to get the talent to execute, well, as a team, for 4 quarters. We have the talent to beat Cornell, SU, Bryant for multiple quarters. But we only play 3 quarters and they all play 4. I am thinking this team gets freaked out easily or something. I think its a team psychology problem. Maybe bring in a sports psychologist ... no joke. WS soccer does it regularly, and they are also regularly in the national semi-finals. [I'm told by folks on campus that they also have a reputation as the best conditioned team on campus and the team with the most self-discipline ... I'm told they annually impose a fully dry season on themselves).

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”