Johns Hopkins 2022

D1 Mens Lacrosse
youthathletics

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by youthathletics »

my bad..should have edited the original post. I found the ruling about 20 minutes later, and surprisingly, my post hadn't been buried yet. :lol:
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 8:19 am Interesting to see if all this continues in New Brunswick. I imagine it might. Certainly Bauer has earned the opportunity to see the field more - but we have seen less heralded players before have nice games and then it does not sustain itself for whatever reason. If he plays attack - he needs to contribute points - if Epstein is back and he is a mid-fielder then it's more of crapshoot and less opportunities.
I would not be surprised to see the same things continue next week and beyond. I have to imagine given the way the offense has looked of late this past week was spent having "open tryouts" with anything resembling seniority completely thrown out the window and the guys you saw out there were getting it done in practice.

Yesterday's lineup card and result makes me think of the "His Way, My Way" scene from Days of Thunder. Here's what happens when you properly execute what coach is telling you. Maybe it's not the "best lineup" according to your recruiting ranks or even some other metric, but maybe it works better together than something else under performing the sum of its parts.

Granted some of this may also be related to level of competition in some capacity, Michigan sure did beat the Blue Hens though :shrug:, but the offense looked to flow better with yesterdays combinations. Better and quicker and more decisive ball movement than we've seen in a bit. Certainly when things got cooking in the second half the ball wasn't dying in anyone's stick with regularity.

Right now Angelus to X attack seems like a no-brainer. I've been saying for weeks he's the only one on the team looking and acting like a first class dodging threat this year. Epstein is a shell of his former Freshman self in that regard and Desimone isn't looking quite the same as last year either. Again, maybe its level of competition or the tape got out but whatever was working last year hasn't kept going the same way this year.

As far as Epstein falling so far down the depth chart I don't know if that's solely performance or some more coaches dog house. You all sometimes like to speak in code around here and I'm not an inner circle member and didn't get to see the game from the stands yesterday but he was still out there on EMO. Can anyone comment on sideline demeanor or how engaged in the game he was otherwise from the bench?
HappyGilmore

Post by HappyGilmore »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:21 pm
HappyGilmore wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:56 pm
As for Epstein … he’s a leader respected by the team and elected as their leader. There’s only two three-time captains in Hopkins lacrosse history. By all reports, he’s a workaholic and a good student. He leads your team in points. He also has more career points than any other player on the roster. If coaches can’t find a place for that kind of player in their lineup, or if they are having “accountability” issues with him … then, yeah, I’m going to question those coaches rather than that young man.

DocBarrister
Problem with Epstein is his not Canadian.
My guess would be the problem with Epstein is his lack of ball security. He has too many turnovers and makes too many bad decisions, like the ill advised pass today on the EMO. He also lacks athleticism. Bauer was an upgrade. He got points minus the turnovers, plus he helped out on clears and ground balls. I suspect Epstein will have to work his way back on the field, but today's performance won't help him. Both Captains, Lyne and Epstein were relegated to EMO/Man Down today. DeSimone looked better today at midfield than he has the past few weeks struggling at attack.
Bauer should have been given a chance from the beginning of the year. His heart and drive are bigger than his size. For some reason Jr. has not given him a fair shot. Maybe his not one dimensional enough for Jr.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:35 am As far as Epstein falling so far down the depth chart I don't know if that's solely performance or some more coaches dog house. You all sometimes like to speak in code around here and I'm not an inner circle member and didn't get to see the game from the stands yesterday but he was still out there on EMO. Can anyone comment on sideline demeanor or how engaged in the game he was otherwise from the bench?
Couldn't see much on TV, but the cameras did pick up that he was the first one out to jump on and congratulate Bauer after his first career goal.

The fact that he was still playing EMO suggests this was not any kind of disciplinary decision, but rather a strategic one. If he were truly in the doghouse, he wouldn't be playing at all.

I could see them working him back into things out of the midfield. Get him matched up against some shorties and see if he can put some points on the board without the egregious turnovers in a lower pressure role. I don't think Angelus is coming off the field again this season provided he stays healthy.

Meanwhile Degnon is averaging 4 pts per game since moving to attack. Was nice to see Grimes back yesterday but I don't see how you can move #40 out of that spot now.

Fun to see the sophs (Peshko, McDermott, Grimes) back on a line together, except now as first middies instead of 2s. A glimpse of the future. Add Collison, English, and Marquis — three Canadians — to the mix next year and you might have something.
HappyGilmore wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:00 am Bauer should have been given a chance from the beginning of the year. His heart and drive are bigger than his size. For some reason Jr. has not given him a fair shot. Maybe his not one dimensional enough for Jr.
Bauer had played in five games and only had a single assist (in garbage time vs. UVA) to show for it. I'm very glad he played well yesterday and 100% agree he deserves to stay on the field in his more natural attack spot given that performance. But it's not like he hadn't been given opportunities prior to that.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:35 am As far as Epstein falling so far down the depth chart I don't know if that's solely performance or some more coaches dog house. You all sometimes like to speak in code around here and I'm not an inner circle member and didn't get to see the game from the stands yesterday but he was still out there on EMO. Can anyone comment on sideline demeanor or how engaged in the game he was otherwise from the bench?
As far as demanor - I think it would be hard to say anything unless you were on the sideline with him. It's not like in basketball where the whole world can see that Scottie Pippen doesn't want to go back in the game or a batter/pitcher tells the manager or a teammate to go f himself. 50+ people on the sideline and not enough cameras to catch a argument like the Allen/Payne dust-up on the WFT - now Commanders. I certainly saw him congratulate team mates on the first EMO score - I think he left the field to get defense on when Scott Smith scored after his turnover. Without seeing his demeanor and without trying to speak in code - was he happy and agreed with the decision to take him off the field? - I would bet alot he did not - with the only exception being if there's an unknown injury. Does he still support his teammates? I would also bet alot that he does.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

HappyGilmore wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:00 am Bauer should have been given a chance from the beginning of the year. His heart and drive are bigger than his size. For some reason Jr. has not given him a fair shot. Maybe his not one dimensional enough for Jr.
Bauer looked really good. I realize it's just once game but I hope this helps his confidence moving forward.
I really liked his game.
steel_hop

Post by steel_hop »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:09 pm … I don’t consider benching your leading scorer to be an exemplary coaching technique. If that’s what it took to bring chemistry to your offense, that’s not a good thing long term.

Blue Jays need Epstein down the road if they want to salvage the season.
A three time captain, even if he was the leading scorer, would understand that the team is bigger than the player. I have no idea what the issue is or why he was effectively "benched" this weekend but no matter what the team is more important. I also like the fact the coach is making adjustments and holding players accountable. That is how it should be...something the past regime didn't do. If that results in Epstein leaving and playing his COVID year somewhere else, so be it. (I wish him luck if he decides to do that). I said the same thing when Petro was canned when there was concern it might result in Epstein leaving. It is what it is but the team needs to move forward.

I agree with 16, that the offense looked a little better not leaps and bounds like many on here are talking about. The ball was moving better. Still seems to take forever to get into an offensive set and attack the goal. Some of this is personal - not many guys can just beat their man. Some of the personnel changes seemed to work this weekend. Hopefully, they continue to work against better opponents.

What the offense didn't do was turn the ball over that much. Given Hopkins struggling at FO and clearing (though this has gotten better), every offensive possession is important when you get less of them. If Hopkins was winning FOs at a 60ish percent clip, you can deal with 2-3 TOs from your ball carrying attackman. But, when you aren't getting possessions, you need to limit TOs.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:59 am
A three time captain, even if he was the leading scorer, would understand that the team is bigger than the player. I have no idea what the issue is or why he was effectively "benched" this weekend but no matter what the team is more important. I also like the fact the coach is making adjustments and holding players accountable. That is how it should be...something the past regime didn't do.
It definitely sends a message to the entire team. If your head is not in the game, you won't be either.
The last staff was all talk. This group takes action. They might not make the playoffs, but at least they're trying to win.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:04 am A glimpse of the future. Add Collison, English, and Marquis — three Canadians — to the mix next year and you might have something.
There's another Canadian - Billings - hard to find any real good film on him - I believe he might be from BC. Anyway - the one bit of clip I saw he was a man amongst boys from a size perspective so not much to say other than he's apparently 6'3" 200 lbs and can run
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

I wasn't in the fetal position, I have a life beyond lacrosse, Hopkins and this forum. Sorry to disappoint. I finally watched the game tonight.

Before the game comments, I've been harder on Epstein than anyone here but the kid clearly bleeds Hopkins blue and black in the way that we hope every kid with a similar passion for lacrosse should grow up wanting to and I'm glad we've had him for whatever it's been. His position on the field was changed-I didn't read the media stories and so I don't want to say demoted or benched, and don't know a better term, but most of the issues on the team throughout his career fall on two successive coaching staffs, administration factors outside the cordish lacrosse center according to members of the media, a pandemic and we could go on. Every year in every sport on every team there are redemption stories and you know how much this program, school and game mean to him.

Glad Krampf, Bauer and others got a chance. John Kastner's elevation and success his senior year was one of my favorite stories of that era. There are a lot of tewaraaton winning posters here according to their comments who would've poo pooed drastic changes like these if someone had suggested them, but they were necessary on offense.

That was the biggest inseason shakeup I can remember for this program since petro demoted some of the Rabilaires-the remnants of the 08 team for the transformative recruiting class of 2010 and I give the coaches credit for the shakeup for what was turning into a lost season. Angelus McDermott Degnon in particular looked renewed, and ball movement looked a lot better. Smith is a gallopping beast that gives us a few times a decade treat that kuhn and pellegrino gave us.

Zimmermans tribute to jerry schnydman on the broadcast was beautifully heartfelt. It was great to see President Brody back. Daniels showed up but he's made it his mission to go after the kind of student and Hopkins community that schydmann at least in my mind represented which valued Hopkins traditions like lacrosse and a more united campus. I'll take the program, homewood environment and university of that 04 maryland game over what the school looks like today all day.

Kirson had a nice game, he's gotten a lot better especially high. The faceoffs were anemic and prevented the office from getting going. Defense settled down nicely.

zimmerman said on the broadcast that conry told him "Michigan didn't fear homewood". I hope those comments made their way to a permanent bulletin board at the cordish lacrosse center. I vaguely remember him mostly as a bench player. Those were fat words for a guy who wasn't the difference as a player and who despite one of the biggest brands in sports at any level hasn't achieved anything as a coach.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

My highlights of the game with zoomed, slo-mo replays.

https://youtu.be/GRmY_0gltZw

0:09 - Angelus from Evans

0:22 - Smith

0:35 - Jaronski from Degnon

0:52 - Angelus

1:02 - Evans from Degnon

1:14 - Desimone from Angelus

1:21 - Degnon from Desimone

1:33 - Bauer from Angelus

1:45 - Bauer from Angelus

2:01 - Narewski waved off goal

2:15 - Degnon from Bauer

I would work Dunn into the game, but wouldn’t start him. He rarely clamps like Narewski, who prevents fast breaks. Matt got stronger as the game wore on. You can see him rounding into form.

Bauer’s ability to catch on the run probably prevented four failed clears. His one handed handle and wicked goal with 7.6 seconds to go in the 3rd was one of the keys to the win. Scoring the 11th goal, Dylan surprised the GK with his velocity.

Angelus is a true QB. Seven points was impressive, but he had four perfect feeds to the doorstep that weren’t converted. Peshko needs to throw one fake before shooting.

It was great to see Grimes back, but he didn’t appear to have his shooting legs.

Hawley continues to impress off the wings. He scooped two important GBs in the fourth. He led a fast break in the 1st with a perfect feed to Degnon whose shot was blocked.

There was more movement on offense in the 2nd and 4th quarters than we’ve seen all season. I would play more Evans and less McDermott.

The D better get back in the hole against a Rutgers team that loves to run.
Last edited by Hoponboard on Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

'06 your comments about Epstein ignore his injury - significant - specifically switching positions on the field and early recruiting which is a large, important reason - if you are talking about Carcaterra and QK as the media members who have raised "administration factors" - please

Comparing Hopkins today to '04 - well that's not unfair is it? 18 years ago? A team that lost one regular season game and was loaded with talent and experience. Do you think if Brody was around the team would be better and Hopkins student body would care more? What current students would you kick out exactly? If the team was ranked #1/#2 in the country coming off an appearance in the national championship game and had players like Kyle Harrison, Kevin Boland, Kyle Barrie, Conor Ford - the stands would have more students.
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 pm kind of student and Hopkins community that schydmann at least in my mind represented which valued Hopkins traditions like lacrosse and a more united campus.
Wow - there's enough code in there to break an Enigma machine

There's no need to fear any field in lacrosse except for the Dome maybe because it is so different from any other place. Basically the same number of people went to see the #2 team in the country - and a team with the best player in the country and a really fun team to watch as did Hopkins Michigan.
4700 saw Syracuse/Duke indoors. With TV/streaming and the focus on technology social media - nobody goes the to the games anymore. There are some schools - like Loyola - that garner some student sections - but very few.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 pm
zimmerman said on the broadcast that conry told him "Michigan didn't fear homewood". I hope those comments made their way to a permanent bulletin board at the cordish lacrosse center. I vaguely remember him mostly as a bench player. Those were fat words for a guy who wasn't the difference as a player and who despite one of the biggest brands in sports at any level hasn't achieved anything as a coach.
Did Conry sleep with your wife? Why all the hate?

There are a few “bench players” that have gone on to significant coaching positions. Conry has held many D1 coaching positions including DC at Maryland and landed one of the most sought after HC jobs in 2018. There have been a few ADs and D1 HCs that believe in him.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 pm Glad Krampf, Bauer and others got a chance.
Are you? Last week you said Bauer wasn't a D1 player. You just gonna pretend like that didn't happen?
jhu06 wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:46 pm zimmerman said on the broadcast that conry told him "Michigan didn't fear homewood". I hope those comments made their way to a permanent bulletin board at the cordish lacrosse center. I vaguely remember him mostly as a bench player. Those were fat words for a guy who wasn't the difference as a player and who despite one of the biggest brands in sports at any level hasn't achieved anything as a coach.
What a weird comment. That is generic coachspeak/motivation tactic that coaches use all the time. And, guess what, Michigan won at Homewood last year, so they didn't have much of a reason to fear playing there. As always, you are reading way too much into things.

Conry was quite successful as the Terps' D coordinator and of course won a title with them in 2017. His tenure so far at Michigan has been relatively lackluster but this is jut a weird attack on a guy who said something extremely anodyne to his players to boost their confidence. The only bulletin board that quote is going on is the one in your brain alongside the hot take that Dylan Bauer isn't a D1 player.

On a different note, HOB, think you forgot to include a link to your vid.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Link to highlights video.

jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Hoponboard wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:40 am Link to highlights video.

Better video than we got on the broadcast, well done as always
It was nice to hear zimmerman last weekend. Much better than carc mancrushing on syracuse or quint trying to talk about things other than the game.
Lyne shows up in HOB's video. Not sure why he disappeared or if he and epstein are returning to the lineup consistently. IL referred to it as "tinkering". Who fills that leadership vacuum on the field?
I did say he wasn't a d1 player. I can root for the human and also question whether the kid belongs on the field. We'll see what happens now that rutgers has tape on him.
Conry was strutting his stuff. The team he brought into Homewood didn't look faster, quicker, more athletic or bigger than Hopkins which is not what you'd expect from a program that has access to presumably some of the best athletic training on the planet.
For all the changes last weekend one class of the 5 on the roster-the true freshmen- did not seem to get in on the turnover.
Rutgers like michigan according to lacrossereference.com has a 20 something sos going into this weekends game while ours is now 3.
degnon hit every box on the score sheet goal assist pt shot sog gb ct except faceoff. Not sure what the term for it is, but not something we've seen too often. quite a line for an attacker.
https://hopkinssports.com/sports/mens-l ... core/15708
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/commits/jhu/2017
schilling/baskin/murphy/cohen/burnett attack gone
angelus recruited at attack then to middie now back at attack
keogh/mcdermott recruited at attack now at middie
grimes recruited at attack then to middie then to attack then hurt now at middie
epstein attack then benched then attack then benched again
dipietro zinn glassmeyer brunner handsor schreiber chambers (m)gone/hurt/not playing
mabett lilly (m)to ssdm
degnon (m)to attack
connor started as a middie then to attack now back at middie
krampf/peshko/bauer/raposo recruited and playing at those positions.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

It looks like on the Narewsky disallowed goal that he kind of tripped and ended up in the crease. He certainly didn't dive or propel himself in there. He may have tripped on the Michigan player's stick or maybe stepped on his foot.
If the other team can cause you to go in the crease and get the goal disallowed then that's the stupidest rule ever. You may as well push everybody in the crease after a goal. So so so so stupid.
Refs should try to interpret that in some kind of reasonable way.
In any case, I do not think this goal should have been disallowed.
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Legit call. Narewski wasn’t pushed. If he takes a slight angle, Jays are up by 4. Instead, 7 seconds later margin is cut to two.

Doubt that Matt makes that mistake again.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:19 am
steel_hop wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:59 am
A three time captain, even if he was the leading scorer, would understand that the team is bigger than the player. I have no idea what the issue is or why he was effectively "benched" this weekend but no matter what the team is more important. I also like the fact the coach is making adjustments and holding players accountable. That is how it should be...something the past regime didn't do.
It definitely sends a message to the entire team. If your head is not in the game, you won't be either.
The last staff was all talk. This group takes action. They might not make the playoffs, but at least they're trying to win.
Didn't this new coach do the same thing last year? OR call some kids out (Epstein) publicly? Or was that Petro?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:12 pm

It looks like on the Narewsky disallowed goal that he kind of tripped and ended up in the crease. He certainly didn't dive or propel himself in there. He may have tripped on the Michigan player's stick or maybe stepped on his foot.
If the other team can cause you to go in the crease and get the goal disallowed then that's the stupidest rule ever. You may as well push everybody in the crease after a goal. So so so so stupid.
Refs should try to interpret that in some kind of reasonable way.
In any case, I do not think this goal should have been disallowed.
if he touches the goalmouth in any way, no matter how he got there (i assume if he's carrying any momentum matters), then no interpretation allowed. push doesn't matter, trip doesn't matter. crosscheck, illegal body check, etc. goal's waived.

only interpretation is whether he's guilty of running into/touching the goalie and getting a one minute himself.

i assume we'll see changes to the rule.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”