D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Johns Hopkins 2022

Post by wgdsr »

GSP wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:37 am
wgdsr wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 6:10 am
GSP wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:58 pm
wgdsr wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:51 pm
Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:16 pm Playoff chances not looking so good right now according to Terry:

"To me, the Blue Jays’ only path to the NCAA Tournament is the Big Ten AQ. Right now, it’s possible none of their four wins will end up in the RPI Top 20, and two of their losses could be qualified as bad losses by the selection criteria. Could they beat Ohio State and Maryland in the regular season, beat Rutgers in the Big Ten Semis, lose in the Big Ten title game and have a favorable bubble resume? It’s possible, but seems unlikely."

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... aces/59185
leaving out the possibility the future may be different, but i might be one of the few people besides the selection committee that understands at larges for multiple normal years are straight rpi now.

hopkins is 16. if they can go 2 or 3 games over .500 in the b1g, my guess that'll put 'em inside 12. doesn't matter who they beat or lose to. only will matter how many conference upsets there are in title games in b1g, big east and ivy.
Pipe dream! Unless Hopkins goes 4 and 1 in the Big 10, it is AQ or go home. There are 9 AQs. So 7 At Large. ACC will get a minimum of 3 bids, UVA, Duke and UNC all far ahead of Hopkins. Ivy very likely to get 3 with Princeton, Penn, Cornell, Yale. Harvard and Brown are also ahead of Hopkins. Big 10 gets 1 with Rutgers and OSU all ahead of Hopkins. A loss to either Rutgers or OSU spells the end of the season. They only have 1 Top 20 win against a fading Jacksonville at #13. It is over!
oh, it's a pipe dream alright but finishing 2 games over .500 very well could get it done. duke is not far ahead of hopkins, they are 15 and hopkins is 16. the very likely ivies right now are princeton, cornell, and harvard. yale and brown are 14 and 13. penn's in ok shape, but start going under .500 in ivy things get tricky.
top 20 rpi wins doesn't matter anymore. jacksonville is #28.

there will be 8 at larges in the tournament. 10 aqs with 4 of them in play-ins.
Is there a Play-in game this year? Who are the 10 AQs?
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... ment/59215
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 12:16 pm Playoff chances not looking so good right now according to Terry:

"To me, the Blue Jays’ only path to the NCAA Tournament is the Big Ten AQ. Right now, it’s possible none of their four wins will end up in the RPI Top 20, and two of their losses could be qualified as bad losses by the selection criteria. Could they beat Ohio State and Maryland in the regular season, beat Rutgers in the Big Ten Semis, lose in the Big Ten title game and have a favorable bubble resume? It’s possible, but seems unlikely."

leaving out the possibility the future may be different, but i might be one of the few people besides the selection committee that understands at larges for multiple normal years are straight rpi now.

hopkins is 16. if they can go 2 or 3 games over .500 in the b1g, my guess that'll put 'em inside 12. doesn't matter who they beat or lose to. only will matter how many conference upsets there are in title games in b1g, big east and ivy.
Pipe dream! Unless Hopkins goes 4 and 1 in the Big 10, it is AQ or go home. There are 9 AQs. So 7 At Large. ACC will get a minimum of 3 bids, UVA, Duke and UNC all far ahead of Hopkins. Ivy very likely to get 3 with Princeton, Penn, Cornell, Yale. Harvard and Brown are also ahead of Hopkins. Big 10 gets 1 with Rutgers and OSU all ahead of Hopkins. A loss to either Rutgers or OSU spells the end of the season. They only have 1 Top 20 win against a fading Jacksonville at #13. It is over!
oh, it's a pipe dream alright but finishing 2 games over .500 very well could get it done. duke is not far ahead of hopkins, they are 15 and hopkins is 16. the very likely ivies right now are princeton, cornell, and harvard. yale and brown are 14 and 13. penn's in ok shape, but start going under .500 in ivy things get tricky.

I want some of what you are having! (Don't forget, W's against Michigan and PSU will not likely improve our SOS given their respective SOS; too old to figure out what a W will do to our RPI. Not to mention, PSU will be even lower by the time we play them.)

Absent the AQ, we need to at least go 4-1 (league) & 2-1 (tourney), with the "1" being Maryland. (Agree with Doc: gotta be a clear top 2 in the BiG.)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:49 am

I want some of what you are having! (Don't forget, W's against Michigan and PSU will not likely improve our SOS given their respective SOS; too old to figure out what a W will do to our RPI. Not to mention, PSU will be even lower by the time we play them.)

Absent the AQ, we need to at least go 4-1 (league) & 2-1 (tourney), with the "1" being Maryland. (Agree with Doc: gotta be a clear top 2 in the BiG.)
rpi does not care about who you beat. yes, the b1g is in worse shape than the ivy and acc with 2 teams in 30's + dragging down thus far.

however, tosu, rutgers and umd will balance that out, especially with:
- the pat league barely over .500
- the big east might sneak a bid or upset g'town in playoffs, but they have a # of teams dragging down, too

rpi will only look at:
- your final number
- your opponents' final record
- your opp' opp' final record.

those final 2 a team has no control over other than guessing the strength of opponents preseason and how they'll fare against them. but they will be 1 number each regardless.

it does not matter who you beat or lose to if selections are made on straight rpi. if they beat umd and tosu and lose to psu and michigan, exact same as vice versa.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Got a question. Which of the starters, or regular players, are ones which Milliman recruited?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Kirson and Szuluk as transfers
Callahan - I would think without looking it up - has taken the second most draws behind Dunn - no other freshman has played significantly

P.S. - Jennings has played as a transfer
P.S.S. - I went and looked it up - Callahan has appeared in 7 games as a face-off man - the ony other freshman that has appeared in more than 1 game is Kaufman who has appeared in a whopping 2

I have a question - the Hopkins stats sheet has Maher as appearing in one game - a) I don't believe that to be true is it? b) he is no longer on the roster
I thought he was out for the season before it started with a foot injury? Anyway - why would the injury dictate removal from the roster? i thought he was definitely going to be back.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Epstein and DeSo benched. Angelus to attack. Grimes back, at midfield.

Wow.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:55 pm Epstein and DeSo benched. Angelus to attack. Grimes back, at midfield.

Wow.
A - Angelus, Degnon, Krampf
M - Grimes, McDermott, Peshko
D - McManus, Smith, Szuluk
G - Kirson
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Are we about to witness The Ian Krampf Game
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:58 pm Are we about to witness The Ian Krampf Game
When was the last time Hopkins didn’t have a captain in the starting lineup?
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Ball movement is significantly better. I like getting Deso some shortie matchups.
primitiveskills

And the defense doesn't bother showing up today
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

primitiveskills wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:11 pm Ball movement is significantly better. I like getting Deso some shortie matchups.
A lot more inside looks. Peshko needs to cash those in. But the Jays O looks to be moving better early.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

flalax22 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:56 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:55 pm Epstein and DeSo benched. Angelus to attack. Grimes back, at midfield.

Wow.
G - Kirson
There’s nothing clever or smart about that move. If anything, it smacks of panic and desperation.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:16 pm

Wow.
G - Kirson
There’s nothing clever or smart about that move. If anything, it smacks of panic and desperation.

DocBarrister
Or accountability. But sure, let's enjoy watching a bunch of Hop fans second guess yet another group of Hopkins coaches.

Meanwhile, today Petro beat Duke, and held them to 10. Sad to see how Petro "forgot how to coach defense..."
primitiveskills

Wow.
G - Kirson

DocBarrister
Offense looks much better. Watch the game.
primitiveskills

a fan wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:19 pm

Wow.
G - Kirson

DocBarrister
Or accountability. But sure, let's enjoy watching a bunch of Hop fans second guess yet another group of Hopkins coaches.

Meanwhile, today Petro beat Duke, and held them to 10. Sad to see how Petro "forgot how to coach defense..."
Speaking of Petro, how many times did we have to listen to him talk about acountability without ever holding anyone acountable. I like that we have a coach that isn't about empty talk.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Wow.
G - Kirson

DocBarrister

Second guessing coaches is practically the definition of what fans do.

Why is lacrosse fandom full of overly sensitive types? Football fans have no issue with other fans second guessing coaches. That’s part of the fun.

Too many delicate flowers in lacrosse forums.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Smith just makes winning plays
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Wow.
G - Kirson

DocBarrister

no second guessing from me. After the loss to Navy, I suggested giving other guys more PT.
a fan

Post by a fan »

DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:32 pm Second guessing coaches is practically the definition of what fans do.
I've managed to follow Syracuse for 40 years without second guessing Simmie or Desko. I must have magic beans.

Or, I'm not at practices, and don't know what the F I'm talking about.
DocBarrister wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:32 pm Why is lacrosse fandom full of overly sensitive types?
Oh, i'm not sensitive. I'm just here to mock your stupid and uninformed comments, Doc. Because that's "part of being a fan", right?

20 years of being wrong, Doc. That has never stopped you before...I'm not naive enough to think you're going to stop being wrong.....

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”